Can't open the game "a javascript error occured in the main process"

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

selim

Recruit
19 Badges
May 26, 2018
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
The game was working fine until this morning I don't recall changing any files. Tried uninstalling and installing the game and launcher. Tried deleting launcher v2 folders. Can someone help me ? I can't find anything useful for this.

1600761024272.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
That looks like a pretty old launcher version. Please try this:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.

Note that you can run eu4.exe directly from Windows Explorer, which bypasses the launcher.

• 1Like
Reactions:

- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

Please attach them here.

Note that you can run eu4.exe directly from Windows Explorer, which bypasses the launcher.
hi, so I have the same error. If I do what you say it works, but just once. every time I exit EU4 I get the same error. After uninstalling launcher v2 and launching eu4 seems like launcher v2 installs again, and looks like the launcher before the play sets were added. I got no "C or F :/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/", not even the AppData folder.

The game does runbypassing the launcher as you said, but cant apply mods or anything, ofcourse.

Pretty crazy everything since I play every single day and it just started to give this error for no reason aparently.

You get the ENOENT error in the OP here, you are saying? because I have not seen that one for a while.

I got no "C or F :/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/", not even the AppData folder.
As i mentioned above, To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer. It is a Windows system folder and will certainly be there.

You get the ENOENT error in the OP here, you are saying? because I have not seen that one for a while.

As i mentioned above, To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer. It is a Windows system folder and will certainly be there.
I'm retarded and it's fixed, thank you very much

Please attach them here.

Hello! Not meaning to dig up old threads here, but I'm encountering this issue suddenly when running CK3 as well. I followed the instructions to delete all the appdata files, it worked the first time, and now after trying to boot the game from steam again, it no longer works and I'm encountering the same issue once more. I'm wondering what you mean by attaching the .log files in the launcher-v2 folder for the second solution, if you could please clarify? Thank you

Hello! Not meaning to dig up old threads here, but I'm encountering this issue suddenly when running CK3 as well. I followed the instructions to delete all the appdata files, it worked the first time, and now after trying to boot the game from steam again, it no longer works and I'm encountering the same issue once more. I'm wondering what you mean by attaching the .log files in the launcher-v2 folder for the second solution, if you could please clarify? Thank you
Can you please make a new thread in the CK3 tech support forum? Thanks!

Attaching the files means to use the Attach Files button under your post here, so I can see the log files there.

I encounter the same error as of tonight, which is weird. I reinstalled no dice. Uninstalled and tried to remove the paradox launcher which doesn't work for some odd reason. I will restart my PC see if that has any effect otherwise I don't know how to resolve this issue.

I was playing the game and restarted. Now getting the same error. Following the steps above did not fix it. Was there an update that borked the launcher?

Same here. I tried the steps suggested above, it worked once; then I tried to restart the game and the launcher v2, uninstalled before, was reinstalled and it gave the same error. The game only starts bypassing the launcher

Oh, funny. I found this thread googling the issue only to find out it's a recent happening. I think I might make a fresh thread so we're not all posting on this old thing.

same problem here, removing the laucher and deleting the folders resolved the problem only once after that when the laucher download the newest patch the next time i run the game same bug

I got this issue today as well. Probably today's update broke something. In my case, Stellaris stopped launching.
Resolved as following:
From C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Local\Programs\Paradox Interactive moved today's folder to a safe location one level above...

1611098742770.png

So launcher is calling previous version now, which worked fine.

Reactions: