• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Kaiser Georg looks like a pretty weak character. I was a little confused by the Basileus though. In one you say intrigue was his best stat but there's several other lines where other stats are higher.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'll make sure all those drawings are hung in my personal fridge. Hopefully, I'll meet the children again and with time they get a proper respect for history and long walks under the scorching Egyptian sun.

Now I'll take a guess and say that one of the two living rulers is Basileus Innokentios, the excommunication and future revolt are hard things to come back from, and just the things that can dethrone a ruler without killing him. Too bad, he had some really good stats too.
I had Dr. Quincy review Basileus Innokentios' file. Count Innokentios passed away 10 November 1373 in his sleep at age 53.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Kaiser Georg looks like a pretty weak character. I was a little confused by the Basileus though. In one you say intrigue was his best stat but there's several other lines where other stats are higher.
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry for your confusion. That section's title was confusing (and I could not think of better). The section was not about what each leader was best at, but rather who was best at each skill. Overall, this was a fairly weak group. Kaiser Georg as a 8-6-7-4-11 Charismatic Negotiator is not horrible and the electors do not want great, merely competent and willing to let the vassals do whatever they want. Basileus Innokentios as a 4-8-18-9-14 Fortune Builder is a shining ray of hope in this group. The 9 intrigue, while not great, is better than the other four combined. While Queen Sybilla is only 9, ten points at age nine is below average (my last 10 year check of realm found a twenty-four point 9yo).
With your permission, may I use this section's new name for our four final checks (1375 . . . 1450). Thank you

• 1Like
Reactions:
With your permission, may I use this section's new name for our four final checks (1375 . . . 1450).
Thanks for the explanation! That makes much more sense, and I suppose the comprehension was partly a problem on my part. I'm good with the new name for the final checks!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the explanation! That makes much more sense, and I suppose the comprehension was partly a problem on my part. I'm good with the new name for the final checks!
Thank You, the new name better captures what I was trying to express. Intrigue for Big Five leaders has been a problem for most of the game.

• 2Like
Reactions:
1375 Preview
1 January 1375 Dyrrachion

Those AmazingAdventurousReaders, who have not been to Dyrrachion since 1350, view massive improvements especially around the port area. Large warehouses and wharves have been built. The duchy looks to be on the road to recovery after being looted by the Sicilians and traitors. There is even a new county flag on display (Anagastum, more details will be in Jelena 30yr update). Duchess Jelena (42yo) becomes the first leader since 1250 Doux Gjin (died 27Jan1250) to have a second tour. Gjin on his first tour was older than any other tour leader.

Jelena welcomes Captain @DensleyBlair and the AAReaders introducing them to her family. Her son, 21yo Count Dragos, has completed his studies (family tradition Elusive Shadow) and married Princess Leontia (36yo Charismatic Negotiator). They have made the Duchess, a grandmother, with the toddler (2yo Vukasin) that is currently pulling on the Captain's pants leg and yelling Ka, Ka. 7yo Mirjana volunteers to take Vukasin to meet @Kage265. Duchess Jelena then introduces her oldest child, 22yo Biljana, and her husband (20yo Midas Touched) Barghujin Ajai. Barghujin reminds Jelena so much of her beloved Chaghagan that she has made him her Sakellerios. When @Cora Giantkiller asks, Jelena says that her Aunt Dubravka had died in November 1369 and her father, Doux Dorotheos II of Epirus, in March 1373. She adds that her husband, 69yo Ghazan Ajai, is somewhere doing Mystikos work. Duchess Jelena's plan is for Barghujin and Biljana to accompany her with an emphasis on trade deals. Mirjana would accompany the group until they reach Constantinople where she would continue her studies with Basileus Eustathios II.

@DensleyBlair comes to Senior Admiral @Bullfilter and says that he is worried about Duchess Jelena. She has always been shy but she seems to be more withdrawn. While she is the military, spiritual and administrative leader of the Duchy, her son and daughter-in-law are handling many of the festive occasions. Captain Blair adds that he thinks either her husband or the Anagastum campaign may be the root. @Bullfilter advises @DensleyBlair to keep a close eye on her and maybe assign the WayBack's Weapons Officier, @Macavity116, as her personal bodyguard. @Bullfilter adds that when the Captain returns in 1379 for Jelena's Thirty Years of Reign to bring Dr. Hartley or Dr. Crane to talk to her.

1375 Top Five Religions:

Catholic 755 counties up 6. Eight rulers of top twenty-one realms. The Pope leads from the Nogent Bishopric in Chartres, France.​
Orthodox 363 counties up 9. Three rulers of top twenty-one realms.​
Sunni 221 counties down 22. Seven rulers of top twenty-one realms.​
Hindu 125 counties no change. No rulers of top twenty-one realms.​
Buddhist 100 counties down 2. Two rulers of top twenty-one realms.​
This quarter century has been unusual as the Top Five lost more counties than they gained and one Top Twenty-One Realm is ruled by a follower of a non Top Five Religion.​
1375 Top Twenty-One Realms with an Orthodox Ruler:

#15 101 Galicia-Vohynia Kingdom (King Nikita (Rurikid))​
#17t 95 Chernigov Kingdom (Queen Verkhoslava (Rurikid), granddaughter of Doux Alek and Princess Georgia. She is possessed and married to an Agai.)​
#17t 95 Tartaria Empire
1375 Top Twenty-One Realms with a Buddhist Ruler:

#6 130 Kham Kingdom
#8 128 Orissa Kingdom
1375 Top Twenty-One Realm with a Miaphysite Ruler:

#12 107 Sweden Kingdom
1375's DropOut:

England drops out of Top Fifty losing 143 holdings to only 28 holdings in 7 counties. The seven counties are Devon and six in western France. England's Rulership Timeline for the 14th century's third quarter:​
1 November 1349 8yo Sybilla de Cognac is placed on England's throne replacing her mother, Queen Anne.​
10 July 1352 11yo Queen Sybilla is conquered by claimant 34yo Richard de Cognac.​
20 September 1364 46yo King Richard II is replaced by his 27yo daughter Emma de Cognac.​
22 May 1370 33yo Queen Emma died a maimed cripple. Her 15yo German son Günther von Nürnberg inherited England.​
England is currently fighting a defensive war:​
23 February 1373 Duke Gregory of Bourbon (Ireland Kingdom) declared a De Jure War for La Marche County. (Anne Howe gives Duke Gregory a three point advantage.) That is a German King of England fighting an Irish Lord for French clay.​
1375 Questions:

England answered three questions. They dropped out. England has three living former monarchs, Queen Anne, Queen Sybilla and King Günther's grandfather King Richard II. England now has a German king and is located primarily in France. The two remaining questions are who is the second living 1350 Big Five ruler and which realm is the newcomer (either Sunni or Catholic).​
NEXT: We will travel to 1375's #5 and meet its newcomer.

Thank you for reading and commenting.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Senior Admiral @Bullfilter
Oh, a promotion! :cool:
@Bullfilter advises @DensleyBlair to keep a close eye on her and maybe assign the WayBack's Weapons Officier, @Macavity116, as her personal bodyguard. @Bullfilter adds that when the Captain returns in 1379 for Jelena's Thirty Years of Reign to bring Dr. Hartley or Dr. Crane to talk to her.
Wise advice, I’m sure.
England drops out of Top Fifty losing 143 holdings to only 28 holdings in 7 counties. The seven counties are Devon and six in western France.
Well, that’s a takedown for sure. Which realm owns the bulk of England at that point?

• 2Like
Reactions:
1375 Top Twenty-One Realm with a Miaphysite Ruler:

#12 107 Sweden Kingdom
Wow, the Miaphysites are a long ways from their stomping grounds! That seems like an interesting story there.

23 February 1373 Duke Gregory of Bourbon (Ireland Kingdom) declared a De Jure War for La Marche County. (Anne Howe gives Duke Gregory a three point advantage.) That is a German King of England fighting an Irish Lord for French clay.
I feel so bad for England. Maybe they can make a comeback before the very end, but I'm not confident of that.

I'm curious to see who the newcomer will be! I'm afraid I can't make a guess, so I'll just have to be patient.

I'll also be curious to see which realm and religion correspond to the top-twenty realms but not in the top-five religions. I would think the Shia are toast after losing Egypt to Crusades, so maybe a pagan?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh, a promotion! :cool:

Wise advice, I’m sure.

Well, that’s a takedown for sure. Which realm owns the bulk of England at that point?
Thank you for commenting. You were the first captain of the 1225 tour (because I did not know what I was doing in 1200) and until @DensleyBlair, the only captain with two tours. There is one senior to you at the Emerald Institute. The test pilot of the WayBack and the captain of the scrapped 1200 flight is the head of the pilots group and close friends with the Director but sidelined with health problems (Alan Shepard to your John Glenn). Do you recognize Dr. Hartley and Dr. Crane?

England's biggest landowner is the group known as the Victual Brothers. The Victual Brothers are a mercenary band headed by a Prussian and currently #7. How mercs took over is a question best answered by someone more skilled with CK mechanics like the WayBack's Intelligence Officer, @alscon. My best guess is that England hired the Victual Brothers, ran out of money and the mercs rebelled. They own French clay as well as English clay.

• 1Like
Reactions:
England probably wouldn’t complain too much about being taken over by a band of marauding victualers…

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wow, the Miaphysites are a long ways from their stomping grounds! That seems like an interesting story there.

I feel so bad for England. Maybe they can make a comeback before the very end, but I'm not confident of that.

