• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Game Version: 3.3.3
Game Checksum: XELM
Mod Stage: Alpha
Mod Version: 14.1.0
Installation Method: Version 14.1.0 was downloaded from the forum
Additional Mods: Tianxia music, unit and portrait submods, Colored buttons, Rename anyone, and Sketchy Cheat Menu
Brief Summary of Issue: The mod won't load, the eastern portion of the map is the same as vanilla, as if it was never installed.

Game Version: 3.3.3
Game Checksum: XELM
Mod Version: 14.1.0
Installation Method: Version 14.1.0 was downloaded from the forum
Additional Mods: Tianxia music, unit and portrait submods, Colored buttons, Rename anyone, and Sketchy Cheat Menu
Brief Summary of Issue: The mod won't load, the eastern portion of the map is the same as vanilla, as if it was never installed.

Cannot reproduce when using a fresh installation of Tianxia 14.0.1 (there is not yet a 14.1.0) alongside CleanSlate 1.0 Beta 6.1 (which you should be using, as per the instructions included with Tianxia) and the graphical Tianxia submods (and the music one certainly wouldn't cause this); I've also looked at the contents of the .zip posted in the main thread, and the "map" folder looks as expected. The issue would appear to be on your end.

The most likely causes I can think of:

- You've not actually activated Tianxia itself; perhaps you've just got the submods active?

- You've not got CleanSlate active. I don't think it'd casue this particular issue, but it'd certainly cause issues if you tried playing, so worth looking into regardless.

- You've not followed the installation instructions; for example, if you haven't completely deleted any and all old Tianxia files you had -- including the .mod file -- prior to a fresh installation, things would certainly be buggy (if probably not in this way).

- CleanSlate overrides almost all vanilla files, and we override quite a lot of their files. If any of the other mods you mentioned -- I'm not familiar enough with them to tell -- mess with any vanilla files, it's quite possible they override a CleanSlate/Tianxia change somewhere, and that could result in various issues depending on the specifics; excepting CleanSlate (which we have ensured we're compatible with the latest release of), unless another mod specifically claims it is compatible with Tianxia -- and we will not be verifying such claims, nor will we be taking steps to ensure compatibility down the line -- it is very possible you'll run into compatibility issues using the mod in question alongside Tianxia.

Cannot reproduce when using a fresh installation of Tianxia 14.0.1 (there is not yet a 14.1.0) alongside CleanSlate 1.0 Beta 6.1 (which you should be using, as per the instructions included with Tianxia) and the graphical Tianxia submods (and the music one certainly wouldn't cause this); I've also looked at the contents of the .zip posted in the main thread, and the "map" folder looks as expected. The issue would appear to be on your end.

The most likely causes I can think of:

- You've not actually activated Tianxia itself; perhaps you've just got the submods active?

- You've not got CleanSlate active. I don't think it'd casue this particular issue, but it'd certainly cause issues if you tried playing, so worth looking into regardless.

- You've not followed the installation instructions; for example, if you haven't completely deleted any and all old Tianxia files you had -- including the .mod file -- prior to a fresh installation, things would certainly be buggy (if probably not in this way).

- CleanSlate overrides almost all vanilla files, and we override quite a lot of their files. If any of the other mods you mentioned -- I'm not familiar enough with them to tell -- mess with any vanilla files, it's quite possible they override a CleanSlate/Tianxia change somewhere, and that could result in various issues depending on the specifics; excepting CleanSlate (which we have ensured we're compatible with the latest release of), unless another mod specifically claims it is compatible with Tianxia -- and we will not be verifying such claims, nor will we be taking steps to ensure compatibility down the line -- it is very possible you'll run into compatibility issues using the mod in question alongside Tianxia.
Is CleanSlate activated as if it were a mod? because when I try it like that it still doesn't work.

And if the only compatibility issues are regarding the Map, then the other two mods shouldn't be the issue as results don't change whether I have them or not.

Also if this helps, this is my first time installing Tianxia so I don't have any old mod versions.

Is CleanSlate activated as if it were a mod? because when I try it like that it still doesn't work.

CleanSlate is a mod, so yes.

And if the only compatibility issues are regarding the Map, then the other two mods shouldn't be the issue as results don't change whether I have them or not.

While it's good to hear that the mods in question don't seem to break the map, be advised that there could be a plethora of other issues arising from them being incompatible; again, CleanSlate and Tianxia overwrite most of vanilla, and if the mods in question have files that get overwritten by CleanSlate/Tianxia, overwrite CleanSlate/Tianxia files, or create a duplicate of something due to making changes to a removed file in a folder that's being replaced on the folder level, any number of things could break.

