• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The third Americano-British War

maine.jpg

Nowadays state of Maine

The third Americano-British War, also called the Aroostook War, the Pork and Beans War, the Coon-Canuck War, the Lumberjack's War, took her roots in the 1783 Treaty of Paris, that recognized the independance of United States of America at the time; the boundary between the American district of Maine and the British colony of New Brunswick did not satisfy any of the countries, and then Maine accedded to the status of State in 1820, it begun to grant lands to settlers in the valley of the Aroostook River, which was nominally part of British North America, althrough its status was not clearly defined: some French-speaking inhabitants in the area even considered themselves forming part of a so-called independant republic of Madawaska...The representatives of Maine contested more and more the boundary, refusing the offers of arbitration from the Britishs.

In 1827, John Baker, an American woodsman, raised an American flag on the British territory, where he was subsequently arrested by British Colonial Authorities, jailed until he paid his fine of 25 pounds. Ten years later, the Democrat governor of Maine, Robert Dunlap, issued a general order announcing that Maine had been invaded by a foreign power. Both American and New Brunswick lumberjacks were cutting timber in the disputed territory, and then New Brunswick loggers seized the American Land Agent who was exercing there his deeds in 1838, war was now ready to explode. The Maine Governor Edward Kent called out his militiamen, as the New Brunswick Lieutenant Governor Sir John Harvey; both sides decided to refer the matter to their rulers; young queen Victoria for the Britishs, and President Van Buren for the Americans.

180px-Dronning_victoria.jpg
184px-Martin_Van_Buren.jpg

Queen Victoria of Hanover, who had ascended to the throne in 1837; Democrat president of United States Martin Van Buren, who took office the same year.

The newly elected President Van Buren first believed that the Boundary Dispute was nothing less than a lumberjacks' dispute, but then considered the prestige of the United States: after all, the last war against the British Empire only happened twenty years before, and the unexpected Mexican victory in Texas stopped for a while the American expansion to the Pacific. In order to defend the integrity of the United States, and to avoid future and worse boundary disputes with British North America, the Congress declared war on Britain in 1838.

The fall of Boston to an expedition led by British East India Company commissionners proved that the war would be long...

The Pastry War​

Even if the repression of the Texas rebellion was successful, something broke in the Mexican conscience at that time. Most of all, the capture of General Santa Anna, the true ruler of Mexico, in the last days of the war: this gallant last stand from the Texans and this humilitation for the General proved that the latter was not totally invincible, maybe even too incompetent to insure his own safety; in the name of what logic should the Mexicans allow such a man to rule their destinies? Even if the trust of the aging Emperor Agustin was still intact, the rule of Santa Anna begun to crack.

santa-anna.jpg

The Texas rebellion gave ideas to the other states of Mexico: some by true will of independance against the arbitrary central power in Mexico City, others by the opportunism of garrison generals who tried to establish their own rule in their own countries or to be noticed by the Emperor, in the hope of being appointed President of Council in remplacement of Santa Anna. Vowing to return to the project of Federalist Constitution of 1824, revolts begun to spread throughout Mexico, which was just recovering from an unprecented national debt.

200px-Louis-Philippe_de_Bourbon.jpg

In this context, Mexico was saw from Europe as a poor country ruled by incomptent men and ripe for intervention from good-willed European powers. The widespread idea in the European courts was an European intervention in Mexico, putting an member of any royal family on the Mexican throne, and go for a reconquest of the whole Americas, in order to civilize a continent plaguened by civil wars and mad dictators. The most interested of these countries was France, which viewed herself as the protector of the Latin nations of America, such as in Louis-Philippe of Orléans' (see above), the current king of the Frenchs, point of view.

The current state of anarchy in the Mexican Empire permitted to France to find a casus belli: bunchs of drunk and unpaid soldiers was common practice in Mexico, and one of them looted the cake shop of a French immigrant, Mr. Remontel, in 1828...As he claimed so. Touching the French king himself, the incident persuaded the French government to demand 600,000 pesos in damages to the Mexican Government, in addition of the old debts that Mexico had towards France. Even if Mexico had finished to pay all his debts, such an amount of money was impossible to pay, and the Emperor had nothing to do but to refuse. In response, Louis-Philippe sent a fleet under Rear Admiral Charles Baudin to organize a blockade of the Gulf of Mexico, in addition to an assault on Veracruz port.

180px-Portrait-Charles-Baudin.jpg

Rear Admiral Charles Baudin, with his missing arm.

The Pastry War, trigerred for nothing less than a vandalized shop of pastries, was beginning...

Martin Chaucha, 1838 - North America in Flames, Ciudad de Mexico, 2001

Yes please more, more!!!

This AAR is on my subscription list, I haven't been shouting for updates simply because you gave the impression earlier that there would be a slow update pace.

1839-1843​

In the first days of 1839 the French fleet finally arrived in Veracruz. They offered us a last chance to pay.

pastrywarbi4.png

The French seizure of Veracruz was only temporary, but reimforciments from Europe did not took time to arrive. With their little partner in crime, Sicily, France triev several invasions of Mexico, some of them more succesfull than the others, but neverthless all failed.

invasionwt7.png

This is only a small part of what happened, I did not took everything in screenshots.

troubleau3.png

More trouble.​

In May 1840 the situation looked very grim for Mexico. Many ennemies had to be fought in the same time- the Frenchs, the Sicilians, secessionists from California, Nuevo Leon, and natives in New Mexico.

may40yr7.png

usaukwarqn4.png
In the north, the US army pushed the British beyond Quebec city, the last real important town since the rest of Canada was mostly wasteland. The United Kingdom was also fighting a war in China and thus was not fighting with the same efficienty than it could.

techiq9.png

Happily we did researched a few techs during the war. The first helped us to keep our fragile economy alive and the other increased our efficienty on the battlefield. Many beleive than that was a turning point of the war, since both factions where now fighting with the same weapons.

In 1843, after a last French attempt to capture Veracruz both factions decided than the best was to end that ridiculous bloodshed. A white peace was signed in Veracruz.

outcomeag1.png

North America 1843- Mexico is intact, but the same cannot be said of the United States.​

Well done to survive the French onslaught!

WTF happened to the USA - one screenshot they're dancing with the polar bears, the next they're more CSA than USA!

Deus said:
Good job holding it together, under the pressure. the US seems to be collapsing. Maybe it is time to take advantage of that?

Normally thats what I would have done, but the war in France exhausted my resources- I had to use money to build aditional divisions and it delayed my projects of industrialisation. There is still a few rebellions going on... Mexico need a few years of rest.

Cinéad IV said:
How is the rest of the world looking at this stage?

The world look like it usually look like- British India expended eastward, the UK gained Hong Kong, South America is collasping under rebellions...

However Carlist Spain survived and formed the Kingdom of Navarra in the Basque region (im playing with VIP).

PrawnStar said:
WTF happened to the USA - one screenshot they're dancing with the polar bears, the next they're more CSA than USA!

I think than when the UK won the war in China they sended everything to America.. but still that was very surprising.

Is this aar dead?

I'm looking forward to an update as well!

Interesting setting. It would be tough and thus interesting to see mexican development during this century. Despite this I've never have seen the aroostook war happen in my games. I guess you have even more surprises in your pockets.

This AAR will come to life again after my travel to Europe (May 13 to 23), don't desesperate im just too busy to play & write things.