• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DanubianCossak

DaputinCozzak Specyal Snowflake
34 Badges
Nov 16, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
Part 1 - The Humble Beginnings

Zdravstvuyte tovarishchi, hello comrades! Blessings of Johan be upon you!

My name is Danubian and I will be your guide through this after action report. Today I have been volunteered (by a couple of NKVD Commissars in long leather coats - no, I'm not talking about dev-gods) to show all the bestestest achievements of our glorious Motherland, as we prepare for the inevitable clash with those-who-shant-be-named.

First lets start with some basics. This is the state of our Country in 1936 scenario, and I will show you the basic modifiers that we start with:

screenshot_4.png

screenshot_5.png

screenshot_6.png

Check out that shadowy noob looking the other way, away from us all dismissively. We'll show him.

As you can see we are a All-Union Communist Party state, Home of the Revolution, but also target of the Trotskyite plot (rebel scum). The All-Union commie is a pretty basic thing, nothing special there (we start with more or less the same stuff as other great powers), but Home of the Revolution is definitely a way more important thing, because of that construction malus. It basically means that everything we construct (industries, infrastructure etc) will take longer to complete. Since Soviet Union is a country that gets a "later" war start (compared to say, France or Poland *evil grin*) building up industry is the key element of our overall strategy. Thus this modifier is quite an unfortunate thing. However if "building empires was easy, Poland would into space" as we like to say in Eastern Europe, but I digress. We accept the challenge, the proletariat will just have to work harder.

And last but not least we have Lev Trotsky and his little plot. Now while this guy and his merry gang of rebel scum do provide an interesting alternative to good old uncle Joseph, personally I'm more of a traditionalist, so to say, so this little modifier is a pretty significant thing overall as it will dictate our opening moves. The plot must be purged, and our National Unity restored - if Soviet Union is to win The Great Patriotic War (optional: for added dramatic effect youtube "Farewell to Slavianka" as you read these last words).

Let's move on.

screenshot_7.png

Difficulty level: Regular. This means neither AI nor myself get any bonuses or penalties.
Ironman mode: off
Historical AI focuses: on. This is pretty much self explanatory. Basically the AI will follow a pre-determined path when it comes to national focuses, ideally, generating key war-related events close to when they happened in real life. (poor Poland)
Options: Nothing worth specifically mentioning there.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand,
We're moving, we're moving, keep up please.

Here we are in game.

1.) First stop, political stuff.

hoi4_38.png

hoi4_39.png

hoi4_40.png

hoi4_41.png

Here, we start off with 3 laws and a wooooooooooole bunch of empty spots for staff and advisors. If I was to compare this system to anything, I would say that its a lot like National Ideas and Idea Groups in EU4. Essentially each one of those empty slots carries bonuses; most of the time you have a (meaningful) choice to fill those spots with different laws, people and organizations, each of whom brings different benefits to your country. Some laws have benefits and penalties, and some are more situational than others. Picking the one that allows me to recruit the highest % of my population will also lead to a huge penalty to my industrial efforts, so these things have to be carefully studied and picked at right times. Most of everything costs around 150 political power so you'll be getting one every few months (depending on country you play and other stuff).

Some examples of choices (I wont go too much into details right now):

hoi4_42.png

hoi4_43.png

hoi4_44.png

2.) Military Stuff

hoi4_45.png

hoi4_46.png

hoi4_47.png

hoi4_49.png

As you can clearly see Soviet Union is (bloody) huge. It is also surrounded by many lands that can (should) be conqu- I'm sorry comrade commissar, liberated*, liberated is what I meant to say.

To our West we have traditional Russian clay in form of Poland and Romania, bordering what is known as Pribaltika. To the South we have potential liberationatus target in Persia and we neighbor the pesky Ottom-I mean Turkey (old habits die hard). (Never trust the Turk, always remember to garrison Turkish border, I won't be making that mistake twice). And last but not least we have Ruler of the East - Vladivostok and Primorye, where Japan lurks.

3.) Strategy and assessment.

My primary operational assumption is that history will unfold as expected by historical focuses being turned on. Essentially this means inevitable conflict with Germany, and responding to opportunities when they arise, should they arise (Poland, Finland, Baltic States).

