• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Anything is possible in CK2 I suppose, maybe even reforming the Roman Republic? ;) Ah, we shall see, for the moment I would be most content if a foothold in Egypt is acquired as to promote the story and go further to the East :)

Roman Republic would be very fun, but going to the Far East is just as interesting.

Reactions:
Arc I
Chapter 6
Part 3: The Wedding Party Continues/ Siya’s Promise/ The Merry Men of Pisa/ The attack on Cassio Visconti/ The Conquest of Gibelet in Tripoli and the recovery of an ancient relic/ The Alliance with the Kingdom of France/ The End of the Second Generation of Visconti
“You will take these seeds….they are from India…and you will place them in his food…he wont blabber for long..” the woman said in a hushed voice as she showed some small green seeds to the cook. She then proceeded to grind them into dust with a mortar and pestle nearby and took the remnants into both of her hands.

They will poison me!

“But…isn’t this wrong…I mean…he will..” mumbled the cook. He then looked to his right and left to check if someone was watching them

“Oh…these are relative terms…and…” the woman’s voice trailed off, as Giordano began to recall where he knew her face

Yes…yes… she was the bar wench, Felicia, in La Dolce Vita- The Sweet Life, that seedy place inside the slums of Pisa. And whatmore, Ausonio, the son of his nephew Chiaffredo had the gall to marry her into the Familia Visconti.

Giordano rushed in, grabbing both of them from their arms. Felicia startled, she let the dust fall to the wooden floor of the kitchen.

“I got you! High Treason against the Doge eh? Why I should have known better from a bar wench…”

visco_chapter6_3_1.jpg

“My Serene Doge, I…” the cook trembled and tried to spell some words. He was met with the angry glare of Giordano, his hands grabbing their arms like a vice

“I know of these circumstantial gatherings in the kitchen, many a noble perished from poisoning as the unworthy plotted against him…and you little bees have been caught now…should I…”

By chance, Ausonio was passing through the corridor when he saw his great uncle holding his wife and the cook. He immediately entered and asked the reason for this unprovoked action.

“Your lovely wife here wanted to poison me…does that answer your question, pretty boy?”

Felicia was shaking like a leaf. Ausonio then noticed the fallen dust on the floor and inquired.

“Great uncle, what is that on the floor?”

Giordano scoffed his silly question as he said. It was the poison of course, he replied

Ausonio volunteered to taste it, after looking at his wife Felicia and the cook in their eyes. Giordano shrugged, saying if he wished his death wish, he was free to try.

He bowed to the floor and with a finger he collected an extract from the grinded dust. As he brought it near to his mouth, Ausonio smelled the intense aroma it emanated, even in its crushed form. He closed his eyes and brought it to his tongue: a fiery sensation engulfed his mouth as he went to fetch water immediately to quench the flame.

Giordano let a roar of victory. He was right, obviously so after Ausonio’s burn.

“Great uncle, permit me, though most hot, these are chilli seeds from the Indies… I doubt they would cause you any harm apart from an enhanced taste and perhaps a call to nature should you have consumed much…”

The Serene Doge looked puzzled. Then why would they have “conspired” over adding some spicy seeds on his food?

visco_chapter6_3_2.jpg

“Dear Great Uncle, I am sorry for the agitation my wife may have caused but I came to find you, to bestow your attention upon a sensitive matter… do you see over there?” Ausonio said, as he pointed towards the direction of Giordano’s wife Evanthia. She was obviously exchanging pleasantries with a courtier who poured wine upon her goblet.

“I have tracked down that man…my informants say he is a frequent visitor to La Vita Bella along with a woman with a hood…beautiful physique…ebony hair…I am sorry to say…”

Giordano forgot all about the chilli incident . He narrowed his eyes to Evanthia Tarchaneiotes and stormed in their direction. Ausonio returned to the kitchen

“Close call…you should be more careful Felicia next time! Now give me that antidote!”

visco_chapter6_3_3.jpg

“Evanthia!” Giordano roared, interrupting the prolonged pouring of the wine between the courtier and his wife

Her smile was cut short and her eyes widened.

“We must talk upstairs at once!” he said. As his wife arose from the table, Giordano bumped on purpose upon the courtier, who was by appearance obviously a Greek.

After climbing the stairs and locking themselves in one of the many rooms of the Palazzo, Giordano began his questions

“What secrets have you been hiding from me Evanthia? I saw you having fun with that Greek in a manner that does not befit the position of the Serene Doge’s wife…”

Evanthia let an awkward chuckle.

“My husband, you have misunderstood…Strategos Loukas is…”

“Oh a Strategos as well.. why is he here and not commanding his armies from what blasted hell hole in Rhomaion he is from? Or does he prefer to ride other mares?”

She slapped him immediately on his face.

“I am the descendant of a noble house of Rhomaion, not some rich nouveau Italian you shopped from the bargain bazaar… you must speak better…” she said

“..or what? You give me no choice then. As your husband, I will have no choice than to imprison this man under the pretext of heresy, since he is Orthodox and who knows…”

“You wouldn’t dare…”

“Watch me…Guards!!” said Giordano, as he began to unlock the door

Evanthia fell to her knees, crying.

“Please! Don’t! I confess, I was unfaithful, Loukas offered me the support you did not give… you were absent, pursuing gold and those crazy expeditions to Egypt… I was alone in a land with a foreign tongue and different traditions…Loukas gave me the cure for the nostalgia of home.”

visco_chapter6_3_4.jpg

Giordano then realized the words of Siya and her bizarre curse of growing antlers. Now he knew.

To save himself from embarrassment, Giordano forgave Evanthia and her lover Loukas. By publicly denouncing them, he would have harmed his reputation and the Familia, believing it was better to hide the whole incident than give free slander material for the rival Familias and especially the Alliata with the charismatic rhetor Davide, who was shoulder to shoulder on becoming Doge-Elect.

Of course, Giordano became further estranged with Evanthia and closed himself in the scribe room, designing new trade routes for the Familia to win the race for the Aegean as both the Alliata and the Venetians were expanding at quick pace. He became stressed, wishing for the Visconti to reach first the Cilician Sea and the Levant Coast, to dominate the Antiochean end point of the Silk Road. While studying, he came across news of reports from the north and the Baltic Sea, which mentioned that the Kingdom of Denmark had fallen prey to an expansionist Mohamedan Cuman by the name of Koza. The pagan kingdom of Pomerania and Lithuania followed suit, in awe of his accomplishment over the Christians, and thus the Muslims had established a foothold at these shores.

visco_chapter6_3_5.jpg

So absorbed was he in his studies that the brigands which plagued the Republic at the era of bankruptcy over the war for Mersa Matruh emerged anew and this time they made a bold move: the
Allegri Uomini or Merry Men of Pisa assaulted the sheriff and humiliated him, thus showing they feared neither the Gold Hound nor his men of authority.

visco_chapter6_3_6.jpg

At first Serene Doge Giordano dismissed the seriousness of the situation, implying they were some insignificant ruffians which sooner or later would be put to the sword. However they continued their raids on the trade caravans of Pisa with the Papal State and the Holy Roman Empire, saying this gold should have been donated to the poor and not sit in locked vaults either of the Church or the fat townsmen. Their skill with the bow was noted and Giordano thought of a way to lure them into his trap: he organized an archery contest with a most valuable prize to the winner. Indeed his idea was successful and no sooner than the winner of the contest was the leader of the Allegri Uomini.

The people cheered for him and the Tribunes asked from the Serene Doge to show clemency for their trespass. At first Giordano considered the prospect of making use of these bowmen to his schemes: but then he convinced himself that men were corruptible and that Merry Men would one day aim an arrow on his neck. It was the very reason he avoided open spaces altogether, preferring to travel by a guarded litter or during public events be surrounded by multiple guards. In the end he ordered the execution of their ringleader, to the satisfaction of the Patricians of Pisa and the Church authorities and the dismay of the populous.

visco_chapter6_3_7.jpg

Some months later, the people expressed their dissatisfaction with more extreme measures: while Cassio was collecting the Republic’s taxes, an armed mob attacked him and were prepared to lynch him, had the city guard not interfered. Giordano speculated that the assault was not only in relevance with the execution of the Merry Men ringleader but also an attack by his political rivals over his decision to name him sottocappo , as in the disregard of the morals and customary law of the Republic. To recuperate and not endanger his son further, he granted him the governance of the Grand City of Amalfi, from where he began as well, and decreed the Familia heir would be once more Sinibaldo. Cassio was saddened by his father’s decision but deemed it for the best interests of the Familia.

visco_chapter6_3_8.jpg

As a part of his greater scheme for the Mediterranean and as he saw that the great powers of the region namely the Basileia of the Greeks, the Shia Caliphate of Egypt and the Seljuk Sultanate lay claim to all independent city-states of the Levant, Serene Doge Giordano launched an assault on the city of Gibelet in Tripoli, with the prospect of colonizing the area with Pisan settlers and promoting Catholicism. Unlike the armed overseas expeditions to Egypt, the war was relatively smooth and soon enough the city was in Pisan hands. A local chapel was constructed and according to a hermit, a long lost Crusader from the First Crusade, in his vision he saw that the area which the chapel would be build, a great spiritual treasure would be found. Verily, the workers found an ancient relic, which according to the hermit was the Skull of John the Baptist himself. With much glee, it was shipped to Pisa and kept by the Familia Visconti as keepers and protectors, enhancing their piety and good standing with the Church.

visco_chapter6_3_9.jpg

The conquest of Gibelet and the unearthing of the Skull of John the Baptist coincided with the further recognition of Pisa in the European political scene. The King of France, Jacob II proposed not only to a betrothal of his underage brother Prince Eduard with Sofia Visconti, born from his second marriage with Evanithia but also a formalized alliance. Giordano gladly accepted and in celebration of the event, he minted new coins for the glory of Pisa.

visco_chapter6_3_10.jpg

The joyous news of the betrothal and the French alliance however were overshadowed with the death of the senile Grand Inquisitor Sinibaldo Visconti in his castle in Cagliari. Having reached the 76th year of his life, some said the secret to his long life was his undying devotion to God and his relaxed demeanor, only obviously ruffled when he was recanted as the designated heir of the Familia. Not wishing to disturb the public opinion further, Giordano, after paying his respects to Sinibaldo’s funeral, announced his complete support for Chiaffredo Visconti, the son of Serene Doge Pietro the Second and accomplished diplomat and speechwriter. Years of service to the Diplomatic Corp of Pisa and a masterful man in court manners, Chiaffredo had all the skills that were needed for the political life of Pisa. Yet sinister rumors concerning him and his tactics tied him in collaboration with the Prince of Lies himself, thus reducing his standing as a pious Christian.

visco_chapter6_3_11.jpg

Indeed, his ambiguous diplomatic skills and , more importantly, his assumed affiliation with the Devil, whom granted him many victories on his endeavors, were enough to determine the race for the candidacy of the election of the next Serene Doge. With a little help from the mudslingers of the Alliata, the death of Serene Doge Giordano at the age of 72 saw the Republic turn a new page and for the first time in the Alliata Familia History, Davide Alliata became the new Serene Doge of Pisa, with Chiaffredo handing the keys of the Republic to him. As of the reasons of Giordano’s death, the immense stress to secure the succession to Chiaffredo, pouring vast amounts of gold to his election, lead eventually to his demise. But some even said the previous day from his death, a cackling of a witch was heard at the heavy rain of 28 Novemember 1156, who was no other than Siya who arrived to take him to her den in Mali. With the passing of Giordano thus ended the Second Generation of the Familia Visconti.

visco_chapter6_3_12.jpg

Denmark was taken over by an adventuring Muslim? That is awesome, I love seeing weird kingdoms form. I'm rooting for him and his family to stay in power.

Speaking of staying in power, it's tragic that the possessed Chiaffredo wasn't elected Serene Doge. This must be rectified!

Denmark was taken over by an adventuring Muslim? That is awesome, I love seeing weird kingdoms form. I'm rooting for him and his family to stay in power.

Speaking of staying in power, it's tragic that the possessed Chiaffredo wasn't elected Serene Doge. This must be rectified!

That and perhaps other peculiarities of the world will be covered in an interlude at 1175, the year I have reached gamewise now.

As of Chiaffredo, it seems the Alliata at the last moment bribed more people than the Visconti, thus losing the elections. His rumored possession did not help much... but maybe this very nature will scheme of potential plots... ;)

Arc I
Chapter 7: Chiaffredo Visconti Sixth Doge Guidice of Sardinia, Doge of Amalfi and Capua

Part 1: Seperatio conjugum quoad thorum et mensam (Separation of spouses from bed and table)/ Divine Will? / The Rulings of Chiaffredo Visconti/ The Byzantine De Jure Claim on Lecce and the Angelos Dynast Revolt/ The death of Caliph Gabri’el the Great and the rise of Caliph Abderahman the Decadent of Egypt/ Chiaffredo’s Ambitions
visco_chapter7_1_1.jpg

“Damnation!! Again and again!! How did that man become elected to be the Vicar of Christ? Was the College of Cardinals drunk or absent during the death of Caelestinus II?”

Chiaffredo fumed with disappointment as he read again and again the reply of the new Pope Callistus II over his request to divorce Aurelia, his nominal wife. Despite bearing three sons namely Chiaffredo II, a mastermind of finances, Chiano, the eloquent speaker and Ausonio, the amateurish plotter, Doge Chiaffredo began to become distant to Aurelia, who was his teenage love. His passion for Aurelia extinguished, perhaps after being together all these years and especially after seeing the plight of his cousin Giordano and the rumors of him being cuckolded by the Greek temptress. He could stand no longer her stubborn demeanor nor her cynical remarks, which were critical of his failure to grasp the office of Doge-Elect and become the new Doge with the death of Giordano.

Pope Callistus II, an Occitanian descendant of the Croation Trpimirovic family, after consulting literally with the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, decided not to grant the dissolution of the marriage, as it was a holy bond. That he as a Pope had sired two daughters, before his vow of celibacy, was of no consequence, judging by double standards.

He recommended the seperatio conjugum quoad thorum et mensam, that is the separation of spouses from bed and table, as to contemplate on the situation. Fine, if that was all that could be done to remedy his resentment for Aurelia…

The very night of the seperatio, he dreamed a weird vision: the Skull of John the Baptist, the relic recovered from Gibelet, was crying tears of blood. He reached to touch them, feeling unusual warmth to his hands. Then an excruciating pain awoke him and saw his veins bleeding, as if cut with a sharp object.

“Help! Guards!” he cried

“Damn that woman! She wanted to assassinate me the very same day we separated bedchambers! I will..” mumbled Chiaffredo . He cursed loudly and said obscenities that even a vulgar vagabond would not dare to say.

The next day, after the commotion of the previous night, the medic deemed the condition was nothing to worry about: it was “stale” blood from the previous day’s anger of Chiaffedo which wished to exit the body and for that reason he bled. It seemed plausible, to his medical standards. Yet he began to bleed again when news arrived from Cardinal Ubaldo Panico that the Skull of John the Baptist was…lost…when a stray dog jumped on the Cardinal, breaking the skull and taking its remnants to a pit where it had gathered other bones.

