• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pi-Low dancing a jitter on the roof of the Imperial Palace...

"WE GOT FEEDBACK, WE GOT FEEDBACK, WE GOT FEEDBACK.... UUUMMH, it smells of tender flesh around here. I'm hungry! Where's that rOver guy gone?:D

Last edited:
Peter, any chance we could have the next Hour of Power on this thread soon? To be perfectly honest, I lost track of the time we played last week and I don't know how long we played... So I'll post last game's AAR after you write it.

Plus it's always very funny and gives us an accurate analysis of the situation...:D

Last edited:
1583-1606

The Emperor his puppet, the Shogun his unwilling tool, he sits fuming in his dark pits of Kyushu and ponders the future. His enemies are united and his ally, though strengthened now, is still weak - and has betrayed him. He has fed Karmulek, aye, with the left hand, and Karmulek grows ever greedier. Soon, the greedy Karmulek will no doubt want to be fed with the right hand, as well. And he broods - and remembers. From the depths of his memory rises a vision of what was in the days when the world was young.

Melkor, King of the World, following the darkening of the Trees of Light, had obtained the Silmarils and a great store of gems, rightfully his, that the Noldor had long denied him. Had they forgotten that only by his craft and learning had they grown wise beyond their lesser brethren? Were they so lacking in gratitude, that they would not render unto Melkor, what was his? Apparently so, and thus Melkor had been forced to act, and he had used Ungoliant the Unlight as his ally and unwitting tool, yet having greatly rewarded her for her efforts with the store of gems, she had demanded the Silmarils too, her lust unsated, saying: "With one hand thou givest. With the left only. Open thy right hand." And great Melkor pointed out, reasonably, "Nay! Thou hast done thy due. For with my power that I put into thee thy work was accomplished. I need thee no more. These things thou shalt never have, nor see. I name them unto myself for ever." And she had risen then, grown terrible in the power given her by Melkor, and turned on him and enmeshed him in a web of clinging throngs to strangle him, and Melkor sent forth a terrible cry, and the mountains shook and the earth trembled, and rocks were torn asunder. And from the ruins of Angband, from the deepest vaults, unexplored by the Valar in their assault, the Valaraukar issued forth and to the aid of Melkor, and Gothmog, their Lord, the High-Captain of Angband, led them as they assailed Ungoliant.

Those times are long past and will not return until great Melkor returns from his prison beyond the walls of the world, in the Timeless Void, as he will in his time, come the day. But he wonders: Would Karmulek be another Ungoliant? Has Karmulek outlived his usefulness? Treachery or folly, which of these motivated Karmulek in their latest dealings? Regretfully he concludes that he has let his kind nature deceive himself, once again. When taken together, all indications point towards treachery.

He has no fellow Valaraukar, and no troll-guard either, but none is needed. With a bodyguard of a score of his mightiest Sohei, he pays Karmulek a visit of state to discuss their alliance. Karmulek, fawning as always, bids him welcome, and they repair to the map room alone. Does Karmulek know in his treacherous soul, what is to come?

Perhaps he does, for even as he begins to denounce Karmulek for his actions, Karmulek attacks with two jagged star-swords, deadly cores of ice to quench the fire of the Lord of Balrogs. Impressive indeed. He had not thought Karmulek capable of such foresight. Is it possible that Karmulek has, in fact, been in collusion with Elderan, for such would seem a ploy worthy of his name? No matter. What might have sufficed against a lesser Maiar will not suffice against Gothmog. Leaping aside, his fire flares and his shadow spreads, drenching the room in darkness, engulfing even the light of his own fire. As Karmulek staggers, unseeingly, Gothmog takes a step back, and draws his black axe. The Valaraukar were never deceived by darkness, as were so many lesser beings. They chose it of their free will, when the world was young, and they gloried in the tutelage of the greatest of the Valar, powerful Melkor, the first giver of gifts. Meanwhile, Karmulek, who once aspired to deity-hood, has managed to use his nearly forgotten blessed arts to banish a small patch of darkness, allowing him to block the first of several strikes of the black axe, and even to launch a furious counterattack. Yet unable to see his opponent, most of the strikes hit naught but air or furniture, or are deflected by careful blows by the black axe, except for the few that tear deep gaping wounds in the walls of stone.

Yet it avails Karmulek not, for though he is a mighty warrior, Gothmog is mightier still. As his heat begins melting the stone walls of the room, the ceiling and floor begin losing coherence as well. Stamping a mighty foot to the ground, Gothmog sets the floor oscillating madly up and down, causing Karmulek to lose his footing for one fateful moment. Stricken of his hands by the black axe, a second blow splits his chest, and he falls before Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs, High-Captain of Angband, Lord of Nippon, Ruler of Men, his swords discarded with his hands. As he begins dissipating the power of Karmulek, that he may never return save by a greater force, the traitor sends out a last beseeching cry to another Eldar, promising everything in return for aid. Yet no aid is forthcoming.

With Karmulek dealt with, he leaves the room and collects the remnants of his bodyguard. Though they lost four of their number, they managed to halt the ten-score armsmen that tried to come to their master's aid. Leaving a trail of fire in his wake he leaves Hanoi behind and returns to Kyushu.

