• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think I've tracked down the error some people are having, if they could re-download and try again. I also fixed a couple of other crashes that popped up so I'd re-download even if yours seems to be working.

I've added it to a zip if your having trouble downloading the exe file here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1867105/CK2%20Family%20Tree%20Maker.zip.
I have checked with various online virus scanners and it all comes back safe so I'm sure it is virus free. If anyone else has any virus/malware reports about it feel free to post them.

I am still getting the same error. I wonder what might be causing it, and I think it is on my side since the program seems to work fine for plenty of others.

The only thing I can think of that could be causing the error messages people are still getting is a save file that has lines not expected by the parser and causes a "Input string was not in a correct format" error. Anyone who is still getting this error I'd encourage to PM me so I can get them to email me their save game and hopefully fix it for them and anyone else with this error.

Thanks.

Couple of questions:

1) What's the program to use to quickly open these 30+ MB savegame text files?
2) I know how to tell who my current character is from the file, but what do I search for if I want to start the family tree from that character's grandfather, for example?

Couple of questions:

1) What's the program to use to quickly open these 30+ MB savegame text files?
2) I know how to tell who my current character is from the file, but what do I search for if I want to start the family tree from that character's grandfather, for example?

Notepad++
Look up him, then it will say his father and mother, look whichever of them up, to quickly do it search for their number then =, like 4060=, then do the same for whichever of their parents you want.

Is your software converting anything into decimals, reading decimals from the file, setting a decimal into a variable or something similar. In some languages decimals are separated with , (commas) and in some with . (dots).

Just a general idea, didn't check the error any further except for that it was an input error :p

In case anyone is interested in such things, I'm going to keep an ongoing dynasty tree for the long term (hopefully) game I am currently playing. The file has 2 pages, one showing the complete tree from my starting character, and the other showing just the characters I've played and their succession. So far I'm only starting my 3rd generation and character so the tree's still fairly small. Suggestions for presentation are welcome. You can download my file here.

thanks for this. Just thought I'd post my family tree 50 years in, starting with my starting character. Right now I'm Eberhart von Weimar, the son of Kunigunde. I'm Duke of Bavaria and Messien, and my son is set to inherit those plus the Duchies of Gelre, Brunswick, and Saxony. I had to spend 30 minutes reorganizing the tree, it was a little jumbled. The names might be a little too small to read in the picture. View attachment 47928
That would be very interesting if I could read it.

It only shows the character who I selected and their parents when I upload it into a program. Seems that it isn't correctly following the lines past them. Also it hadn't been finding siblings... I think this is a great idea and wish you the best of luck!

Most likely, doesn't seem to have been updated since April or earlier, and doubtless recent patches have changed stuff in the save files.

Anyone interested in trying to create a new one of these? My programming skills are primitive, at best, but I'd gladly help troubleshoot and debug as I continue learning.