CK3 keeps crashing on initial loading screen (crash log included)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Further, I use bitdefender antivirus, but it makes no difference whether I disable it or not. Windows defender is already disabled.

Could the issue possibly be my monitor? I use an external BENQ monitor (properly installed), but in the CK3 game launcher the only monitor option I see is Generic PnP Monitor.

I really don't know what else to try at this point.
No I have the same antivirus but a laptop so the monitor is not the issue it might be the graphics card we are using im using a 1050 so unless your using turing it could be that for some reason

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks, I'm on a laptop too, and it makes no difference if I plug the monitor in or not. I've got plenty of crash reports. Not sure where they go, but I'll attach one here.

No I have the same antivirus but a laptop so the monitor is not the issue it might be the graphics card we are using im using a 1050 so unless your using turing it could be that for some reason

Hmm i'm on a laptop aswell, maybe it's something with the graphics card or proccessor? I'm not sure because i've ran pretty demanding games before.

Processor/GPU 0 = AMD A4-6210 APU with AMD Radeon R3 Graphics
Installed RAM= 4.00 GB (3.45GB usable)
System Type = 64 bit operating system, x64- based processor

Last edited:
Had the same problem. Was able to play last night, but today crash on launch.
Disabling Avast fixed it. Not a good solution long term.
Maybe the issue will fix itself after Avast gets to know the game?

• 1Like
Reactions:
So I have been having this issue too because of an incompatibility with Avast and been wracking my brain for a solution. I seem to have fixed it for myself but it requires a second monitor.

Here is how I fixed it for me:

Open the launcher

Go to settings

Switch from your main monitor to your second one

When it boots an Avast notification pops up on your main monitor saying some shit about the app wanting to make changes to a protected document (the games program files). Allow it to make an exception. The game will have crashed again on the other screen but when you then try again it works.

Profit

Further, I use bitdefender antivirus, but it makes no difference whether I disable it or not. Windows defender is already disabled.
With BitDefender you need to allow the game and launcher through its separate Safe Files feature.

Hmm i'm on a laptop aswell, maybe it's something with the graphics card or proccessor? I'm not sure because i've ran pretty demanding games before.

Processor/GPU 0 = AMD A4-6210 APU with AMD Radeon R3 Graphics
Installed RAM= 4.00 GB (3.45GB usable)
This does not meet the game's minimum hardware requirements I'm afraid:

• Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-2120 / AMD® FX 6350
  • Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 460 (1GB) / AMD® Radeon™ HD 7870 (2GB) / Intel® Iris Pro™ 580 / Intel® Iris® Plus G7 / AMD® Radeon™ Vega 11

• 1Like
Reactions:
Had the same problem. Was able to play last night, but today crash on launch.
Disabling Avast fixed it. Not a good solution long term.
Maybe the issue will fix itself after Avast gets to know the game?
You should report it to Avast, it's their job not to impact valid games!

I already did this for CK3.exe, but it makes no difference. There's one executable in the launcher folder, which I let through, but that didn't help either.
Are you able to provide a list of the other files that need to be let through?
Cheers

With BitDefender you need to allow the game and launcher through its separate Safe Files feature.

I finally got it to work. I got Bitdefender to whitelist both these folders:

C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings III

Also, I went direct to AMD's website and got their latest video drivers. Updating through windows doesn't get you the latest I think. I'm not sure if that had a direct bearing on my issue, but it can't hurt to do it.

Hope some of that is of help to others. The game runs well now for me, and looks good.

Same issue here. I could have enter the game. But now it crashes every single time after I launch the game in launcher.

Edit: I'm using Xbox Game Pass and not using any antivirus or bitlocker.

I can't even open the damn launcher, it crashes when I try to open the app with a file system error...

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    88 KB · Views: 0
Im using gamepass dont have avast im using avira but already disabled it and doesnt had any results... I already played the game yesterday, but it seems like it is variable sometimes it refuses to open (crashs on launch), and when it opens it is very laggy even with lowest graphics (and i have the requisits)... Waiting for a fix...

Lol when i click on "Resume" to resume my game, it doesnt crashes, but when i click on play normally it crashes as usual... what a shame paradox...

Edit: Oh... it seems like besides it is lagged, it crashes easly when i open the esc menu or try to save the game...

Last edited:
I can't even open the damn launcher, it crashes when I try to open the app with a file system error...
Please try this:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.

Note that you can run ck3.exe directly from Windows Explorer, which bypasses the launcher.

Intel cards arent supported by the gaem

Erm, that's not true considering it literally says Intel Iris Pro graphics card is acceptable for minimum requirements