With that in mind my primary focus is the Western, or European theater. Primary military build up shall be on what is eventually to become my shared border with Germany, with secondary build up on Finnish border, in preparation of liberation of Finland and splitting that force into sufficient presence required to defend Scandinavia should Germany break into Norway/Sweden and merging the rest with the primary front. And last but not least we have Caucasus. Turks are well known tricksters, so you never know whether they're gonna try to pull something funny. This border must be garrisoned (and possibly some additional airforce infrastructure must be built).

When it comes to secondary theater, basically we must build up sufficient presence to primarily contain Japanese aggression, and secondarily counter their power should we end up being at war. Managing this front is a dynamic thing. One must be careful not to divert too many units there, as the infrastructure is not exactly great, and reinforcing Far East while losing to Germany in the West is obviously a brilliant strategy. However it is also important to keep in mind that context might develop either way; Japan might end up losing to China, in which case you can send your additional armies to Yurop, or Japan might end up winning in China, which means you'll have to divert more resources to Asia. Covering this theater up to a standard of combined arms (meaning superior ariforce and mechanized and armored units) is strictly speaking not possible due to sheer vastness of this region and additional cost of developing infrastructure required to service all of that. Thus we must make up in attitude and aggressiveness that which we may lack in quality.

4.) Navy.

Since our country is a continuous homogeneous blob of land, navy is not our primary concern. So as that famous song says "but from taiga to British seas, Red Army is the strongest of them all" (optional: for added dramatic effect youtube "White Army Black Baron"). However, as soon as I can afford to, I should be building some carriers. War with Germany will be over some day, but that won't be the end of our struggle. *stares intensely at UK and US*

5.) Research

hoi4_50.png

hoi4_51.png

hoi4_52.png

hoi4_53.png

-From day one we will be researching land doctrines in order to collect as many bonuses as Stalinly possible.
-Since the core part of our strategy is to build up the industry (or as the English version of the Soviet anthem says "build up the land that we love"), anything that reduces the construction costs is Johan-sent.
-While it may not seem so at first, electronics is a super important part of the tree as it unlocks some research and military related stuff. But essentially these small research bonuses add up, and when you have 4 or 5 research slots working, the sheer amount of time saved is quite significant.

6.) Industry

hoi4_56.png

-Since I can only afford to research 1 industrial tech at the moment, I must be rational with my choice and go with construction bonus tech. However what I really need is the Synthetic Oil tree, as it will allow me to construct synthetic factories highlighted in the screenshot above. Basically oil and rubber are mostly highly restricting resources (you wont be producing hundreds of them), both being key for production of practically any specialized land gear, airplanes or ships (well this mostly requires oil). If I am to become a true super power, I must start producing these things ASAP. Note that each Synth Oil tech allows you +1 Synthetic Factory size in a state, and because I plan to put at least 2 levels in many Soviet Asian provinces (places where Germans will have hard time reaching them) I'm currently building my civilian factories with some room left in their states (forward planning FTW). Also note that with other industrial techs, the factory size limits in states will increase.

7.) Production

hoi4_57.png

hoi4_58.png

-As you can see I'm lacking rubber for my starting production since the day one. Which is why aircraft production will sadly have to wait. All of my navies have been diverted for deploying to Leningrad (in order to centralize my fleet location). And my main construction efforts are going into producing infantry gear required for developing new infantry divisions. You could argue that perhaps I went a bit too much with artillery production, but you can never have too much fire power. Saturation of the battlefield, that's what its all about. Ah Russia. I love you.

8.) Development and deployment

hoi4_60.png

-Basically it's simple. We can't afford to go fancy right now. Special resources we have at the moment are too limiting. So tanks and motorized units will have to wait. As a great man (or rather demi God) once said "build me an army!".
-Now when it comes to templates what's important to understand is that each division is comprised out of battalions (the 9 infantry helmets in the middle). However everything you add there adds to your combat width (you can see this stat in the far right). You don't want that to go too high. But also you have support battalions to the left, and these don't add to your template's width, so you can go crazy there, provided you can produce stuff that goes there.
-All of my units under development are set to be deployed to Kiev, and they are set to infinite production.

9.) National Focuses

hoi4_61.png

hoi4_62.png

hoi4_63.png

-Now at first sight this might look scary, and sure its a lot to take in. But it's actually really simple and straightforward. There are "give me stuff" lines and there are "let me claim stuff" lines. Basically everything to the middle leads to war, and everything to the left and to the right lets you do more stuff.
-Being evil as they are, Paradox dev-gods have created a noob trap. If you look at the "Finish the Five Year Plan" and follow it downward, you'll see "extra research slot". However in order to get that one you must take Collectivist Propaganda, which is not a bad thing in itself, but it disables Positive Heroism, which means you don't get Georgy Zhukov. You'll want Georgy Zhukov.
-However being Soviet Union, we can't simply do what the Western Capitalists get to do from the day one: improve their stuff; No, that would be too easy. You may be tempted to go and improve industry or infrastructure but then those damned Trotskyists might overthrow the dear old uncle Joseph, and we want uncle Joseph.

And thus there isn't really much choice here. We must purge the plotters and start rehabilitating our military.

Last edited:
Part Two 1936-1938 - Everything Belongs To Us - They Just Don't Get It Yet

1.) Reorganization and Great Purge

hoi4_64.png

-I have initiated a massive strategic redeployment of my armies, after picking units I wish to send to different places. They will all converge roughly in Kabardino-Balkar republic (in modern Russia) because what better place to go, right? From there I will group cavalry and mountain troops as Turkish border garrison; send a bunch of infantry supported by tanks to the border with Japan; and use the rest to strengthen my central front and garrison some important places.

2.) Central Front

hoi4_65.png

-48 divisions organized into a central front (divided by 2 means 24 units for 1 smaller front, just enough for generals to control, and remember, generals have much better stats than field marshals). These units will exercise until I make them into elite they must be. (optional: for additional dramatic effect youtube "VDV song")

3.) The plot thickens - I'm onto you!

hoi4_67.png

- Essentially trials have begun. My choices are between losing Kalinin, losing Khrushchev, losing 75 political power, or losing nothing but getting a civil war in the future. Obviously bye bye 75 points.

4.) Things are getting hot.

hoi4_68.png

- OK a lot of stuff is going there. Germany has retaken Rheinland; I have finished my first technology (and i will continue down this line); Spanish Civil War has started, and I'm about to send Soviet volunteers. Thanks to my army size my total volunteer size can be 5 units, so I have 5 light armor divisions under general Zhukov already on their way. When you need someone to save the day what do you do? That's right. You send Zhukov.

5.) No good choices here.

hoi4_69.png

hoi4_70.png

hoi4_71.png

- Ever wondered what it feels like when there are no good choices? Yeah. That's Soviet Union in 36'. I went with first option as I really want the armor bonuses.

hoi4_73.png

hoi4_74.png

hoi4_75.png

- And it doesn't end there. Srsly stop killing my people :(

6.) Spanish Civil War - As Cartman Would Say "Respect my authoriteh".

hoi4_72.png

hoi4_76.png

hoi4_77.png

hoi4_78.png

hoi4_79.png

hoi4_80.png

hoi4_81.png

hoi4_82.png

hoi4_83.png

hoi4_84.png

hoi4_85.png

- Result: utter Spanish Republican victory. Eternal glory for the Red Army. Zhukov celebrated back home.
- Essentially I kept units under my personal control. I used tanks as fast land capturing forces, bypassing the (slower) enemy presence and using my allied slower units (Republican infantry) to engage the enemy so that I can get around them, cut them off, encircle them and win the maneuver war. Its a (extremely) high risk and (extremely) high reward strategy (some of you might recognize this approach in a recent-ish war *cough Iraq cough*). Encircle and destroy should be the core of any strategy. Although you might want to be a bit more careful versus more serious players (specially those with tanks of their own).

7.) Time to Switch Gears

hoi4_86.png

hoi4_87.png

- Bye bye Civilian Economy, War Economy here I come!

8.) Progress update

hoi4_86.png

hoi4_87.png

hoi4_87.png

hoi4_88.png

hoi4_89.png

hoi4_92.png

hoi4_93.png

- When it comes to political changes, I have appointed a guy that reduces construction time (exactly what I need); and a guy that generates land experience - a currency that is used to modify division templates.
- When it comes to research i have finished the basic industrial stuff, and have moved on to adding some more support battalions.

9.) Near the end of 37'

hoi4_91.png

- Redeploying the reserve to the Far East. I don't want cavalry units facing Germany. And Japan is going aggro.

