• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
rup12gx.jpg

No more family than you three and the Jülich were called into here, so if we are all, when all are prepared we shall start the meeting, it will be in the Throne Room, that's is finishing it's decoration for the meeting, I hope all will be glad of what here is to be debated, suggest things and are able to reforce familiar links.

Well, we shall wait till the Dukes of Gelre and Julich come back from their rooms, and that Ruprecht and the Duke of Berg do so as well

A pair of minutes after that, the Count-Palatine and his Son in Law reached where the Count-Elector, Duke Stefan and the Count of Bayreuth were waiting.

Wilhelm and WIlhelm, father and son, had rested in their chambers. They had, however, heard some noises and presumed it were the Bavarian Dukes the Wittelsbacher had spoken of.

Luckily, as they left their chamber they quickly found a servant.

"Young man," Wilhelm the elder spoke, "could you please lead us to your lord? We have cause to believe he wants to speak with us."

rup12gx.jpg

Now that we are all together follow me

The Old man walked slowly but correctly, he guided them to the Court Room, when he ordered his servants to open the door an inmense room was visible to the eyes of his guest, it was a room of certain highness and with many candels to light it perfectly, over the walls there were the pennants of the Bavarian Dukedoms, the Duchies of Jülich, Berg, Geldre and that of the Electorate, there were various high quality wooden chairs surrounding a Golden Throne with the arms of the Elector, the guest were impresionated, they took their place and the Elector asked their servants to come with all Wine, that he had taken from Lorraine for the ocassion, and the Food they could eat.

My Dear Cousins, Nephews and Rest of Family, I've called you here to discusse a familiar treaty that would be composed of three parts, Military Issues, Economical Issues and Political Issues, we live in a World in which relations are the main part of our States, if we that are family are disunited, then other States will grow more powerfull than the Wittelsbach States and that is by no way good for any of us, I have the idea to split the meeting in three sessions, one for each part and that in the end of the sessions we would have an only Family Pact to sign.

Wilhelm, Duke of Jülich, had something to say about that:

"And pray tell, why should I care if Jülich, which is no Wittelsbach state, would gain power even if the Wittelsbachs lose power? Not that I do not understand your intent, but we must be carefull in the wording."

rup12gx.jpg

My first proposal is to create a double faced alliance that is offensive as well as defensive, let me explain, my proposal is that while we'll be all allied only in the defensive alliance shall all our States Join the war to defend the other, but in offensive war each one can decide if he wants to join military the war or help economically the States in war, and always they are not actually in other war indepently from the other members of the alliance. Also would propose that every member of the alliance should have right of passage through every Wittelsbavh or Julich Land, making movements easier.

"Ahem, before we begin I would like to ask the lords from Gelre if they have any news from the holdings of my liege espacially concerning the flood. Rumours have reached us that there has been severe flooding, is that true?" It was offcourse the Count who spoke while Stefan only looked irritated that one of his opponents was making him wait even longer.

rup2ha4yw.jpg

Interesting question you make Wilhelm of Julich, as you would have noticed while coming here is that we consider your family really tied to us and as so your states like if they were Wittelsbach States, so far your son is married to one of us so his childs will be at all effects Wittelbachs, like the sons of the Duke of Berg are, and as so we are also interested in seeing their interests fullfilled as far as if they were Wittelsbach of Male line, so we excuse if you misunderstood your family was not included by the use of Wittelsbach Lands term.

"I am sorry, but the term Wittelsbach land to depict the land of me or my family still seems somewhat... awkward. Your offer of alliance seems allright, especially as it seems other alliances are popping up left and right, we can't allow ourselves to stand alone. As to the Bavarian lands, son?"

With that, the old Wilhelm held his words, and instead looked to his son, the Duke of Gelre.

"Yes. We, in Gelre, have had some problems with flooding too, allbeit on a fairly small scale that, while annoying, is not a huge problem thanks to some efforts made when the first signs of flood appeared.

However, we have heard reports that Holland and especially Zeeland have been hit much harder, as despite the best efforts of the local government to support them the dikes couldn't hold back the water. How bad it is we are not entirely sure, but it is pretty bad. We can only pray that the efforts we made this year will ensure we are safe from such a thing happening in Gelre.

"Hmmmm okay, thank you. If milords could excuse me for a second." The Count left te room for just a few moments and then returned.

"Sorry milords, now about that alliance....it sounds excellent, however first we need to solve some issues. For example the fragmentation of the Bavarian Lands and the Claims of the Julich family on the lands of my Liege."

Stefan got a bit of a angry look on his face but kept quiet though everyone could see he had trouble with it.

rup12gx.jpg

Well in Bavarian issue I think we have an easy solution proved in my pact with Uncle Ludwig, mantain the division and the relations, and the last surviving branch gets it all and if still many branches the oldest branch inherits the extinct branch, don't you think that's a good idea to solve Bavarian problem?? About Julich Claims I think you shall discusse it while I moderete the discussion.

"I was actually more speaking of the fact that there are three nations in one. That doesn't work.."

