CK3 keeps crashing on initial loading screen (crash log included)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Predictor92

Recruit
Sep 1, 2020
CK3 for me keeps crashing on the first loading screen. I do have avast which for some people is a problem but Avast said CK3 was trusted so it is not the problem. I am using the gamepass version. Here is the crash error log
[13:03:23][pdx_ugc.cpp:42]: No UGC backend available for current platform.
[13:03:26][virtualfilesystem_physfs.cpp:1539]: Could not open file: pdx_settings.txt, error: pdx_settings.txt permission denied

• 4Like
Reactions:
CK3 for me keeps crashing on the first loading screen. I do have avast which for some people is a problem but Avast said CK3 was trusted so it is not the problem. I am using the gamepass version. Here is the crash error log
[13:03:23][pdx_ugc.cpp:42]: No UGC backend available for current platform.
[13:03:26][virtualfilesystem_physfs.cpp:1539]: Could not open file: pdx_settings.txt, error: pdx_settings.txt permission denied
I have the same issue with gamepass, game crushes on loading screen.

Great, thanks for the idea. Worked for me as well, but I had to also turn off the windows defender, I also changed reso and selected windowed instead of fullscreen, don't know if that had any impact. Anyways, the important thing is that it works know. Many thanks

My game keeps crashing a few months after game start, even after turning off all firewall functions. It's starting to piss me off since I payed for the Royal Edition and I can't seem, for the life of me, find a solution to play the game. Updated all drivers and Windows itself, restarted, nothing helps.

Reactions:
Using gamepass version. The game crashes while trying to load the main menu, it never gets past the first few seconds of music.
I tried updating the files, checked the integrity, redownloaded, moved permissions around, checked and turned off antivirus and firewall, turned off discord overlay...
I have reinstalled the game on different drives, too. Nothing works...

My computer can run modded Stellaris no problem, or Doom (2016) so it's not a hardware issue.

Reactions:
My game keeps crashing a few months after game start, even after turning off all firewall functions. It's starting to piss me off since I payed for the Royal Edition and I can't seem, for the life of me, find a solution to play the game. Updated all drivers and Windows itself, restarted, nothing helps.
Same here mate getting a bit annoying you've have all these youtubers play the game but for those of us who bought it no chance

Game pass here, same damn issue. If I reinstall I can play for 5 minutes, then it crashes and if I try to restart the game, it crashes again. What the fuck is going on?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Same, I've tried multiple times to load the game in all ended up in failure. Don't have a clue of what to do....

Same issue here, bought the game yesterday but can't play it. Just a CTD after the 'Initialising game' phase every time. I've reinstalled, re-validated the instal, updated my drivers, tried launching the exe direct, disabling antivirus, and various other suggestions here and on Steam, but nothing works. Win 10 here, system runs CK2, HOI4, EU4 no problems. Some word from Paradox on this would be very welcome!

• 2Like
Reactions:
I've just got this fixed but I have a feeling its different for everyone. How I did it was disable Avast Core Shields AND the Ransomware shield. To do this I went into the avast settings. To get it to fix itself I created a desktop app which then sent me to the store and gave me the option to fix the installation. Which then worked!

Further, I use bitdefender antivirus, but it makes no difference whether I disable it or not. Windows defender is already disabled.

Could the issue possibly be my monitor? I use an external BENQ monitor (properly installed), but in the CK3 game launcher the only monitor option I see is Generic PnP Monitor.

I really don't know what else to try at this point.