Also if this helps, this is my first time installing Tianxia so I don't have any old mod versions.

Okay; that rules out some things that potentially could create weirdness, if probably not this issue. I assume you've properly unzipped CleanSlate and Tianxia in the proper location (...\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod)?

Cleanslate has different culture names for Arabic cultures in 00_arabic.txt than Tianxia. Since Tianxia overwrites it with its own 00_arabic.txt text file, history files not overwritten, like levantine_arabic.txt, will use the Cleanslate Cultures that are being overwritten and cause noculture characters and provinces to appear. Looking further, Cleanslate also changes anglo-saxon to anglo_saxon, and Tianxia doesn't overwrite the culture file 00_west_germanic.txt anglo-saxons get hit with noculture too.

Last edited:
Cleanslate has different culture names for Arabic cultures in 00_arabic.txt than Tianxia. Since Tianxia overwrites it with its own 00_arabic.txt text file, history files not overwritten, like levantine_arabic.txt, will use the Cleanslate Cultures that are being overwritten and cause noculture characters and provinces to appear. Looking further, Cleanslate also changes anglo-saxon to anglo_saxon, and Tianxia doesn't overwrite the culture file 00_west_germanic.txt anglo-saxons get hit with noculture too.

As of the latest release version of CleanSlate -- which is the one we've told people to use in e.g. the changelog -- the culture tags have the same names as Tianxia does, so this is only an issue when using the wrong version of CleanSlate.

We cannot reasonably update Tianxia whenever there's a new CleanSlate commit, particularly not as it at times will involve more than "Check if we've got any of the same files; if so, port the changes without overwriting our own". I trust that the CleanSlate team hasn't deviated from the "Fix various kinds of objective vanilla issues, don't 'fix' vanilla design decisions we disagree with" approach and that they're not intentionally breaking anything but even so it is bad practice to blindly port changes -- and this isn't me saying that I think the CleanSlate team is doing a poor job -- since they might break things (I've caused CTDs, horrible performance drops, and other things off of a 'harmless last minute fix before the commit'), might not be proper fixes (perhaps they only fixed half the issue), might cause issues in some Tianxia-specific use case (and we make use of plenty of vanilla/CleanSlate things that we haven't actually made changes to), might be changes that are wrong for Tianxia (perhaps we also found an issue and fixed it in a different way that feels better), or might have some other issue.

As such, any CleanSlate changes made following the release linked above will not be ported to Tianxia until such a time there is a new CleanSlate release version, and depending on when that happens in relation to ongoing Tianxia work the actual release of the compatibility update might need to wait until the next proper Tianxia update, seeing as the compatibility work otherwise will have to be done twice.

Game Version: 3.3.5.1
Checksum: SOHY
Mod Version: 14.0.0
Installation Method: Downloaded from Forum
Additional Mods: All Submods. CleanSlate Beta 6.1, Visible Health and Fertility, SCMR for Vanilla EN, Cheat Invasion CB, A Bigger Interface

Brief Summary of Issue: Game Crashes when camera approaches the northeastern part of China when zoomed in. Game runs fine otherwise.

Just let me know what else you need to know, cause I'm not sure what information is relevant

Game Version: 3.3.5.1
Checksum: SOHY
Mod Version: 14.0.0
Installation Method: Downloaded from Forum
Additional Mods: All Submods. CleanSlate Beta 6.1, Visible Health and Fertility, SCMR for Vanilla EN, Cheat Invasion CB, A Bigger Interface

Brief Summary of Issue: Game Crashes when camera approaches the northeastern part of China when zoomed in. Game runs fine otherwise.

Just let me know what else you need to know, cause I'm not sure what information is relevant

Where in NE China would this be? The de jure, or modern day China?

I've been able to narrow it Down to somewhere near the Bohai Sea, I'm guessing somewhere in the dejure kingdoms of Hebei, Dong-xia, or Liaoling

Okay; that narrows it down a bit. I'll take a look (probably not today) and see if I can reproduce the issue.

I can't seem to reproduce any CTDs when zooming in in the general Bohai Sea area, normally moving around that general area zoomed in, or zipping to/from/around the area using the minimap, both paused and unpaused. I did the testing on a dev version, but I can't think of anything we've changed that'd fix such a CTD.

I suggest you try deactivating the mods that aren't Tianxia, Tianxia submods, or CleanSlate and see if the issue persists.