• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((OOC:
1. I don't know about realism in the UK

2. Here I think it makes sense that there would be internal strife and there should be electoral penalties (Labour faced many disasters due to not following it members will and creating infighting historically), but do you need to add anything more than that? ))

Mr. Speaker, the amendment added to the Housing Act by the Liberal Party will totally cripple the intent of the bill, which is to raise home ownership in this country substantially, especially amongst the working class, as it will create infinitely long waitlists for potential buyers as councils struggle to keep up with the number of people buying their own homes.

((Nay and nay.

How's that for indecisive?))

((2. Here I think it makes sense that there would be internal strife and there should be electoral penalties (Labour faced many disasters due to not following it members will and creating infighting historically), but do you need to add anything more than that? ))

((Please, please save it for the UK politics thread.

I don't want the debate here, but this is just wrong.))

Reactions:
Lastly, I wish to address the coments made by the Honourable Member for Dageham. I must advise the Honourable Gentleman to read the bills proposed before allegating that this Government is conducting a policy of verelendung, since, if he had read or understood the bill, which both seem most questionable scenarios, he would have seen that this bill exempts the working and middle class home owners from the Capital Gains Tax, thereby guarenteeing them more after-tax real income than without the reform. And if the Honourable Gentleman for Dageham is so keen to describe the working and middle class home owners as private interests, I do ask him to discover for whom he actually serves as Member of Parliament.
Mr. Speaker,
Let me remind the Rt. Hon. President of the Board of Trade that together with the Capital Gains Tax Reform the Entrepeneurs' Relief Act was presented to this house. Furthermore, before answering, he should perhaps try to understand the immense gaps of wages and inequalities workers are suffering from today, due to the actions of his party together with Labour. Ignoring that is to ignore the fundamental flaws of the capitalistic policies the Tory Party is carrying, which has consistently been done by the party.

I also find it very ironic that the Rt. Hon Member decided to ask me for whom I serve in Parliament, given the imperialist and jingoist rhetoric, mimicked to Washington's, his party presented in the General Elections, making it once again obvious under whom he himself serves. The stance of the united Labour Movement couldn't be clearer and contrast more to that platform and rhetoric.

- Jarlath Connor, General Secretary of the Communist Party of Great Britain, MP for Dagenham

((Nay and nay.

How's that for indecisive?))

((What he said. For the love of Pitt, the Queen, and All That Is British, I oppose both ridiculous proposals; this is not the United States, after all.))

Reactions:

((I didn't want to start a debate either, so don't worry ;) And anyway it has already been discussed in the thread you are referring to))

((I think the current system where people can rebel against the whips and shoot down policies that are too radical or go against established party positions resembles the real situation far more than a point based system ever could.))

Reactions:
Mr. Speaker, the amendment added to the Housing Act by the Liberal Party will totally cripple the intent of the bill, which is to raise home ownership in this country substantially, especially amongst the working class, as it will create infinitely long waitlists for potential buyers as councils struggle to keep up with the number of people buying their own homes.
Mastar Speekar, tha intant was tae insure th'at Councils dunna sall tae mach housang and thas create a defacat ein social housang. Eit is no' a political move tae kill tha intant, as eit eis a preposal th'at we as a partie support. Eit eis merarlie intandang tae ensure th'at, as the Rite honourable gentalman sayes, to create a sustainable housang systam. Eif tha Premier Ministar were tae create anathar waye to ensure housang sustainabilatie, I wuld be most recaptave.

((Calling any of my proposals "ridiculous" will earn you a spot in the Tower. Tread lightly.))

So in other words, the intent of this bill is to gradually get rid of social housing in Britain? While the newly purchasable homes may be affordable now with the provided discount, how does the Government intend to provide the lower and middle classes of tomorrow with affordable housing? Personally, while I find the envisioned discounts a nice teaser, I will not sell out the working class of the 1980's and their chances to find a home for a mere discount.

We must keep social housing available for all who need them. We should not, under no circumstances and no matter how high your bribe, create an artificial shortage of homes for our youth to live in. The Amendment is vital and I will not support the Bill without it.

Mastar Speekar, tha intant was tae insure th'at Councils dunna sall tae mach housang and thas create a defacat ein social housang. Eit is no' a political move tae kill tha intant, as eit eis a preposal th'at we as a partie support. Eit eis merarlie intandang tae ensure th'at, as the Rite honourable gentalman sayes, to create a sustainable housang systam. Eif tha Premier Ministar were tae create anathar waye to ensure housang sustainabilatie, I wuld be most recaptave.

"Mr. Speaker, by re-investing funds from the sale of properties directly back into the housing programme we will ensure that social housing projects remain a significant part of local policy. While I am sure the Honourable Member opposite is well meaning, in practice his proposal will create monumental wait times and delay substaintially the ability of people to purchase their own homes."

Communist Drivel
- The Personification of the Stalin and Gulag Fan Club

Mr. Speaker,

My father always told me that while wresteling with a pig in the mud it may seem like you are winning, but after hours and hours you will see that you yourself have become muddied in the process and that the pig, no matter how muddied he is, likes it. However, as my father, I am a stubborn man. (Laughing from both sides of the House) Returning to the comments made by the Honourable Member for Dageham (As Thornbloom snickers himself, the House continues their laughter), he must understand that both parts of this act do increase the after-tax real income of working and middle class home owners, which battles inequality on a large scale across the United Kingdom, far more, at the very least, than the Honourable Member has achieved in his time in this Chamber with these baseless and useless comments regarding our domestic and foreign policy.