Chiaffredo lost his temper and swore so badly that the Cardinal blushed. In the end, in resignation, he ordered to find some other skull and place it as an exhibition, who would even spot the difference… Cardinal Ubaldo made the sign of the cross and was about to protest sacrilege but preferred to hold his tongue…

visco_chapter7_1_2.jpg

Indeed, how could he risk the loss of such a relic, which brought people far and wide to the Palazzo Visconti to worship it and gain a piece of its divine favor? For in the circumstance of paying respect to this holy piece, they asked the Doge Guidice of Sardinia and Doge of Amalfi and Capua to hold court and settle their differences through arbitration. The rule of law would be the beam of light to once more stand out from the involuntary exile from Pisan politics.

Commoners, burghers and castle owners all sought the advice and judgment of Chiaffredo, who heeded little the traditional Roman law but rather invented his own customs and theories, speaking in plain words and in a brash tone, bordering to obscenity. After all, his experience as a diplomat and speechwriter allowed him to switch his words according to his audience. With time the rumor of the Devil influencing him began to diminish, as he administered justice according to the legal sentiment of the people, a classic populist. The recognition of the people made his ambitions ignite and a spirit of diligence guided his new plans.

visco_chapter7_1_3.jpg

At 24 July 1158 Pope Callistus II embraced the Lord and the new Pope elected was Clemens III Tocco, an Italian native of Rome. He did not have much to show in terms of theology, being merely a detached priest from a monastic order but who showed virtues of charity, diligence and temperance. Some though from the College of Cardinals complained Clemens III was not who he looked like as he was said to be a frequent visitor of seedy establishments in Rome and having a weakness to the fair sex. Those rumors were enough to destabilize the moral authority of the Catholic Church. Grasping on the occasion, Doge Chiaffredo asked the new Pope for the annulment of his marriage: he was met yet again with rejection.

visco_chapter7_1_4.jpg

Meanwhile, Anno Domini 1158 and 1159 were of most interest in the area of influence of the Pisan Republic. The adulthood of Basileus Konstantios IV the Hammer, Chiaffredo’s grandnephew, began with the de jure claim of Lecce from the Norman King Turquetil of Sicily. In response, he aroused the peasantry of Messina to burn down the Visconti tradepost, under the accusations the Pisans were Byzantine lackeys and spies!

When hearings news of the protest from a trade galley which disembarked in Sardinia, Chiaffredo reassured the mob, travelling to Messina in person, that Pisa was neutral to their dispute. Of course, that did not stop the Sicilian henchmen to loot the surroundings and appropriate Visconti goods.

As the Basileus was on expedition, on 7 June 1159 the strong dynasts of the Basileia found their excuse to rise in protest over the crown authority, led by Strategos Photios Angelos, an overzealous general who claimed that Konstantios was tainted by the Catholic Visconti blood. Dissidents from the era of Dowager Empresses Eleonora’s rule joined his cause in protest to the “Catholicocracy” of the Basileia.

visco_chapter7_1_5.jpg

Likewise on 15 November 1158 the Caliph Gabri’el of Egypt died due to poor health, having withstood many times the incursion both of the Christians and of his fellow Muslims on petty disputes over the Caliphate. He was succeeded by his son Abderahman, a man who was soft and used to luxury, leading a decadent lifestyle in Muslim eyes.

The situation was not better for Barbary Africa: after a holy war waged by Serene Doge Davide Alliata of Pisa for Tripolitana, the area was grasped by Conone d’Appiano, a naive appeaser and flatterer to the Serene Doge, naming himself with pomp the Doge of Tripolitana. While a success for the Republic, it meant that the other Patrician Familias were beginning to contest the Visconti over matters of territorial dominance as well.

visco_chapter7_1_6.jpg

Those setbacks though could not stop the Visconti tide which was growing again: for Serene Doge Davide Alliata had no choice but to offer Chiaffredo a seat on the Council of the Republic of Pisa, that of the Chancellor of the Republic. Chiaffredo agreed with no hesitation, his first plan already sealed with success…

visco_chapter7_1_7.jpg

Last edited:
Two Popes refuse to end the marriage, despite both of them having their own history of ignoring celibacy... bad luck, I suppose.

Chancellor, eh? Could be a good opportunity to seize some power, gain some influence.

Two Popes refuse to end the marriage, despite both of them having their own history of ignoring celibacy... bad luck, I suppose.

Chancellor, eh? Could be a good opportunity to seize some power, gain some influence.

Why annul the marriage and set a bad example for others, just because Doge Chiaffredo asked it? After all there was no adultery involved...or the Popes had no real need for a Visconti favor to trade

Indeed, Chiaffredo's rise as Chancellor of the Republic would untie his hands and give him further access to his schemes..which are vast ;)

Arc I
Chapter 7

Part 2: Chancellor of the Republic/ Forced Alliances/ The Bohemian League of Independence/ The Jews return to Pisa/ Malleus Diaboli

“My son, what great news you have brought me from Pisa…at last, our Familia will once again have a say in the Council!” said Chiaffredo. He rolled the parchment and handed it back to Ausonio.

“And how is our guest doing? I am sure he is enjoying Visconti hospitality?” asked Chiaffredo. Ausonio nodded and gave his father a cup of wine to drink

“Indeed father, Prince Kyros Doukas is most grateful for the accommodation and he is very happy from his marriage with our kinswoman Adriana Visconti. As a second son, he was neglected in the Imperial court despite him being currently the Heir Apparent of the Basileia of the Greeks. So our interest surprised him and he is most willing to our plans…”

Chiaffredo smiled wickedly and touched his palms together. He would have the perfect motive to “negotiate” with his grandnephew Konstantios now...there was only one question left to ensure the total victory of his plans.

“Did he profess the Catholic Faith? Has he agreed to the union of the Churches and the elder privileges of the Pope of Rome?”

Ausonio nodded slowly. The perfect candidate for the Basileia had been shaped...

visco_chapter7_2_1.jpg

“Very good! Very good! I shall sail with the first tide to Constantinople and pay a visit to our dear grandnephew…talk with my good niece Eleonora and seal the negotiations to back the Familia in times of need… after all… they too need our help as it seems”

On 10 January 1160, the Chancellor of the Republic of Pisa Chiaffredo Visconti was received with honors befitting a king: a great banquet was held and despite the civil war which tormented the Basileia, the capital of Constantinople and the Imperial fleet were relatively unharmed from the hostilities. The people though mumbled about the arrival of the Visconti, seeing it as an omen of the Catholicocracy, washing the roads from which the Italian merchants passed.

When the banquet ended, Eleonora Visconti, the Dowager Empress of the Basileia of the Greeks and Basileus Konstantios IV, all close relatives of the Visconti, sat with Doge Chiaffredo to talk in private. They knew that the Doge did not arrive solely for a family visit, especially in times were open war was engaged.

Doge Chiaffredo began with a light talk about Pisa, Sardinia and the good tidings of the Visconti trade business. He brought news of the good health of Francesca, the mother of Eleonora and Adriana Faliero, Chiaffredo’s mother and the grandmother of Eleonora. After the pleasantries, Chiaffredo entered into the subject: the Visconti would openly support Basileus Konstantios in his war against the Norman King of Sicily and the Civil War against his authority. In return the Imperial Royal Family would pledge both a non-aggression pact and an alliance with the Familia so long as Chiaffredo lived.

Basileus Konstantios considered the proposal alluring, but with the current attitude of the people against the Catholics, he saw it highly improbable to be utilized. Besides, sooner or later, the Imperial Tagmata would crush the dynast revolutionaries and put to the sword Photios Angelos, the crazed Orthodox zealot.

“What if the people knew…may God give you years dear grandnephew…but should something happen to you and Prince Kyros, your brother succeeded you, that he is wed with a Visconti kinswoman and he also has promised the union of the Churches…” he said. He looked at Eleonora and then Konstantios , weighting their reactions.

Both were taken by surprise. Would the Senate of Constantinople learn such news… the people would be on open revolt and rightly so. They may even join Photio’s revolt and usurp the Doukas!

While Basileus Konstantios was obviously displeased with the blackmail of Doge Chiaffredo, it was a risk he did not wish to take. He would rather ally with the Visconti Catholics, as a Familia of Pisa than endanger the clerical stability of the Basileia from his brother’s treachery.

In such terms, the alliance of Visconti and Doukas, Sardinia and Byzantium, was again reforged, bringing into the war the Visconti against the enemies of the Basileia.

visco_chapter7_2_2.jpg

The next day, the alliance was announced on the Hippodrome of Constantinople. Basileus Konstantios passed this more as a trade alliance and renewal of the trade rights of Pisa in the Basileia. The people though reacted violently, shouting derogatory descriptions for Eleonora Visconti and Doge Chiaffredo. The Imperial Guards intervened and order was restored but at a cost: many defected to Photios Angelos and his cause, ensuring the validity of his supposed claims.

True to his word, Doge Chiaffredo assembled the troops of the Visconti mainly from Sardinia and Palermo as well as the Navaresse Company commanded by Captain Belasko. The nine thousand troops sailed as a relief force to Thessalonika which was sieged by the armies of Photios Angelos. The Imperial Tagmata threw itself in numbers against the revolutionaries, victory being only a grasp away from its achievement. Yet after a forced march, the twelve thousand troops from Asia Minor, the bulk ward of the dynasts, stormed the royalists, reversing the battle and marking it as a slaughter. Many of the Visconti and their mercenaries lost their lives in Edessa, breaking into a wild rout.

visco_chapter7_2_3.jpg

After this devastating defeat, the Visconti abstained from sending more forces, leaving Basileus Konstantios to fend for his own. They did send monetary help but it was not enough to support a counter-attack against the dynasts of Photios Angelos.

Meanwhile on 16 April 1161, fed up with the Holy Roman policy, the Bohemian League of Independence broke de facto from the Holy Roman Empire, with the Bohemian King Castolov Premyslid at its helm. To his banner joined the Premyslid Duke of Tuscany and the Duchess of Provence, taking advantage of the concurring war to lower the crown authority of the Holy Roman Empire which raged with the Lord Mayor of Urbino leading that particular revolt.

visco_chapter7_2_4.jpg

A war being held so close at home, with the outcome directly influencing Pisa and her proximity to the Holy Roman Empire, the Pisani were cautious of the outcome, limiting any military expeditions to the minimum. In such account acted the Visconti who were involved almost to a nominal level against the Norman King of Sicily and the civil war which occurred in the Basileia.

Doge Chiaffredo continued to support financially the war of his grandnephew but also confined himself in Palermo, which had become the de facto court of the Visconti when they prepared for the expedition to face Photios Angelos.

Day by day, Chiaffredo was let down by the mundane problems which the people pestered him about, it did not help that the people nicknamed him “the Rash”, after his blunder to sentence an innocent man to death. In addition, the passing of his mother Adriana Faliero at the age of 80, the famous Venetian woman and a proclaimed towering intellect, led him to further depression. To compensate for his loss, he began to read and write poetry and delve in the arts of the age. He was even credited to have written a theatrical play with the name “The Merchant of Pisa” which was about a Jewish merchant who was ousted during the time of Gentile d’Appiano and after being separated from his family, he found them again at Constantinople, reuniting with them and making up for their losses.

The people of Pisa were touched by the play and with it paved the way for the Jews to return back to the Republic, after last being expelled by Serene Doge Giordano Visconti.

visco_chapter7_2_5.jpg

However the clergy did not see eye to eye with Chiaffredo’s new aspirations and especially his sympathy towards Judaism. Ever inquisitive, a representative of the Archbishopric of Pisa arrived on Palermo with a demand to meet the Doge Chiaffredo in person. His presence was especially felt, a man vested in surplice and purple stole and with rumors saying he was carrying a crucifix, vials of holy water and a book entitled Malleus Diaboli – The Devil Hammer, upon his grasp...

visco_chapter7_2_6.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to have the alliance already, but it seems better if Kyros ends up ruling the Byzantine Empire. Having a Christian emperor would probably make it easier to get future alliances, and it could greatly weaken Orthodoxy.

An exorcist? Who needs him, Chiaffredo is doing great so far being possessed.

A depressed, possessed blackmailer... Chiaffredo is almost as good as Giordano :D.

Nice to have the alliance already, but it seems better if Kyros ends up ruling the Byzantine Empire. Having a Christian emperor would probably make it easier to get future alliances, and it could greatly weaken Orthodoxy.

An exorcist? Who needs him, Chiaffredo is doing great so far being possessed.

Well Visconti arms are not so plentiful to enforce a Catholic Emperor on Byzantium, perhaps if the Empire is weakened it could be a possibility... or if Kyros decides to take matters on his own hands!

The reason of the exorcism will be revealed in the next part :)

A depressed, possessed blackmailer... Chiaffredo is almost as good as Giordano :D.

Yes they are the "gems" of the Visconti!! ;)

Arc 1
Chapter 7

Part 3: The Exorcism of Chiaffredo/ Eliminating the Competition/ The Cessation from the Holy Roman Empire/ For the Defense of the Republic

visco_chapter7_3_1.jpg

(Giotto-Legend of St. Francis- Exorcism of the Demons at Arezzo)

Palermo, Republic of Pisa

After crossing the town and slums of Palermo, their architecture still resembling the Barbary past the city had passed, the older priest arrived before the government seat of Chiaffredo Visconti, Doge Guidice of Sardinia and Doge of Amalfi and Capua (despite the former being a nominal title as Lord Mayor of the town was Cassio Visconti, son of Giordano the named Gold Hound)

There was no need for introductions: showing the seal of the Archbishop of Pisa and the Papal insignia underneath it, the guards gave immediate access to the cleric.

Traversing through mazes and rooms, they finally arrived at the office of the Doge, with him studying yet again for another complaint issued against a local baron. Paperwork would never end…

He lifted his eyes, meeting the figure of the old priest with the vestments. Chiaffredo looked astonished and put down the quill he was writing with. Purple stole, vials of some sort of liquid on his belt, a crucifix on one hand and a book on the other, this man was either a preacher of the word of God to the infidels who lived in Palermo or he was on a witch hunt.

“Doge Chiaffredo, an honor to meet you” he said, breaking the awkward silence which took place as Chiaffredo ogled at the odd priest. He extended his hand and Chiafreddo shook it, dumbstruck

“…welcome, man of the cloth…and you are…”

“Francisco di Orvieto, representative of the Archbishop of Pisa and confidante of His Holiness Pope Nicolaus III Ekeblad…”

visco_chapter7_3_2.jpg

A new Pope? What about…

“Unfortunately the former Pope Clemens III passed away due to fever…there was nothing that we could do to save him, alas…”

Strange enough… and why did…

“The reason of my visit is simple, esteemed Doge. First, I am sad to say that Serene Doge Davide Alliata wished for me to pass you the message of your removal as Chancellor of the Republic…”

Chiaffredo interrupted him

“What?! Why so?! I have done nothing wrong…” he exclaimed

“Allow me to finish. His justification has to do with the very purpose I am here. You see… while God may have gifted you with the talent of using words and expressing them in a poetic manner as well, still...."

