• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Or, an even worse nightmare, FDR is removed from office and a Republican becomes a president. There are disasters, and then there are Disasters.

Once in a past game, for fun and giggles I jacked up the dissent in the US and triggered a political collapse (HPP feature) leading to the Republicans ousting FDR and forming an emergency government. Unfortunately, the feature wasn't quite intended to handle 200+ dissent, and the Republicans were in turn ousted by a resurgent FDR in three months or so after that, before they'd had enough time to lower dissent and stabilize the country.

So the moral of the story here is that it's not really a problem if the Republicans take office in this game, because FDR will have his revenge in the end. So, I would be more worried about our northerly neighbors here. :rolleyes:

Or, an even worse nightmare, FDR is removed from office and a Republican becomes a president. There are disasters, and then there are Disasters.

Alf Landon, probably. If Wendell Willkie had won, it would all have depended on the composition of Congress. If the Dems
maintain control/enough liberal Republicans get elected (yes, there was such a thing up into the 80s) his policies would IIRC not
have been much different than FDR's. If Taft wing Republicans controlled Congress then you might well have the 2011-2017 standoff.
Ditto Dewey in 1944 - the Republicans as a whole were a MUCH different beast in those days.

Doesn't matter much, Hoover got dossiers on them all!

Hoover...can't live with him, can't live without him! :D

Alf Landon, probably. If Wendell Willkie had won, it would all have depended on the composition of Congress. If the Dems
maintain control/enough liberal Republicans get elected (yes, there was such a thing up into the 80s) his policies would IIRC not
have been much different than FDR's. If Taft wing Republicans controlled Congress then you might well have the 2011-2017 standoff.
Ditto Dewey in 1944 - the Republicans as a whole were a MUCH different beast in those days.

Domestically, perhaps there wouldn't have been too much difference...Republicans in general were fairly critical of the New Deal but Landon personally was mostly okay with it (later in life, he was in fact a supporter of the similar Great Society programs, albeit by then largely removed from political life). In the presidential campaign which we'll get to someday, most of the Republican attacks were against FDR's expansion of executive power, which in retrospect were actually somewhat valid complaints.

The bigger change (and most relevant for HoI3!) would have been foreign policy with a much stronger isolationist stance. Roosevelt was very much a president pushing for greater international involvement against a very resistant population. By contrast, if the Republicans took charge, it's not unlikely that Cash-and-Carry or lend-lease would never have happened, or in a much reduced capacity. In the most extreme case, the US may not have entered the war if their stronger neutrality stance was enough to convince the Japanese to leave Pearl Harbor alone - though I doubt this would have been the case, as the Japanese reasons for attacking PH had very little to do with the situation in Europe and the Atlantic.

There might also have been a reduction in the pre-PH naval expansion programs, but I'm not really sure since navy shipyards are a good source of jobs in trying economic times, and national defense always plays well with the public in a hostile climate.

In the most extreme case, the US may not have entered the war if their stronger neutrality stance was enough to convince the Japanese to leave Pearl Harbor alone - though I doubt this would have been the case, as the Japanese reasons for attacking PH had very little to do with the situation in Europe and the Atlantic.

To be fair, the Pacific fleet would likely not have been rebased to Pearl from San Diego. People tend to forget that move only occurred in 1940.

To be fair, the Pacific fleet would likely not have been rebased to Pearl from San Diego. People tend to forget that move only occurred in 1940.

And that the US Navy, and many of the high ranking officers, did not want to make the move.

With that, the traditional start-of-game information dump has been achieved, and the gameplay may now begin in earnest! Updates from this point may be more frequent but shorter, following the various events that occur both historically and seemingly at random, perhaps punctuated by longer expositions on various historical points of enduring interest…
Off to a great start.

As far as IC, never played the SU but as Germany, I didn't bother because so much IC soon comes there way.

With the USA, because MP is restricted I went with building 30-40 IC (staggered 5-builds at the start-then switching to 10s) and getting DDs, all plane-types and some Garrisons for the Pacific only...till Pearl; making sure MAR & LCs were ready to go into production in big runs.

How much IC are you aiming for in your HPP-USA? Sorry if I missed that earlier.