The Rt. Hon. David Thornbloom MP FRS FRES,
President of the Board of Trade

Last edited:
So in other words, the intent of this bill is to gradually get rid of social housing in Britain? While the newly purchasable homes may be affordable now with the provided discount, how does the Government intend to provide the lower and middle classes of tomorrow with affordable housing? Personally, while I find the envisioned discounts a nice teaser, I will not sell out the working class of the 1980's and their chances to find a home for a mere discount.

We must keep social housing available for all who need them. We should not, under no circumstances and no matter how high your bribe, create an artificial shortage of homes for our youth to live in. The Amendment is vital and I will not support the Bill without it.

"Mr. Speaker, I will remind the Honourable Member that money from the sale of social housing to their tenants will go directly back into the social housing programme. Imposing arbitrary quotas on the ability of tenants to purchase their own homes will fix nothing, as it will ensure only a tiny minority of the most lucky of tenants will be able to buy. We want everyone to have the same opportunities regardless of where they live and how many houses their local council happen to build that year."

"Mr. Speaker, I will remind the Honourable Member that money from the sale of social housing to their tenants will go directly back into the social housing programme. Imposing arbitrary quotas on the ability of tenants to purchase their own homes will fix nothing, as it will ensure only a tiny minority of the most lucky of tenants will be able to buy. We want everyone to have the same opportunities regardless of where they live and how many houses their local council happen to build that year."
Mastar speekar, I understand tha quarms af tha rite honourable gentalman, howevar tha amendment eitsalf staets th'at a quota mast bee created tae ensure sustainabalatie. Thar eis no clause statang th'at thas must bee mat prior tae sail af socal housang, that meerlie tha councils mast keep tae eit. by enshrinang ain law tha need tae replace social housang, a steadie stock wull be maintained. Tha fact thaye can yoouse [use] thar fundang from social housang sales tae buy mere af eit; either completad or no', meens th'at thas quota will be fufilled. As I said, eit eis a quota, meanang eit can last a few yeers without affacting tha 'rite tae buye' as eit werre.

((No and No. I will not elaborate as what I would say has basically already been said.))

PRIVATE EYE

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

AUGUST 1964 — NINEPENCE

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

FRONT PAGE

MEET THE NEW FOREIGN MINISTER

article-0-0F5CC73200000578-757_306x423.jpg

Pherson Macwell, a strong Tory with the beliefs inherent to any true Briton, could often be seen in the back benches visiting Farly McBee prior to this election. However, on the whims of the Right Honourable Ted Redcliffe Jacobs, Macwell has been appointed as the Foreign Minister.

It is expected that Macwell will engage in high-stress foreign discussions revolving around the current theme of international Communist infiltration and decolonialisation with all the furor of Snoopy. While many in the party might sleep around, none do so in such agusto as our newest Foreign Minister, Pherson Macwell.

Reactions:
((I'm going to have to vote no to both proposals. While the first one does seem practical and could serve well to weaken smaller governments, as others have said it doesn't entirely fit the British system. To me it seems that the defining factor for whether a government can pass legislation is how well the whip works. As long as members follow the whip, theoretically even the smallest majority could function harmoniously. Perhaps focus should be shifted to what happens when someone breaks a whip, although that is sort of in place. As for the second proposal, I'm generally against imposing arbitrary restrictions on players. Forcing players down a specific path sort of takes the fun out of carving your own path. Plus, as others have stated, it would be up in the air as to what constitutes conventional policies for each party. However, with that being said, I would not be opposed to penalizing parties that adopt policies that are far beyond what they would ever do, but this would only be for extreme policy changes like the Conservative Party adopting the communist manifesto as their party platform.))

((1: Against. I understand the rationale for the proposal, but I think the weakness of Government's with small majorities is best represented by backbench rebellions.
2: Against. Our timeline is already so divergent from OTL that there's really no point of comparison for saying whether a party's policies conform to tradition, and there would be a lot of subjective wrangling about whether a certain policy, bill or action was in-character or not.))

Shadow Cabinet

Leader of the Opposition: The Rt. Hon. Sylvia Leighton MP ((Syriana))
Deputy Leader:
The Rt. Hon. Alistair Monaghan MP ((Scrapknight))

Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer: The Rt. Hon. Stephen Harwick MP ((LatinKaiser))
Shadow Secretary of State for Foreign, Colonial and Commonwealth Affairs:
The Rt. Hon. Roland Carpenter MP ((jeeshadow))
Shadow Secretary of State for the Home Department:
The Rt. Hon. Alistair Monaghan MP ((Scrapknight))
Shadow Secretary of State for Defence:
The Rt. Hon. Barbara Castle MP
Shadow Secretary of State for Education: The Rt. Hon. Shirley Williams MP
Shadow Secretary of State for Employment and Productivity: The Rt. Hon. John Epping MP ((TheHatMan98))
Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Social Services:
The Rt. Hon. Lachlan Barclay MP ((Gen. Marshall))
Shadow Secretary of State for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food:
The Hon. Joyce Butler MP
Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland: The Rt. Hon. Alice Cullen MP
Shadow Secretary of State for Wales: The Rt. Hon. Megan Lloyd George MP
Shadow Secretary of State for Trade and Industry: The Rt. Hon. Anthony Crosland MP