• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
%5B(1446)-03-11-2003%5Dqueen.jpg

Hans Hansen, third son of Hans Pedersen, of the Bielke family, knew that this assigment was a far better fate than he could have hoped for. Third son of a member of the influental Bielke family, he had seen his oldest brother inherit the fief, his second-oldest brother sent of to a career in the Church, and had early in his life understood that his birth had fated him to never really become anything. New fiefs were rarely created, and as his oldest brother had sired a son, and then another, even the remote chance of the fief reverting to him was dashed.

He had served for 5 years as captain on his brothers two ships of war, his best hope being to seize a pirate and thus a ship to call his own, but the waters of the Baltic were quiet, patrolled as they were by both Danish, Swedish and Hanseatic navies. Short of a war and conquered lands, his fate seemed set in stone.

Untill that day less than a month ago. The meeting with Henning Podebusk had been short, not as much a meeting as a short statement. Hans Hansen were given the landless fief of Marienburg Havn along with 5 ships of war, and the rights to demand protection tax from Danish merchants in these waters, as well as said tax as he could gather from Hanseatic shipping, provided said ships were not harmed nor discouraged from trading in Marienburg.
All shipping not bound to or from Marienburg or other Teutonic harbours were not provided protection, and could be taxed as needed, to provide the upkeep of ships and men, replacement and repairs, as well as his own living. The fief was not inheritable, but in case of his death, the Crown would remember his service, and think of his heirs before assigning it elsewhere.
He could be replaced should Danish merchants or Teutonic authorities give reasonable complaints. He would serve the Danish Crown with honour. God help him in fullfilling these obligations. Have a nice journey.
Later, his uncle had reminded him that the Bielke family was proud of seeing this fief under their control, and that he would not let the family down. And, almost before he had time to think about why he had suddenly been elvated to landholding noble (even if he did actually not own anything, but rather commanded 5 ships), he and his wife Julie Rasmusdatter were on a merchantship, bound for Marienburg, where his command awaited him.

Hans Hansen til Marienburg Havn (Hans Hansen of Marienburg Harbour). It had a nice ring to it. Once in Marienburg, Hans had secured a loan against a security of one of his ships, and bought himself and his wife a house. He had then replaced the Teuton symbols on his new command with flags showing the white cross on red background, and banners displaying the three lions, and asked for an audience with the Hochmeister. Apart from commanding 5 ships of war, his task was also to serve as Danish representative whenever needed.

ships0ud.jpg

The arrival of the Danish envoy had generated a certain measure of interest in Marienburg. Most were well pleased with the arrangements the Grandmaster had negotiated with the Danish kingdom, and the exchange of Danish naval hegemony for a strengthening of the Teutonic army was beneficial to both, most knew. Of the General Chapter, only von Plauen, the Trappier, and von Tieffen, the Tressler, were known to have had reservations about the Danish mission, particularly the idea of a foreign nobleman having vested interests so close to Teutonic lands. Most, however, saw great potential in the arrangement.

kniprode4if.jpg
At his own suggestion, for his own reasons as well as the Grandmaster's, the Grand Hospitaler (Spittler), Wilhelm von Kniprode, sent an invitation to Hans Hansen for a comfortable dinner and visit at a small castle he administered near Danzig.

ships0ud.jpg

Hans Hansen and his wife, Julie Rasmusdatter, gladly accepted the invitation. To deny was unthinkable, both because of Hans' official mission, and because their social status, fragile so early after their arrival, would not recover if they turned down such an offer.

castle9um.jpg

The Kniprode castle sat at the top of a sheer cliff overlooking the Baltic, and afford – on clear days – a majestic view of the inlet leading into Danzig. From its summit, one could view the myriad of vessels that plied these vessels, from fishermen, Order customs vessels, foreign galleys, and an assortment of the usual Baltic cogs. The castle itself was a tall square of hard gray stone sitting atop a flat portion of the cliff top that had been literally hacked out with peasant labor.

As the night was typically stormy, the guests were unable to partake of the fine atmosphere unless they wished to be soaked. Inside, von Kniprode had done his best to enliven the interior, putting up extra tapestries and importing several fine pieces of furniture to make his study seem less Spartan. Though a little off guard, having to entertain both a nobleman and his wife, Kniprode was doing his best keep the conversation flowing. Partly it was intent to perform a polite service on behalf of the Grandmaster. On the other hand, it was also a good time to sound out the newly arrived Danish envoy.

kniprode4if.jpg

”Never had much use for ships, myself. Perhaps that is the lot of many in this Order. The reason you see so few ships about in the inlet is the transfer of so many crews into the army. Some of the merchants whine about security and some such, but when have the Prussians or Liths ever put to sea? No, with you here, Herr Hansen, I suspect the local nobility will become quite content. Please, sample some of this mutton. It’s not as tough as you might expect out here. I confess to a certain discomfort at the spare surroundings, Lady Julia. I trust it is not too burdensome?”

Enjoy a generous hunk of the meat, Kniprode paused in his conversation and took a moment to glance over his guests, not quite sure how to measure them. He gestured with his knife. ”You will soon be in a land full of great events, milord. The Lith and Prussians are a scourge, pagan raiders, defilers of our women---“ he said this last bit especially for the lady, ”and sacrilege by their very existence. We are most appreciative here in the Order that your kingdom is helping build the resources we need to accomplish this holy mission.” At last he finished the slice of mutton, and decided to send the conversation back to his guests. Outside the thunder rumbled, and the first rains began to lash the castle walls.

castle9um.jpg

Despite her best attempts of being polite, it was obvious that Julie didn't feel at home. von Kniprodes attempts couldn't hide that this was not a home normally used for social gatherings, and the very fact that the host had not brought a lady to the table was discomforting for her. Most of the time she spend silent, uncomfortable to enter a discussion about topics reserved for men, and missing a lady to discuss ladylike topics with.

Hans Hansen sensed his wifes discomfort, and reacted to it. A note of defensiveness entered his voice when he replied to the hosts remark concerning ships. Hans couldn't help but feel it as an attack on his position as not fitting for fighting men.
"Well, every kingdom, or other nation, has a use for a strong navy. I trust you receive many volunteers for your knightly ranks from overseas. And if not for the merchants, you would surely lack horses and weapons for your blessed work.
I have allways found that patrolling the waters on hunt for Hanseatic pirates is as much a fight as riding along a border. And when fighting starts at sea, breaking from it is difficult, often impossible, making them bloody affairs."

Such talk did off course not help Julies discomfort, and when von Kniprode later mentioned the pagans violations of christian ladies, her face grew first pale, then red with anger of such topics being mentioned in her presence. But she held her tongue, and merely put down her knife and stopped eating.

Hans, sensing her mood, tried his best to steer the conversation away from such topics, and into safer waters
"Yes, I can imagine... von Kniprode, I have only recently arrived, and plan to host a feast to celebrate my arrival. I will offcourse invite the high officials, but who else merits an invitation to such an event?"

castle9um.jpg

The meal progressed at an acceptable pace, and von Kniprode, so inexperienced at such social gatherings could count himself fortunate that it was not a disaster. There was only a faint tingling that Hansen’s wife was not completely at ease, but merely a faint one. Von Kniprode had no instinct for the feminine, being under an oath of chastity and a committed soldier for life. How the minds of females worked was beyond him, nor did it matter, as long as she was not disturbed enough to trouble her husband. Hansen, for his part, seemed to bear the conversation in enough stride. Von Kniprode saw little reason to alter his style. Yet his political tact, he could perhaps offer a small safe glimpse of that.

kniprode4if.jpg

”Ahhh, a feast, you say? Well, von Oerselen, the Ordensmarschal, is currently serving on the frontier with Lithuania. Keeping those rascals in line. If there is war soon, then we will all be preoccupied of course, yet von Wallenrode, our Preceptor, and the Hochmeister of course, are both monitoring the situation. A few of the Chapter members could be invited. Beissart is due to leave for Riga soon, but perhaps he can be persuaded. Von Tieffen, our Tressler, and von Plauen, our Trappier are sure to come.” Von Kniprode decided on some attempt to placate the lady. ”Lady Julia, perhaps we could invite some of the merchant families from Danzig and Koenigsberg? Not as sophisticated as Danish courts, I’m sure, but you might experience for yourself some of the Baltic flavor of these ports. I myself, rough exterior I exude, make it a point to keep in touch with such families. The orthodox line here in the Order can sometimes be too stringent, I feel.” And that was as far as von Kniprode would commit himself for the present, and continued to sample the roast peacock that someone had told him was fitting for these gatherings.

castle9um.jpg

Julie Rasmusdatter had thought that her husbonds assigment here was a major step forward for him, and thus her. But now she understood that it was a banishment. If this ox, who could not stop talking about war, was the finest in social gatherings this land could present, she would have a very hard time. However, at least her husbond had tried to open a new subject, and the ox had replied in kind. The least she could do was to keep her disgust for his primitive ways hidden, and she answered with her best fake smile.
"Yes, some of the merchants families would perhaps be a good idea. After all, it is for their protection that my husbond is here, and a good relation with them is at least as important as our relations with the men of the order."

Hans, who had witnessed his wife in numerous events such as these, recogniced her tone immediatly. However, having opened the subject, there was little he could to to close it so soon. Once, he had ordered his ship to ram an opponent, and now, he felt the same sense of foreboding disaster. The course was set, the wind filled the sails, and he could do nothing but watch, in awe, as the collision came closer. Only last seconds manouvering could prevent it now, and in this arena, he did not think von Kniprode in possesion of the required skills...

castle9um.jpg

Wilhelm looked closely at Julia, weighing her words. Was she being defiant, or was she voicing a hint of something he himself sometimes thought – in places where one could not be overhead. Surely, not, he judged, and held much back. He leaned back in his chair and exhaled expansively, clapping a hand over his stomach. ”Fine food! Fine food indeed.” He burped and then reached for his goblet. As he did so, he decided that he’d best keep the conversation moving, and picked up on what Julia had said.

kniprode4if.jpg

”In a sense, losing the fleet will be tragic for the Order. Oh, I am a good soldier, of course, and anything that helps our army will help us. Yet…there’s a sense of loss. Hard to grasp, really. But it’s there.” His eyes widened as he caught himself and he took another gulp of wine, followed by a second, more satisfied burp. ”Ah, yes. Well, I see no need to delay plans for your feast. I can send out the appropriate letters to those I mentioned, to make sure they’re aware of your social gathering.” He turned to Hansen, not wanting to exclude him from the discussion. ”Have you settled on a residence, Herr Hansen? Certainly nothing as gloomy as this. This is a soldier’s castle. Danzig is a fine city, nautical enough for your tastes, I’m sure.”

castle9um.jpg

Julie succesfuly hid her disgust as the knight burbed. Such happened, off course, but one could at least try to hide it politely. Kniprode had not even tried such, and only the fact that he was the host kept her from taking it as a dire insult. Now, it was only an insult, but she could overlook it, if she tried hard.'
In a voice as cold as she could make it without actually freezing anything, she replied to his offer of sending invitations.
"If you would send to your friends in the order, I will see that several merchants families are invited. Such invitations wil require more tact than writing to your fellow knights, I presume."

Hans cringed as his wifes words registrered, and jumped at the chance to discuss something else than social gatherings.

"Yes, herr von Kniprode, I have purchased a mansion from herr Helmuth Kesselring, a merchant I trust you know. I was forced to take a loan from the jew Abraham Rothstein, but I trust I will be able to pay that off in less than a years time. Though I suspect I shal be spending quite some time at sea. My ships need leading, and I have to learn the waters here. Knowing the area is as important to a captain as to a commander at land. Furthermore, I have to get to learn my captains. They will be going to battle alongside me, and we have to know each other."

castle9um.jpg

Von Kniprode laughed and slammed his hand on the table. ”Why that’s the beauty of the moneylender, Herr Hansen! If they charge to much, and they can be dealt with. Did you know there used to be six major moneylenders in Danzig two years ago? Rothstein is the only one left. His….eh, erstwhile competitors were a bit too greedy. The local garrison settled the situation.” He raised his goblet, as if in salute to the past deed. Hansen seemed a moderate fellow, though von Kniprode wondered if his wife was in the spirit of things. It mattered not, he decided.

kniprode4if.jpg

”Well, it is getting late and perhaps you two wish to retire for the evening? See me about those arrangements for your gathering, milady. I would be glad to help in any way I could. Herr Hansen, should you wish transportation to the docks on the morrow, I will put a horse at your disposal. The Order is grateful for the services you and your kingdom will provide. Until next time then.”