Seeing these notifications, I may as well assure readers - this AAR is not dead nor forgotten...the authAAR has just been preoccupied as of late. :( Ah, well, such is life. Rest assured, though, there is an update slowly making its way through the pipeline...

Off to a great start.

As far as IC, never played the SU but as Germany, I didn't bother because so much IC soon comes there way.

With the USA, because MP is restricted I went with building 30-40 IC (staggered 5-builds at the start-then switching to 10s) and getting DDs, all plane-types and some Garrisons for the Pacific only...till Pearl; making sure MAR & LCs were ready to go into production in big runs.

How much IC are you aiming for in your HPP-USA? Sorry if I missed that earlier.

Typically I can build up to a base of ~360 IC easily, while maintaining a roughly historical USN buildup. That said, I haven't done a game where I pushed for early rockets, nukes, etc. and that does take a substantial amount of additional IC to build, so I'm not entirely certain.

With modifiers, I expect the US to have >500 IC upon entering the war, which we can potentially push up to 700ish if and when we trigger the "Great War" HPP flag that unlocks the highest industrial laws.

Seeing these notifications, I may as well assure readers - this AAR is not dead nor forgotten...the authAAR has just been preoccupied as of late. :( Ah, well, such is life. Rest assured, though, there is an update slowly making its way through the pipeline...
I had faith - good to hear confirmed though, because I just gave you a shout-out/special mention the other day on the Weekly Showcase Award thread! :)

Typically I can build up to a base of ~360 IC easily, while maintaining a roughly historical USN buildup. That said, I haven't done a game where I pushed for early rockets, nukes, etc. and that does take a substantial amount of additional IC to build, so I'm not entirely certain.

With modifiers, I expect the US to have >500 IC upon entering the war, which we can potentially push up to 700ish if and when we trigger the "Great War" HPP flag that unlocks the highest industrial laws.

Rockets and nukes (not to mention RADAR) do take quite a bit of IC. Perhaps you could opt for a larger first wave(s) of IC, delaying some of the early buildup and then aiming to catch up later on? At least some of those fancy new weapons would, logically, have to come from the Navy and Air Force budgets anyway, so you could probably justify doing a slightly smaller initial buildup to help cover the costs while not compromising IC expansion. And it hardly makes sense to build a ton of weapons now if you can expect vastly stronger ones to be available in 6 months or so.

I had faith - good to hear confirmed though, because I just gave you a shout-out/special mention the other day on the Weekly Showcase Award thread! :)

As is Paradox tradition, I hadn't gotten any notification for that! Thanks mightily for the shout-out!

Rockets and nukes (not to mention RADAR) do take quite a bit of IC. Perhaps you could opt for a larger first wave(s) of IC, delaying some of the early buildup and then aiming to catch up later on? At least some of those fancy new weapons would, logically, have to come from the Navy and Air Force budgets anyway, so you could probably justify doing a slightly smaller initial buildup to help cover the costs while not compromising IC expansion. And it hardly makes sense to build a ton of weapons now if you can expect vastly stronger ones to be available in 6 months or so.

I'm building about as much IC as I can, considering the Great Depression modifiers and the amount of IC dedicated to the navy budget. Keeping in mind of course that in-narrative, the prospect of nukes, rockets, and jet planes hasn't even been discussed within the halls of power yet...when such topics are broached, then we may see Roosevelt and Co. make the necessary course corrections. At any rate, there's little cause to worry about our IC for now (I hope!).

Personally I'm looking forward to the 1937 slump, it was bad enough in OTL but with anti-bank Wagner in charge it could be horrific(ally funny). Or more likely will just be glossed over as their probably isn't an event for it. :(

All caught up and looking forward to seeing what the cabinet does next to force FDR to hit the martini. :)

Personally I'm looking forward to the 1937 slump, it was bad enough in OTL but with anti-bank Wagner in charge it could be horrific(ally funny). Or more likely will just be glossed over as their probably isn't an event for it. :(

All caught up and looking forward to seeing what the cabinet does next to force FDR to hit the martini. :)

Ah, and here I was, wondering what fun event I could mod in to procrastin--erm, make the game more fun and exciting! :rolleyes:

You are correct that there's no event for a 1937 slump, even in HPP, but that certainly seems like something one could add in to nerf a human-led USA a little bit more.

In the Light of Certain, Painless Victory: An Ethiopian ChaptAAR
IN THE LIGHT OF CERTAIN, PAINLESS VICTORY: A HEARTS OF IRON 3 AAR

An Ethiopian ChaptAAR

1600 hours EAT, 10 January 1936, The Royal Imperial Palace of Light and Victory, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

CFKMpxB.png

Pictured: The Glorious Holy Ethiopian Royal Empire. Also, outlying lands occupied by other, less victorious, empires. Not for long, of course.

Tekle Harawiat stepped up to the doors leading into the Holy Royal Imperial Throne Room of Gloriously High Ceilings and a Thousand Windows, but paused before opening them. Beside him, the foreign minister of Ethiopia, Heruy Wolde Selassie, nodded in understanding. Both men stood silently before the magnificent archway, dreading the moment when they would walk through it.

Heruy was the first to speak. “I don’t look forward to these meetings any more than you do, Minister, but it will do us no good to delay the inevitable any longer.”

Tekle nodded sadly. “The Emperor has always been somewhat…unstable. But ever since the Italians attacked, he has been even madder than usual.”

Heruy certainly couldn’t disagree with this assessment. “Even so,” he added, “He is still the emperor, so we must answer his summons.” He tilted his head at the door to emphasize this point. Tekle shrugged his shoulders, knowing he could not argue with that, then reluctantly opened the gilded door and strode through the entryway.

“Tiki! Hero! It is so good to see you!” Emperor Haile Selassie’s voice boomed out from the other side of the Holy Imperial Royal Throne Room of Gloriously High Ceilings and a Thousand Windows. The Emperor rose from his throne and strode briskly across the room to greet his ministers, who in turn trudged towards the throne with notably less briskness. Heruy glanced back and forth, taking in the view through the many windows to take his mind off of matters for a moment. There were really only 468 windows in the room – he had counted to be sure. Of course, the Holy Imperial Royal Throne Room had originally been planned to have a full 1,000 windows, in the original design by Emperor Selassie (who had insisted on being the chief architect for the project). The Gloriously Omnipotent Emperor had, however, neglected to consider the extent of support structure necessary to support a Throne Room of Gloriously High Ceilings extending outward from a steep mountainside. As far as Heruy knew, the other 532 windows were still scattered about somewhere at the foot of Mount Entoto.

After an excessively long walk down the Blessed Red Carpet Stained With the Blood of Ten Thousand Heretic Foes, the three men met at last and Selassie gave Tekle a heartfelt hug. “Tiki, my friend, I have missed you!”

Tekle awkwardly tried to break off the embrace. “Your Holy Royal Imperialness, Sir, I’ve asked you not to call me that. With the utmost respect, of course.”

Selassie pulled back and looked at Tekle, concerned. “But it’s a wonderful name, Tiki. You need to own it!” The Holy Royal Emperor flashed a huge grin and two thumbs up at Tekle.

“It doesn’t make me feel wonderful, your Royal Imperial Highness, my Lord.” Tekle interjected softly, staring at the Blessed Red Carpet beneath his feet. “It makes me feel like, I don’t know, some cheap party favor people place in their gardens and light on fire to make people think they’re ‘exotic’.”

“Lit on fire? Yes!” Selassie exclaimed, “A glorious holy light on a mountain, shining for the whole world to see! Surely our inferiors in Europe are in awe of your luminosity, Tiki!” He nodded emphatically at this, quite pleased with himself.

Tekle sighed. He knew better than to try and press the issue. “Well, your Imperial Royal Holiness of Shining, let us get down to business. What matter of glory and, um, magnification brings us here today?” Tekle cringed inwardly, having run out of on-the-spot honorifics with which to complete his Glorious Sentence of Elucidation and Meta-Semantics.

Fortunately, Selassie had apparently not noticed this verbal stumble. “Glorious Gentlemen of Honorable Servility, I have decided in my Divine Wisdom of Glorious Hegemony that we should ally ourselves with the European faction soon to be known as the ‘Axis Powers’. It is a good name, no? Ominous, to herald the certain and painful doom of our heathen foes, yet also suitably grandiose for our highly exalted tastes – after all, what axis does the world rotate about if not the Glorious Holy Ethiopian Royal Empire?”

Tekle and Heruy glanced at each other, confused. Finally, Tekle spoke: “My Lord…of, uh, Great and Awesome Holistic Imperiousness, the Who Powers??”

Selassie stopped making…whatever ridiculous-looking pose he had been trying to strike, and stared at Tekle. “The Axis Powers. You know…Germany, Japan, um…what’s-their-face…Italy!” A silly smile filled Selassie’s face, so pleased he was with himself for remembering three things at once!

The faces of Tekle and Heruy, on the other hand, were instantly filled with shock and horror. “My Lord…” Tekle began shakily.

Selassie glared sharply at his First Minister. “Your what now?!”

Tekle had forgotten his honorifics entirely! “My, uh, Haberdashed and Vast Lord of Hirsute Promiscuity,” he tried again, hoping that the important-sounding words would be enough to deter the Holy Royal Emperor’s wrath. A satisfied grin on Selassie’s face informed Tekle that this approach had been successful. “Are you certain it would be wise to ally ourselves with Italy?”

Selassie was taken aback by the question. “Of course, Tiki! After all, we have very similar philosophies of government. Of course, I realize that the Italians are quite inferior to our Glorious Royal Federation of Democratic Republican Abyssinians, but in my Holy Imperial Wisdom of the Divine King, I foresee them being of great use to us nevertheless.”

Tekle and Heruy shared another furtive glance. When the latter had first informed the Holy Imperial Sovereign of the Italian declaration of war, Selassie had immediately collapsed in a fainting fit. Since then, neither minister was certain whether their boss was in denial, or truly ignorant of reality. At any rate, only one response was possible at this point.

“Of course, my Somnambulant Supremacist Emperor of Redundant Ocular Oscillation,” Tekle bowed, fully committed to his deceptive abuse of the dictionary, “It shall be done as you have commanded.” Heruy bowed as well, and the two men practically scampered along the Blessed Red Carpet Stained With the Blood of Ten Thousand Heretic Foes, all too eager to take their leave of the Holy Royal Emperor of Insane Psychotic Breaks.

Once they were out of the Holy Royal Imperial Throne Room of Gloriously High Ceilings and a Thousand Windows, Heruy whispered to Tekle, “First Minister, what shall I do? Clearly, we cannot engage the Italians in diplomacy while they encroach upon our lands!”

Tekle thought for a moment before answering. “Start by going to the Germans. They are friendly towards the Italians, perhaps they can convince them to cease their aggressive actions in exchange for some favor or other.”

“It shall be done, First Minister.”

ZL2rL4p.png

This actually happened. In-game, anyways.

Heruy saluted his superior, about to take his leave. “By the way, have you ever heard of this ‘Axis’ the Emperor speaks of?”

“Not even once, my friend.”

* * * * *​

Notes

Emperor Haile Selassie I, formerly Ras Tafari, is indeed the famous founding figure of Rastafarianism, but is only slightly less well-known as the Emperor of Abyssinia from 1930 through 1974, excepting a short vacation which happens to coincide with the time period of Hearts of Iron. On one hand, he was noted for his internationalist views, multilateralism, and collective security promotion. However, also noted for his suppression of rebellions and failure to modernize Ethiopia quickly enough, in addition to a number of human rights criticisms. His portrayal in this AAR, of course, is inspired by his role as a Messianic figure in the Rastafarian religion, estimated to have as many as a million followers in the present day, and the likelihood that such a role just might, possibly, have gone to the man’s head. :rolleyes:

Tekle Hawariat Tekle Mariyam (Bedjironde Tekle Hawariate in-game; I have no idea where “Bedjironde” comes from, so I blame Paradox as usual) is listed as the Head of Government, but seems to have served in various ministerial posts leading up to the game time frame with no clear “First Minister” role among them (although I’ve assumed this for the sake of gameplay and narrative). He is perhaps best-known as one of the principal authors of the 1931 Ethiopian Constitution, and thereafter served in numerous positions. In OTL, his personality and political conflicts with Haile Selassie were well-known, and thus most of his ministerial roles were abroad, including postings in London, Paris, and Geneva.

Heruy Wolde Selassie (“Herouy” in-game) served as Foreign Minister of Ethiopia during the 1930s, but is also well-known as an intellectual and an author, having published 28 books during his lifetime. He was a major advocate of close relations with Japan (the “Japanizer” school in Ethiopian intellectual thought), due to the similarities between the two countries. Needless to say, the Japanese support of the Italian invasion came as something of a shock.

For those who do not know: the "Axis", despite being represented in-game from the start, did not come into existence in OTL until, at the earliest, on 25 October 1936, with the informal "Rome-Berlin Axis" treaties between Italy and Germany. Hence why no one has heard of any "Axis" just yet!

* * * * *​

This was originally supposed to be only a much shorter part of a single update…but your humble authAAR had a little too much fun at the Holy Royal Emperor of Verbosity and Insipidity’s expense. So, in the next update, we shall return to Ethiopia to see what other hijinks Haile Selassie has gotten his poor ministers into!

Never fear, of course, we shall return to Roosevelt and his inept Cabinet soon enough...

Last edited:
I have no idea where “Bedjironde” comes from
Well, I had to bounce back on that one, as it is so peculiar and strange. "Bedijen" is an archaic dutch verb that has various meanings but is only ever used in a couple of sayings anymore. The most common meaning (more like the least uncommon meaning) I could find is that it means "going well", "doing well", "achieving", along those lines, depending on context i.e. If your Affairs 'bedijen', business is booming...
Now, what makes this even stranger is that the word is paired with 'ronde' which means round, in both senses of the words. In this case, I'd see it more as a round as in a negotiations round, or a round within a game than an actual round shape.
So, to summarise, this word, never seen before, but grammatically correct, means something along the lines of "round for/about doing well/improving". Of course it might also have it's origin in Afrikaans, but I wouldn't know about that...
Overall this is just so oddly specific, and makes absolutely no sense as a name...

I like this "AAR", I'm pretty new to paradox and have never read one before.
Welcome to a wonderful new world... Much time will be spent, much fun will be had, maybe you'll feel the itch and start writing eventually, all that is ahead...

Great update by the way, I particularly like the part about half of the Palace having fallen off the mountainside... the level of incompetence and egomania is really up there.
Ethiopia moving towards the axis makes just as much sense as Nat China moving towards the axis in my game, while Japan holds part of their territory and is in the Axis...

I like this Emperor. :D

Welcome to the fora, and in particular to AAR-land. If you like AARs, well, there are plenty of a variety of styles. Enjoy!

In that case, allow me to thank you for commenting on my humble little on-again, off-again piece of work. May I offer you a martini?
emoji_u1f378.png
:p

Well, I had to bounce back on that one, as it is so peculiar and strange. "Bedijen" is an archaic dutch verb that has various meanings but is only ever used in a couple of sayings anymore. The most common meaning (more like the least uncommon meaning) I could find is that it means "going well", "doing well", "achieving", along those lines, depending on context i.e. If your Affairs 'bedijen', business is booming...
Now, what makes this even stranger is that the word is paired with 'ronde' which means round, in both senses of the words. In this case, I'd see it more as a round as in a negotiations round, or a round within a game than an actual round shape.
So, to summarise, this word, never seen before, but grammatically correct, means something along the lines of "round for/about doing well/improving". Of course it might also have it's origin in Afrikaans, but I wouldn't know about that...
Overall this is just so oddly specific, and makes absolutely no sense as a name...

In Ethiopia they (officially) speak Amharic, which is neither of those languages actually (unless they're related?). Unfortunately, Google Translate also has no clue, so unless we have an Ethiopian readAAR to share some insights, it will remain a mystery... :confused:

Or, one might say, a Paradox? :p

Great update by the way, I particularly like the part about half of the Palace having fallen off the mountainside... the level of incompetence and egomania is really up there.
Ethiopia moving towards the axis makes just as much sense as Nat China moving towards the axis in my game, while Japan holds part of their territory and is in the Axis..

In the next update, the sense-making will become even less so, due to a fortuitous (for you and me, anyways) quirk of the HPP mod, for which frankly a Mad Holy Regal Emperor of Loony Non-Verisimilitude is the most reasonable explanation! :eek: