Any way to bypass increased coring cost traditions?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kingsword

Paladin Commander
58 Badges
Mar 6, 2004
  • War of the Roses
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Magicka
  • War of the Vikings
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
Is there any way to bypass Hungarian/Berber traditions? Those are pretty much the equivalents of "I explode for a million damage whenever I die" trolling talents of shooter and hack 'n slash games. Those combined with aristocracy idea group make a country pretty much untouchable.

I apparently cannot revoke their cores in a peace treaty. The countries are also too big (Hungary & Algeria) to vassalize in a treaty and also don't contain other countries to release. They even went out of their way to convert culture anywhere they grabbed, like whole Croatia so I can't wait the cores to fade away either. Any way out of this without spending thousands of admin points which are hardest to come by?

Nope. Never take land from Hungary or the Berbers. Ever. It is a complete waste of your soldiers' lives.

Knock them down to a manageable size, vassalize, sell them back the provinces you haven't cored yet, then diplo-annex in 10 years time.

Alternatively, Union->Inherit is the best thing ever.

As Portugal, I do it anyways, just for those provinces in the Sevilla trade node. That's if I'm being friends with Castille/Spain.

Edit: But I like Vishaing's suggestion!

Knock them down to a manageable size, vassalize, sell them back the provinces you haven't cored yet, then diplo-annex in 10 years time.

Alternatively, Union->Inherit is the best thing ever.
Hmm, I'll give that a try. Cannot form union since different religion.

Meh, these should be nerfed ASAP.

Smart mechanic, it naturally creates a barrier between Austria and the Ottomans, who would otherwise go ape sh&& and you'd end up with either a very large white blob or a very large green blob.

Smart mechanic, it naturally creates a barrier between Austria and the Ottomans, who would otherwise go ape sh&& and you'd end up with either a very large white blob or a very large green blob.
Observation: Historically, the Ottomans took a fair-sized chunk of Hungary after their victory at Mohacs, while the Habsburgs got a PU with Hungary and Bohemia out of the debacle.

Observation: Historically, the Ottomans took a fair-sized chunk of Hungary after their victory at Mohacs, while the Habsburgs got a PU with Hungary and Bohemia out of the debacle.

But the point is to force that PU instead of a series of simple wars to just conquer it outright. Also that the Ottomans conquests lost their steam around that region and they were backpedaling for the rest of their existence. This is a smart way to nudge the AI into a more historical path.

Oh, you're playing as the Ottomans I take it? Well, if you are conquering into Hungary in particular, remember there are at least two other nations you should be able to release as vassals to make sure your Hungarian Vassal doesn't become too strong; Croatia and Transylvania. I'm not sure if EUIV actually has a way for powerful Vassals to break free. I have seen a Unioned country dissolve their Alliance with their Overlord, Vassals may be able to do the same thing in which case they would be able to rebel.

Make a vassal with your relegion, but there culture group and sell after every war the new provinces to him, he will core it for you. after you are finshed with this culture group. diploannex him. you have now cores on everything there.

Aqvamare beat me to it. For Hungary, create a giant Silesia vassal in the north, and Wallachia/Croatia/Bosnia/Serbia in the south.

They might patch this but I hope not. It's still a lot of work on your part.

Oh, you're playing as the Ottomans I take it? Well, if you are conquering into Hungary in particular, remember there are at least two other nations you should be able to release as vassals to make sure your Hungarian Vassal doesn't become too strong; Croatia and Transylvania. I'm not sure if EUIV actually has a way for powerful Vassals to break free. I have seen a Unioned country dissolve their Alliance with their Overlord, Vassals may be able to do the same thing in which case they would be able to rebel.
There's no Transylvania or Croatia to release. In fact, even I cannot release Croatia after taking the land from them. It's probably since Croatian culture ceased to exist thanks to Hungarians converting anything into their culture. So I have a massive Hungary that I cannot cut down to size even with your proposed method earlier.
But the point is to force that PU instead of a series of simple wars to just conquer it outright. Also that the Ottomans conquests lost their steam around that region and they were backpedaling for the rest of their existence. This is a smart way to nudge the AI into a more historical path.
Ottomans' conquests were checked due to encounter with HRE, not because Hungary was like a Vietnam populated with Dune's Fremen.
Make a vassal with your relegion, but there culture group and sell after every war the new provinces to him, he will core it for you. after you are finshed with this culture group. diploannex him. you have now cores on everything there.
That's an interesting proposition but I'm not sure if my vassal would buy that land since it'd be overseas to them. And there's the issue of not being able to create further claims once I sell the land since I'll lose the borders then. I'll think of how to do it but not sure if I can make it work.

Jeez, this is really driving me crazy, having to rely on extremely gamey methods just to play the game historically.

That's an interesting proposition but I'm not sure if my vassal would buy that land since it'd be overseas to them. And there's the issue of not being able to create further claims once I sell the land since I'll lose the borders then. I'll think of how to do it but not sure if I can make it work.

Jeez, this is really driving me crazy, having to rely on extremely gamey methods just to play the game historically.

The vassal will buy it, as long he has a border or a port to the province. You actually need only one province in your first war, to create a vassal. For me, i always try to grab on of the two persian provinces from Qara as ottoman with the lowest tax income.. Than i create a sunni persia and use rebellsupport mission on timur. You se him blobbing, be only carefull and crush the shite rebels always when the spawn.

For hungary as vassal, you need three wars to conquer everything from starting hungary and get there capital province, after this you have to change religion of pest, than you can release hungary. IT is tital badaass overextension fight, but with big enough doomstack, it is possible. Better is the idea in one post before. Create in the north schlesia and than beginn to sell the provinces you conquer to them.

Important is the relegion, you cannot diloannex them, when they have a other state relegion.

And for claiming more wars, look to the 1 tax provinces, even with 200% bonus, they will cost not so much to core.

or better, there overextansion is so small, that you can sell them at the last possible moment, when you have already a new 1 tax province for further progress.

Fight another war with them. Force them to revoke their cores on the lands you already hold.
You can't force a country to revoke its cores on provinces you own but don't have cores on.

Important is the relegion, you cannot diloannex them, when they have a other state relegion.
I... believe this statement to be inaccurate in EU4, although it was correct in EU3 to the detriment of the Ottomans. (Conveniently, I shall have an opportunity to test this shortly; I'm about to vassalize the Nogai Khanate as Muscovy.)

Do as I did to Algiers as Morocco: just take enough to make them vassalizable and force it on em. I think in EUIV you can then annex them.

But wonderful as a Berber state: had to suck up the costs of taking a couple province from Algiers and I got to annex em' diplomatically. Meanwhile, Tunisia and Tripoli are small enough to easily diploannex, so only had to deal with the penalty twice.

Hungary might make you work a little harder, though. Up to you if you think its worth it.