AI Cheats - Facts and misunderstandings

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
- AI can see through fog of war, but pretends it can't in most cases.
This is pretty much not cheating if they pretend they can't - after all the computer will always know where all your troops, there's no avoiding that.

I don't buy the assertion that it pretends it doesn't. It will react to move orders to attack it from outside its view consistently. Consistently enough, in fact, for me to screw with its pathing or get it to lift sieges without having to go there, turning its cheat on itself.

Reactions:
Good to see that Portugal and Spain won't colonize Alaska and Siberia some day lol

I don't buy the assertion that it pretends it doesn't. It will react to move orders to attack it from outside its view consistently. Consistently enough, in fact, for me to screw with its pathing or get it to lift sieges without having to go there, turning its cheat on itself.
From what I read up-thread, at least some of its "satellite surveillance" land movement reactions are a case of "we do this because not doing it makes some hilarious manoeuvres you'd never pull off against the same human twice work consistently".

There's no way that the AI doesn't get manpower cheats.

While I doubt it does, I don't think you can look at 6 month old documentation and expect it to still be completely accurate, as this game has changed quite a bit in the time since this was last updated.

While I doubt it does, I don't think you can look at 6 month old documentation and expect it to still be completely accurate, as this game has changed quite a bit in the time since this was last updated.

This is, in fact, out of date. The FAQ subforum version was updated a few months ago to remove the colonial range bonus.

- AI gets less native uprisings, because it is less than optimal at keeping its colonies garrisoned.

How about just decreasing native hostility in NA provinces? Africa gets colonized way too early. Where is the file to edit this or if it is hardcoded, what percentage of "less native uprisings" do the AI get? I just need to know how much I have to increase native hostility in Africa by.

- AI gets +25% colonial range to make it better at competing in the colonization game.

So that's another reason why AI Spain starts colonizing Asia in the 1500's while completely ignoring what they should be doing, conquering Mexico. I want to remove this by the way, which file?

This thread is nearly two years out of date. And the native uprising thing isn't a "cheat" anymore, it's a mechanic. Choosing the "native co-existence" colonisation policy (which the ai always picks) stops you from getting any uprisings.

Reactions:
- AI gets +25% colonial range to make it better at competing in the colonization game.

So that's another reason why AI Spain starts colonizing Asia in the 1500's while completely ignoring what they should be doing, conquering Mexico. I want to remove this by the way, which file?

One is not related to the other in any shape or form.

- AI gets less native uprisings, because it is less than optimal at keeping its colonies garrisoned.

How about just decreasing native hostility in NA provinces? Africa gets colonized way too early. Where is the file to edit this or if it is hardcoded, what percentage of "less native uprisings" do the AI get? I just need to know how much I have to increase native hostility in Africa by.
Under the current rules, the AI always chooses the colonial policy that provides total immunity to native uprisings; you can too, if you want to. Please note that using that policy is less profitable, in the long run, than sending troops to defend your colonies properly.

It's hard-coded; you'll need to write a triggered modifier with a trigger of ai = yes to apply a corresponding penalty.

If you want AI Spain to exert itself to take over Mexico, you could try writing a high-weight mission encouraging it to do so; the AI really likes doing what its missions tell it to do.

Reactions:
Apparently the colonial range bonus isn't there anymore, and the native uprising cheats definitely doesn't exist anymore, it's a very legit native policy. Necroing threads can lead to misinformation :p

I'm confused. Players can get events for manpower while at war.

This is a very old thread, which perhaps should not be resurrected. This sister thread is newer and stickied, though still pretty old.

I'm confused. Players can get events for manpower while at war.
Yes that does happen occasionally and is usually very welcome. What does not happen for the player is gaining 20-50k manpower in 2 months several times over the course of one war, while your maximum is about 80k and gaining 800 per month. I've seen this over several games now, and it only happens vs lucky nations. I can understand one small increase from estates(does the AI use them?), an event from idea(s) or maybe something unique to certain nations, but seeing it grow far above the normal gain on so many occasions makes me question if the AI does not cheat on manpower if certain conditions are met vs player. Now I don't mind if this is the case, I just want clarification on what conditions have to be met in order for this to happen.

Thank you SeekTruthFromFx, I posted it there instead.