BATTLETECH - After the unity logo the screen keeps black and the game never start

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BARBOSA (Aries)

Major
11 Badges
May 4, 2018
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Prison Architect
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
One line summary of your issue
After the unity logo the screen keeps black and the game never start

What platform are you running the game on?

Steam

What operating system do you use?
Windows 7 SP1
Which version of the game are you running?
What DLC do you have installed?
Flashpoint,
Urban Warfare,
Shadowhawk Pack

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
After the automatic download and install of 1.7 update on steam, i tried to start the game . Everything go as usual until unity logo fades. A white changing number appears on upper right corner of the screen and the game never starts, even though the mouse arrow change from windows standard to what is seen in the game.
Have you tried verifying your files?
Yes

Steps to reproduce the issue
Start the game and wait.

Attach DxDiag (PC), System Info log (Mac), or run sudo lshw -html > specs.html and uploaded specs.html (Linux)

Attach Output Log
Windows: BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\output_log.txt
Mac OS: Users >{name} > Library > Logs > Unity > Player.log
Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/Player.log

If the game crashed, please attach the crash file with the time stamp closest to the crash.
Windows: [Steam library folder]\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\DumpBox
OSX: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > steamapps > common > BattleTech > DumpBox
Linux: [Steam library folder]/steamapps/common/BATTLETECH/DumpBox

If a save game was loaded at the start of the game session, upload it. Please make sure to upload the save game with the timestamp closest to when you loaded it.
Windows:
Steam: [Steam installation folder]\userdata[SteamID]\637090\remote\C0\SGS1
GOG: 'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\50593543263669699\Storage\Shared\Files\C#\SGS#'
Vanilla:'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BattleTech\C#\SGS#'
OSX:
Steam: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > userdata > [SteamID] > 637090 > remote > C#> SGS#
GOG: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > GOG.com > Galaxy > Applications > 50593543263669699 > Storage > Shared > Files > C# > SGS#
Vanilla: Macintosh HD > Users > [username]> Library > Application Support > unity.Harebrained Schemes.BattleTech > C# > SGG#
Linux:
Steam: /home/.steam/steam/userdata/[steamID]/637090/remote/C#/SGS#
GOG: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/
Vanilla: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/

Attach screenshot / video

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    230,2 KB · Views: 27
  • DxDiag.txt
    33,3 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0
No problem or crash in that log file, unfortunately. If you delete that log and try the game again, does it make a new one? Or not get even that far?

If you revert to 1.6.x in the Steam Betas tab, does the game then start up okay?

It seems with 1.7 the log file has moved to:
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\output_log.txt

So can we see that please.

I have the same issue! Since updated to 1.7 i get a black screen with the FPS number on te right.
I have deinstallt an reinstalled the game with no positive result!
My System Windows 10 x64

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    16,5 KB · Views: 52
That 1.7 log looks like a corrupted or incomplete install.

When you go back to 1.7 run a Steam Verify operation against the game, does that find anything to fix?

Went back to 1.7 and ran a Steam Verify operation against the game, it didn´t find anything to fix, but the game still doesn´t work (same problem as before).

I have the EXACT same issue. Tried all the same stuff. Went back to 1.6, and the game loads, and plays fine.

No mods. No file alterations. I completely removed all steam files, re-installed steam and battletech with DLC flashpoint and urban warfare. Still nothing. Many others on reddit are saying the same thing.

Went back to 1.7 and ran a Steam Verify operation against the game, it didn´t find anything to fix, but the game still doesn´t work (same problem as before).
Please try a **clean** reinstall:

- Remove the game from Steam (uninstall)

- Manually delete all these files and folders, if still there:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BattleTech\

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\USER_ID\637090\
(first move the \remote\C#\SGS#\ folder elsewhere to keep your save games)

- Install the game again

- add steam.exe and BattleTech.exe to the Whitelist of your antivirus app, whatever it is

If you still get any problem, please send me a new dxdiag.txt and output_log.txt , thank you.

The same errors as before, I have no explanation why this is affecting you.

Do you have access to any other computer to do a test install of this game on? This is to check it is not an account issue or some other problem with your online profile for this game.

It worked in my wife PC. Here´s its dxdiag and output_log.
But i do need a solution for my PC. My wife´s PC its for work only.
Thanks.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    74 KB · Views: 35
  • output_log.txt
    72,7 KB · Views: 11
The big difference there is of course Win7 vs Win10 . However there must be something more to it, otherwise every Win7 user would get the same problem.

Are you at all planning to go to Win10 on this machine? If so I recommend a clean wipe-and-install rather than an in-place upgrade.

That aside, please install and run the free utility Speccy on the problem machine. Send its output to a text file and attach that here, thanks.

Not actually much running there. The only one I've seen get in the way of games is Avast, although your symptom with apparently corrupted installation is weird for that.

Certainly add BattleTech.exe to the exceptions in Avast.

I haven't come across GbpSv.exe before, but you may as well try unloading/disabling that too.

I have the exact same problem. The game used to run just fine in 1.7 untill last Week. I started to notice very bad performances after a Windows update which left my drivers untouched.

I updated my display and sound drivers but nothing changed. At that time i was able to load saved games but everything was unplayable due to high cpu usage of a system process.

After many tweaks to my system and a sfc /scannow (which repaired some integrity problems) my system is now running smoothly. Other games like Starcraft 2 and EU4 run perfectly.

I have checked file integrity with Steam several times and no errors were reported. I have made a clean uninstall following Edmond's guide twice. Now, everytime I launch the game, a crash happens just before playing the introduction video. I have emptied my bag of tricks and would really appreciate if a kind soul could help me resolve that issue. I suspect some DirectX problem due to the number of failed creations in the log file but I have no idea how to fix this.

I'm running on Windows 10 x64 with the latest NVidia driver.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    72,5 KB · Views: 51
  • output_log.txt
    297 KB · Views: 16
Interesting that all three users in this thread have the same video card 750, even though different errors. I wonder if the game now requires DirectX 11.1 or 11.2 support, not plain 11.0

In the nVidia Control Panel System Info, what do you all see for these lines?

DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Driver version: 335.23 Direct3D
API version: 11.1
Direct3D feature level: 11_0
If that last one is 11_0 I'll almost bet that is the the issue.