Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thousands. I'm a firm believer in games as a medium of the future and also a proponent of using narratives to evoke emotions. But I've yet to play a game which has made me cry. So there's lots of areas left for games to explore.

Hopefully Paradox can walk down that path soon.

You could have someone punch you in the nose while you're playing EU3. That might work :rofl:

Serious question: Why did you guys sign on as the publisher for this game?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin_vs._Martians

Hehe

What bank do you use? Your account and routing number?

But I've yet to play a game which has made me cry.

try planescape torment. chances are you won't actually cry but there is a certain moment near the end of the game that will definitely move you, if not bring a tear to your eye. beware thought, it is older than EU1 = clunky graphics (unless you use that old crt i saw in the 1.4 video).

or try playing eu III as burgundy while england inherits france and castille. if that does not make you cry nothing will.

+1 for Planescape Torment. Chrono Cross also made me feel quite sad at one point in the game.

Though stirring this kind of emotions requires a heavily scripted scenario and extensive character development. Maybe a "battlescenario" for CK 2 will do the trick? :p

try planescape torment. chances are you won't actually cry but there is a certain moment near the end of the game that will definitely move you, if not bring a tear to your eye. beware thought, it is older than EU1 = clunky graphics (unless you use that old crt i saw in the 1.4 video).

or try playing eu III as burgundy while england inherits france and castille. if that does not make you cry nothing will.

Although I hate wondering off-topic, I must agree about Torment. I never played game with better done story and the guy who would make it into a movie would make some serious money...
The only problem is, that it would most likely be Uwe :wacko:

cutekittenbabyducks.jpg

Is this better? (hey it's a question! :p)

Yes thanks. Now I can go to sleep and dream about fluffy things.

Yeah, there are surely some (Soloplayer) RPGs out there which get quite emotional. From today's games I'd give Heavy Rain a try, this amazing game offers more than just 1 option to let your tears come through. ;)

Polemic question:
Have any of you guys played the new CnC4? What are your thoughts on it? (I personally think it was a hard fail)

I and my friends make up these question scenario's all the time... (usually nastier than this one though)

You have to do one of the following things; what do you (hypothetically) choose, and why?

- Take acid, and spend the whole day together with a person you really dislike

- Shoot heroin (one time)

Questions for (almost) everyone (I would wish for personal answers/opinions, rather than company statements)!

- Frederik:
1. Having seen the progress done for Victoria 2, considering the time era, and taking all else into account, do you still believe the game will not be able to make a profit?

2. Imagining you were approached by Firaxis (I'd say Sid Meier, but apparently he barely has any true guidance in game development anymore), for a joint-project between Firaxis and Paradox to develop Colonization 2 (For reality's sake, let's say Paradox's programming team would be hired and integrated into the Firaxis development team), and published under Paradox Interactive brand itself. Would you consider such a move (As CEO) or do you think the design philosophies behind both programming teams would be imcompatible?

3. Can you give us a run down at how you became CEO of Paradox Interactive? (If I'm forced to choose a time-line go from college graduation to present-time, but change it at will.)

4. Would you consider expanding the programing team (Thus raising the costs of maintaining the company), using the company's current solid financial situation, if you wished to embark on more ambitious titles?

- Johan:
1. Do you consider that you and your team would have the capability (Given the current situation at the company), in resources (time, financial, etc), and ideas and design philosophy themselves (How to develop and mold the game into something playable, accessible and enjoyable) to develop a game which, similarily to Civilization, comprised the time-line, generically detailed, from the Pre-Historic or Classical Ages to the Modern or Future Ages (In our own World Map or on randomized maps)?

2. Likewise, I would suppose you have seen the games "Distant Worlds", a Real-Time Strategy in space (Original, since usually space games are turn-based) which has been drawing comparisons as a "Victoria in Space" (Due to its large complexity and the presence of "Private Enterprise"). Don't you think your team could develop a RTS-game in space, (using the experience and originality most of your new titles had when made and finally "jumping" from the world all your games centered on) that would be successful comercially (taking into account that the "Space" theme is far more popular and attractive than the Victorian Age to ordinary video game players)?

3. Do you think an eventual sequel of CK (Taking also into account the popularity of the middle-ages in the video game world), has the potential to rival EU 3 in popularity (If not in comercial success)?

4. If you had no financial and time constraints (Think, something like Valve), what would be the game you would be most eager to develop (Or expand/upgrade)?

- Susana:
1. By what I could garner, Paradox seems to be having a bigger share and popularity in the European and North American markets, which coincidentially are the biggest. Likewise, pushes have apparently begun in Russia, by connections with Russian companies, all with the supposed aim of enhancing the Paradox brand in Russia. Do you think Paradox can also manage to enter and raise its visibility and compete in the important Far Eastern markets (China, Japan, S. Korea), phreaps by attempting similar connections with Asian developers or developping games on popular Far-Eastern themes and ages with it's design philopsophy, or do you think Paradox would not be able to gain enough visibility and popularity to make such marketing pushes into Asia worth it (Either by political issues, strong competition, lack of contacts and awareness about the Asian gaming world, etc)?

- Shams:

Regarding your previous question: sales data and figures are some of the most closely guarded secrets in the gaming industry.

Since I have no idea: Why? Is it because you are afraid if your sales values are good other companies might try to copy your game/style/genre? Is it because if the sales are low compared to the budget you are afraid people with laugh and you would lose connections/publicity/the best spots at gaming presentations?

Thanks! :D

I think I already know the answer to this, but since you're taking questions, and it's always been a dream of mine to do... you never know.

If I had a very detailed script, design and pseudo code for let's say HOI4... would you guys be willing to work with me?

I'll work for free!

What is the general feeling about EU Rome at Paradox? Judging by the relative inactivity on the Rome forum and general comments, it's suggested that Rome is a fairly weak title. Do you feel that you achieved your goals with Rome?

By the way, I actually love Rome, so this isn't a dig at the game or yourselves! :)

Lots of the people at the team love Rome and want to make expansions or sequels to it in the future.

New fun questions! :)

1. What are your favourite bar(s) in Stockholm?
2. Are you planing on making more Pdox T-Shirts etc (my old ones are getting.. small)?
3. If no to 2., please?

/F

1) I don't want to give out my special place for relaxing, but I like a beer or two after work at Imperiet.
2) I hope so :)