• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
440champion9ox.jpg

Von Rothstein nodded in satisfaction at the King's words. "It is good for you to come then. When I sent the letter to Sweden, I had hoped for material aid or at least friendly support. That the monarch himself would come in person is an unexpected privilege. Do I understand correctly that Ihrer Majestät wishes to join us on our holy crusade?" He produced a scroll from his breast pocket and handed it over. "As you can see, Pope Urban has officially blessed this Crusade. Another sign that God is on our side. Will there be any more joining your contingent from Sweden?"

Through the perilous lands of Samogitia rode Gediminas Kubilius. His destination: Marienburg and the court of the Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order. He disguised himself as best he could, but it was quite difficult to blend in as a peasant riding a horse. Yet, he managed to gain an audience with the Grandmaster under the name of Konrad von Lübeck, a wealthy noble in Mecklemburg that Gediminas had invented. Now, he removed his chainmail coif and began to speak to the Grandmaster.

"I am not Konrad von Lübeck, I am a diplomat from the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, with an offer of peace. We will gladly come to peace in order for an alliance. Obviously, you would not be comfortable allying with us as we are considered pagans. However, our Grand Duke Jogaila is deeply considering conversion to Roman Catholicism and pledging fealty to the Roman pope. He has studied your holy book, the Bible, and has found your teachings to be most noble. He finds the idea of chivalric behavior and the noble crusade in the name of God to be true and most holy. Yet, be aware, there are numerous envoys attempting to convert us to Orthodox Christianity. If an alliance is refused, Jogaila would have to abandon Catholicism despite his great interest in it and devotion to its teachings for his people's safety and the integrity of his forefathers' nation by converting to Orthodox Christianity."

Danzig

100war_cog1.jpg

Thomas Mowbray, Lord Marshal of England, Earl of Nottingham, 6th Lord Mowbray and 7th Lord Segrave was standing on deck watching as the fleet entered Danzig harbour. Looking around he could see ships carrying the colours of England all around. The English fleet had arrived in Danzig with the soldiers the King had promised to the Order.
As the ship docked Thomas signalled to the three other ships that they should make preparation to dock and unload the men. Behind Thomas stood Henry Bolingbroke, 3rd Earl of Northampton also him looking as the sailors manoeuvred the English ships in to the harbour.

“Now Nottingham seems at least we got here without much trouble, but I wondered if the troubles have just started. That lot over there doesn’t look like they are aware off that we should be here….”

”Well Bolingbroke the King’s orders were very clear, these forces are going to be unloaded here no matter what the locals think…

”Well as long as they don’t think we have arrived to invade them… I guess they have enough war already. “

”Oh well I can’t imagine why they should think that… Well we shall soon know.
Now should we go ashore?”

Henry nodded and the two men walked ashore into Danzig harbour. Onboard the fleet preparations for the unloading of the forces were taken, and soon the first English soldiers should be able to set foot on land.

The two nobles walked into the office of the harbour master, and addressed the first man they could find.

”Excuse me good sir. We are two knights from England arriving here with several more English soldiers upon the request of your Grandmaster through his envoy in England. We are here to fight the pagan!
But we need to know where we could land our forces, and how we can get to the Grandmaster and the forces. Is he still in Marienburg?”

Danzig

Expecting the arrival of English troops, and pleased at the large contingent that was offloading, the harbormaster was in fine fettle has the English knights approached him in the docks. Only a week prior, the King of Sweden himself had landed and now this. Truly, the Order's cause was blessed. He bowed.

"Welcome, Anglanders. You honor us by your arrival here. Indeed, the Grandmaster is still gathering the army near Marienburg and would await you there. Are you and your men in need of mounts or supplies? I would be happy to provide whatever is required for a swift and safe journey." He made a note to send a message ahead to Marienburg to alert the Grandmaster. More good news to pass on, he thought with a smile.

A letter, bearing the Papal Seal, arrives at the camp of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights in Marienburg.

Coat%20of%20arms.gif

UNTO HIS FAITHFUL EXCELLENCY, KONRAD III ZOLLNER VON ROTHSTEIN, GRANDMASTER OF THE TEUTONIC KNIGHTS

Your Grace,
It has come to my knowledge that the Grand Duke of Lithuania will be converting to the One True Faith. You have completed your task committed to you in the Papal Bulle, Decimus Peregrinus. Your task shall now be shifted from one of offense to defense. The Eastern Orthodox Muscovites have declared war on our new Brothers in Christ. With priests going to be commissioned from Rome to Convert the Peasants of Lithuania, I charge you with protecting the lands of Lithuania from the Orthodox Muscovites. May God Bless your Mission and all those whom serve under you.

URBANUS SEXTUS, PONTIFEX MAXIMUS ET VICARIUS CHRISTI

INDICIUM SIENA, ANNO DOMINI MCCCLXXXIV, SEPTUMDECIM ANNUS SUUS GLORIFICUS PONTIFICATE

A letter arrives from Moscow.

mosc.bmp

To the Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order, Konrad Zollner von Rothstein,

Your Grace,
We look forward to putting aside our religious differences and beginning military cooperation against the Lithuanians. Unless we combine our forces, I fear the Liths will be able to defeat us seperately. Alone, our futures look bleak.

We hear that the Lithuanian Duke has chosen to suddenly convert to Catholicism in order to save himself from the diplomatic isolation he has caused himself. We hope you will see past Lithuania's false, desperate pretense of conversion and continue your war. We urge you to consider that Muscovy's war was provoked by Lithuania, and is not one of agression.

Signed,
Dmitrii Donskoi, Grand Duke of Muscovy

Marienburg, Camps

The couriers brought a message from Rome. Von Rothstein took one look at the contents and scowled. That the faith was governed by such a spineless pontiff. He crumpled the letter and set it above a nearby campfire, waiting for it to burn. After it became undistinguishable, a black ball of ash and burnt parchment, he handed it back to the knight who had handed it to him, his gloved hands managing to keep himself from burning the skin.

480dob73re.jpg
Von Rothstein looked evenly at the man. "Ride out a few miles south of the fortress and drop that. His Holiness' message was intercepted by pagan bandits and I, unfortunately, never received any news from Rome. I will take my vengeance for this act of thievery out on the pagans. My army will leave tomorrow. Any further news from Rome..." he thought for a moment. "...can wait until after we are victorious."

He turned to von Oerselen, his Ordensmarschal and the perfect fanatic for the task. "Follow him. Make sure he does what I say. Take no chances." After Adolf had nodded and galloped off after the courier, Von Rothstein turned to another nearby knight. "Inform the Swedish King that our army marches north tomorrow morning. I understand we'll be receiving English guests, so they will have to meet us on the route of march."

Satisfied that his orders were being carried out, Von Rothstein sighed with contentment, all thoughts of letters out of his mind since, after all, he had never received one.

Danzig

Henry looked out at the unloading of the troops, as Thomas talked to the harbour master, the unloading was going on quickly, it seemed like the locals knew what they should do and that they actually stood ready the moment the fleet had been spotted. Henry though they would be able to ride out the same afternoon.
Thomas smiled at the harbour master.

”We are glad to hear that we are expected, and it seems like your men really know how to handle the unloading, we thank you for the assistance!
At the moment we have no need for supplies, but we have lost some mounts on the voyage, and if you could supply us with some more that would be great, after that we shall leave to join the Grandmaster and the army!”

As the unloading continued and the harbour master supplied them with the extra horses they needed the English army was soon ready to march to war

On the march

00000140.jpg

The English army had left Danzig the same afternoon, and made good pace through the lands of the Teutonic knights until nightfall when they made camp. Early the next morning the camp was truck and the army continued on the march. In the lead were the Lord Marshall and Henry Bolingbroke. They had just received a message from the Grandmaster. The Teutonic army and the Swedish king with his force was about to leave Marienburg, and as such the Grandmaster recommended that the English army should meet up with the other force on the march.
Now they were advancing fast through the countryside to meet with the Grandmaster as soon as possible.
As they approached a hill one of the scouts came galloping back to the forces

“We got a large army ahead, milord. From what I could understand it was the banners of the Teutonic order as well as some other colours I didn’t recognize!”

”Thank you James.
Well Bolingbroke the other banners must be the Swedish don’t you think?”

“Yes, it would seem some. Now should we meet up with the Grandmaster?”

”Yes, blow the horns so they know we are here!
Captain send some riders ahead to inform the knights that the English army have arrive!”

“Yes, milord!”

So the English army crossed the hill to meet the Teutonic and Swedish army ahead, as they crossed the hill they look down on a large army of knights ready for war.

Marienburg

AlbrektavMecklenburg.jpg

"It is good for you to come then. When I sent the letter to Sweden, I had hoped for material aid or at least friendly support. That the monarch himself would come in person is an unexpected privilege. Do I understand correctly that Ihrer Majestät wishes to join us on our holy crusade. As you can see, Pope Urban has officially blessed this Crusade. Another sign that God is on our side. Will there be any more joining your contingent from Sweden?"

Albrecht knew the grand master would ask, and he had prepared the response for weeks. However, the letter from the pope had come as an unexpected surprise, and an unfortunate one too. He was almost sure that the pope wouldn't issue a bull for such a relatively unimportant skirmish. The pope(s) were as far as Albrecht knew busy with excommunicating eachother and trying to get as many mighty followers throughout Europe as possible, by any means. Albrecht took the letter from the grand master and read it, twice. It seemed to be real, although the first sentence in the fourth paragraph confused him greatly.

I, Urbanus Sextus, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, recognize the current military conflict between the Teutonic Knights and their allies the Swedes against the Heathen Liths as Righteous and Holy in the Eyes of God.

Albrecht touched the seal, commonly known as the bulla, with his fingers. He watched it closely and tried to remember other bulla's he had recieved and studied intentionally, so that he would recognize a false one when he saw one. He couldn't find anything different on this one though...

"Why do you show me a false letter, herr hochmeister?" he said, apparently suddenly convinced that the letter couldn't be real. He gave back the letter to the man in front of him with disgust in his eyes. As he wasn't entirely sure he didn't discard it, but he tried to make his voice sound as if there was no doubt. He must.

"The bulla must be false, the man who wrote this letter had no understanding about the political situation in Sweden. It was not the Holy Father. My men and I are here mainly to observe, rather than to fight, herr hochmeister. I wish to know a few things about this so called 'crusade' but..." He looked around with troubled eyes. They were surrounded by lots of knights, peasants and other curious rabble. This had already given the two men too much unwanted attention and it would probably be on everyone's lips during the day "...perhaps this is better discussed in private, herr hochmeister."

Last edited:
420waiting34xu.jpg

Cursed Kings and their politics! Von Rothstein's eyes flared as he listened to Albrecht declare the bulle a false one. What was this nonsense? The man actually seemed to be equivocating. Politics only weighed a man down, weakened his service to his Lord God. Without a word, he stonily gestured to a copse of woods and trotted towards it, assuming Albrecht would follow. Privacy, indeed. What words spoken on glorious crusade would require privacy.

He watched to make sure his guards were keeping their distance - but not too far - and wheeled his horse around. The coldness was seeping into his voice as he said, "So this Papal Bulle is false, you say. Perhaps you might care to explain those words carefully, Ihrer Majestät?"

From a distance, they could hear horns blare. He turned to look and spotted banners approaching, the red and gold banners of Englishmen. Good. Perhaps they have come without the baggage of politics. Waving to von Oerselen, he dispatched a group of riders to ride out to meet them. He turned back to Albrecht.

On the march

00000140.jpg

About halfway between the two armies the riders dispatched by the English commanders and the Grandmaster met. After hearing word that the army in front of them really was the Teutonic, the English army was order to advance forward to join up with the other army. The cavalry rode ahead since Henry and Thomas would like to meet the Grandmaster that they had heard so many tales of.
Approaching the Teutonic army they ask to be taken to the Grandmaster, and once in front of him they bow to the man.

”Noble Grandmaster His Majesty the King of England sends his best wishes for the war and as promised an English army to aid in the struggle!
My name is Thomas Mowbray, Lord Marshal of England, Earl of Nottingham, 6th Lord Mowbray and 7th Lord Segrave and I am the commander of the army.
This here is my second in command Henry Bolingbroke, 3rd Earl of Northampton. We are both honoured to meet you Grandmaster.
Now I understand you have some plans for this war, and rumours tells us that His Majesty the King of Sweden should be around as well so we would be honoured if you would inform us about your plans and introduce us to the King.”

Outside the walls of Samogitia

Wilhelm von Vrymersheim stalked outside the walls of Samogitia, watching the seige settle in. He strode over to von Rothstein. "Well, Grandmaster, now what? Samogitia resists, and rumor puts the Liths at the walls of Moscow. If they take it, or drive the Russians to peace, where will we be?" He shook his head angrily, then raised his sword and pointed it at the walls.

"We must assault. Give them one chance to surrender and, if they refuse, storm the city and put all within to the sword. Give the order, Grandmaster, and the Livonians will take to the vangard. Give the order."

Wilhelm von Vrymersheim rejoined his retinue. "What is the command from the grand Teutons," asked Peter von Dersch in a voice that dripped with contempt.

The Livonian Master removed his helm, and his knights could see the dark fire in his eyes. "We assault. We breach the walls of Samogitia and we put all inside to the sword - either the sword in our hand or, if they are comely enough, the other sword." The Knights laughed, but with an edge of anticipation.

von Vrymersheim knelt down slowly, his armor clanking. "Send the mercenaries against the wall here," he said, sketching a rough map in the dirt with his dagger. "When the enemy is busy slaughtering them, have the infantry charge for the wall with ladders and axes. When they make a breach, we will ride into it. If they fail to make a breach, we will ride to extract them. Simple. Even a Teuton could handle it."

He rose slowly, and his joints made almost as much noise as his armor. Age. If boredom does not take me, age will, and soon enough. I must taste blood again first, I must live in battle before I die, he thought grimly. He slammed a mailed fist against mailed palm. "Tell the infantry this - if we beat the Teutons into the wall, their commanders shall turn a blind eye toward whatever they get up to in Samogitia. But if the Teutons get in the city first, I will encamp them outside, and deny them any looting rights. If that doesn't fire them up, nothing well."

Peter von Dersch laughed at that. "Just so, Master. Better a warm Lith woman to take inside the walls then a cold camp among the dead!"

von Vrymersheim felt a Lith spear slam into his armor on the wall of Samogitia. With wince he spun about and slammed his sword down on the man's skull, splitting it asunder. Someone else was pounding on his back with a club, and another fool had wrapped his arms around the Livonian's legs and was trying to pull him down. von Vrymersheim was no fool; he knew if he fell in this melee the Lith peasants would be on him in seconds, driving knives into the joints of his armor.

With a strength that he sometimes forgot he had, he tore one leg from the Lith's grasp and brought his iron boot down on his face. He felt as a distant jar the nose and forehead shatter. The Master of the Livonian Order wheeled about clumsily, blessing and cursing his heavy armor in the same breath, and ran the Lith with the club through the stomach. His sword stuck there for a moment, and he found himself gasping for breath as he planted his gore-encrusted foot upon the Lith's chest and ripped his sword out.

Momentarily free of attackers, von Vrymersheim took a moment to review the situation. They were on the wall, but it was tight. His Livonians were attacking with the ferocity of men who knew their next hot meal was behind the walls, but the Liths were fighting for their lives.

It will be a close run thing, either way, he thought. He looked back to the camp of the Teutons. They stood there, a metal wall, watching their Livonian dogs attack Samogitia alone. The Livonian roared at them from across the field. "Come on, you cowards! Charge, and we take the city! Charge, you cursed cowards!" His bellows were consumed by the noise of the field.

He turned, and saw the left of the Livonian line collapse under a sudden assault from the defenders. "For the love of God, more men to the left," he shouted, but he knew it was already over. In the confusion of the wall, no one was going to listen to him. He almost wept as two Livonian banners went down in the mud, and his knights began to stream off the wall. Below, the mingled shattered bodies of Livonians and Liths told of the ferocity of the battle.

But the Liths had won the day.

The Master stayed upon the wall a moment longer, enough time to plant the Livonian flag upon a high point, where a breeze from the fires burning in Samogitia whipped it out for all to see.

von Vrymersheim climbed down the wall, among his retreating men. He raged at them, cursed them, slapped some with the flat of his sword and ran others through, but he couldn't stop their collapse. He heard a ragged cheer go up from the walls and turned in time to see them chop down the Livonian banner and toss it into the flames below.

The assault on Samogitia had failed.

Leaving his retinue to get his men in order, von Vrymersheim stalked over to where von Rothstein, impassive as stone. "We could have taken them, Grandmaster, if you had ordered your knights into battle. We had the wall. Why, why in the name of God did you hesitate?"