• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cakes1517

Private
71 Badges
Feb 19, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Pillars of Eternity
Short summary of your issue Ironman Game Progress Not Saving

Game Version 1.0.2

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Windows Store

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
At a certain point, I saved and quit to desktop (A). I resumed playing some time later, and when I had finished, did the same (B). When returning once more, I found that all the progress since (A) had not been saved. I then proceeded to play again, and saved and quit to the main menu (C), but found that all the progress in that time had also been lost, and was reverted back to (A).

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
Unknown

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?
My auto save option is a grey shield with a question mark with the 1066 start date (my game hasn't even reached 1066 yet).

• 10Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
That's not an option for me. I'd rather just play something else or wait for a proper fix than starting over again. Savegame bugs are completely unacceptable. So people want to tell me that nobody tested cloud saves before release? Ridiculous. Working savegames are absolutely essential to have fun with any game. Until yesterday I would have given CK3 a 9/10 score, today I'd give it a 1/10 score with this shit going on.

Yeah, we're all hoping for a proper fix. At this point I'm getting used to games being broken at launch... it's sad, but that's just how things have come to be lately. And Game Pass almost always seems to add another layer of trouble. I wish Steam could manage Game Pass installations instead of Microsoft Store.

Definitely check the steps here. It's very possible that your last_save.ck3 file has your progress preserved.

Thanks for that, it helped me to recover my last 3 hours in my current game which were incredible lucky in my favor.

I have the problem with the Steam version of the game. It works as long as cloud saves is enabled or the game is local without ironman enabled. When I turn cloud saves off and start a local ironman game the game will not save under any circumstances at all. It does not create an autosave and also does not save when I exit the game (doesn't matter if to menu or desktop). So it is not the cloud save which is rolling back but the local save for me. The game was started in 1.03.

Hey there, here to report I'm facing the same issues.

The first playthrough was saved ok, was able to load back the next day, made some significant progress and when I exited the game, it displayed the popup that it was saving but when I logged back in on the third day I've lost hours of progress. This point where the game brings me back is year 1196

So today I decided do it all over again, but setting the autosaves to "every month" on the settings menu. did some nice progress and had to quit, again the save box was displayed. Came back tonight and it was back at the same point, year 1196.

Same setup as the others on the thread:
Windows, playing on the Xbox store
Game version 1.0.3

edit:
Definitely check the steps here. It's very possible that your last_save.ck3 file has your progress preserved.

oh, wish I had seen that before loading the file, ugh!

well, at least it converted from a cloud save to a local save and now I feel safe to progress again.

Thanks!

Last edited:
More detailed information based on Davidinho's and Morton04's research:

If you have a Cloud save file that is constantly rolling back, here are some steps you can follow for a temporary workaround that changes the file to Local save:
  1. Locate last_save.ck3 in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III
  2. Copy last_save.ck3 into a backup folder somewhere, such as on your desktop.
  3. Copy last_save.ck3 from your backup folder into C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\save games
  4. Play using Load and choose last_save (Do not use Resume)
  5. Exit the game, and repeat steps 1 through 3.
  6. Back to step 4 when you're ready to play again.
Additional Information:
  • If you want, you can rename last_save.ck3 to Something_More_Appropriate.ck3, but if you do, you'll have to rename the new last_save.ck3 every time you exit.
  • Keep in mind that if you forget to follow the steps above and resume, you will roll back again, and an autosave will overwrite your progress. If this happens, use the backup created in step 2 so recover your file, though you will still lose your most recent progress.
A couple of notes for the devs: (cc: jakeowaty)
  • My autosave files (autosave.ck3, autosave_1.ck3, autosave_2.ck3 and autosave_exit.ck3) have not updated since I played the tutorial on 9/1. I am assuming Ironman mode disables these, so this may be working as intended.
  • The new game I started with Ironman on and Cloud saving off is correctly updating its save file on exit.
  • My original game I started with Ironman and Cloud saving on will not update its save file under any circumstance. This includes both the original file (still Cloud enabled) AND the new file created from last_save.ck3 (which is no longer a Cloud file). Neither file creates autosaves.
  • Unfortunately, this workaround does gives players a means of circumventing the rules of Ironman, since players can create and rename as many copies of last_save.ck3 as they want, and Ironman will remain enabled.