Yet now that Karmulek is gone, certain actions must be taken. Annexing the Chinese lands, that he had for so long left for Karmulek is a foregone conclusion, as is the continued colonisation of Siberia, and the building of fortresses in the corridor. He will fortify the corridor such than any assault down it will be an insane venture, and thus guard his vulnerable back door.

And now Karmulek's lands lie ripe for the taking, yet they are not so rich that he should wager it all in attempting to swallow too much. Rather, he thinks, it is time for diplomacy. With Karmulek gone, will Pi-Low the Lapdog remain faithfully at Elderan's feet? He has been ill treated by Elderan in their dealings, after all, with Elderan gaining the choiciest parts of India and doing but little in their mutual struggles, and there never was any bone of contention between Pi-Low and Gothmog, but the needs of Karmulek, now no longer relevant.

And he contacts Pi-Low, and Pi-Low is receptive indeed. Rather than carping about his needs, Pi-Low is willing to discuss the division of Dai Viet in a spirit of mutual understanding. If Pi-Low is to be his new neighbour, then Gothmog, the giver of gifts, desires but one thing, easy to arrange: A defensible border. As his border with Karmulek was the river pearl, so, he suggests, his border with Pi-Low will be the river Mekong, which divides Dai Viet. Let the ten provinces north and east of the river belong to Gothmog - and the sixteen south and west to Pi-Low. But Pi-Low implores Gothmog to forego his claims on the provinces south of Tanh Noah - Da Nang, Da Lat, and the Mekong Delta, for they are very rich, and with an ever more rapacious Elderan on his western Border, he is in need of riches. Moved by this plea, he agrees to Pi-Low's suggestion. He, Gothmog will claim what is North and East of the river Mekong, but only as far south as Tanh Noah, leaving the Spice and the Chinaware in the South for Pi-Low, thus only claiming seven out of the twenty-six provinces, the rest shall go to Pi-Low, who may thus finally begin to gain stature.

Assuming that Pi-Low will be as faithful in his dealings with himself, as he has been with Elderan in the past, he begins planning his next moves. The Shogun, unwitting tool that he is, is a mighty soldier and a great statesmen. Noticing that the Christian congregations are the vanguard of the European powers, far in the west, spies, infidels, heretics all, he proclaims an anti-christian edict, and Gothmog revels in the chaos caused as the insidious churches are shut. Then the great Toyotomi Hideyoshi decides, all by himself, in 1592, to invade Korea, an act long overdue. And Korea is overrun in a mere five months. An unfortunate mistranslation of orders causes the peace envoy to accept a mere 173d for peace, rather than the vassalisation of Korea, and to avoid losing face, Toyotomi cannot publicly admit that this was not the outcome he desired, and thus the outcome sticks. Though annoyed at the outcome of the war, Gothmog laughs at the chaos and consternation in the Shogunate, as the various factions realign themselves, following such a blunder.

And finally in 1594, the Manchurian rump-state is annexed, leaving the Northern border secure. With an expanding and possible friendly Pi-Low to the south, and no enemies but Dai Viet and Korea remaining, it is time to consolidate - and to combat some of the many Chinese and Manchurian rebels.

As Pi-Low begins conquering his parts of Dai-Viet, so, perhaps, should he, to show solidarity, and to enforce the agreement. In 1602 the armies are sent into Dai Viet, and when they leave in 1604, it is with Sichuan Pendi, Yunnan, and Wenshan under Nipponese control. Meanwhile, the Shogun has finally, sixty years after the fact, mustered the support to reduce the losing Daimyo, or rather, their successors, in stature. Chosokabe, Uesugi, and Oda, are all reduced in power, strengthening the Shogunate. Only Date comes up with a bribe large enough to stay the hand of the Shogun, as a few warships and an experienced explorer are given into the Shogun's command.

And what has Elderan been up to, he wonders? Apart from continuing his conquest of the Uzbekh Kaganate, and the annexation of Atjeh, the answer comes a thunderbolt from a clear sky. He has been invading the richest parts of Dai Viet claimed by Pi-Low, and take ownership of them shortly before Pi-Low's armies can arrive to avert disaster. In 1606, Elderan, not content with growing huge in the west, snatches the richest parts of his ally's dinner, Bangkok, Cambodia, and Khmer, thus gaining access to the master weaponsmiths of Khmer, whose arts are much advanced. Will the greedy Elderan also invade nearby Annam and will he again leave his ally the poorest bits, as he did in India? Will nothing satiate his lust for distant conquests? Will even Pi-Low stand for such an aggravating insult? Many questions, yet few answers. Perhaps, perhaps not.

Yet whatever happens, chaos is sure to prevail. And that is as it should be.

-----------------------------------
OOC: Actually, Eochaid, I prefer delaying the very objective Hour of Power updates till the players have had their time to post their subjective reports (gives me more basis for slander, than when I have to guess yours and Wyvern's intentions). :D

Might I additionally suggest that you and Wyvern add dates to the subject of your updates (such as "1583-1606" for this Monday's session). It does, I suspect, make it somewhat easier to follow the timelines :)

Last edited:
1583-1606

Pi-Low had always been despised by the other Maïars, for he had no known ability. So they just called him Pi-Low, not even bothering to give him his proper rank.

Yet Pi-Low was in one way very powerful indeed. His strenght was not in his hand-to-hand ability, like it was for Gothmog. He did not enjoy showing off his power in an useless way like Elderan did, always creating thunder storms and enjoying lightning. No. Pi-Low was thought to be a sleeper... while he was a dreamer.