Last edited:
Hans Hansen enjoyed himself in Danzig. He had settled in, and after the almost disastrously introduction dinner with von Kniprode, his presentation celebration had been a great succes.

Julie, his wife, had enjoyed the oportunity to socialize with people who shared her views of a dinner in the higher circles, and Hans himself had managed, in his own opinion, the difficult balance being presenting himself as a noble to the knights and and presenting a facade to the wealthy merchants.
But these days he enjoyed being at sea, patrolling the waters and gathering his tolls. The assignment lived up to the high hopes he had harboured before being sent here.

The ship he had just finished inspecting, however, had avoided his protective toll. The captain had carried several letters for him. One from his father, Hans Gamle Jørgensen, who informed him that two of his cousins would arrive to take command of two of ships, under him off course. That was fine by Hans Hansen, who actually was joyed that he could repay some of his honour debts to the Bielke family. But being a lettercarrier in itself was not enough to avoid the tolls, however pleasant the letters. However, the captain had also carried further instructions from the Crown, and serving as royal courier did mean he was unable to tax the captain this time.

Among the letters were one to be passed on to the Teutonic Hochmeister, and thus, few days later, a hired courier brought the following to Konrad III Zollner von Rothstein.

Onto Hochmeister Konrad III Zollner von Rothstein.
I offer my prayers for Your health and for the success of Your holy mission in converting the pagans that borders the Baltics.
I bring my hopes that my sons appointed envoy, Hans Hansen, has settled in and fullfilled the expectations I, my son, and You, have to him. Should that not be the case, do not hesitate to let me know.

I write You to let You know that I have decided to grant the Order a minor estate in the city of Aarhus. From here, I and my son would be proud if the sons of Danish nobility could join the ranks of the Teutonic Order in Your impressive work in the name of Our Lord.

Allthough the estate is granted without conditions regarding leadership, I would be most pleased if You would appoint Lothar von Cronberg to the position. He has grown to know several Danish noblemen, not to mention my son, and that can only be a benefit should he be appointed to the office.

With the prayers of Denmark, of Norway, or myself and my son.
Margrethe
Mother of Oluf, King of Denmark, of Norway. Guardian of her son, Lady of Denmark.

forestroad7gt.jpg

”Get him! Don’t let him get away!” The officer bellowed and kicked the sides of his horse, which broke into an eventual gallop. Behind him, the two soldiers followed and the trio kicked up a high amount of dust as they rode out of the small village. Chickens squawked, peasants screamed, and one poor man dived into the mud to avoid them. Insolent heathens, the lot of them, he thought as he charged after his quarry.

Ahead, a young boy, clearly agile and knowledable of the terrain, raced down the road and, just as they seemed to be approaching him, dashed up the high earthen bank and into the edge of a forest thick with summer leaves. The officer swore as his men reined in near the embankment.

”Damn it all! He’s escaped. That’s the third time this month, foul Lith.”

One of his men, perhaps too young to know better, cocked his head. ”He’s just a kid, sir, and that was bread he stole. Besides, Liths don’t live this far west.” He quickly grew quiet as the officer glared at him.

”I’ll have you in the stocks if you don’t hold your tongue. You cannot trust the filthy heathens. They will respect no boundaries when it comes to the chaos they cause. And that boy you so meekly sympathize with is stealing from an army depot. I’ll not have anyone, man, woman, or child, stealing from the Order. We’ll find him, put a scout on his tail, and have his hand for this. Let’s get back.”

They rode back in silence, each man dealing with his own thoughts. Running down thieves was not glorious, the officer mused. But every little bit counted, or so he told himself.

rothstein29ne.jpg

Marienburg

The messenger bowed to the Grandmaster, trembling. ”Y.yes, milord. Those were the exact words. Samogitia, uh, will not be given up.” He bowed again to mask his fear.

Von Rothstein smiled grimly. ”Good then. I was hoping the Liths would stiffen at my proposal. Now we can settle this like men. Squire!” he bellowed, and a young man, nervous and excited, raced forward.

”Sword.”

tknights3xp.jpg

teutonic48ri.png

Heinrich Beissart, the Landmeister and envoy of the Grandmaster in Riga, presented himself with a touch of anticipation, sure that his missive would bring urgent unity to the Teutonic Order, setting aside the petty tensions of rival crusaders.

zum Wilhelm von Vrymersheim, Grandmaster of the Livonian Brothers of the Sword

Mein Bruder,

War calls to us. The pagans rally to their ragged standard and deem fit to stand against the Lord on the field of battle. Our diplomatic attempts to secure Samogitia and a land link between us has failed, the wretched pagans refusing a generous offer of compensation and non-aggression. Now is the time to act decisively, to overcome pagan foolhardy pride and advance the faith of our brothers and crush the resistance of these horrid people. We must secure Samogitia and with it, the souls of the inhabitants and a land-link between. Every step is being taken to ensure the support of our faithful allies in the region, as well as His Holiness in Rome. With your army joining us on the field,we cannot fail. Harken to the standard, brother!

May you continue to find peace in Our Lord,

Konrad III Zollner von Rothstein
Hochmeister, Der Deutscher Orden

Last edited:
Danzig, April 1384

The king of Sweden walked down the gangplank with quick steps onto the mainland of the harbour. His servant had a hard time trying to follow the king's long legs who walked over the harbour while the ship was being unloaded. He brought twenty Swedish horsemen and a few German footmen mobilized in Kalmar, but he couldn't wait for them at the moment. They unloaded way too slow and he was in too much of a hurry. From the moment he had got the letter he had been impatient to get away, this was a moment to gain glory and to impress the Swedish nobility before he'd join his father in heaven. It was also a way to really make sure he'd come to heaven, for each heathen he'd kill a sin would be made up for and he he had plenty to make up for. An opportunity that he couldn't miss.

He suddenly stopped and looked around himself looking for someone to ask. He couldn't ask someone who looked too poor, that'd both risk his health as the poor often had diseases and his reputation.

"You there, tell me something", he said and grabbed the merchant's shoulder. He was supervising a few men loading a cog with wooden boxes, and seemed to get irritated when he was interrupted. "What is your name, herr? Is the grand master still in Riga or if he isn't, where can I find him? My name is Albrecht von Mecklenburg and I'm the king of Sweden."

danzig5id.jpg

Danzig

The scramble to properly receive the Swedish King on his unannounced visit erupted the docks in a sort of controlled chaos. Within a spell of minutes, all workers and passerbys had been quickly, and sometimes roughly, shoved off to the sides. Guards, dressed in an assortment of liveries – customs officers, retainers from a pair of nobles in town, and several guards from the local garrison, rushed to form a proper, if hastily contrived reception for King Albrecht.

Moments after this hasty assembly had formed up into a measure of discipline, a pair of local officials bounded forward, looking excited and confused at the unexpected honor. The taller one, the Governor-General of the port, led a smaller, plumper figure, the Harbormaster.

”Ihre Majestät! We are flattered by your deigning to visit us here. The Grandmaster is currently in Marienburg, though word has been sent ahead by our fastest mount. In the meantime, I would be pleased if you were to take advantage of the meager comforts offered at the citadel? Though certainly they do little justice to our esteemed royal visitor, perhaps they may mediate some of the fatigue of your journey? Or, if you are in haste, I can provide suitable transportation for a trip to Marienburg?”

The pair awaited an answer with baited breath as a crowd began to gather, struggling to catch a glimpse of this German monarch of Sweden.

Danzig

Albrecht was getting more and more annoyed by the great stir his visit had made and the delay this caused him. He didn't really try to hide his feelings either and they could be easily be both seen in his face and heard in his annoyed voice.

"Are you saying that the grand master still is in Marienburg? I've heard rumours that he has gone to Lithuania on crusade, are these rumours true? I will ride to Marienburg myself together with my men, I'm not that old yet that I don't know how to ride. If I find it a suitable transportation it is a suitable transportation, the only thing I need from you is a fresh horse. My own animal seems to be ill from the long trip on the boat." His horse, a mare that he had got from his father a few years before he died and that was right now lead down the gangplank really didn't look healthy. The black horse stumbled on the wood and four men were trying to get her over without falling. She was an old horse, but Albrecht had never got around to get a new. He cursed his greediness now, she really didn't look like a royal steed when she finally stood on the ground there with shuddering legs and an old body. The ribs could be seen through the skin as she had been force fed during the trip with mixed result.

"Would that be possible, herr governor? I want the best steed you've got." He didn't see the need to thank them for the offer of a 'suitable transport'. His experience told him that would most likely mean a large carriage which would take a ridicolous amount of time to get here in the first place. He was comfortable on the horseback and the trip to Marienburg wasn't long.

Marienburg

The nobles in Danzig, having provided the Swedish monarch with a few choice mounts for the King and his entourage, had also sent word ahead to the Grandmaster in Marienburg. As he was still assembling the army in preparations for the march northward, von Rothstein eagerly made preparations for the reception, pleased that a Baltic monarch had personally come to his lands in time of war.

When the Swedish King arrived, two lines of immaculate Knights stood to receive him, the elite Ritterbrudern of the Order. Beyond them, each member of the Chapter formed up behind him, Grandmaster Konrad III Zollner von Rothstein waited to receive his royal visitor, mounted on his warhorse and appraising the King with a speculative and respectful air. He was anxious to discern what manner of man this King was, and if he was a visitor only, or a warrior.

450helm33aq.jpg
He nodded respectfully, and his men did the same, the Knights raising their lances in salute. It was all done with practiced precision.

"Ihrer Majestät, wilkommen im Marienburg. It is indeed an unexpected pleasure. You arrive at a fortuitous time. I'm just about to take my army north, and demonstrate the resolve of faith versus the pagans. Is there ought I can do for you?"

Marienburg

The king and his men rode with such speed that the messenger had hardly notified the grand master about the royal envoy heading their way before the king was outside the gates of Marienburg. However, despite the short notice the king got impressed by the welcome he recieved and gave pleased nods to the guards and the curious people who had gathered. When the grand master appeared the king gave a sigh of relief, he wasn't too late after all.

"Ihrer Majestät, wilkommen im Marienburg. It is indeed an unexpected pleasure. You arrive at a fortuitous time. I'm just about to take my army north, and demonstrate the resolve of faith versus the pagans. Is there ought I can do for you?"

"Your Excellency, that I have found you at last fills me with relief and happiness. I went here with haste when I got your letter but yet I was unsure if I would be swift enough to reach you in time. Let it be known that I have always admired you and your knights for what you sacrifice in the name of God.

Last edited:
Coat%20of%20arms.gif

URBANUS SEXTUS, EPISCOPUS, SERVUS SERVORIUM DEI, DECIMUS PEREGRINUS

UNTO HIS FAITHFUL EXCELLENCY, KONRAD III ZOLLNER VON ROTHSTEIN, GRANDMASTER OF THE TEUTONIC KNIGHTS AND ALL CHRISTIAN KINGDOMS OF EUROPE

For long has the Pagan Heathens been tolerated in the lands of Christendom; occupying Europe and influencing the Eastern Kingdoms in the Service of the One True God.

It has always been the duty of every abled-bodied Christian to convert the Heathen to the Service of Christ, or to remove the blemish from the body of the Church.

It is as Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Chuch, that I, Urbanus Sextus, Pontifex Maximus et Vicarius Christi, call upon the Nations of Europe to a Holy Crusade, against the Pagan Liths of Baltica.

I, Urbanus Sextus, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, recognize the current military conflict between the Teutonic Knights and their allies the Swedes against the Heathen Liths as Righteous and Holy in the Eyes of God.

INDICIUM ROMAE, ANNO DOMINI MCCCLXXXIV, SEPTUMDECIM ANNUS SUUS GLORIFICUS PONTIFICATE