• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unfortunately MS do not provide a way of us distributing old or alternate game versions, so I'm afraid it is possible this will happen again with future major updates.

HOWEVER I've just had some indication that 1.6.1.2/1.7 were supposed to be save game compatible! And were tested as such, but perhaps some configurations (eg combinations of DLCs, say) may be the problem here. Whether that can be fixed for all game installations is not yet clear.

So put your 1.6.x saves aside and try them when you see new official patches come out.

Sorry for that problem!
FWIW I'm getting the same crash error coming from 1.6.1.2 and I have no mods or DLC.

Unfortunately MS do not provide a way of us distributing old or alternate game versions, so I'm afraid it is possible this will happen again with future major updates.

HOWEVER I've just had some indication that 1.6.1.2/1.7 were supposed to be save game compatible! And were tested as such, but perhaps some configurations (eg combinations of DLCs, say) may be the problem here. Whether that can be fixed for all game installations is not yet clear.

So put your 1.6.x saves aside and try them when you see new official patches come out.

Sorry for that problem!
Thanks for the update, but I guess these means stop playing CK3 until they fix it...which they may never do. I'll try reverting perhaps.

Sorry for that problem!
Any clues on which DLC could make it work? I'm only using the Gamepass version, but would happily buy the DLC that may be needed to get it to work.

Separately, I did start a new campaign on 1.7 and played for hours. A lot of fun, ironman, so I closed and went to bed.

The next day, I tried to start playing and it just crashes to the desktop when I try to load the game. Started in 1.7, continuing in 1.7. Ugh!

1662838198764.png

Any ideas?

My saved game was also on xbox game pass... I start to have the feeling it's a game pass related issue....
Not so far as I know, no.
FWIW I'm getting the same crash error coming from 1.6.1.2 and I have no mods or DLC.
Then you have an unrelated problem, please make a new thread on that.
Had the mods and it broke my save file. Playing on Xbox game pass
Mods always need to be updated when a major patch arrives.
Thanks for the update, but I guess these means stop playing CK3 until they fix it...which they may never do. I'll try reverting perhaps.
You should be able to start a new campaign under 1.7 just fine. This ONLY affects older saves running under .17
Any clues on which DLC could make it work?
None whatsoever, sorry. That was only speculation on my part.

New to this forum.
same here. anyone has a solution? Ive wasted about 3 hrs on finding clues. what happened?
You are getting a crash loading a 1.6.x save under 1.7.x , is that right?

If so, and there are no mods involved, all you can really do is revert to the 1.6.x patches in the Steam Betas tab for the game.