He was the Lord of the Second World, as the elves called the dreamworld. While asleep he could foresee many things, visit many men's dreams and learn much... Few things were unheard of him, much he could whisper to sleeping ears. While Melkor had been fond of Pi-Low because he kept corrupting the Elves and the Men, he'd never put him in the spotlight. "The Lazy" was the respectful nickname Melkor had given him, but the others had mistook it for contempt.

And while many Eldars had fought and died during the Fifth Age, he'd stayed in the Second World, clueing people what to do, manipulating and deceiving. Zoryan hadn't even noticed his presence in his dreams. And no one could suspect the role he'd played in the imprisonment of the other Eldars...

The Monsoon had started early this year. The streets of Hanoï were flooded, and people were celebating this after a few years of dryness... That unusual dryness was due to the Eldar war, but that they could not know.

Karmulek was standing in his map room with Gothmog. From the unnatural heat in the room, one could tell the Lord of the Balrogs was in no good mood. After a mere five heartbeats, Karmulek attacked Gothmog with two jagged star-swords, trying to catch the Maïar by surprise. And the duel proved very impressive indeed. Finally Karmulek was defeated... and Gothmog left the room.

Minutes passed slowly, and the room was silent like a tomb. And a tomb it was because here had died Karmulek the Slayer and many of his followers. Because of the fury of Gothmog, no one was left to see Pi-Low come out of the shadow. During the fight he'd remained silent, enjoying what he was witnessing. And the pleas for help from Karmulek had warmed his heart.

Karmulek had always been a fool and a rogue. Yet he knew he didn't stand a chance against Gothmog... Well he knew it until a dream of Power and Glory he made a few nights before. A dream that had told him that he was mighty enough to kill Gothmog. A dream that had told him that rewarding Gothmog for his assistance against Mysore and Gujarat was not necessary.

When he took the flight of steps just outside the map room, Pi-Low had a small laugh under his breath... Dreams could sometimes be deceitful.

Pi-Low awoke from his little nap. A mere ten minutes in his opinion, but a full two years in human time... He was feeling very gay today... All had been for the best those last twenty seven years. The Mysoran Empire was stronger than ever, mighty fortresses protecting his borders and nevralgic cities. A new fleet had been created out and armies were guarding the country. More people were converting to the Faith.

On the Eastern border, he'd started tearing Daï Viet apart and had reached an agreement with Gothmog on how they would plit it. Elderan however had proved less conciliant. Depiste Pi-Low's many gentle pleas for Elderan not to annex any Daï Viet province, he'd snatched the richest for himself. Well what was done could not be undone... Pi-Low would have to accept this. He could not afford to anger his powerful ally.

Somewhere in the Desert, a dog was barking. It had had nightmares lately and needed to unleash its fear.

Ahmed ibn-Farid woke up sweating in his bed. He got to his feeet and walked to the balcony to take a breath of fresh air. The heat in Oman was terrible this year, and he found it difficult to fell asleep. And he was reluctant to go back to his bed because of the odd feeling of annoyance he could feel each time he slept.

Last edited:
Very nice, Eochaid, and Pi-Low is truly foresighted. 1610? That's four years into next sessions play, if I am not mistaken :D

Oops! One moment please. Eochaid edits his previous post and takes care of that small problem. Well I did tell you I'd lost track of time!:D

And then there were three.

So Gothog thought he could do without poor weak Karmulak, Elderan really had no sympathy for the stricken Eldar hearing his pitiful cry for help ringing out across the ether. His fate had been inevitable these last decades, existing only at the sufferance of Gothmog Elderan had delighted at his fall.

The increased power this gave Gothmog however did concern Elderan greatly, already argueably the richest of the Eldars now he would grow even stronger incorporating the most wealthy northern provinces of Dai Viet along with the extremely rich remnants of China. Truly Gothmog was to be feared, Elderan couldn’t even pretend to himself any more that he was the ascendant one amongst the Eldars.

Pi-Low had predictably been keen to move in on Dai Viet and his belligerant attitude towards Elderan also establishing a base in the region was starting to get annoying. Did Pi-Low really think he could stand in the way of Elderan’s wishes? Dai Viet is mine shouted Pi-Low and Elderan’s anger simmered as he watched the rotund little Eldar caper about basking in the success of his trickery over Karmulak. Oh he thought himself so clever did Pi-Low yet didn’t even realise that Elderan had bested him in all things that mattered, why for wont of a single province he had sold the Siberian corridor to Elderan, the deal still brought a smile to Elderan’s face whenever he thought about it.

“Pi-Low, you take Malacca, I’ll take Atjeh quickly whilst they’ve broken free from Dai Viet.”

“No I want Atjeh as well” shouted Pi-Low.

“Hey come on a base would be useful down there for me!”

“I’ll give you my maps of Siberia if I can have Atjeh.”

“Really? Great it’s a deal.”

He hadn’t even had to think two seconds on that one. All of Siberia open to colonisation and now completely barred to Pi-Low unless he could somehow start colonising from the east, which just wasn’t going to happen with Gothmog in the region. And then came the last great Eldar war and Pi-Low had in turn lost control of Atjeh and let Elderan take it after all. The whole episode was delightfully ironic.

