• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ProfCC

Lt. General
17 Badges
Jun 14, 2003
www.carlcreasman.com
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
Just curious about what is happening in here now. I've tried to look hard in the early threads and the FAQ and so forth. Obviously they are going to beta test, so some changes are being made. And Johan & Co have been excellent to consider ideas and suggestions from the Community, as evidenced by all the updates to EU2.

But, are all our threads and opinions about things actually important to the process or are we just rambling around? I mean, is Johan actually concerned with what we think about the length or leaders or religion or stability?

There is a world of difference between us just shooting the breeze with our .02 about how we wish it was going to be this way or that way AND us actually chatting so that concrete changes can be considered.

Anyone know the answer? Any mod? Johan? :)

Rambling I think, for the most part.

They've been working on it for a year apparently, so I'm sure they already have a fully fleshed out design document. That means all the major systems would already be designed. So any sort of major changes probably aren't... mmmm... very likely. ;)

Rambling. Definitely.
ja.gif

Johan reads personally much, much more threads than he replies to. Many times when one of the betas point him out a thread with a very good suggestion, the reply is instantly "yeah, read that".

Mostly rambling, but as said above it provides a read of the pulse of the diehard fans of EU2 and other Paradox games. Also you never know if an idea on here might actually hit the development team as "oh that's actually not bad, hadn't thought of it that way" and serves to tweak the development process. Even one of those moments makes a forum like this useful for developers.

BiB said:
Some good ideas might get picked up. Some posts are just inane rambling. And then there's a large contingent of posts in between these two extremes :D
Posts in between...Like yours! :D Being an Admin means nothing you say is inane rambling, but being a Smurf means nothing you say is a good idea. :p :rofl:

Please don't hurt me. :eek: :( :eek:

I think it is all finalised by now, but still, If I had been a paradox developer (Why oh why did I have to choose law school?), I would feel my work ethos replenished after hours spent coding on an LCD screen. After coming here and see the Not-Vic2 slugging with a cuppa that is :D

To the devs watching this... Keep on making our dreams true!

I wonder if we'll keep this up for a whole year...or whether this rambling will peter off.

Josephus I said:
I wonder if we'll keep this up for a whole year...or whether this rambling will peter off.
Well, this forum has been up for quite some time, and the ramblings have yet to cease.

Josephus I said:
This is the hype phase in which most members are in shock, when the shock wears off the amount of traffic and discussion level of EU3 will no doubt become truely cosmic in size.

Keravnos said:
I think it is all finalised by now

I doubt it. They're a year from ship-date, meaning they probably have a room with a big chart that reads "MUST ADD" "COULD ADD" "SHOULD ADD" "WON'T ADD" (well, in Swedish.) The only people working around-the-clock right now are probably the art department, converting the OLD eu2 images into the 3d engine and moving them around an eu2-like build, just to see if some of the art looks ok.

They likely have a preliminary idea of where they want to go, including some "basic" game design (translation: some killer notes in a green binder), but the features, requirements, and actual gameplay of it is still sort of fluid.

I can tell you from gamedesign experience, at this stage there are still ideas on that board that SOUND like they are the most vital thing in the world... but 3 months from now Johan will walk over to it and scratch it off while saying, "That sounds great, but it really isn't that useful overall and will require a huge amount of code for something the players won't really use anyway."

...and then he'll see a tiny item on the "CAN'T DO" list and a burst of inspiration will hit him and an hour later an "impossible" feature will be released to the beta team.

Josephus I said:

not likely.
Soon enough we will see screens.. and the following "dont you know that the duchy xxx was split...", or "serbia should have 25 provinces, we were a mighty empire".

This will go on for ever, but aside from a few fanatics that will calm down.
By that time however we will get some data on features.. so those will be discussed untill almost the end.

At that point we are torturing early buyers and testers to write aars or to reveal this or that..

untill finally, the end of ends, and paradise belongs to us all.
Then the forum will be completely silent for 48 hours straight, after which various comments will erupt "how do I.. " and "this event really needs changing"..

And not much soon after, lets create the Rome Lives mod, and from that a "Somewhat improved Grand Campaign" -project will be started and play out for the next 8 years.. :D

jacob-Lundgren said:
This is the hype phase in which most members are in shock, when the shock wears off the amount of traffic and discussion level of EU3 will no doubt become truely cosmic in size.

In a week or two we will find that whatever we wanted to suggest has already been posted twice, dismissed as unplayable, defended, flamed, banned and stickied as a warning to other malefactors.... :D

carlec said:
Just curious about what is happening in here now. I've tried to look hard in the early threads and the FAQ and so forth. Obviously they are going to beta test, so some changes are being made. And Johan & Co have been excellent to consider ideas and suggestions from the Community, as evidenced by all the updates to EU2.

But, are all our threads and opinions about things actually important to the process or are we just rambling around? I mean, is Johan actually concerned with what we think about the length or leaders or religion or stability?

There is a world of difference between us just shooting the breeze with our .02 about how we wish it was going to be this way or that way AND us actually chatting so that concrete changes can be considered.

Anyone know the answer? Any mod? Johan? :)

Well there is a needle in the haystack you just have to find it :D and there is damn many straws here...