• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Logistical Nightmare

The northern Romanian pocket is visibly decreasing every day. The Romanian defenders are broken, so they cannot resist the attacks of our troops. They will probably surrender in the following days.

After a surprisingly short but quite bloody battle the city of Ploesti and valuable oil fields were captured by the German soldiers. We are now approaching Bucharest. We expect to face some opposition, but there is no doubt the capital will fall sooner or later. When this happens, the Romanians will most likely surrender.

The Soviets were forced to move forces from the southern part of the Kuban Region to defend against the advancing German forces in the areas located north of Kuban. We decided to exploit this weakness and encircle several Soviet divisions in the process. Despite big logistical problems, several armoured, motorised and mechanised divisions were ordered to attack the Soviet tanks in two selected places.

The Soviet defenders were quickly overwhelmed, but we are unsure whether we will be able to advance very far because of our strained supply network.

Northern Romanian defenders are now isolated in a single province. There is no escape.

Our troops are slowly pushing forward in the Kuban Offensive. As expected, various supply problems became noticeable as soon as our divisions left their initial positions. As a result, they cannot fight with full efficiency and in the worst cases they are unable to advance at all.

Our soldiers are eagerly anticipating the completion of the first set of infrastructure improvements which are scheduled for November. Trucks loaded with supplies became the new symbol of hope and many soldiers fighting in the region now know the names of the truck drivers.

We have begun the siege of Bucharest, meeting surprisingly little resistance. However, the Romanian reinforcements are arriving as we speak. The enemy is also counterattacking in the province north-west to the capital, but reinforcements are already on their way.

We are making progress in our Kuban Offensive, but logistical problems prevent us from exploiting our gains to the fullest. Unforuntately, the Bolsheviks have many armoured formations in the region and a better supply situation, so they are able to withdraw in time.

However, we have found an another weakly defended spot in their lines and our armoured and mobile divisions are already pushing forward in the area north-east of Rostov. Our supply situation is a bit better here, so it should be possible to keep the pressure on our enemies for a while.

Our logistical situation in Kuban is becoming desperate. As a result, we cannot translate our tactical victories into operational successes. The Soviet divisions, although badly mauled, managed to avoid encirclement, so we have to declare that the initial phase of the Kuban Offensive failed.

In order to decrease our supply problems in the East, the Fuhrer decided that all battered or exhausted divisions will be transferred to the west whenever possible.

Despite the failure of the first phase, we still have a chance to form several encirclements. The Soviets lack reserves, so we plan to cut them off from Stalingrad by capturing several provinces located deeper in Russia, where they will not be able to respond quickly to the German advance.

interesting tussle as much with your supply lines as with the enemy ... & of course in the first instance SR-ing divisions out will make the situation worse. But it looks like you've reached the position where you had to reduce your forces or your supply net was permanently overloaded

Soon you will have to deal with the true enemy: the Russian winter! Well done in Romania. Planning to add another province to greater Germany?

But it looks like you've reached the position where you had to reduce your forces or your supply net was permanently overloaded
Yes, it seems that I simply cannot have the luxury of strong reserves. Some INF divs will be relocated to Poland, while other ones will be relocated to France in preparation for Sea Lion. After Romania is conquered, I will move even more divs to Germany and France.

Soon you will have to deal with the true enemy: the Russian winter! Well done in Romania. Planning to add another province to greater Germany?
In HOI3, the Russian Winter is not as crippling as one could think, because the weather model is very unreliable. I actually increased winter combat penalties for AAR purposes in order to make it harder to fight during winter, but if there is no snow, then the penalties don't kick in. However, winter does affect supply throughput, so it obviously concerns me to some extent.

Planning to add another province to greater Germany?
Yeah, it looks like it :)

and all that while facing some stiff counterattacks elsewhere. how do you keep a cool head?

and all that while facing some stiff counterattacks elsewhere. how do you keep a cool head?
Remember that "northern wall" I was supposed to create? Well, I DID create a northern defence line and the Soviets have many troops in the north, so they are attacking it. I defend frontline provinces there until I think that it's pointless to do it and withdraw to a better, shorter defence line. Rinse and repeat. Most of the northern territory is worthless and the chance of a major breakthrough in the north is small, but the Soviets cover the whole frontline with their troops, thus reducing their available MP in the south!

Since I no longer have enough time to continue the Black Crusaders and I've lost motivation to do so, this AAR is now officially DEAD. I think that it's safe to say that I would have been able to win the war in 1944. To be honest it stopped being challenging and fun to me, especially when manual control of the whole army requires heavy micromanagement.

Sorry, guys. I hope you enjoyed it!

I half expected as much, seeing how much you've got on your plate already. it was a fun ride.