But Pi-Low was starting to think he could do without Elderan, the signs were clear and he would bear watching. Despite his protestations Elderan moved in on the remaining shell of Dai Viet, taking three provinces in the south east corner. Really Pi-Low wasn’t thinking straight trying to bar Elderan from the region, it needed both their presence to eat away at Dai Viet and reduce the territory Gothmog could get for free, and both being present on the front line would obviously help against any aggression by Gothmog. He was sure Pi-Low would ultimately see sense, but if not Elderan was always ready to put him back in his place....

Hour of Power: 1583-1606

[The camera pans over a group of imps busily mutilating crops and arranging cattle in circles. Another group of imps are performing anal probing of dogs while reading a book on the anatomy of laywers named Sons of Bitches: Lawyers in the Mist. Looks like a really lousy performance in the Illegal Aliens? reality show tonight. As the camera zooms in on a Succubus asking a fire hydrant to be taken to its leader, the camera explodes - violently and all over the place]

PEDANTIC VOICE: Welcome to the Hour of Power. Well, when I say hour, I really mean 37 minutes, what with the commercials and unscheduled breaks, certainly not 60 minutes like hours used to be back in Ur. And Power. Really, have you seen the hosts? 37 Minutes of Agony would be more like it really. In fact, I

[A huge boom followed by a sound that could, conceivably, arise from a thousand damned throats screaming at the same time, cuts off the pedantic voice, which descends into blubbering terror, and, screaming in mortal fear and agony, fades away.

MEPHISTOPHELES: I am the bite behind the bark, I am the knife behind the back, I am the joker without humour, I am the cry of finality, I am the rage in the heart of the bold, and the terror in the heart of the craven, I am the light beyond the dark, and the dark beyond the light, I was the cause of the primal scream, and this is my show, the Hour of Power!

ASMODEUS: And I am Asmodeus, and, while I cannot beat Mephistopheles in terms sheer of megalomania, I can assess a soul at a glance down to a centisin and do a mean pina colada.

MEPHISTOPHELES: Tonight, we'll be taking a look at Earth#5, where an astonished development has taken place. Asmodeus?

ASMODEUS: Thanks, Mephistopheles. Where recently four Eldar waged bloody war on each other for pride and prejudice....

[canned applause]

ASMODEUS: Now three Eldar remain. Karmulek the Slayer, once aspirant to deity-hood, is gone, his essence banished into the void, leaving his empire of Dai Viet defenseless against the other Eldar.

MEPHISTOPHELES: Can you tell us more about what happened? Did the forces of good finally catch up with him, or were he assassinated by his enemies?

ASMODEUS: Good question, Mephistopheles. An INN cameraimp caught the following sequence in Hanoi...

[The picture bounces up madly, despite the cameraimps' steadying hand on the camera, caused by the earthquake that tears through the city. The camera pans over the Eldar palace which used to dominate the city, now wreathed in flame, its very stones melting from a heat more commonly associated with the heart of a volcano. And out of the fire marches Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs, and with him a battlescarred bodyguard of Sohei. Alone amongst the people in Hanoi, these fierce warrior-monks keep their footing, as they scan the crowds for hidden dangers, even as they walk besides the greatest danger the city has ever seen. Pausing briefly to reduce a statue of Karmulek to rubble with one blow of his black axe, Gothmog lets out a ringing laugh fusing the camera and cameraimp alike]

[canned 'OOOOHHHs']

ASMODEUS: While this doesn't constitute proof that would stand up in a court of law, I'd say odds are 100/100 that twas Gothmog who done it. So he wasn't assassinated by an enemy, but slain by an ally. Doesn't take betrayal well, does the High-Captain.

MEPHISTOPHELES: You can say that again!

ASMODEUS: And now, with Karmulek gone, it is just a matter of time before Dai Viet is carved up by the ravenous Eldar.

MEPHISTOPHELES: Too true. Might even touch off another Eldar war, for while four Eldar made for nice nice and balanced alliances, with only three, it is going to be two against one, or much more likely, one against one, with the last Eldar ready to take advantage of any momentary weakness.

[canned applause]

ASMODEUS: As a matter of fact, apart from continued colonisation, the next two decades were relatively peaceful.

MEPHISTOPHELES: Relatively?

ASMODEUS: Yes. Not much happened. Admittedly Atjeh was annexed by Elderan, who also continued the dismemberment of the Uzbek Kaganate, and China and Manchuria were annexed by Gothmog, who also invaded Korea, but apart from that the major issue was the dismemberment of Dai Viet. Apparently, Pi-Low and Gothmog struck a deal....

MEPHISTOPHELES: Thus opening up a new and unexpected axis and diminishing Elderan's hold on Pi-Low, if I am not much mistaken?

ASMODEUS: Indeed. Gothmog laid claim to 27% of Dai Viet, the Northern part on the side of the Mekong River, and agreed to honour Pi-Low's claim to the rest of Dai Viet, and vice-versa.

MEPHISTOPHELES: Very generous. Somewhat suspicious, though. Why not go for half of Dai Viet, or more? Gothmog can surely take it against any action Pi-Low could take?

ASMODEUS: Yes, and drag Elderan into a war again over a couple of Buddhist provinces, while revolts are rife in the recent Chinese and Manchurian possessions. Besides, no doubt, Gothmog is trying to woo Pi-Low to switch sides.

