• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Panagean

Major
46 Badges
Nov 27, 2019
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
Note: I hate to suggest something quite so obviously DLC-able but hopefully this would come alongside a good free patch addressing the core ahistoricality of the way that colonial companies function. And I very much present this all as a set of suggestions for discussion, rather than a perfect-system out of the box - please do let me know your thoughts or where I've miskiltered something!

This is a post summarising some additions and modifications I think could be made to colonial companies, which I think are historically interesting, relatively specific to this period, underdiscussed, and shockingly unpleasant. They also do not work very well in game, being treated just as regular colonial subjects, without the idiosyncratic pressures these entities faced as quasi-autonomous profit-seeking entities - note how the British EIC exhibited some very weird behaviour before a dissolution event was grafted on. I am going to base my analysis here on my primarily on my (very much not expert) knowledge of the British East India Company, but I would hope that these systems could be expanded to also apply to the Dutch VOC, the British South Africa Company, United Fruit, and conceivably dynamically generated company entities. I imagine some of this might be best left on the shelf until investment and nationalism mechanics are properly worked out, but to start mixing in ideas across three broad areas:

Dissolution

It strikes me that company-colonies should have three ways of "ending", the latter two of which represent real crises faced by the East India Company:
  1. Popular revolt either shattering them or reforming them into the modern, multinational state they now represent (India, Indonesia, etc.). I will leave this aside for the moment because I think it would have to come as part of a broader reform around national revolts, and I am not qualified enough really to talk about nationalist revolts in these places (except to observe that I think it was in part because of the shared resistance to colonial oppression that a coherent notion of many modern states - e.g. India, Ireland - exist).
  2. Bankruptcy and nationalisation; should the company run out of operating cash through the normal bankruptcy mechanics (e.g. as in 1773 for the EIC), its overlord should receive an option either to bail it out in exchange for some reforms (as happened IRL), or nationalise the company, assuming its debt and angering relevant IGs in both countries. The history is a little messy, but we could also say this is how the EIC IRL failed, becoming much more of a regular administrative entity after the 1833 nationalisation.
  3. Disgrace (and nationalisation): company rule was controversial even in its own time (Dalrymple in The Anarchy argues that the fear of American colonists of EIC involvement in America was a motivating factor in their independence movement), particularly as the company continued to expand despite parliamentary and popular protest in the UK. This became untenable after the Indian Rebellion of 1857, both because of the cruelty with which the rebellion was suppressed and the realisation that the company struggled to meaningfully exert control over India (India was turned over to direct rule by the British state in 1858 as a consequence). I would make it far easier for company entities to generate infamy and fall into border tussles with their native neighbours, as well as add a suite of infamy generating events representing (e.g.) the various famines caused by heavy taxation, underinvestment in infrastructure and misaligned economic incentives under corporate rule. Active revolts could trigger a ticking "disgrace" meter which is accelerated by high infamy, with the meter timing out resulting in nationalisation. The board game John Company also argues that continuing to pay high dividends might improve the "disgrace" pressure on the company, which certainly seemed to be a factor in the relatively generous terms of the EIC's 1773 bailout - I would model dividends generally as an additional expense the company must pay out to its Board of Directors IG pops (see below), potentially accessed as a new slider/five-button on the budget tab.

Interest groups

I have many, many, many gripes with the interest group system in general (see my signature for a set of rolling rants), but in any event, they are a mischaracterisation of the various pressures faced by colonial companies. In my ideal world, each country would begin with their own well-researched set of individual starting IGs and generate new ones dynamically as the game progressed, and so here is my suggestion for the (largely-undynamic) IGs I think colonial companies could have:

NameDescriptionEligibilityFurther attractionsGeneral political descriptionUnhappy trait effectHappy trait effectLoyal trait effect
Board of directorsShareholders in the company, and their representativesEither:
  • Capitalist, officer or aristocrat of primary culture
  • Lives in the capital of the overlord country, participates in the investment pool
Capitalists + 100
Aristocrats + 50
Seeks to improve the productive capacity of the country but only insofar as it benefits investors, unconcerned by native rightsIncreases dividend payments (an additional tax expense paid to members of this IG)Greater contribution to investment poolReduces dividend payments
Metropolitan administratorsRepresentatives of the company's overlord governmentEither:
  • Academic, aristocrat, bureaucrat, clergymen, clerks, officers of primary culture and religion
  • Academic, capitalist, aristocrat, bureaucrat, officer of primary culture and religion living in capital of overlord country
Bureaucrat + 200
Aristocrat + 50
Officer + 50
Clerk + 25
Seeks to maintain control and order, both of the country and the company itselfIncreased disgrace generationPassive increase to overlord opinionMore influence
Foreign mercenariesThe central corps of the company's military, pulled from European soldiers-of-fortuneAll of:
  • Not discriminated against by overlord
  • Soldier or officer
Officer +200
Soldier +100
Primary culture and religion of overlord or company + 100
Jingoism, looting, and keeping native elements out of government and the militaryIncreased military expenditureBetter combat statsMore immigration from foreign soldiers and officers
CompanymenThe administrative and commercial ranks of the company, seeking to find their fortune abroadAll of:
  • Not discriminated
Bureaucrat +100
Capitalist +25
Clerk +200
Engineer +100
Shopkeeper +200
Primary culture and religion of overlord or company + 100
Trade and meritocratic government for EuropeansDecreased base market accessIncreased trade route effiencyMore immigration from foreign clerks, engineers and shopkeepers
Local PrincesThe existing aristocracy and their supporters who the company seeks to exert control throughAll of:
  • Not primary culture or religion
Aristocrat + 400
Clergymen +200
Officer + 100
Traditional aristocratic rule continuing their powerIncreased radical generationFor some reason, not box to the right in the editor?