"....the offices of Chancellor, a representative of the Republic and a playwright are conflicting. More so when the Chancellor of the Republic supports the Jews, the very men who , if we put aside all their grievances, have collaborated with the Muslims for the plight of the Republic…”

How ludicrous?!

“…and…the deeper root from which stems this aversion to the Church and its tenets can only be traced to the one rumor which has been circulating into the ears of all and has reached now even His Holiness himself…”

“…that is…?” questioned Chiaffredo

“…your allegiance to the Prince of Lies. You support the Jews, you have never once donated a single coin to the Catholic Church and you deny repeatedly your family members to join Holy Orders in the defense of our faith….”

visco_chapter7_3_3.jpg

“You collaborate with the schismatic Greeks and arrange marriages with them…”

“.. But Prince Kyros has…”

“Prince Kyros would say anything to get the throne of the Greeks. Did you believe him? He would denounce his oath the moment he sat on the Imperial Throne.”

“Furthermore, it is said you hold a false relic in your possession and claim it is true, gaining profit from it…simony at its best…”

Only one man knew about the Skull of John the Baptist…and that would be no other than Cardinal Ubaldo Panico, of the cadet branch of Visconti. He was the traitor behind it all, sold his soul for a chance to become the Preferatus that is certain!

“You are neither naive nor foolish to believe you could have escaped the Papacy’s eyes…so therefore….”

Chiaffredo folded his arms. Was there more?

“…you are to return to Pisa at once and put yourself into the rite of Exorcism.”

“What if I refuse?” said Chiaffredo. He stared at the priest, waiting his reply

“….I will inform His Holiness of your denial and he will proceed on your excommunication, not to mention your imminent arrest and trial as a warlock… mind you, the papers are ready…”

“This is blackmail!! This is…”

“As you have laid your bed, so you shall rest upon it. But the choice is yours… deny Satan and embrace the faith again or there will be consequences…” said the priest while embracing the book in his left hand.

Chiaffredo sighed. How blacker could his life be.

“If I am to accept…what will this rite demand of me?”

The priest smirked, then opened the book he was holding. He read out loud the specific rite and in the end, he summarized in plain words

“The ritual will take place in the Battistero di San Giovanni, the Pisa Baptistry of St. John. You will arrive with a thin white robe and will become baptized again, denying your connection to the Devil thrice and then the ceremony will proceed as it is written…”

“You wish me to arrive unclothed before the eyes of all Pisans, me, the Chancellor of the Republic?! What you would have me do then afterwards, scrub the floor and clear the dung from the stables?!” said Chiaffredo.

“Be humble my child… you should know…. that His Holiness favors to break the pride of haughty men personally, as to make the sinners repent for one of the seven mortal sins…don’t let it be you… I shall await you in Pisa in six months from now. Should you refuse…you have been warned….” the priest said and exited.

Six months later in Pisa

“Hear ye! Hear ye! The Doge Chiaffredo Visconti will put himself into the Rite of Exorcism and be baptized again!! Do not miss this!!”

People flocked for this peculiar event at the Pisa Baptistry of St. John. First the play of the “Merchant of Pisa”, now this? Was this all a new collaboration with the Church to ensure popularity for the next elections?

visco_chapter7_3_4.jpg

As it seemed, Tedice della Gherardesca would be the new Doge- Elect of the Republic, followed by the senile Caetani capofamiglia, with Chiaffredo following. Both the Gherardesca and the Caetani had funded significantly their campaign, as they lacked any real position in the Council of the Republic. Perhaps this would change with the dismissal of Chiaffredo from the position of Chancellor?

The people assembled and the liturgy began. It did not take long for Chiaffredo Visconti, once the Chancellor of the Republic and esteemed diplomat, speechwriter and playwright, to come before this holy place with barely the minimum of clothes required. As he proceeded towards the Baptistry, some sniggered at the sight, he who was so high to be humiliated in such a fashion.

Chiaffredo continued with a bowed head and looked at the baptism basin. He looked upon his reflection, a tired, behumbled man with only a robe to hide his private parts.

“Let us proceed with the Rite and you to be reborn a Christian again” said the priest who was send to him in Palermo. He opened the book, the Malleus Diaboli and began to chant the essential psalms.

Chiaffredo stood silent in the basin. The priest anointed him with holy water and oil thrice, then began to chant again.

He rose his eyes and looked at the crowd. Some looked in anticipation, whether an evil spirit would leave Chiaffredo’s body, some trying to hold their laughter with the scene. Something inside him stirred. He began to feel anger, resentment.

Before he knew, he saw his palms bleeding and blood dripped from his ears. The people gasped.

“Vade retro!! He is bleeding! He…”

Chiaffredo remembered the physician’s words. Obviously the pressure of the situation made the “stale” blood want to come out again… the water of the basin became red and the crowd began to shout in fear.

I have them. Let us be done with this joke

He began to howl like a werewolf and scream obscenities. The priest showed him the sign of the cross again and again, chanting more intensely. Chiaffredo responded with blasphemy. He continued until he felt his powers leave him and he collapsed in the basin…

visco_chapter7_3_5.jpg

“He is awake!!”

Chiaffredo began to open his eyes, trying to recall where he was. He saw his family, even Aurelia, his de facto divorced wife, around him, as he lied on his bed in his room in the Visconti Palace in Pisa. He was glad to see friendly faces for once.

Then though he spotted Cardinal Ubaldo Panico, his court chaplain, who began to approach him

“My Doge, dear kinsman, I am so pleased to see you are better!! Serene Doge Davide Alliata reinstalled you as Chancellor and once you have recovered, he is awaiting your services, I….”

visco_chapter7_3_6.jpg

Chiaffredo rose from his bed and grasped the Cardinal from his robe.

“You bastard!! Do you think I don’t know what you did and how you collaborated with the priest of the Archbishop?! You spilled your beans to become the Pope’s favorite and sold the Familia!!”

“I am sorry, I…”

“I could have your head as capofamiglia!! Leave us!!” he roared and his relatives in panic left the room

Once they were alone, Chiaffredo continued

“Names! I want names…obviously you were not alone into this..speak, now!”

Cardinal Ubaldo trembled and spoke

“….Tedice…Tedice della Gherardesca…”

“That zealous buffoon…he is done…”

visco_chapter7_3_7.jpg

“….Guigliadore…Guigliadore Caetani…”

Chiaffredo cackled

“Always a Caetani behind it all… done as well…”

visco_chapter7_3_8.jpg

“….and….Conone…Conone d’Appiano…”

“That pathetic little worm…the Doge of Tripolitana…he will have a special gift for this…”

……………………………………………….

After the string of unfortunate accidents that befell the head of two of the most prominent Patrician Familias, Serene Doge Davide issued increased patrols in the city, suspecting their consequent execution was not by chance but rather someone had put his hand on it. In secret, he had placed informants to look out on Doge Chiaffredo, believing he was behind it all, despite his obvious exorcism and the removal of the evil spirit that haunted him.

Chiaffredo decided to lay low for a while, shifting his attention to the management of the Familia. In his duties to promote the wellbeing of the Visconti, he paid a visit to his sister Francesca, who was the widow of Baldassarre Visconti the Sixth Serene Doge of Pisa. News of her illness had reached him and he hoped with his visit, he would help her recover by assigning his doctors to her ailment. Alas, it would be for naught as she closed her eyes on the age of 66, leaving behind four daughters and one son, Gerardo Visconti, the Steward of the Familia Visconti.

visco_chapter7_3_9.jpg

Some months later from the death of Francesca Visconti, news arrived of the result of the war for the Bohemian League of Independence. The Premyslids were successful in their uprising, with the Kingdom of Bohemia, the Duchy of Tuscany and the Duchy of Provence gaining independence from the sovereignty of the Holy Roman Empire. With the Holy Roman Empire becoming a distant neighbor, the politics of Pisa were expected to be influenced by this event.

visco_chapter7_3_10.jpg

On 1
st January 1166 the Republic of Pisa celebrated one hundred years of its de jure existence, breaking free from the laws that dictated it to be part of the Kingdom of Italy and furthermore to the Holy Roman Empire.

Indeed, the success of the Bohemian League of Independence began the movement of doubting the presence of the Empire in Italy, with Tuscany being the first Duchy in mainland Italy to stop associating itself with the German Emperors.
In other news, Basileus Konstantios admitted his defeat over the Norman King for Lecce and submitted to the demands of Photios Angelos, reducing the crown authority of the Basileia and was forced to announce an embarrassing speech in the Hippodrome, disqualifying Prince Kyros from the succession to the Basileia as he had collaborated with the Pope for the union of the Churches under Papal authority. Prince Kyros did not take the news well and spend his time in the court of the Visconti drinking his troubles and procreating, leading to the birth of his firstborn daughter Xene Doukas, a scrawny creature.

visco_chapter7_3_11.jpg

At the dawn of 20 October 1166, ill news of the death of Serene Doge Davide Alliata became rampart in the city. With the excuse of the death of Tedice and Guigliadore, he had issued a de facto martial law, staining his name and was later known for as “the Cruel” , with rumors of him delighting in torturing the imprisoned himself. His physical prowess perhaps aided in the particular rumor to be spread.

Chiaffredo had spend a modest sum on his election campaign, being certain that the position of Doge- Elect was his, as he was the Chancellor of the Republic and a reborn Christian. However at the last moment, Conone d’Appiano, the Doge of Tripolitana, began to spread bread en masse to the people of Pisa and managed to grasp the position from the hands of Chiaffredo. It was therefore with surprise that Conone d’Appiano was elected the new Serene Doge of the Republic.

But he is just a youngling! Chiaffredo thought… this must be remedied…

visco_chapter7_3_12.jpg

No sooner had Conone warmed the seat of Serene Doge, Chiaffredo began plotting, taking advantage of his connections and experience. The perfect moment arrived when Serene Doge Conone d’Appiano, in order to appease Chiaffredo, offered him again the position of Chancellor of the Republic. He accepted, reinforcing his plotting position with the innermost connections of the Council of Pisa. The date was arranged and the “accident” would occur on the day of the public acceptance of the position of Chancellor. Only the details would be left to iron out…

visco_chapter7_3_13.jpg

23 April 1167

Piazza del Duomo ,Pisa

“It is with sheer delight that I, Conone d’Appiano, bestow the title of Chancellor to one of the most esteemed men of our glorious Republic, to Chiaffredo Visconti, a man who was proven himself capable on surviving all hardships. A Brother in Christ, I am sure he will continue to serve our Republic for years to come!”

The people cheered and applauded. Conone smiled with satisfaction, the beast Chiaffredo would be tamed with titles he thought. Chiaffredo smiled back, Conone’s time was at hand he thought himself.

Chiaffredo bowed and clutched his cap on his hand, as Conone brought the scroll on his two hands. Chiaffredo almost prostrated himself when suddenly, the eerie sound of arrows being shot was heard. In seconds, Conone let the scroll fall down from his grasp, looking at the two arrows which had pierced his chest. He did not have the time to utter a word

Screams and panic took place.

Chiaffredo rose and shouted “Defend the Republic!! Defend the Serene Doge!!”. He fell upon the body of the young Conone, as to protect him from “further fire”. He looked into his eyes then gave a diabolical smirk.

“You are done…”

Concealed by standing upon him, Chiaffredo pressed the arrows further into Conone, twisting them. Moments later, the young Serene Doge gave his last breath….

Last edited:
The Holy Roman Empire is not doing too well right now. Will they recover, or will one of the Roman Empire's successors fall?

Loved Chiaffredo's baptism. He seemed to have fun with it. Surely after Conone's "unfortunate" demise, Chiaffredo will be rewarded for his continued loyalty.

The Holy Roman Empire is not doing too well right now. Will they recover, or will one of the Roman Empire's successors fall?

Loved Chiaffredo's baptism. He seemed to have fun with it. Surely after Conone's "unfortunate" demise, Chiaffredo will be rewarded for his continued loyalty.

The Holy Roman Empire is plagued time to time with demands to lower crown authority but the league of independence was newfound and the most successful of all. However they are far from disintegration, their own Pope helps the money to be kept in the Empire than go at Rome's coffers.

Glad you like the scene of the baptism! He sure did put a show, involuntarily at first, for the gawky eyes of the Pisan people. And Chiaffredo is the second most prestigious man of the Republic.. :)

Sweet revenge...

Reactions:
Arc I
Chapter 7

Part 4: Dictator for Life/ The Trial for High Treason of Chiaffredo Visconti/ Scramble for Anatolia/ The Vendetta d’Appiano – Et tu?/ New Allies/ The Third Crusade for Jerusalem and the Holy War for Alexandria

visco_chapter4_4_c.jpg
Meanwhile in a tavern

During the events that took place in the Piazza del Duomo, not all were inclined to take part in the festival held in honor of Chiaffredo and his (third) installation as Chancellor of the Republic. Some preferred to drown their vices in the many seedy establishments of Pisa by playing cards, drinking their troubles and other activities reserved for those who were not regular attendants of the Church.

Two guards were off duty, drinking at the bar their favored wine and relaxing after a strenuous day of duty. They hoped with Serene Doge Conone, the patrols would decrease and they would return to their usual schedule, before the alleged “accidents”. As they were minding their own business, a patron seemed on the verge of blacking out from excessive drinking, ale after ale being consumed as if he was a thirsty man from the desert.

“That’s enough of your drinking… I hardly can believe you can pay for what you have ordered…. you will be cleaning the mugs once the shop is closed, that is certain…” said the tavernkeeper.

He attempted to take the mug from the drunken patron’s hand, however the patron refused and grabbed the tavernkeeper from his shirt

“Hands off the liquor there, friend! Do you know who I am? I am Alberto di Pisa!!”

“And I am the King of the Saxons… your breath stinks of beer! That’s it, no more!”

The drunkard took out a pouch of money and spilled it right at the bar. The tavernkeeper’s eyes flashed immediately and grabbed as many coins as he could. If that fool would spend all his money on the drink…so be it…

“I am Alberto di Pisa!! Assistant to Doge Chiaffredo and accomplice of…. the great catch!! We will fish out a good urchin and become masters of the fishmonger house!!”

One guard motioned the other towards Alberto di Pisa…what was he babbling about?

“Sir…you have us puzzled…what does Doge Chiaffredo have to do with fishmongers and urchins? Are you a fisherman?”

Alberto roared a laugh

“Hahaha...silly guardsmen…I am only the cartographer, others will be the fishermen… poor Conone…what a poor little urchin you will become… but the fishmonger house must be run by someone else…”

Serene Doge Conone?

“You are thickskulls aren’t you? Someone big will pass a hook on Conone’s lips and he will be swimming with the fishes!!

Alberto laughed in a drunken stupor. He then vomited at the floor and tried to recall what he just said… he gave a look of horror at the guards, who managed to interpret the innuendo and went running off at the plaza

visco_chapter7_4_1.jpg

The guards ran at the streets of Pisa like no tomorrow. Once they reached the Piazza, they saw the body of Conone draped in a red cloak and the people were chanting Chiaffredo! Chiaffredo!

Upon the platform, Chiaffredo wore the insignia of the Republic of Pisa and was delivering a speech

“Our times are difficult and only I can lead you and bring the murders of poor Conone to justice! I thank you for the honor of electing me Dictator for Life in Pisa!!”

visco_chapter7_4_2.jpg

“Of course you can!! Because you are the one who killed him!!” said the guards and pointed at Serene Doge Chiaffredo

The people looked puzzled and Chiaffredo took a feint expression of shock

“Me?! Oh surely you must be hallucinating… I was right here when the murder took place! I barely saved myself from the incoming fire!!”

“Maybe because you knew about it…Alberto di Pisa confessed everything in the tavern after becoming drunk on your money!!”

That idiot blabbermouth!!

“Who is that man? I do not know him…”

The Great Catch is over Visconti!! Step down and we assure you will only be hanged than beheaded for the crime you have just committed!!”

“Fleeting words…a drunk, what a useful witness!! Maybe he saw me riding a unicorn too?!” he said and chuckled mockingly. The people laughed in ridicule as well

Suddenly from another street, four more guardsmen appeared, having detained in their arms a hooded man.

“We have here a Merry Man of Pisa who was caught running from another direction, bow and arrows on him. And he mentioned your name…coincidence?”

visco_chapter7_4_3.jpg

The evidence adding up was becoming to be more than circumstantial. The people eyed Chiaffredo and there was stirring. Could it be? Could Chiaffredo actually commit murder to seize the Republic?

With a nod a group of men came out from the public, putting their robes aside and revealed themselves, armed to the teeth and bearing the Visconti rooster coat of arms. They surrounded Chiaffredo and stood their position

“I am Dictator for Life, elected to deal with this crisis on our hands. You accuse me of High Treason and murder of the former Serene Doge? Fine, I will grant you your wish and stand trial for my accusation. But until the court is assembled, I have full right as Serene Doge to establish the Council of the Republic till the day arrives!”

Despite the bizarre situation, Chiaffredo was right. The Republic could not have a vacuum in position until there was a replacement. The guards lowered their resolve but held both Alberto and the Merry Man in custody.

The time limit for Chiaffredo to retain his position till the trial enabled him to win a significant amount of time to place in key positions people who were loyal to him and could tip the result in his favor. Of course, he took in mind the skills of those who would serve in the Council but on general terms they were men who were neutral or positive to Chiaffredo’s interests.

As such, Chancellor of the Republic was named Artemio della Gherardesca, the capofamiglia and third most respected man in Pisa, Marshal was Napoleone, Lord Mayor of Piombino, Steward of the Republic was Cassio Visconti, as well as High Judge of the Republic, Spymaster was Ermenegildo of Volterra and finally Court Chaplain the Esteemed Cardinal Ubaldo Panico, also State Inquisitor of the Republic.

visco_chapter7_4_5.jpg

Having bought the loyalty of the della Gherardesca with a position in the Council, Chiaffredo went about to ensure Alliata cooperation by naming State Inquisitor their capofamiglia, Lord Mayor Baldovino Alliata of Malta. He also proceeded with the wedding of his niece Paola, who was rumored maliciously to be an inbred offspring of Baldassarre and Francesca, with Igino Alliata, the docile son of Davide Alliata, who was, before Conone, Serene Doge. Both were bound by a betrothal by the word of Serene Doge Davide Alliata, so in honor of his memory, the wedding went as planned.

visco_chapter7_4_6.jpg

The Trial of Chiaffredo

With such connections it was no wonder that the Trial of Chiaffredo, despite being a major event in the Republic, was examined hastily and the damning evidence overruled. High Judge Cassio, in order to make the final decision, called for a trial by ordeal and summoned Chiaffredo to retrieve the Ring of the Republic from a hot burning cauldron. Should he recover it with no wounds, he would be deemed innocent, if not he would be sentenced to death.

visco_chapter7_4_7.jpg

(Ordeal of boiling water, illustration from manuscript. Germany cc. 1350-1375)

The cauldron was placed and the water was at boiling point. The Republic and its damn laws Chiaffredo thought. How could they expect for him to come out unscratched from this trial? He wondered if his cousin Cassio eyed his position and wanted to exterminate him through crime and punishment.

Inside him though he heard a calling. He felt as time had passed and an image called for him

You have done many errors Chiaffredo but you can be saved…trust me…

The image extended his hand, which Chiaffredo took. Before he knew, he heard the gasp of the people and he had retrieved the ring from the bottom of the cauldron with no trace of a boil or blister. Chiaffredo knew then that the voice was no other than Jesus himself.

visco_chapter7_4_8.jpg

He cried on the spot, kissing the ring and kneeling by the floor of the courthouse. In one commotion, the crowd applauded and shouted Innocente! Innocente!

The d’Appiano stormed outside the room, saying it was all staged and vowed for a vendetta against Chiaffredo and they would not rest until the price was paid in blood. It was fortunate that head of the d’Appiano was Cosma, Doge of Tripolitana, a man scared of his own shadow, or else open conflict would have ensured in Pisa.

While Pisa was in the brink of civil war, due to the innocence of Chiaffredo and his return as Serene Doge of Pisa, the guest of the Visconti, Prince Kyros Doukas, died in his sleep only at his twenty fifth year of his life. Some say his exclusion from the succession of the Basileia cost his life, others that he was poisoned by Greek agents. He did not even have the time to raise his two daughters into adulthood.

visco_chapter7_4_9.jpg

However the same fate befell his brother, Basileus Konstantios IV Doukas while he was campaigning on the mountains of Anatolia, to ward off the Invasion the Seljuks had commenced. Chiaffredo received the news while the Pisan fleet had crossed into the Black Sea, ready to reinforce the Byzantine troops. Konstantios IV was succeeded by his child, Anthimos II , who was firmly placed under the regency of the Dynast Photios Angelos of Nicea, the general who fought against the Visconti Catholicocracy.

visco_chapter7_4_10.jpg

Scramble for Anatolia

When hearing news of the demise of Basileus Konstantios IV and on the throne was a child-Emperor, who faced recently a crushing defeat at the outskirts of Koloneia, Caliph Abderahman of Egypt, the ill- Ruler, saw an opportunity for the Shia to expand their demesne, cutting the Empire in half and isolating Antioch. He called for a Jihad for all Shia faithful and with full force, he passed through Antioch uncontested and into the Anatolian highlands.

visco_chapter7_4_11.jpg

Truly, it would seem the Lord had decided that Anatolia would be lost from the Christians and it would fall unto Mohamedan hands. Yet at the moment when everything but a glimmer of hope had vanished, the religion passions of Shia and Sunni arose and the Egyptians entered into open conflict with the Turks, fighting over who would be the master of Anatolia. The Byzantines rejoiced as news of the battle in Kaisareia reached them: it did not matter who won but rather that the Muslims were fighting themselves!

visco_chapter7_4_12.jpg

It was definitely a sign from Jesus himself, Chiaffredo thought, and as commanded by the voice of the Lord, he donated a vast amount of his coffers to the poor and needy of Pisa. He also proceeded in reforms focused on decentralizing the Republic and dubbed his son Chiaffredo II as the Duke of Capua, a lord on his own right. Likewise, he created the title of Doge of Tunis and bestowed it upon the Lord Mayor of Tunis, ensuring his loyalty and safekeeping of this valued province of the Republic.