MEPHISTOPEHLES: Cunning. But might it not backfire once he has a revitalised and immensely more powerful Mysore on his flank?

ASMODEUS: That is a very good question, Mephistopheles. Time will tell. However, things didn't quite go quite according to plan, since Elderan decided to join the fun - and, despite the urgent protestations from Pi-Low - he took some of the choiciest provinces of all Dai Viet, centered on rich Bangkok.

MEPHISTOPHELES: That has got to be pretty indefensible territory, Asmodeus!

ASMODEUS: Indeed, Mephistopheles, indeed. But it is both rich and of strategic importance, since this gives Elderan a refueling and recruiting spot near, but not adjacent to, the Nipponese border, should he ever find himself at war with Gothmog. Think of this acquisition as an offensive forward fire base: Useful for launching attacks on Nippon, yet not important enough to really worry about losing for the duration of a war, if the going gets tough. I've got a map of the claims, and the extent to which they have been fulfilled by 1606 here. As you can see, both Pi-Low and Gothmog have begun from the north along their agreed border, while Elderan has snuck in on some prime territory in the southern zone. Malacca, at least, is still free for Pi-Low to take.

MEPHISTOPHELES: For now. One would have expected him to go for Malacca first, given how hard it was for Karmulek to pry it from his fingers in the first place, but apparently not.

The Spoils of the Empire of Karmulek, 1606
186821204.jpg

ASMODEUS: Indeed. It will be interesting to see how it falls out. Will Elderan continue his conquest of Dai Viet, and will this touch off a war with Gothmog - or, even worse, with Pi-Low? Will Gothmog overstretch himself trying to take more of Dai Viet than he has claimed? Will Pi-Low invade Tibet? Time will tell. Over to you, Mephistopheles.

MEPHISTOPHELES: Thanks, Asmodeus. Now, let us take a look at the internal policies of the the Eldar Empires, with the newest sociopathic data from the Human Rights Watch....

Code:
[font=courier new]
[color=yellow]                  Elderan  Pi-Low   Gothmog[/color]
[color=skyblue]Aristocracy   [/color][color=white]      10       10        7[/color]
[color=skyblue]Centralisation[/color][color=white]       0        0        4[/color]
[color=skyblue]Innovativeness[/color][color=white]       2        1        4[/color]
[color=skyblue]Mercantilism  [/color][color=white]       7        8        0[/color]
[color=skyblue]Offensiveness [/color][color=white]      10        5        4[/color]
[color=skyblue]Land          [/color][color=white]       3        5        0[/color]
[color=skyblue]Quality       [/color][color=white]       4        5        1[/color]
[color=skyblue]Serfdom       [/color][color=white]      10        7       10[/color]
[/font]

ASMODEUS: As can be seen, all the Eldar are strong believers in using a decentralised aristocracy to support them, although recent events in Nippon - I refer to the rather brutal reduction of the losing Damiyos - have strengthened central power to the cost of the aristocracy. Hardly a surprise given their history, really.

MEPHISTOPHELES: Hardly! Additionally, another no-brainer, ha-ha, none of them really support an intelligentsia as such, and the Eldars views on serfdom is well known.

ASMODEUS: Except for Pi-Low, it seems, who likes to eat his humans serfed less time.

[canned agonised laughter]

MEPHISTOPHELES: Now, Gothmog is the naval and free-trading monster of commerce, whereas both Elderan and Pi-Low support strict mercantilist control of their trade. Something to be said for both approaches, but I guess Gothmog has to encourage his people to colonise somehow - the curse of being an island nation.

ASMODEUS: Indeed, it does preclude that frontier nation mentality, that so often send thousands to an ignoble life as indentured servants in a brave new world. Now, Elderan, perhaps hoping to overcome the deficiencies of low technology, has welded a most powerful offensive army together, whereas Pi-Low and Gothmog appear rather more defensive.

MEPHISTOPHELES: All in accordance with their mind-sets. Pi-Low expands ever so slowly with his high-tech armies, digging in and defending whatever he takes, and Gothmog, well, Angband all but screamed severe paranoia and siege mentality, so hardly a surprise there.

ASMODEUS: And Melkor sure was right! They were all out to get him. Most unsporting, really. Stealing a few pages from the annals of history, it thus comes as no surprise that Gothmog has the lowest quality troops..

MEPHISTOPHELES: Probably hasn't figured out the essential differences between humans and orcs, casualty-wise, yet.

ASMODEUS: Or more likely, doesn't care.

MEPHISTOPHELES: Could be, Asmodeus, could be. I've just been informed that his satanic majesty has rescheduled the daily hour of unnecessarily lavish and preposterous praise for himself, so light up, boys, and join us in singing the infernal Anthem, Hails to the Boss!, or face the music.

ASMODEUS: I'm Asmodeus, and you've been watching the Hour of Power - only on INN.

I am extraordinarily pleased to see that Boing continues to survive in the mountains.:)

The old man clung to the throne, his skeletal hands gently rubbing the metal arm rests as he sat seemingly deep in thought much as his ancestors before him had sat upon the Iron throne, but Muzaffar’s thoughts were not his own. Ever since attaining the throne in 1562 his will had been subsumed by a higher power, he should have died years ago, the spark of conscious that still flickered in his mind knew this, yet his devil master would not let him find the rest of the grave, and so he was forced to continue to serve.

1606 and the Uzbeks

Attack. We must attack the Uzbeks, Muzaffar’s papery voice whispered. Kara Kum, Bouzatchi and Alga must fall and be added to the greater glory of Gujarat. Leave the Uzbek capital at Otrar, that is promised to Pi-Low and his minions in Mysore. The year was 1606 and Elderan had spoken.

1608 – the aftermath

Muzaffar writhed in agony as he sat upon the Iron throne, his conscience allowed to come to the surface to suffer the full pain of his punishment. A dull sheen had been rubbed on the pock marked arm rests of the throne as countless unfortunate monarchs suffered the wrath of Elderan and gripped it in desperation, their joints seeming ready to pop. Fool whispered the voice in his mind, you were to make peace with Sibir and Morocco, not the stinking Uzbeks!. Muzaffar shivered as a fresh wave of agony passed down his spine, such was the fate of the Gujarat monarch over a simple courier mix up.

1614 and the first look at the Mughals

The once vast Mughal empire sat surrounded by and hating Gujarat and Mysore, the sight was a thorn in Elderans eye that refused to be plucked. They had been made vassals by some over zealous subordinate over 50 years earlier, but now due to the vagaries of Pi-Low Gujarat was unable to annex them as befitted the Mughal fate. Summoning up the increasingly feeble mind of Muzaffar Elderan set his plan in motion.

Later in 1614

The first explorer presented himself to the royal court, the naval policies of the last 50 years had finally paid off, if a little late, and Muzaffar sat on the throne drooling in delight for once. Barely able to speak he finally ordered the industrious fellow to start mapping the coast of Africa.

The monarch could sence some of the ecstacy and thoughts of his devil master, at last Elderan was thinking, a chance to outfox Gothmog and discover the fabled eastern continent from a different route, and if the continent of the Americas is not to be found this way, well there would no doubt be other riches to find.

Money problems Pi-Low? Really you should take better care of your finances. Here take this gift. You really should send out more merchants you know.

1617 and the fall of Xhosa

50,000 men unload from the Gujarat fleet as Elderan makes his first push into Africa and Xhosa is his target. Zimbabwe and Zanj have been granted to Pi-Low to bolster his flagging economy, but it will take some time before the trickster claims his prize. For once Muzaffar rests peacefully upon the throne of his ancestors.

1621 and a rude awakening

How had it all gone so wrong Patna wondered as he watched the knife in the priests hand weave to the rhythm of his chanting? Expectations had been so high after the fall of Xhosa, Zimbabwe and Zanj had been granted to Pi-Low and his Mysorean henchmen whilst Southern Africa went to Elderan, but when the southern tip of Africa was mapped out someone else had got there first – Portugal.

Patna had headed up the expeditionary force to expunge these western devils, but the provinces of Karoo, Ciskie and Zambezia proved to be anything but easy to take with their medium fortifications, and the Portuguese fleet had pounded Gujarat mercilessly. In the end Patna had staved off total disaster by burning the Portuguese trading posts from the province of Table up the west coast of Africa and replacing them with Gujarat colonies, a small sum of 50 ducats was then paid to Portugal to end the hostilities. Patna’s return to Gujarat had not been pleasant though. Within hours of making dock at the great port city he had been arrested and now he knelt in the temple of Tenebrae as the High Priest prepared to feed his heart to the Dark God.

1626 and wasted money

Jhansi sat before the burning camp fire rubbing his hands in glee whilst planning in his mind what he would spend the money on. A palace of his own perhaps? He could afford it now once he got out of these accursed lands, perhaps he would settle in Asia Minor, then again it couldn’t hurt to put a bit more distance between himself and Gujarat. But really 1000 ducats! So much money just to bribe the Mughal Khan to join the Gujarat realm. Siphoning off a percentage over the last year had been so easy when the sums involved were so huge, now it was time to live the good life!

Two hours later he awoke in agony as the curved knife in the hands of the Tenebrae priest began to cut the first incision into his chest.

1628 and the Pirate infestation

Gothmog – my eye is upon you! Waste your money if you like on privateers, but know that I recognise the source. Your lackeys will die all along my coast, your money wasted, henchmen dead. No booty will come your way!

1637 and the riches of Ivoria

By the 1630’s explorers had finished mapping all the way up the west African coast till they reached Ivoria and the kingdom of Benin. The voyage was long but the spoils worth it as 60,000 men disembarked into Ivoria and quickly assaulted the coastal fortress. Losses were high mainly from disease, but the Pagan kingdom was no match for the armies of the Dark God and following the rule of three Ivoria, Accra and Nigeria came under the rule of Elderan and Gujarat.

1640 and South America is reached

Over the next few years explorers continue to flock to Gujarat as a western approach is mapped to South America. Conquistadors in the employ of Pi-Low map the falklands and establish a small colony there allowing for a jumping off point and the further mapping of the South American coast by explorers in the employ of Gujarat.

1644 and an alliance is sundered

Growing tired of the Mughal debacle Elderan finally intervenes and forces Gujarat to assume the ascendancy in the alliance with Mysore. The alliance is broken and re-formed under Gujarats leadership with the last vestiges of the Mughals invited in. Good money after bad had been spent to improve relations as well as given to Pi-Low on the false assumption that Mysore could invite the Mughals into the alliance. Finally though the technicalities were sorted out and the Mughals subsumed, their pesky merchants no longer able to compete against the Gujarat trade. The relief of Gothmog was also felt for some reason, but then the Mughals had often held a trade monopoly across the Nipponese lands.

1645 and the spies of Gothmog!

Muzaffar struggled to rise before collapsing once more back onto the throne. The pain was unbearable as jolt after jolt of agony passed through his body. Finally it came to an end and the absence was like entering paradise. The cause of Elderans latest displeasure was simple, a spy from Gothmog maskerading as an agent of Pi-Low had offered a map trade, and Muzaffar in his dotage had accepted in line with current policy of sharing all explorations with the trickster. Now Gothmog knew all about the route to South America and more importantly had a full map of the Siberian corridor!! Elderan was not pleased as he inflicted yet another wave of pain upon his hapless servent.

1606-1653

1606-1653

He stalks the dark passages beneath Kyushu, the temporal seat of his power, and his mind turn to the ongoing struggle with the other Eldar, Elderan and Pi-Low. His realm is rich and powerful, yet backwards in technology. Of weapons of war, they have plenty, but none that can reach as far as the arquebusses of Pi-Low. It is necessary, he concludes, to improve his military: To forge new weapons of war, which are second to none, and to this he dedicates the resources of Nippon.

Yet never does he fail to improve his defenses. With the war against the remnants of Karmulek's empire of 1610-1613, all of Dai Viet within his sphere of influence save the capital of Hanoi, is conquered. And with the fall of Korea in 1615 his realm of glory is secured against internal threats.

And thus, at last, he initiates the final phase of a long-laid plan. His intrepid explorers had sought a way east across the great ocean throughout the sixteenth century and using the Hawaian islands as bases, they had finally found a great land inhabited by fierce but primitive natives under constant attack by the European powers. The first two decades of the seventeenth century had seen the construction of colonies near Monterey, and now, in 1622, does he fling his grand fleet of countless warships across the Pacific Ocean, and under the brilliant leadership of the Shogun Tokugawa Iemitsu do they invade the land of the Aztecs in February the following year, overrunning the natives within two months. The influx of bright gold as Saltillo, Michoagan, and Jalisco are added to his possessions is most welcome indeed, but does not stop the irresistable Shogun. The Zapotecs fall in five months and are added to the empire, and the Aztecs are soundly defeated in the wars of 1629-1630 and 1637, and they now serve him as do all others who have faced his wrath. And in that golden land beneath the distant sun dies Tokugawa Iemitsu, Shogun, Conqueror, greatest puppet of Gothmog, and the name will be remembered in his lord's fiery heart.

As he gazes into the flames of the dark pits of Kyushu, he contemplates Elderan. Rumours abound that he is conquering and colonising his way south through Africa, but might that be a ruse? Might he be considering invasion? And, if not, is he capable of defending himself? Knowledge never comes cheap, yet even so the hiring of privateers along the coastline of Persia would have been cheap at twice the cost: Sunk within two months - a sure sign that Elderan maintains a substantial fleet, though undoubtedly weaker than his own.

And what of Pi-Low? He has sent that mangy cur many a gift down through the years, for is he not the giver of gifts? And has Pi-Low used it sensible? As revolts wreak havoc on the lands of Mysore, threatening even the newest African conquests, he concludes that, unfortunately though it may be, it is not the case. Pi-Low has used funds on the army instead of investing in revenue-generating enterprises, and thus his income is still insufficient to maintain a sizable army. While Pi-Low's army of 1640 is better trained than that of 1600, in the meanwhile the army of Gothmog has surpassed him, and is now both numerically and technologially superior.

And thus, in his wisdom, and for the cause of peace, and for the good will of his peers, does he offer to trade maps with Elderan, 153 undiscovered provinces, including still uncolonised parts of the Americas, for the maps of 102 provinces he does not know of, and Elderan agrees. Then, out of kindness unsurpassed, does he offer the same deal to Pi-Low - all his knowledge of maps for the knowledge of the one province that Pi-Low holds, which he does not know, and Pi-Low refuses. And a second time, he refuses. And a third time as well. Then, grieving at the thought that his magnanimity is thus scorned, he asks Pi-Low why, oh why, he does such a borderline insane thing, and contemplating this revelealed wisdom does Pi-Low, craven, cur, lap-dog of Elderan, see the light and agree to the trade.

Yet all is not quiet in the Americas. The Spanish, a strange people following an unforgiving god, a dark figment of their imaginations, having achieved power and dominion in the continent of Europe with their occupation of half of France, seing the wealth of his realm and being of an envious and most disagreable nature, declare war in 1649. But though their armies may be more advanced, and their fleets mighty, they cannot stand against the armies guarding this prized possession. Far and wide do his armies range in North and Central America, burning as the come, crushing resistance wherever it is found, and after three blooddrenched years with the loss of some 130,000 soldiers, the invaders withdraw leaving him in possession of Tampico. And with new Nipponese colonies growing where the Spanish traders used to work.

And he smiles, and he roars with pleasure. He writhes in ecstacy as the power roars through him, for his power has crossed a threshold! The worship of millions of devout followers feeds him, and as flames caress him, and darkness descend upon Kyushu, cloaking it in shadows, he sends forth the call.