Last edited:
Part Three 1938-1942. - Fear Me.

1.) Status Update on National Focuses:

hoi4_92.png

hoi4_93.png

hoi4_94.png

hoi4_95.png

2.) Gearing up for War

hoi4_96.png

hoi4_97.png

3.) Talvisota won't happen to me.

hoi4_100.png

4.) It's on.

hoi4_101.png

- I signed Mol-Ribb pact. Sure. It's not a morally right thing to do. But then again, the more land I get before i go to war with Germany, less of a road I'll need to take to Berlin.

hoi4_102.png

hoi4_103.png

hoi4_103.png

hoi4_105.png

hoi4_104.png

- All your bases are belong to me now.

hoi4_108.png

hoi4_113.png

- Some people know not to anger the Dragon.

hoi4_110.png

- Some people still don't.

Helsinki or War.

hoi4_114.png

hoi4_115.png

- War it is then.

hoi4_116.png

hoi4_117.png

hoi4_118.png

hoi4_119.png

- They never had any chance.

5.) Germany Is Taking Too Long

hoi4_124.png

- The time has come for us to strike.

hoi4_126.png
hoi4_125.png

6.) And So It Begins

hoi4_128.png
hoi4_129.png

hoi4_131.png

- Our armies fight hard making many lighting fast attacks against the weakest Romanian front. Many of their divisions are surrounded cut off and destroyed. But they aren't giving up. The casualties in the south keep mounting up and the German troops arrive from the interior. Our offensive is almost halted.

hoi4_134.png

But then, completely unexpected, the armies of the First Soviet Front under command of Field Marshal Kliment Yefremovich Voroshilov make a brilliant tactical move encircling an entire German army group, just outside of Berlin. With their main defensive force annihilated, the defense of Berlin crumbles as endless columns of T-34 tanks and SU-122 tank destroyers enter the city. Soon after on the morning of 11th of July 1942. elements of the 8th NKVD border division with support of the 7th mechanized corps smash through the last desperate line of German defenses, soon after assaulting the very heart of Germany: the Reichstag.

1c46e3dbe4f8fb59f26b93ffd5ca7141f0e2fc43.jpg

hoi4_135.png
hoi4_137.png

- With Berlin in our hands, and Adolf nowhere to be found, the remaining German forces break down with many of their divisions falling into partial or full encirclement. Endless Soviet hordes now roam the German countryside on their way to the Italian and Vichy fronts. In the South our remaining Balkan fronts are reorganizing for the last thrust through Turkey toward the Caucasus, and in the far East Japanese that have earlier defeated China are now starting to crumble under joint pressure from Soviet and US forces.

Axis powers are almost completely defeated and victory will be ours.

Last edited:
Glad to see you're going historical and waiting for the Germans to finish mainland West Europe first. Soviet is kinda fun, but spamming starting INF is too strong as an early rush vs Germany, WJ POL then WJ GER and easy win.

What's up with France in Italy?

Edit: also, how can Italy take Switzerland without Germany throwing a hissyfit?

Does Germany have claims on Swiss lands to protect ethnic Germans, like they did in HOI: DH?

What's up with France in Italy?

Edit: also, how can Italy take Switzerland without Germany throwing a hissyfit?

Does Germany have claims on Swiss lands to protect ethnic Germans, like they did in HOI: DH?
Looking at the map, seeing that Switzerland hasn't been annexed I'm guessing they joined the allies and were subsequently occupied by Italy.

I'd assume that Britain likely landed en mass in Italy, overwhelming their coastal defenses and setting up shop there. Before France Capitulated to the Germans, (or after) Britian transferred a state or two to them and they moved to protect and hold.

And no, Germany does not have claims on the swiss.

So did the Allies get half of Germany's Empire just like that, or did you set up puppets?

But in the last picture it seems like France & co is liberated, while you are merely controlling Germany except Ruhr?

But in the last picture it seems like France & co is liberated, while you are merely controlling Germany except Ruhr?

Not 100% sure but i believe the moment the event fired, it transferred the German territories not held by me to UK (while the rest of countries went free). But i think after i clicked it, it all went to me. Or something like that?

You tell me.:p I don't have the game yet.;) (need to wait for next paycheck)