However blood could not be turned unto water and despite his newfound charity, Spymaster Ermenegildo uncovered a nefarious plot that only a craven d’Appiano could hatch: Chiaffredo would die by poison at an upcoming banquet he would host, in honor of his betrothal with the daughter of the German Kaiser Dietmar the Cruel Hrabisic. Indeed, Aurelia his wife, the one he had divorced de facto, died a natural death aged sixty nine and what better way to secure Pisa than by allying the Holy Roman Empire, who where brothers in Catholic Faith.

Of course this turn of diplomacy from the Holy Father of Rome to the advocates of Free Investiture, championed by the German Kaiser, did take by surprise the politicians of Pisa. Was it a political maneuver to break the smothering embrace of the Papacy? Chiaffredo did not comment, saying that the voice of Jesus advised him to do so, implying that the Papacy itself had turned from God and the Germans had found the true meaning of the Faith.

visco_chapter7_4_13.jpg

The Vendetta d’Appiano – Et tu?

To his surprise, Chiaffredo was informed that amongst the conspirators was his son Ausonio, the amateurish plotter. He called for his son immediately at the Palace of the Republic, waiting to judge by his own person whether his son was directly implicated in this scheme or it was a false report… perhaps give him a second chance, per the voice’s insistence.

Ausonio arrived and greeted his father. However Chiaffredo kept his distance and only said : Et tu Ausonio?

His eyes widened, relating the sentence to the famous treachery of Brutus to Julius Caesar. He broke into tears and asked his father for forgiveness, saying he was mislead by the bad companies of the Caetani and the d’Appiano, the latter being distant relatives once upon a time. Chiaffredo was quick to forgive him but asked him never to repeat the same mistake again. The same though was not done for the other conspirators, Patrician Leone Caetani and Doge Cosma d’Appiano. Both of them refused to withdraw their support and Chiaffredo commanded their return to Pisa in chains.

The guards managed with relative ease to capture Leone but Cosma, out of pride for the Familia, refused to surrender and declared an uprising against the Republic and specifically against the rule of Chiaffredo Visconti. The war lasted only two years, with Cosma being granted amnesty for his revolt, as a series of events would make Chiaffredo close this front with the unruly d’Appiano and focus his attention elsewhere entirely

visco_chapter7_4_14.jpg

New Allies

During the turbulent era with the revolt of Cosma d’Appiano against the Serene Doge, Ludmila Hrabisic came of age and to Chiaffredo’s delight, she was exceptionally tutored in the arts of accounting and keeping ledgers. However, her talent was wasted by being just and slothful, not to mention her insatiable hunger and quickness to anger. Despite these flaws, for she tried to hide them in public view, Chiaffredo was content and proceeded for the first time in the history of the Republic to form an alliance with the Holy Roman Empire, only some years away from being, by law, an alien territory from it. Kaiser Dietmar gladly accepted, perhaps foreseeing into Pisan arms to reinforce him when he made the move to bring back the Duchies of Tuscany and Provence back to the Imperial fold.

In his lifetime, Chiaffredo and Ludmila had two children: Argentina, the clubfooted and Alessio, the ill one. Chiaffredo had barely the time to witness their growth as he would become engaged with a war which was the persistence of the Visconti for generations…

visco_chapter7_4_15.jpg

The Third Crusade for Jerusalem and the Holy War for Alexandria

visco_chapter7_4_16.jpg

A year before he closed his eyes, Pope Nicolaus III declared a Crusade against Caliph Abderahman of Egypt for Jerusalem, the third of its kind. As before, he promised absolution of all sins to its participants and the chance to recover the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth. Customarily, few Kings and Dukes heeded the call and it was mainly the Irish who pledged from the start their support.

Chiaffredo was torn inside him. The Glory of God beckoned him but could he pledge himself in a Crusade sanctioned by the Pope of Rome, the very man the voice had warned him that he had long strayed from His path? Then an idea dawned to him, as if Divine Providence itself.

With the help of his newfound ally and father in law, he would bring the war to the infidels. He would declare a Holy War of his own for Alexandria and the wisdom it held so long from the Visconti. Where his predecessors had failed, he would succeed, for he had Jesus on his side now.

visco_chapter7_4_17.jpg

Unlike the past, the Republic of Pisa stretched from Tunis to Cyrenaica, thanks to the efforts of the Doge Ferdinando Alliata, the successor of Lord Mayor Baldovino of Malta. Chiaffredo promptly named him High Admiral and in charge of the supply of the Pisan and Holy Roman troops, who would land at his domain and then proceed to the deserts of Egypt.

visco_chapter7_4_18.jpg

To his cause rallied the Knights Templar, intrigued by the rumor that Chiaffredo was hearing the Voice of Jesus himself and not through the conduit of the Church. Indeed, their support was crucial in the battle of Fuka, as they stood their ground against the onslaught of the Mamelukes. In this very same battle, Caliph Abderahman was rendered incapable to manage the realm (perhaps to a relief of all the Shia faithful who saw his rule as a contempt to the morals of the religion) and soon passed away at the age of thirty eight.

visco_chapter7_4_19.jpg

Yet even after all these victories, as each castle one after one fell to the Pisans and the Holy Roman troops, and the Egyptians ran scattered to each direction not knowing which front to fight first, Serene Doge Chiaffredo was all but serene. Despite hearing the call of Jesus, he felt his soul empty and devoid of joy. He had it all: three grown sons and a young daughter and son, wealth beyond imagination and he was the most powerful and respected man in the Republic. Was it enough? Even the charities which once filled him, now were the empty sound of coins falling upon a charity basket….

War Camp in El-Alamein

The cheer of the Pisans and the Knights Templar was deafening, as the white flag of surrender flew on the parapets of the Shia Castle of El- Alamein. The defenders opened the gates and exited, without their weapons and their arms upon their head.

The Headmaster of the Knights Templar nodded with approval. The might of the Caliphate was beginning to crumble under the sheer pressure of the Republic, the Holy Roman Empire and the Crusaders who were making their way towards the Holy Land. He thought perhaps one day, he would see in his lifetime Jerusalem restored to the Catholic faith.

He rode with his horse to the tent of the Serene Doge. He was nowhere to be found. Upon his desk, an open letter struggled not to fly away from the wind of the sand. Curiously he began to read

“ To whom it may concern,

As our Lord Jesus Christ went to the desert to test himself against temptation, so too I have set on His path on this endless sand to search for my soul. Am I in Heaven or in Hell? I have fought for the Familia, I have fought for gold, for seats and offices. I have lied and killed. For what? I have been tested so many times for the Lord and I have been found worthy. Yet I cannot know what I feel… the Voice does not speak….

Do not search me, for I will not return.

Chiaffredo Visconti”

The letter was sent with haste to Cassio Visconti, the sottocapo of the Familia Visconti and Doge-Elect of the Republic, in Amalfi. He was concerned with the news but knew of Chiaffredo and his troubled soul. With the document, as High Judge of Pisa, he proclaimed Chiaffredo legally dead and assumed his office of Serene Doge.

With the first ship, he sailed to Pisa , this time as the new head both of the Familia and the Republic, becoming the captain beckoned to ride the waves as the eleventh Serene Doge of Pisa

visco_chapter7_4_20.jpg

Another Crusade for Jerusalem while a Jihad tries to divide the Byzantine Empire... At least things stay lively. I like how, after being denied the chance to be his family's heir, Cassio now rules the Republic. What will he accomplish in his reign? Can he succeed in the holy war, gaining more territory for Pisa?

Speaking of territory, could we get a screenshot of what Pisa looks like now?

While Chiaffredo hears Jesus, another family gains power...
Where do the Hrabisic come from and how did they end up Holy Roman Emperors?