And it is heard.

Weak and scattered though they may be, many lesser Maiar still remain in the world. And whether dead or resting, they hear the call, and they heed his call.

But not all of them.

In sharp contrast to his mighty cry, two disharmonic songs of seduction are raised in response far to the west, and perverting the call to action, some of the Maiar are swayed by the treacherous voices of Elderan and Pi-Low.

He rages, and the sun of noon is a shadow of his wrath.

He rages, and ten thousand soldiers are fused by his heat.

But enough Maiar remain to serve him, barely. Gathering the prayers of his scattered worshipers to him, he forges chains imperishable and with them he links his worshipers, and he is their god and master, and they will now toil for him on an even footing. No longer will the Japanese be the favoured people of Gothmog: Now, all that have served for some time will serve on equal terms. This is the covenant of Gothmog: Serve equally, or you shall be served.

And as he lifts his black axe to the sky, he issues another cry that shakes the heavens, and in five territories of Southern China, in the land where the conquest began, do massive black monoliths rise from the soil, and from them shadows flow, claiming these lands for Gothmog forever.

The Ziggerut towered into the sunlit sky, its black obsidian absorbing all rays of light as though eating away at the very essence of the world itself. Priests of Tenebrae stood chanting in their midnight blue robes exulting as they tapping into the power of their dark God. The place was Rajputana and the sacrifices were about to begin. For one who had the power to see, you would observe an identical scene being played out at four other locations in Gujarat, Thar, Mascate, Isfahan and Tabaristan, as Elderan consolitated his grip on these strategic areas. He could sence his powers increasing as the life energies of those sacrificed were absorbed and expanded upon by the prayers and chants of his priests.

The dark God smiled as he looked down at his newest creation, his power multiplying exponentially as the number of his followers increased. Now not only could he feed off and control the people from the original Gujarat region, but with his exhanced powers he could tap into the hearts and minds of all the peoples he had subjugated. And with the new power of the Ziggeruts his strength and domination would continue to spread ... lightening flickered from his fingers as he exulted in his new strength, truely he had returned to this world in power and majesty, never again to be confined to the Abyss.

The air was thick with the smell of blood. Beheaded corpses were hanging all over the city, and Pi Low had bewitched them so blood would always pour from their wounds. The Eldar was feeling REALLY angry.

Sitting on the Imperial throne, he was now granting an audience to Shah Eo'chayd, former general and governor of the newly acquired African colonies.

"- I assume general, that you have a decent explanation for your repeated failures at handling our ruinous African wars?

- Ô Mighty Pi Low, our African colonies consists mainly of sandy wastes! No army of some importance can stay there untouched! Most of my men died of starvation or thirst... Attrition is our enemy, not the helpless savages that we encountered!

- Enough! Those "helpless savages" you speak of were smart enough to cost us over 100 000 men total! And now I've been told that some rebels have recreated the Sultanat of Oman in our African colonies!

- Ô Lord of all that lives, the rebels managed to seize towns without besieging it first. With our fortress guns and all the weapons they seized in our supply dump, they now hold one territory.

- Storm them!

- That we cannot do, Ô my Lord. With our guns they repeled us 5 times already.

- Shah Eo'chayd your incompetence has cost us to much precious time and money. Shah Ibn'sen will take the command of our armies and will hopefuly do better than you.

GUARDS! SEIZE SHAH EO'CHAYD AND PUT HIM IN THE ROOM OF NIGHTMARES."

Shah Eo'chayd broke his vocal cords yelling. For great indeed was the terror it brought in the heart of men.

Pi Low was now alone. Thinking.

This is not good. Something is happening. I can feel it. The void is chaotic.

Well, i'll have to postpone my next travel to the dreamworld.

The army is quasi-useless. The garrisons in Asia are intact and number 150 000 men, with enough cavalry and cannons. but the colonial armies are just too weak. Oman will be recaptured within a month or two. Mmmmh. And I still have a higher land tech than the other Eldars, despite what Gothmog claims. But I doubt this edge will last very long.

Economy! I need more money. Factories will sprout in my empire as soon as I've taken care of those pathetic rebels. And I need to strenghten my grasp over the colonies in order to exploit them. Too bad that stupid schmuck Muzaffar gave Gothmog his maps! Fool! A,d he didn't even deem necessary rto warn me about this! He shall pay for that.

The one good news is that my people love me. My worship is spreading and people now wholeheartedly flock to my temples. That is good. Those who do not come to me will be destroyed!

Pi Low was anxious. Paying a visit to Eo'chayd in the Chamber of Nightmares would help him relax.

It sure is a nice creation you have, but getting all the cultures you hold seem to be an unfair trade to Gothmund as he still can only exploit the Manpower of his starting isles. But since this AAR stands in PE:s finished AAR list, I take that there won't be any grand battle to be read about, sadly. /Staffan

Well, I would gain manpower from all of Asia - including all my Chinese provinces. Not too shabby :)

But yes, this AAR is long finished, or, rather, abandoned. We all got busy with other affairds.

The new patches and general lack of manpower in Asia also had a large bearing. It was fun and it was a shame we didn't have one last apocalyptic battle to settle matters, but it had reached it's natural conclusion - The three Eldars agreed to share the world ... for a time anyway :D