• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Hmmmmm, that sounds quite right to me however, we would like to have possesion of the Drendtse Landen and the City of Groningen because of it's proximity to the Friesian border. That shouldn't be much of a pain for Gelre as Drente is notorious for it's uselesness. Maybe with those lands in place my Liege would make Duke Stefan viscount of Friesland hmmm?"

"I see no reason why not. From the Ijssel north all land is know as useless, and you may gladly have a few more sheep to look after. And allthough Groningen and it's surroundings are somewhat usefull, it might be slightly impractical to keep that city with all the wasteland separating our Ducal residence and that city."

rup12gx.jpg

Well I consider we can continue with the next issue in our meeting after we reached an accord in military issue. Economical issue, It's my opinion we shall have a preferencial agreement to sell and buy products from our lands, and help each other in getting rare resources that one would be able to get by other treaties or in a war treasure.

While the elector was speaking a Letter reached from Count-Palatine Ruprecht, from the Castle in Amberg.

I'm sorry to have lasted so much into sending this letter, but some infortunate problems already solved in our Oberpfalz lands had mantained me occuppied, but that's not the important thing, I have to announce my Wife Countess Anna von Zollern, gave birth to my fourth son that will bear the name Johann, may all our lands rejoice with this news and more for my father and my grandmother that has more descendents to joy of. Anna and Johan are ok.
A happy and proud father.
Count Palatine Ruprecht von Wittelsbach

After reading the Letter the Heir Apparent Ruprecht called his servants and indicated them to prepare a great dinner for him, the Elector and the guests, as this news needed a Celebration.

"Happy tidings indeed, I congratulate you and your family," said the eldest of the Wilhelms, and after some mumbling by the other two, "And offcourse, I do so on behalf of my cousin and son too. Now, as to trade. I believe it would be vital for us to secure the Ijssel river, as if we have that we control the mouths of the great Rhine river, and with that we could, if we cooperate, gain all these resources you speak off without much trouble. But indeed, preferential treatment could be usefull, that is certain."

Stefan was a fraction quicker then the Count of Bayreuth.

"I would like to congratulate you and the rest of the Pfalzian Branch with this newborn child, may he grow strong and healthy."

The Count of Bayreuth looked less happy at first but he forced himself to smile

"Milord, on behalf of my Liege and myself I would like to congratulate you and your family. Now onto the economic matters, as we speak a representative of Duke Albrecht and the city of Delft is negotiating with the King of England. If he succeeds then the transport of English whool will from now on go through Holland instead of Flanders. With your aid we will probably be able to make the Flemish cloth industry move to Holland and perhaps Gelre as well.

If we gain controll of the IJssel which shouldn't be to much of a trouble if we all cooporate and aid eachother coordinated then we really must take active controll of the Frisian lands otherwise the IJssel shipping will be interdicted by those pirates. Unfortunantly storms and flooding have once again delayed our planned expedition into Friesland. However it could go through if we could march through Gelre and the Oversticht maybe enabling us to gain both of our objectives." The last sentence was sad with a bit of a evil grin though it could be interpeted in both ways...

This new idea slightly shocked Wilhelm of Gelre.

"You ae a friend, indeed, but you do know that bands of warriors marching through your lands isn't exactly a healthy thing, as some hired thugs could return to what they really are, thugs, or simply decide to start a mutiny and attempt to seize our cities.

However, I agree that the idea has merit. Perhaps, if your forces marched through the extreme north of Gelre, something could be arranged. Offcourse, this means your troops would have to march straight past the Bisshops residence in Utrecht, but that can hardly be a problem. My forces could even follow shortly after yours, to ensure safe supply lines for your troops, and to ensure we keep the control we gain over the banks of the Ijssel.

rup2ha4yw.jpg

Interesting ideas over the Ijssel, but we would have a major problem with it as is an Imperial Land, so we shall send orders to the Diet to negotiate this and we all know the Actual Emperor is a bit....Inactive and not too likely to support our petitions or ideas, while would do of little inofensive Princes with greedy ideas.

"Well you see your Grace, the Frisian lands have been given to the ancestors of my Liege many many years ago. Our armies would just seize what is rightfully our. Furthermore, we need to secure our supplylines isn't it? We are Imperial Princes, we have every right to take the road through the Oversticht. However there are many robberbarons and dishonourable people in the Oversticht, it is a mismanaged part of the Empire. If we are attacked or otherewise hindered in our rightfull actions, wouldn't it be logical for us to defend ourselves and clean the mess?"

rup2ha4yw.jpg

You are right in that and we have to make our rights as Imperial Princes to be displayed but I'm worried some greedy Prince or the Emperor would try to fall over us if we don't act carefully

Offcourse we'll be carefull. But who doesn't dare, doesn't win. I'd still be twiddling thumbs in Jülich and Gelre would still be the scene of a messy civil war if I hadn't dared anything. It's not so hard to get Imperial approval once you have established complete control of a region.

A letter arrived in Heidelberg, for the reading of the Elector Palatine.

"Elizabeth, by the grace of God, Queen of Dalmatia, Croatia, Slavonia, and Transylvania, to the noble Ruphrecht I von Wittelsbach, Elector Palatine, and the entire house of Wittelsbach, greetings.

It is perhaps best that I introduce myself to you first. I am none other than Elizabeth, the daughter of King Stephen of Dalmatia, brother of King Lajos of Hungary, and your own cousin Margareta von Wittelsbach. She was the daughter of your uncle, the late Emperor Louis IV. For these past few years, I have been devoid of any contact with the outside world, for I was in a monastery. Now I am as one restored to live, yet I stand alone, without father nor mother, brother nor sister. I hope that the House of Wittelsbach will welcome me, as their daughter and their sister, in honour of my late mother, and of the same blood than rans in our veins. I have no other kin, hence why I look to you, the kindred of my mother.

On June 1st, we will be marrying ourselves to Charles, King of Naples, who is the father of our two sons...the first born before my marraige to Philip of Taranto, and the second after my widowhood. I stand ashamed of my sins, for which I have already received absolution, and which I now seek to rectify by this marriage; let he who is without sin cast the first stone. We would be most delighted if you would grace us with your presence at our nuptials, so that we might become as brothers and sisters, not only in Christ, but also as blood-kin.

By her own hand,
Elizabeth, Queen of Dalmatia, et cetera."

Last edited:
Another letter, soon arrived in Heidelberg, from Naples.

"Charles III, King of Naples, Jerusalem, and Albania, Prince of Achaia and Durazzo, Duke of Anjou and Provence, Lord of Corfu, et cetera, to Ruprecht I, Count Palatine of the Rhine, Elector of the Holy Roman Empire, et cetera, greetings.

I trust that you have received a letter from the noble lady Elizabeth of Slavonia, who is soon to be our Queen. We the King have decided to write to you also, so that you can be assured of our royal desire to have they of the House of Wittelsbach present. We pray that you do not disregard the kinship that exists between you, and welcome her as a worthy member of the Wittelsbach house (albeit in the female line).

Not only due to the affinity between you, and our betrothed, but also in consideration of the pre-eminence and precedence of your house over all others in the Empire (save perhaps the Imperial lineage, although let us not forget they themselves do not originate from the Empire, but from France) we the King would very much like to further tie together our two houses. We have heard that your nephew, Ruprecht “Klem” has a daughter, Margarete, who is a mere younger than our beloved son, Jean. We believe that a marriage between these two would do much to strengthen the familial ties between Naples and your realm.

By his own hand,
Charles, King of Naples, et cetera.”

(OOC: marriage next Monday, Neapolitan court).

Avernite said:
Offcourse we'll be carefull. But who doesn't dare, doesn't win. I'd still be twiddling thumbs in Jülich and Gelre would still be the scene of a messy civil war if I hadn't dared anything. It's not so hard to get Imperial approval once you have established complete control of a region.
"Then it is settled, I will send my agents into Friesland and the Oversticht. The Bavarian garrisons will be marshalled and we will arrange for some reinforcements. The armies of Gelre and Julich will march with us to ahem, secure the lines of supply?"

While Count Ruprecht was writting a letter to be sent to Dalmatia, the Elector stood up and called his Secretary, he gave him a note, in it was written a Treaty of Friendship:

Code:
[color=red]
[center][Size=6]Wittelsbach Family Pact[/size][/center]

The Dukes of Bavaria, the Duke of Jülich, the Duke of Berg, the Duke of Geldre and the Count-Elector of Pfalz agree:
1. To Create an Alliance between all Wittelsbach, by male or female line, States.
1.1. If a member of this Pact attack other State the others can be called to help them in the way they find better, by economical help or military help.
1.2. If a member of this Pact is Attacked all the others shall go in their Help by military ways.
1.3. Every member of this Pact allows the Armies of the Others to move through their Territory.
2. The Wittelsbach States create Trade Agreements among themselves.
2.1. This Agreements will have preferencial commercial pacts between the members of the pact, and will be asked if they want the mercancy before any other State.
2.2. All Traders Subject to a Wittelsbach Ruler will have right of movemnt through Wittelsbach Land.
2.3. The Wittelbach Rulers will help economically the rest if needed.
3. The Signants of this Pact create a Political Alliance to protect the Wittelsbacher Interests.
3.1. By helping each other in the Diet.
3.2. By Meeting each 5 years for revision of the treaty.
3.3. By trying to receive Oversticht to make Point 2 Easier.[b]Secret Clause[/b]
Final Clause 1: This Pact lasts 5 years, But can be renewed at that time.
Final Clause 2: To allow new members, like Dalmatia, all members of the Pact shall confirm it.

Heidelberg Castle, 5th April 1384[/color]

Last edited:
For the first in some time Stefan coughed and said something.

"I wish to remind my fellow lords that I cannot decide for my brother who was unable to send a emmisary. Furthermore I cannot guarentee everyone from our fiefs free passage, I am a soevereign noble, I decide who enters my lands."

"On these subjects I must agree with milord. Furthermore, I don't think it will be wise to to have point 3.2 public..." The old count spoke energytically.

The Elector Answered

uhm...true, let's change it to be secret then...
On the Issue of Passage, it only goes for our Own Armies with notes from ourselves, so it's known they are what should, and in merchants will be only to make it easier.

Max von Bayreuth nodded when he heard that his changes were being implented but something was missing. Stefan wasn't satisfied at all.

"Sorry milord but I quote section 2.2: "This Agreement creates free movement and free trade of the subjects of the Wittelsbach Lands." That implies all subjects, that would technically even give our peasants the right to move!"

rup12gx.jpg

Uhm...Maybe we should redact it to be 'All Traders Subject to a Wittelsbach Ruler will have right of movemnt through Wittelsbach Land', is that ok for you cousin?

A letter arrives from Spoleto, where Elizabeth of Slavonia holds her court.

"Elizabeth, Queen of Poland, Transylvania, Slavonia, Croatia, and Dalmatia, Queen Dowager of Naples, Jerusalem, and Albania, Princess Dowager of Achaia, Durazzo, and Taranto, et cetera, to Ruprecht I, Elector Palatine, greetings.

I was most pleased to receive your letter. However, the girl Joanna is currently in Iberia, and now owes allegiance to Avignon: I do not know what will become of her; either way, the crown of Naples has since passed to her uncle John I. In her stead, I offer myself as a consort to you. I have decided to make good my claim on the crown of Poland, by right of my grandmother, Elzbieta Piast (sister of the last native King), and for this I need a consort. I am yet young and able to produce children; either way, the marriage of my son Stephen to your granddaughter, as you proposed, would ensure a continued presence of both our descendants on the throne of Poland.

As for Stephen Pietro, and the girl Margrethe, I am most pleased for this union to take place. I would be most pleased if you could tell me how old she is, for he is already fourteen, and of marriageable age.

By her own hand,
Elizabeth of Slavonia, Queen Dowager of Naples"

The three von Jülich Dukes discussed a bit amongst themselves, and then the Duke of Jülich spoke:

"This pact indeed looks acceptable, with the changes our Bavarian friends have spoken of.

Now, if we have agreed to this, we must return to our own Duchies to oversee the affairs and make sure all is well. We will speak again when such is needed."