Thank you, I had the same issue with an Ironman autosave (Game pass with cloud save enabled). I only had a bad save (with hours of lost gameplay) but fortunately I have Windows File History turned on and was able to restore a copy from that to my \save games folder and load manually as described.

Same issue here. No matter what I do my save file reverts to March 3rd, 1030, which makes it completely pointless to progress. In 2 hours I think I managed 1 hour of progress?

I would try the workaround, but the last time I tried to mess around with Xbox Game Pass due to corrupted Gears 5, I fried my whole Windows installation. So be careful with that.

This is beyond frustrating.

edit: game pass, cloud save, ironman.

Thanks so much for the workaround. Really irritating bug, but this has worked for me in a quick test just now, so hopefully it'll keep working!

It's very strange, because the game seems to sometimes say that it's saving, only for me to then come back later to find my progress rolled back. Thankfully I haven't lost a HUGE amount of progress (maybe 45 mins of gametime), but even that is super annoying. Hope the devs can create a proper fix very soon.

EDIT: For the avoidance of doubt, playing on Windows, Game Pass, cloud save, Ironman

More detailed information based on Davidinho's and Morton04's research:

If you have a Cloud save file that is constantly rolling back, here are some steps you can follow for a temporary workaround that changes the file to Local save:
  1. Locate last_save.ck3 in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III
  2. Copy last_save.ck3 into a backup folder somewhere, such as on your desktop.
  3. Copy last_save.ck3 from your backup folder into C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\save games
  4. Play using Load and choose last_save (Do not use Resume)
  5. Exit the game, and repeat steps 1 through 3.
  6. Back to step 4 when you're ready to play again.
Additional Information:
  • If you want, you can rename last_save.ck3 to Something_More_Appropriate.ck3, but if you do, you'll have to rename the new last_save.ck3 every time you exit.
  • Keep in mind that if you forget to follow the steps above and resume, you will roll back again, and an autosave will overwrite your progress. If this happens, use the backup created in step 2 so recover your file, though you will still lose your most recent progress.

This has hit me as well. I lost basically all of yesterdays progress, playing the gamepass version. Even worse, I decided just to buy the Steam Royal Edition because I liked it so much and the save doesn't transfer over. When I hover over resume, it shows the proper save file. When the game launches though, that save doesn't exist. My game isn't even generating a last_save file, just an autosave. And it isn't creating a new one either no matter what I do. It just shows the autosave from the multiplayer game I played last night in the savegame folder.

This has hit me as well. I lost basically all of yesterdays progress, playing the gamepass version. Even worse, I decided just to buy the Steam Royal Edition because I liked it so much and the save doesn't transfer over. When I hover over resume, it shows the proper save file. When the game launches though, that save doesn't exist. My game isn't even generating a last_save file, just an autosave. And it isn't creating a new one either no matter what I do. It just shows the autosave from the multiplayer game I played last night in the savegame folder.

Check the Crusader Kings III root folder rather than the Save Games folder for last_save.ck3

Since I didn't see this bug listed in the known bugs list, I'd just like to add that I also ran into this problem on my installation (microsoft store, game pass license). I got all the way to 1200 without issues, but when I saved to desktop previous night I lost a lot of progress.
Luckily, converting to a local save fixed it for now.

Having similar issue where game didint save on exit while playing IronMan. Installed via steam.
Changed to local saves, then back to cloud and got a save file back, but still lost like 3 hours of gameplay.

Originally I had issues with my non-ironman playthrough saves all being corrupted, started a new ironman playthrough, and am having the same issue as everyone else with autosaves lmao

After trying what kythlyn said it looks like the last_save.ck3 is the same data as the most recent autosave I had so it did not work, unfortunately. Guess ill try again with cloud saving disabled

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue on the Steam version.

Lost progress twice. The first time the bug was unknown.

Second time around I loaded and tested to make sure it was saving (checked the load menu in game to make sure the date had moved on) and it had. So I continued. But after closing the game yesterday and trying to load today, it has reverted to the old save.

Will try the workaround above, but this is a really poor bug.