I'm curious to see who the newcomer will be! I'm afraid I can't make a guess, so I'll just have to be patient.

I'll also be curious to see which realm and religion correspond to the top-twenty realms but not in the top-five religions. I would think the Shia are toast after losing Egypt to Crusades, so maybe a pagan?
There is a Miaphysite secret society around. Duchesses Milka and Jelena are secretly Miaphysite as well as Basileus Innokentios (which may be why he is excommunicated). Within the last fifty years, the Monophysites had reduced the Miaphysite to a heresy before the Miaphysites had reclaimed the top spot among the Coptics. Sweden and the Miaphysites are the big country with a small religion. I have not seen Shia or Ibadi in this start. The only Islamists besides Sunni that I have seen are Sunni heresies Yazidi and Zikri.

The only ways that I see for an English rebound are marrying a bigger power or someone larger claiming or usurping England's title. The Plantagenets still rule in Ireland and are #10. I wonder if they still have any claim to the kingdom title.

• 1Like
Reactions:
England probably wouldn’t complain too much about being taken over by a band of marauding victualers…
Thank you for replying. Germanic Tribes, Romans, Vikings, Normans, Victual Brothers. England probably has a sign on the shore "Welcome Raiders".

• 3Like
Reactions:
@Bullfilter advises @DensleyBlair to keep a close eye on her and maybe assign the WayBack's Weapons Officier, @Macavity116, as her personal bodyguard.
Wow, I'm keeping busy. Glad to see my old military training is good for something other than writing battle scenes with way too much jargon.

That is a German King of England fighting an Irish Lord for French clay.
Craziness like this is why I'm so glad I discovered Crusader Kings. The Irish curse of "May you have an interesting life" is always in full effect.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wow, I'm keeping busy. Glad to see my old military training is good for something other than writing battle scenes with way too much jargon.

Craziness like this is why I'm so glad I discovered Crusader Kings. The Irish curse of "May you have an interesting life" is always in full effect.
Thank you for replying. @Bullfilter and @DensleyBlair suspect that the Duchess may be suffering from PTSD. She did lead troops in the Syria Crusade and the 'liberation' of Anagastum.
I go with O'Toole's law: Murphy was an optimist. Brother O'Toole seems to particularly love the English kingdom in my games.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have not seen Shia or Ibadi in this start.
I forgot you had a later start, so I suppose they wouldn't be important anymore. Thanks for clarifying on Sweden's religion!

• 1Like
Reactions:
No Shia but Zikri, a truly interesting alternative universe. What are any interesting Zikri rulers/characters/realms in the next point in time if I may ask?

• 2Like
Reactions:
England's biggest landowner is the group known as the Victual Brothers. The Victual Brothers are a mercenary band headed by a Prussian and currently #7. How mercs took over is a question best answered by someone more skilled with CK mechanics like the WayBack's Intelligence Officer, @alscon. My best guess is that England hired the Victual Brothers, ran out of money and the mercs rebelled. They own French clay as well as English clay.
That's indeed the reason. If mercs are underpaid, they can either leave, offer their services to the enemy or claim their pay in land by declaring an invasion. They don't hire any more troops, but if the mercs were the bulk of your forces, as a bankrupt realm you'll have trouble defeating them...
As the kingdom of England only holds Devon, which is de-jure Wales, the mercs declared an invasion of England. A mercenary realm is quite powerful as they can raise themselves for a fraction of their cost, but their expansion is limited by being unable to claim another title if they don't cheese a bit.

That and those religious shenanigans clearly add some more spice to the world.

Reactions:
No Shia but Zikri, a truly interesting alternative universe. What are any interesting Zikri rulers/characters/realms in the next point in time if I may ask?
Thank you for replying. My usual answer is that I will check when I next fire game (up to June 1399). This time, I have a small piece of info handy and will check for additional. On our 1375 check, Anushirvan is leading a Zikri uprising in Dihistan county (de jure Dihistan duchy in Daylam kingdom) against the Caliph.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's indeed the reason. If mercs are underpaid, they can either leave, offer their services to the enemy or claim their pay in land by declaring an invasion. They don't hire any more troops, but if the mercs were the bulk of your forces, as a bankrupt realm you'll have trouble defeating them...
As the kingdom of England only holds Devon, which is de-jure Wales, the mercs declared an invasion of England. A mercenary realm is quite powerful as they can raise themselves for a fraction of their cost, but their expansion is limited by being unable to claim another title if they don't cheese a bit.

That and those religious shenanigans clearly add some more spice to the world.
Thank you for your help Intelligence Officer @alscon. The Victual Brothers also gained some French clay. I do not know if this land had been de jure shifted to the Kingdom of England. By 1399, England is devolving into chaos. The Mercs are losing ground, the Irish are gaining and independent counties are arising.

• 1Like
Reactions: