• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Delurker

Second Lieutenant
25 Badges
Jul 21, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Did you ever take a look at the names of leaders of Circassia and think that they looked a bit odd? That they have a lot of "tch"s in them for some reason, and lots of "ou"s? Well, I googled a couple of the names one day out of curiousity and discovered that they'd been taken from this list of Medieval Circassian names, presumably after the last time someone complained about the Circassian name files. That would be all well and good, but the list that they're taken from is from a French book, and so they are written up in French transliteration, not English. Hence "Chopchouk", for example, should be rendered "Shopshuk".

I doubt it was bothering anyone else, otherwise someone would have mentioned it on the forums by now, but I wasn't happy with that, so I corrected the transliterations and expanded a lot on the possible names. I don't speak Adyghe/Kabardian etc., so I'm sure a native speaker would be able to improve them, but I'm pretty sure it's a big improvement. Additionally, I bracketed off some of the Kabardian names, so if the devs ever do get around to adding a Kabardia revolter tag (it was a fairly centralised and hierarchical state, unlike the rest of Circassia, was probably the richest area in the North Caucasus apart from the Caspian coast, made a fateful marriage alliance with Ivan the Terrible, and fought several long wars with the Crimean Khanate, so not insignificant) they can just put those in the names file.

As a bonus, it'll more or less get rid of Petrezok being the ruler of Circassia all the time, which he never was in the first place.

P.S. You know what else Kabardia was important for? Controlling the north side of the Darial Pass, which was the route the Russians used in real life to conquer the South Caucasus, but is blocked in the game by impassable mountains. Would be nice if we could get a gap in the mountains between Kartli and Alania provinces to let that be possible, and increase the strategic options available in the region.

Attachments

• Circassia.txt
    2,6 KB · Views: 21
  • CIR - Circassia.txt
    584 bytes · Views: 15
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
French localization is used in many parts of the world in EU4, showing the shallowness in etymological research that Paradox has done in its initial versions of many regions. West Africa is one area. You see weird names like Oualata or Ouagadougou when the correct English transliteration is Walata or Wagadugu.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Also, do you think you could help with this?
Sorry, I've never done National Ideas modding, so I wouldn't know. The only thing I would suggest in terms of themes for the National Ideas is something referencing the Nart Sagas. The other thing that might be worth considering is AirikrStrife 's idea from ages ago to have Circassia be Tengri, which actually makes a lot of sense when you look at the history.

Tengrism is spesific to Turks, and it is based around Turks being the owners of the world.

I know because I live in Turkey and they makes us memorize these stuff.

Animism could make sense, though.

Also, I've solved the problem, and I've laid out the ideas barely, although not finished, do you know from the balance of the ideas? Like, if i sent them to you, could you say if they are too strong or not? Also, what should be the modifier for the Nart sagas?

Tengrism is spesific to Turks, and it is based around Turks being the owners of the world.

Also, I've solved the problem, and I've laid out the ideas barely, although not finished, do you know from the balance of the ideas? Like, if i sent them to you, could you say if they are too strong or not? Also, what should be the modifier for the Nart sagas?
Not specific to Turks. Mongolic groups were mainly Tengri before Buddhism.

I didn't mean that Tengrism was a good fit in terms of what it's called - I agree that Circassians weren't Tengrists! It's about the way it works in the game, because it allows you to have a secondary faith, which works roughly in the way that the Circassians kept their Adyghe Xabze while switching from Orthodoxy to Islam. As for the Nart Saga, no idea. Likewise on the balance stuff.

Yeah I agree with you. But I am worried that it would cause confusion.

Also allow me to add - Xabze isn't only about the Paganist stuff, it also has ethical values, and we as Circassians still try to apply it to our daily lives, but yes, Paganism was a part of it before.