• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The product key is on your gamers gate account. The same place you download, you will find the key and manuals :)

Why should you register?? ...why not??

I am pretty sure that Paradox will not even look at any bugs you report without you being a registered user.

I am not sure they are as strict as in the EU3 forum, where threads started by unregistered users are sometimes closed.

You would think that they would have a sticky with instruction on how to find your key and how to register it on the forums (It may exist in other forums but I never go to any other forum besides the CK related ones). It seems like they do want people who use their forums to register the games they purchase so it would make sense that they should want to make it as easy as possible.

Although for some people it may be intuitively obvious (I for one had absolutely no problem), I accept and respect the fact that the users of these forums come from all different backgrounds and some may have difficulties in working out how to do this task.

In fact I just whipped up a quick tute for my esteemed forum colleagues.

Firstly you need to find your serial (It can't be called a cd-key because well, a CD doesn't exist for DV). To do this run Gamersgate, the same program you used to download the game.

Once you are logged onto Gamersgate find it by being on the product's page. The serial will be on the left as shown and circled in the screenshot below.

The serial will be 24 characters. I have blanked out everything after the first 4 characters as I am not ready to share my serial with the world yet.

Once you have found and written down this serial, You need to access your User Control Panel. When you are logged into the Paradox forums, you should see the option at the top of your screen, just under the banner, as shown in the screen shot below. Left click on this to go to your User CP options.

From here you want to choose My Games/Registrations as shown in the screenshot below. Left click to go to this page.

Here you register all your newish Paradox games, not just DV. There is no registration for CK and a few older games as they were made before this system was implemented and it would be a logistics nightmare to retrospectively try and give out serials for these games. So don't try and find your serial for the original CK as it does not exist.

Type in your serial in the area circled in the screenshot below. The screenshot does not have the spaces to put your serial as obviously as it states I have already registered the game. For you it should look exactly the same as all the other games you have not registered.

Once the serial is typed in, left click on register. It should now say successful registration and when you post you should get a funky looking cross either next to or below your name (depending whether you have an avatar or not).

Last edited:
Ardrigh said:
You would think that they would have a sticky with instruction on how to find your key and how to register it on the forums (It may exist in other forums but I never go to any other forum besides the CK related ones). It seems like they do want people who use their forums to register the games they purchase so it would make sense that they should want to make it as easy as possible.

Nah, it's nothing evil but I'm just lazy. Stickified!

Dark Scipio said:
Am I right, that I can`t register with a Complete Pack I bought?

Correct

Though there is no registration required to get access to any sub-forum of Crusader Kings

Veldmaarschalk said:
Correct

Though there is no registration required to get access to any sub-forum of Crusader Kings

:( aah! but I wanted my DV icon!

Veldmaarschalk said:
Correct

Doh! Wish I'd seen this post before I bought the Complete Pack. Just spent an hour looking for a way to register. Oh well. At least I've now got DV though, although I do want to shake a general figurative fist at the gods!

Indeed.. Also got me the Complete Pack, and want to register..

Last edited:

I just hope thats different for the other complete packs I'm about to order off amazon soon.

As to why I order off amazon and not gamersgate: I want real media and boxes to collect.

On that note stardock allows digital distribution with the possibility to order a physical media too.
You only get the disk in one of these papersheets with a serial on it though.

And another complaint about being unable to register the complete pack.

It's not quite an outrage, but it is damn annoying and puts Paradox down a few notches for me. Even though I'm not interested in any icons, it is the attitude supporting ghost software as opposed to software on CDs/DVDs in cases and complete with manuals which I find deeply alienating and off-putting.

The_Guiscard said:
And another complaint about being unable to register the complete pack.

It's not quite an outrage, but it is damn annoying and puts Paradox down a few notches for me. Even though I'm not interested in any icons, it is the attitude supporting ghost software as opposed to software on CDs/DVDs in cases and complete with manuals which I find deeply alienating and off-putting.

Registered and unregistered DV-users get the same-support. There are no hidden forums for unregistered users. So you can post in the bug-, technical-support and mod-forum, even when you aren't registered.

The complete CK+DV pack isn't published by Paradox themselves, but by local distributors.

Veldmaarschalk said:
Registered and unregistered DV-users get the same-support. There are no hidden forums for unregistered users. So you can post in the bug-, technical-support and mod-forum, even when you aren't registered.

The complete CK+DV pack isn't published by Paradox themselves, but by local distributors.

Just like I said, it's not support or goodies per se I am concerned with, but the very mindset that makes a difference between downloaded sofware and software bought as an actual hardcopy. Under no circumstances would I ever purchase a download, wether a complete game or an extension, and so I am always worried at signs of any preferential treatment of download buyers, as I strongly suspect a preference of the company behind it.

The fact that hardcopies of software may not be published by the mother company itself does not change this, as this would only be relevant if the distributor published illegally, without holding a license from the mother company.

Yes, me too. Bought the Complete Pack of Crusader Kings an still don´t get my well deserved Deus Vult icon on the forum :(