Happy: increased bureaucratic efficiency

Loyal: Increased assimilation
Local RegimentsSoldiers recruited from the local populationAll of:
  • Soldier or officer
Soldier +200
Officer + 50
???Increased disgrace/radical generation?Decreased military expenditureHigher combat stats
Full subjectsIndigenous population who fully interact with the apparatus of company ruleAll of:
Bureaucrat +50
Clerk +50
Shopkeeper +50
More attraction from high SoL, urbanisation and high literacy
Open, meritocratic, modern society. Likely to push for independence movements if angered.Increased technology costsFor some reason, not box to the right in the editor?

Happy: more prestige

Loyal: Decreased disgrace generation

Rural traditionalistsIndigenous population largely untouched by company ruleAll of:
Clergymen +100
Famers +200
Laborers +50
Traditional, agrarian society. Likely to push for independence movements if angered.Decreased primary industry outputIncreased literacy accessDecreased radical generation

Laws

A number of the laws, governance principles, distribution of power, economic system and trade policy make significantly less sense for a state predicated on its existed as a colonial charter designed to extract value. I would instead propose the following laws:

Governance Structure
LawRequirementsEffectsIG support
Rule through the Princes:
We will pretend to respect existing political structure, exerting our control through the local traditional overlords
+25% Local Princes clout
+10% bureaucracy
Foreign mercenaries oppose
Companymen oppose
Local princes strongly support
Local regiments support
Rural traditionalists support
Shareholder autonomy:
Our investors, and their representatives in the Board of Directors, shall have complete authority in how best to pursue the interests of the company
+25% Board of directors clout
+50% investment pool contribution from capitalists and aristocrats
+25% disgrace generation
Board of directors strongly support
Metropolitan administrators support
Foreign mercenaries support
Companymen strongly support
Local Princes oppose
Rural Traditionalists strongly oppose
Metropolitan oversight:
We require the oversight of our home government to keep the local population in check, and avoid the worst excesses of company rule
+25% Metropolitan Administrators clout
+100 authority
+50 influence
+10 legitimacy
Board of directors oppose
Metropolitan administrators strongly support
Local princes oppose
Rural traditionalists oppose
Local administration:
We will devolve the day-to-day ruling of the company to its local administrators and officers.
+25% Companymen clout
+25% bureaucracy
+25% disgrace generation
Companymen strongly support
Local princes oppose
Full subjects support

Economic Focus
LawRequirementsEffectsIG support
Traditionalism(As base game)(As base game)Board of directors strongly oppose
Metropolitan adminstrators strongly oppose
Companymen strongly oppose
Local Princes strongly support
Rural Traditionalists strongly support
Agrarian Exploitation:
The true wealth of this country is found in its fields and natural resources. Our top priority should be to apply modern techniques for maximum extractive potential. The tea must flow!
Intensive agriculture researched+25% investment pool contribution from aristocrats and capitalists
Similar restrictions to agrarianism on building types
Board of directors support
Companymen support
Rural traditionalists strongly oppose
Trade Nexus:
Our ports will form the connective tissue of empire, taking the goods from our colonies back to the metropole.
International trade researched+25% trade route efficiency
+25% convoy production from ports
+25% clout from shopkeepers and capitalists
+25% investment pool contribution from shopkeepers and capitalists
Board of directors strongly support
Companymen support
Colonial development:
We will embark on the process of developing this land into a modern economy.
Subject overlord does not have any of:
  • Colonial exploitation
  • Ethnostate, national supremacy
  • Serfdom
  • Slave trade, legacy slavery
Has researched human rights, railways
Same as base game InterventionismBoard of directors support
Companymen oppose
Full subjects strongly support

Civil Service Access
LawRequirementsEffectsIG Support
Exclusive Minority Rule:
It is only citizens from our homeland who are fit to rule this country - no native can participate in our colonial project.
Any culture sharing a heritage culture trait and another culture trait with a primary culture is accepted
-50% qualifications access for non-accepted cultures
Non-accepted pops cannot become officers or bureaucrats
Foreign mercenaries: strongly support
Companymen: support
Local regiments: oppose
Full subjects: strongly oppose
Restricted Access:
We will restrict access to senior roles to people who share our background and values; still, the very best of the locals will be eligible to at least apply.
BureaucracyAny culture sharing a heritage trait with a primary culture is accepted
-25% qualifications access for non-accepted cultures
Companymen: oppose
Local regiments: support
Full subjects: support
Full Participation:
Civil service positions and military commissions are open to all on a broadly meritocratic basis.
Bureaucracy, egalitarianism, human rightsAny culture sharing a trait with a primary culture is accepted
All religions are accepted
Foreign mercenaries: strongly oppose
Companymen: oppose
Local regiments: strongly support
Full subjects: strongly support

I would also add an event with a low likelihood of firing that gives cultures largely under company control an additional linguistic trait of their coloniser so that "Full participation" actually functions as intended.

What do you think?

• 1Like
Reactions: