• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Diagille

Sergeant
32 Badges
Jul 7, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Knights of Honor
This story is about a Saxon from Warwickshire named Alric, who finds himself a slave in the city of Córdoba, al-Andalus, when the tale begins. When I get some time, I might try to make a full-fledged AAR in CK II based on this story.

My history professor (Middle Ages class) requested that we write a memoir of some fictional character living in the middle ages, and I decided to post it here, as I'm sure y'all will have many insights regarding style or historicity; I hope you enjoy reading it as well. It's my first time attempting to write any kind of story, so bear with me :)

Prologue:

The young slave looked out the window of his master's mansion with contentment, drinking in the beautiful sights of his new city. After the battlefields in Aragon and Castille, the newfound peace seemed to cover everywhere he looked, as if one could almost see it. Surely, there was nowhere in his native Wessex to compare to this splendor. Certainly, none of the blood-soaks fields of battle he had ridden over these past few years. Alric chuckled as he imagined the faces of the Normans if they could see him now. With its broad avenues, filled with vendors selling everything under the sun, then spilling into public gardens and baths, he needn't yearn for heaven; the cold castles of his Frankish truants were memories gladly forgotten.

Indeed, A.D. 967 was the in the middle of a golden age for the powerful Caliphate of Córdoba, especially for its capital. Córdoba was no stanger to importance; after all, it had already been the capital of two Roman provinces for a period spanning half a millenium, producing such important Romans as Seneca the Younger and Elder, and the poet Lucan. Another five hundred years and three masters later, and the Arabs under Abd-ar-Rahman III had transformed Córdoba into the intellectual center of the world, surpassing even Baghdad and Constantinople in its size.

<More to Come>

Classic fish out of water story I see. Your writing seems fine, especially if this is your first attempt to form a story.