• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

50shadesofgreen

First Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2018
I remember advice here somewhere once was to save the game monthly on the 30/31st of the month rather than on the 1st. Reason being that some factor would otherwise not flow over onto a reload. IIRC it was possibly something to do with politics or diplomacy? I can't seem to locate any relevant previous thread, sorry.

Events.
Events work on a monthly basis.
You save at the end of the month (after a month without any crash) you have all events for that month "happened" if you load the game it will continue "normally".

You crash within a month the events still pending for that month will not run until next month after the reload thus you might get events delayed until next month.

Now lets say worse case you crash early next month again so some events hane not "happened" althoug they are allready delayed one month.
So they stack up for the next month.

Hence I usually reload the last months late save if I get a spontanous crash within a month so this doesnt happen.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Another good reason is that technological bonuses to IC (and perhaps more production categories) seem only to apply at month-start. Thus, if you load a save from March 2, you would expect to wait until April 1 to see an uptick due to the bonuses. Once I realized this, I did my best to make sure I saved on one of the last couple days of the month, so as to lose less productivity.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks j_k_k. I panicked there for a while because I didn't think I was aware of that one. I finally realised that I make a momentary law change which also spurs the engine to re-trigger the calculation (for production practicals also). That's a tip read off this board about a decade ago and use so instinctively all the time that I had forgotten I actually did it!

Reactions:
Thanks j_k_k. I panicked there for a while because I didn't think I was aware of that one. I finally realised that I make a momentary law change which also spurs the engine to re-trigger the calculation (for production practicals also). That's a tip read off this board about a decade ago and use so instinctively all the time that I had forgotten I actually did it!
That actually helped me, as I did not know you could just change laws and reset the calculation. It would be difficult in a case where one was short of $, but if one is not, might as well use some on it. It's not like there are that many ways to spend it, after a certain point.

• 1Like
Reactions:
TBH I take the spent cash back every now and then with the money "cheat". I don't regard that as actually cheating though, I'm just using the inbuilt engines to make their game work. Now I've somehow made myself sound like an fraudster!

It's surprising how many hidden and broken features with workarounds there are in this game that are tucked away in a decade of threads on here.

Reactions:
TBH I take the spent cash back every now and then with the money "cheat". I don't regard that as actually cheating though, I'm just using the inbuilt engines to make their game work. Now I've somehow made myself sound like an fraudster!

It's surprising how many hidden and broken features with workarounds there are in this game that are tucked away in a decade of threads on here.
I do that with territory. My theory is that if I'm willing to build infra for an ally, one I could easily just brush aside, they would be glad to have me do so. So I take ownership/control of whatever provinces I need in order to do it, making sure I don't screw them. I can always give them back when I am finished giving them a free new rail network.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sounds far more generous than my embezzlement scenario!

Out if curiosity, can you give an example of where do you use that particular trick?

You've got me wondering if I repossess a puppets territory, drop in one of my radars and give it back, will I benefit from the combat effects of that radar?

Good question. I've never tried dropping a radar in there. The most obvious example I can think of is when I reconquer Vichy's Levantine territories. If I want decent supply lines spreading out toward India, to Egypt, and to Saudi, that's one example. Another is Croatia, which so far as I can tell does nothing except mean less territory to guard. Okay, fine, then if it's safe I'll build you some infra through it, and during that time I'll stand guard; you can have it back when it's done.

• 1Like
Reactions:
True that. I'd say that the more puppets or minor allies one has, the more one might want to do this. For Germany, for example, if Bulgaria joins the Axis and Italy barges into Greece first, the supply line to attack Turkey is going to have to go through some rough patches--unless one borrows some of the land, builds infra, and then gives it back. Another good use for the console is to disband the stranded/confused 0 strength Soviet units that don't get home sometimes. I think it would also be okay to use it to make a way through the wall provinces, which is my term for the 10 infra places like Tan Tan and that other port on the Red Sea Egyptian coast, which are obviously there to keep the AI from going too far off the rez.

To me, it's not a cheat when it's used to get around limitations in the game mechanics or design. Also, there is zero reason it can't be used to help one's allies. Could a victorious GER not have given the Kola and Karelia and everything in between to its Finnish allies? (It would be crappy to give them all the dead space, but what if they get some good stuff?) Also, expeditionary forces don't work very historically, tempting GER to invade all its customary Axis minors. What about tag switching to give oneself historical quantities of minor ally units? Of course they are not going to be up to the majors' standards, but they'd still have their days. What about helping them, like giving Croatia enough turf to have an economy detectable without magnification? The game can get significantly better this way. And props to PDX (I live in Portland so it feels pretty funny to say that here) for at least letting us freelance on this stuff in our own games.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do you realize that province values are recalculated on the 2nd of every month? So, if you save and reload, your conquered IC, LS, MP, etc. will be lower than it was before you saved, and will return on the 2nd of the next month. Dissent also lowers these values, as does revolt risk. If you army was sitting in rich provinces then moves out, don't be surprised to lose a lot of that due to partisan activity.
Just found by chance the post that prompted my thread title.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ic-drops-wtf.518818/

• 1Like
Reactions: