• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kansai-kun

Lippish Lobbyist
92 Badges
Jun 9, 2012
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
I'm currently playing Burgundy in a MP game and planning to have some colonies of my own in the Americas. My first instinct was: "Ok, something French" - but what exactly? France still exists, so I want to avoid to have two colonies with the same name existing next to each other.

What would be good names for Burgundian colonies? Should I really only use French names or maybe some of the "secondary languages" (Flemish/Dutch, German)?

Sounds like you're asking from a RP-ish standpoint, so... which approach are you taking? Are you a duke fancying himself as King of France (with the intent to conquer and make it so)? If so, yeah go with French stuff. Or are you going more of a "Burgundy is an independent kingdom not subject to the French crown with its own culture etc"? In that case you can go "Burgundian" because you're already establishing a new (ahistorical) cultural identity.

Or you could bypass that question entirely and use "New" instead of a cultural descriptor. "New Burgundy" for your first (non-isle?) colonial nation, then start using names for regions within your European holdings.

Sounds like you're asking from a RP-ish standpoint, so... which approach are you taking? Are you a duke fancying himself as King of France (with the intent to conquer and make it so)? If so, yeah go with French stuff. Or are you going more of a "Burgundy is an independent kingdom not subject to the French crown with its own culture etc"? In that case you can go "Burgundian" because you're already establishing a new (ahistorical) cultural identity.

Or you could bypass that question entirely and use "New" instead of a cultural descriptor. "New Burgundy" for your first (non-isle?) colonial nation, then start using names for regions within your European holdings.
I'm currently trying to establish a new Burgundian identity centered around the Lowlands and Northern Germany, but French is still the official language - one idea was to look for historical Dutch colonies and use the French version of their names. Depending on how integrated England is at this point, maybe one of my colonies will be "Nouvelle-Angleterre".

Nouvelle-Bourgogne perhaps? Nouvelle-Anvers? Bourgogne Américaine?
I'll use the first one in any case. :)

Why should I name it after a non-existant entity?:blink:

Last edited:
Nouvelle-Zélande for a colony in Australia, naturally.

Nouvelle-[Your Capital Province's City] would work for Eastern America, on the basis that the Dutch opted for New Amsterdam using their capital's name.

New Flanders and Nova Belgica.

Nouvelle-Zélande for a colony in Australia, naturally.

Nouvelle-[Your Capital Province's City] would work for Eastern America, on the basis that the Dutch opted for New Amsterdam using their capital's name.

New Amsterdam was actually used for New York, IIRC they called the colony itself New Netherlands with the Hudson River Area being New Holland (not so sure about this last one, though).

Nevers-Forget
Free Bar

You can also name places after the king/queen when they are colonised. Charleston, for instance, or Phillipines, for Charles the Bold and Phillip the Good.

Well the southern Low Lands had been called Belgica by the Romans. It's a bit like the area of Finland that had been called Finland long before the nation of Finland existed.
What did you think that they just came up with the name Belgium out of the blue?
Maybe because Netherlands was already taken? :D Just kidding - though I don't really like Belgica/Belgium as a name. The country's first and foremost identified as Burgundy - even if I ceded my southern provinces in a mutual agreement - so I'd like to avoid using Roman/Rome-inspired names for my colonies. It's bad enough that my liege can't stop shouting about being Roman Emperor. :confused:

Another idea: I could name one of my colonies after Jean Calvin. After all, Burgundy was one of the first Calvinist countries in our game. :)

Canada : cote des fourrures (fur coast)
Mexico : pays d'or (land of gold)
13 : New Zeeland (game doesn't have it IIRC, old zeeland is in the Low Countries)
Brazil : cap des fortunes (cape of fortunes)
Argentina : Ruyterville, after famous admiral
Australia : Tasmania (Tasman was Dutch)
California : Nouvelles frontieres (new frontiers)
Alaska : Cap inaccessible (inaccessible cape, in honor of inaccessible island :) )

Sorry about the accents, haven't set up my keyboard

I'm a fan of naming my colonial nations after my rulers. Primarily because I dislike the default <Culture> <Region> format.

Although, for my England game, I just named everything Maritime <Region> because I wanted them to all be listed together in that war summary window thing.

I named thoses ''Généralités'' in my Bourgogne game, like a administrative division. So I had a Généralité du Canada, Généralité des Indes occidentales, Généralité de l'Amérique and so forth.