"Do you want to dispute my claims!?" Stefan shouted

"No I do not sir, however maybe a deal can be made. Milord, you can't deny that if this fragmentation continues the power of the Bavarian Wittelsbachs will wither away? It will set on and soon we will have 20 Dukes who all dispute their lands and fight amongst others. Maybe His Lordship the Count Palatinate could mediate a discussion about that as well?"

"I will not, I repeat NOT, give away any of my lands." Stefan said on a angry tone.

"In the plans I have that will not be neccesary milord." The old count had thought of everything, or had he....

rup12gx.jpg

Quiet my friends, this attitude by you two are what the Family Common Enemies expect, that we fight ourselves making us weaker, as I proposed maybe the pact I reached with Old Ludwig can be used for your lands, on the dividing issue, maybe you shall pact the lands can't be divided in a way that someone gets less land that a minimum you pact, so if one has the double of the others he can divide it in 2 of same size but not in more, and after that wait and when one of the branches died out outlaw the division of the lands and wait until one survives the other one.

Wilhelm of Jülich now took over again:

"My Bavarian friends, it is all very simple. We have long since recognised that we cannot seize Holland and Zeeland from Albrecht. However, if his line and that of his brother die out, we believe it would be an excellent time to press those claims again, and we'd hate to need a war for that.

Therefore, we propose that we recognize the line of Albrecht of Wittelsbach as rightfull rulers of Holland, Zeeland and Hainault, and in return Albrecht of Wittelsbach and his family recognise that the descendants of Johanna von Avesnes-Holland, being mine and my brothers' descendants, have the first claim after that."

"Milord" the Count of Bayreuth spoke "you speak wise words, however, a problem is that one of the strongest nations in the Empire, Bavaria, is split between three factions. Instead of through one voice we speak through three. If I speak for my lord I do not speak for Bavaria but for the lands of my Liege, Bavaria-Straubing. Now if my Liege's brothers would swear fealthy...."

"Never!" Stefans face turned red "I will not give up my lands nor my soevereignity and you will not force my brother Friederich into it!"

"Milord please, the only think I ask for is to let Bavaria speak through one voice. You would keep your lands, my Liege is inclined to grant you and Friederich even more land to compensate you." Turning to Ruprecht "Milord, don't you think that is a fair deal?"

Then speaking to the Wilhelm of Julich.

"Aha, I think my Liege would be inclined to your proposal, however doesn't your Family wish for some...compensation? Maybe the Wittelsbach Family could together.....make some progress in the Lowlands, don't you think?"

Ahh, Wilhelm was once again confirmed in his suspicion. This count could simply decide what happened and his brother would follow.

"Offcourse, we would like some compensation. However, we see no easy way to do it, at the moment. We would be glad to accept any of the disputed counties, ofcourse, but I do not suspect you will do that.

For the rest, there's only the Bishop of Utrecht and the Duke of Brabant, and we have no good cause for war with them. But I am, offcourse, open to any suggestions that could increase our power."

rup2ha4yw.jpg

And wouldn't be better if the three Bavarian Dukes made a recpnciliation treaty and promise to meet a pair of times each year to discusse the issues of the Duchy and have universal goal for all Bavaria?. And about the Dutch Lands they are not subjected to the German Inheritance Laws nor the Wittelsbach Familiy Pact, so if you resolve the problems as you suggest we won't have any problem

Avernite said:
Ahh, Wilhelm was once again confirmed in his suspicion. This count could simply decide what happened and his brother would follow.

"Offcourse, we would like some compensation. However, we see no easy way to do it, at the moment. We would be glad to accept any of the disputed counties, ofcourse, but I do not suspect you will do that.

For the rest, there's only the Bishop of Utrecht and the Duke of Brabant, and we have no good cause for war with them. But I am, offcourse, open to any suggestions that could increase our power."
The Count of Bayreuth smiled sinnisterly to Wilhelm.

"Well you see milord, the Schsizm in the Church leads to interesting situations. The Bishop of Utrecht is old, what happens if he dies? Throughout history the election of a new Bishop of Utrecht has been cause if chaos in the Sticht as rivalling factions put forward their candidates. Now allready there is trouble in Friesland, soon we will take a northern punitive expedition however if the Oversticht is in chaos Friesland will not be very restfull. I imagine the Dukes of Julich-Berg-Gelre aren't very happy with the prospect of chaos on it's borders. Together we could bring.....peace and order in the Sticht and maybe together we can convince the Papacies to choose a candidate chosen by us, someone wise and with experience and someone who wants.....friendly relations with our nations. What do you think of that milord?"

Wilhelm of Jülich wanted to speak, but his son beat him to it.

Perhaps, indeed it would be a good time to end the endless struggles between the counts of Holland, the bisshops of Utrecht and the dukes of Gelre. If the Bisshop dies, we could indeed attempt to install an amenable candidate, perhaps even one who would part with the parts of his bisshopric over the Ijssel river. That could indeed be usefull for Gelre, and you can then decide who to install in Utrecht.