• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Markstar

Recruit
Dec 21, 2016
Hi,
I have created the latest version of my program and thought that I might share it here in addition to the original reddit thread. Here is a screenshot:
IGCf3kD.jpg

The program loads the star system information from your BATTLETECH folder (MODS are supported) and gives you the option to customize the map in various ways as well as export the data to a CSV file that you can then use for further analysis.

Most importantly, you much better filter options that you are free to combine in any way. Furthermore, the new support for the display of intermediary travel routes might come in handy (thank you Mpstark!).

I have worked on it for quite a while now and hope you find it as useful as I have.

The program was written in Java (so you will need the Java JDK). I have released the source code on GitHub. You can also download a JAR file or an EXE file. Note that since the EXE is just the wrapped JAR using Launch4j, you might get an incorrect virus warning. I have also created a little readme in HTML that explains the available options in further detail.

Let me know what you think!

[Mod edit: Links removed. Unapproved links are not allowed]

Edit: Since the mods removed the links, I guess you have to get the download or some more screenshots over at reddit. :/ The thread is named: I created a utility to display and analyze the star systems.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting. When BattleTech 1.6 was released, I drew manually a star map to show the new star systems added on that version and published it on these forums. It looks almost the same as yours.

Star Map 16.png

How do you get mods to load? I want to use this with my Hyades Rim mod but I can't find any instructions on how to load mods.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have created the latest version of my program and thought that I might share it here in addition to the original reddit thread...
Outstanding Contribution to the BATTLETECH Community! Thank you Good @Markstar! :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. When BattleTech 1.6 was released, I drew manually a star map to show the new star systems added on that version and published it on these forums. It looks almost the same as yours.
What do you mean, manually??? That sounds like a lot of work! :eek:

How do you get mods to load? I want to use this with my Hyades Rim mod but I can't find any instructions on how to load mods.
You can edit the INI file to enable browsing to the folder that contains the starsystemdef_* files directly and then point it to the directory with the modded star systems. This will disable certain safety checks, but I have tested it and it should work. The detailed description can be found in the readme that you can also download. ;)

Also, what are approved links?

You can edit the INI file to enable browsing to the folder that contains the starsystemdef_* files directly and then point it to the directory with the modded star systems. This will disable certain safety checks, but I have tested it and it should work. The detailed description can be found in the readme that you can also download. ;)

directDirectorySelection=true

I tried this and your app doesn't start anymore. I've included the log file.

Attachments

• log.txt
    3,3 KB · Views: 3
directDirectorySelection=true

I tried this and your app doesn't start anymore. I've included the log file.
Hmm, I never had the program not start at all for me (Win7/Win10).

Anyways, I think the cause of the error is that you still have the main folder set as target. When you enable directDirectorySelection, lastDir has to point directly to your directory containing the starsystemdef_* files (as I wrote above).

BTStarSystems should still open with a file selection dialog, so I don't know what's going on there, but try this. ;)

I hope this helps!

Edit: I just realized that MOD support only goes so far right now. Right now all faction owners other than those in the base game would be ignored. Also, the map is cut to that corner of the Inner Sphere. While it would be easy to enable some factions (which are in the game but not as owners, e.g. Kurita, Steiner) and I guess I could determine the map size dynamically, adding factions that are not in the game would be a bit more work.

However, if you tell me which factions need to be added (including their identification ("ownerID") in the JSON files and an icon (preferably 20x20)), I could absolutely add this in the future.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I've a question about this. I recently took another look at the jump links / travel lines and realized that either it wasn't showing a complete picture, or I wasn't understanding the intent of the Travel Links checkbox.

As an example, in Canopian space, Dunianshire shows links to Cate's Hold and Balawat, but not Dainmar Majoris. I expected a link to be visible to Dainmar Majoris since it is closer to Dunianshire than the other two systems.

Can you help me better understand this?

I've a question about this. I recently took another look at the jump links / travel lines and realized that either it wasn't showing a complete picture, or I wasn't understanding the intent of the Travel Links checkbox.

As an example, in Canopian space, Dunianshire shows links to Cate's Hold and Balawat, but not Dainmar Majoris. I expected a link to be visible to Dainmar Majoris since it is closer to Dunianshire than the other two systems.

Can you help me better understand this?
Here is the appropriate section from the readme:
  • Show Travel Lines: This will display all possible routes to nearby star systems where it is possible to avoid going into orbit. The lines are divided by half: If both halves are green, this means there are routes so that each can pass by the other without going into orbit (e.g. Aomen to Lopez). However, if a section is grey, that means the system can't travel to the other system without going into orbit (e.g. Piriapolis may travel through Fagerholm without going into orbit, but not vice versa).

Reactions: