• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ritualsauce

Recruit
90 Badges
Jun 19, 2013
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
Short summary of your issue "Launching the game failed."

Game Version 1.0.2

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Windows Store

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
No

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
Loaded into the game two times. Got to play about 5 total days of in-game time then crashed to desktop. Upon attempting to relaunch game am receiving "Launching the game failed." error next to PLAY button.

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
Not sure. Presumably do the same thing I said above.

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    6,4 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I am having the same problem as these gentlemen above me, and frankly it is a bit infuriating. I updated my graphics drivers, reinstalled and verified the game 4 times, restarted the computer more times than I can count, spent a good part of the last 2 hours updating windows 10 (only for windows to tell me that the update has failed). I tried all settings in the launcher, windowed, fullscreen, no DLC, etc. Deleted all antivirus software from my PC. Did a scrub through CC cleaner. Tried to run the game directly from its steamapps folder. And nothing, the damn thing does not even launch

• 3Like
Reactions:
I've done everything I can as well but what confuses me is that the game was working fine in the morning when i downloaded it. Now, for some reason, it just doesnt launch. I really dont understand what changed.

I used to have this same problem with eu4, and got it again when launching ck3 for the first time. the same solution worked here for me too, bypassing the launcher and launching the game thru admin opening the game thru steamapps

I used to have this same problem with eu4, and got it again when launching ck3 for the first time. the same solution worked here for me too, bypassing the launcher and launching the game thru admin opening the game thru steamapps
This also worked for me after validating files, reinstalls, restarts, resolution changes, creating the "crashes" folder, and a lot of firewall exceptions. Sad that the launcher won't work for me, but glad the game launches finally. After successfully launching the game again I also quit and loaded up steam and attempted to launch it via that, and the launcher comes up but again wouldn't open the game. Closing steam and using a shortcut to the game executable inside the steamapps folder worked again, so it's some sort of disconnect between either the launcher and the game, or steam and the launcher.

Unfortunately mine is not on steam but on windows store and i cannot run the launcher from the windowsapp folder :(

Update from my side. OpenSUSE 15.2 did not have GLIBC 2.27 that was needed for CK3. Only 2.26 was installed by default.
Figured that one out when tried to launch CK3 executable from terminal.
Updated to 2.27 and CK3 started just fine. Looks to be running just fine now.

I'm glad you figured it out.
We only officially support Ubuntu 18.04, but chances are the game will run fine on other distributions - if you manage to find potential missing dependencies, like you did.

I'm glad you figured it out.
We only officially support Ubuntu 18.04, but chances are the game will run fine on other distributions - if you manage to find potential missing dependencies, like you did.

I am on Ubuntu 18.04. I reinstalled the game today, and I confirm that the game starts only once after installation.
I already posted my lshw output, and I have no antivirus. Anything else I could try?

Are the missing directories supposed to be somewhere under ~/.steam?

I am on Ubuntu 18.04. I reinstalled the game today, and I confirm that the game starts only once after installation.
I already posted my lshw output, and I have no antivirus. Anything else I could try?

Are the missing directories supposed to be somewhere under ~/.steam?

Do you have crash reports in "$LINUX_DATA_HOME/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings III/crashes"?
If yes, could you share the latest one?

If not:
If you clear out the log files in "$LINUX_DATA_HOME/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings III/logs", and attempt to restart the game, do you get any log files then?
If yes, can you share them?

If all of these fail, we can try to see if you can launch the game from the command line to get some error output.

Hmmm I'll add my 2 cents, for some reason the game indicates the following in my crashlog:

[10:12:07][pdx_ugc.cpp:42]: No UGC backend available for current platform.
[10:12:12][virtualfilesystem_physfs.cpp:1539]: Could not open file: pdx_settings.txt, error: pdx_settings.txt permission denied

I have the paradox store version. Launched fine yesterday :) disabling antivirus works though weirdly. no idea why antivirus is giving me issues now and has not yesterday.

Attachments

• error.log
    205 bytes · Views: 0
  • game.log
    58 bytes · Views: 0
  • debug.log
    29,3 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    635 bytes · Views: 0
@lykchen Will try to do this when i get home from work today. Could you please confirm if the CK3 folder should contain anything specific? More in regards to folder names and such.

We are seeing some crashes related to failing to access the settings file, which is ".../Crusader Kings III/pdx_settings.txt".
That doesn't mean that everyone with startup troubles is affected by this very issue. (Actually looking at the responses in this thread it looks like few here have that issue.)

I think its a issue where antivirus programs are somehow blocking access to the settings .txt for some reason. Really odd. I will try adding a exception. Ok solved it, running in windowed triggered my antivirus popup and allowed me to allow the launcher to access the settings text. @Paradox, can you look into what is causing the pdx_settings.txt to be flagged as a false positive? Mind
you I have the paradox store version not sure if it is the same issue for all of you guys.

Last edited:
As stated in my own bug report (which apparently I am not allowed to link to, sorry) I got the same problem: the game won't launch.

All drivers are updated, game is verified via steam.
Tried switching off antivirus, launching it in windows mode, etc., nothing worked.
I attach the crashes folder and the dxdiag.txt file as requested. Please help.

Attachments

• crashes.zip
    44,1 MB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    75,5 KB · Views: 0