• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cakes1517

Private
71 Badges
Feb 19, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Pillars of Eternity
Short summary of your issue Ironman Game Progress Not Saving

Game Version 1.0.2

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Windows Store

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
At a certain point, I saved and quit to desktop (A). I resumed playing some time later, and when I had finished, did the same (B). When returning once more, I found that all the progress since (A) had not been saved. I then proceeded to play again, and saved and quit to the main menu (C), but found that all the progress in that time had also been lost, and was reverted back to (A).

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
Unknown

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?
My auto save option is a grey shield with a question mark with the 1066 start date (my game hasn't even reached 1066 yet).

• 10Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Hello cakes1994!

Could you try a fix for me, please? Make a local save (non-cloud) and see if the cloud saves appear for you. In case they don't, please follow up in the thread and we will troubleshoot further!

I am having this exact same issue. The game acts as though it's saving when I exit, but the next time I load the ironman save, it has rolled back to an earlier state. Windows store. My guess is it's some kind of issue with permissions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do you mean that saving while exiting Ironman on Store does not work as intended (doesn't make a save, instead utilizes last autosave)?

Does saving the Ironman game locally circumvent the issue?

Is it even possible to save locally when playing ironman? The menu screen has no save options, simply stating that ironman games will save automatically.
I have seen all the progress from today wiped away and when I play for a little bit then quit, the game no longer appears to be updating the save properly.

I loaded up a game and it was September 2nd, 1192 AD. I played quickly through an existing war to become Duke of Moray and then quit the game to the main menu on the 24th February 1193, the saving box appears. I load the game up now and it's December 2nd 1192 and the siege where I win the war and become Duke of Moray is just about to complete, I do it again and let the game run until April 1193, I quit and save but loading back up and it's back to December 2nd. I tried quitting to desktop and saving that way but same result, it's 2nd December and no progress is being saved.

I have the game with game pass on the microsoft store.

It should be possible to save locally to my knowledge:
1599143539084.png

I am currently investigating the issue with Ironman and cloud saving. Please, if you could confirm that local saves work correctly, I would be much obliged. Until a solution is found it's best to refrain from playing on Ironman in order not to lose progress.

View attachment 617209

I am currently investigating the issue with Ironman and cloud saving. Please, if you could confirm that local saves work correctly, I would be much obliged. Until a solution is found it's best to refrain from playing on Ironman in order not to lose progress.

That will only be an option when starting a new ironman save, the option is no longer available once the game is underway - the game that I had an issue with was saving to the cloud. I'll be selecting local for all future games, wasn't even aware that I was saving to cloud initially.

1599143926594.png

View attachment 617209

Thanks for your attention to this matter, jakeowaty. I am playing via Windows Store through purchase, rather than Game Pass.

I am able to select local for new saves, but doing so for existing ones invalidates Ironman/achievements.

I will play Ironman locally until there is a fix and in the meantime I will let you know if I encounter the same issue as I did on the cloud.

I am very sorry you have lost any progress gained in Ironman thus far! Please, let me know as soon as possible that you can confirm it's only an issue with cloud saves and that you can enjoy Ironman and achievement hunting while saving locally!

Okay. Can you confirm that if you start a new Ironman save and select it to save locally the game progress is retained?

New save games seem to be saving locally and to the cloud without issue for me via the game pass version. Tested a few new games and they both save regularly just fine, the only difference between these games and the faulty one is - the game version. As this was working perfectly fine up until this afternoon I can only assume that today's update has caused an issue somewhere. My 1.0.2 game save broke whilst the game version was still 1.0.2 but 1.0.3 had been released and the game store wanted to update.

Yeah, this is still a problem in 1.03 on Game Pass. I do get autosave messages and save on exit messages, but the cloud save file just never actually updates, and anytime I load it, it's always back to the exact same rollback point. I really hope this can be fixed; I don't want to lose a 40 hour save file.

View attachment 617209

I don't see any option to manually save in Ironman mode once a game has been started, and so it seems to be impossible to switch a cloud save to a local save.

But I can confirm that after starting a new Ironman game with cloud saving disabled, autosaving appears to work normally.

Sorry for the triple post... but... my cloud save is working again! After testing with a new Ironman game on a local save for the above post, I went back into my original Ironman game on the cloud save, progressed a day, exited, and reloaded, and it actually worked! I'm not sure why or how, but it seems that something about whatever I did with starting a new game got the cloud save working again.

Edit: Nevermind. It's broken again. I don't know what the heck is going on... but here are some observations. I can load my cloud save, progress one day, exit immediately, reload, and the progress will be saved. But if I play the game long enough for an autosave to happen, and then exit, it will roll back to the "progressed one day" state. Which means in the current situation, as soon as an autosave happens, saving breaks. We really need a way to convert a cloud save to a local save.

Last edited:
I can credit to this being an issue as well. I have the game installed through the gamepass, and it has not been recording/saving when I exit the game. It has happened a couple of times.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Does anyone know where the Game Pass version of the game stores the local copy of the Cloud save? I know the path for the Steam version is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\####\1158310\remote\save games

but I can't find the equivalent path for the Game Pass version. I can only find the local saves.