AGOT devs - how are you going to handle the "Ser" title in given CK3's changes to the minor title system?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One of the Dev's has a lil injoke in his name so i assume you might be able to play with that to make it work? (its meneth i believe) the vanity character has 'Tiny' before his name and it ports over to whatever he winds up as. say hes given a lordship he would become "Tiny _____ Lord of Caithness" so maybe that could be used for something like Ser?. that way it'd be Ser Tywin Lannister of The Westerlands.

Or have i completely misunderstood aha?.

One of the Dev's has a lil injoke in his name so i assume you might be able to play with that to make it work? (its meneth i believe) the vanity character has 'Tiny' before his name and it ports over to whatever he winds up as. say hes given a lordship he would become "Tiny _____ Lord of Caithness" so maybe that could be used for something like Ser?. that way it'd be Ser Tywin Lannister of The Westerlands.

Hmm I can take a look at the files and see if I can find out how they are accomplishing this. Do you know which character?

Sadly this is a nickname, not a title... it's in the nickname file:
Code:
# Misc & Easter Egg
nick_tiny = { is_prefix = yes }
nick_little = { is_prefix = yes }
nick_the_viking = {}

Yep. nicknames can be used for titling landless characters. I have been using it for stuff like ship's captains. But the obvious issues is that must always call it in localisation with Get<name>Nicknamed, like GetFirstNameNicknamed. So basically you have to know that the person you're talking about will have a Sir nickname, and not something like 'the Fat', which is a nickname too (and you cannot stack them either).

Yep. nicknames can be used for titling landless characters. I have been using it for stuff like ship's captains. But the obvious issues is that must always call it in localisation with Get<name>Nicknamed, like GetFirstNameNicknamed. So basically you have to know that the person you're talking about will have a Sir nickname, and not something like 'the Fat', which is a nickname too (and you cannot stack them either).

It's pretty inelegant, and it precludes them from getting an actual nickname.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Having played around slightly with this myself, it seems possible that you can do it by adding a Custom Localization entry before the character name in all the GUI entries, not really ideal but you can set up triggers in your custom loc to determine whether the prefix should appear, this seems to work alongside normal nicknames.

The only issue is that it will also appear before actual titles (Ser Lord Tywin) unless you add a condition to not display it if they have a title.

Court physician isn't a minor title. It is its own hardcoded mechanic.

I've been doing some further digging and it would appear I also cannot use customizable localisation to accomplish this. Why? Well each character in CK3 has a different localisation key on the interface depending on whether or not they have a title, surname, or a nickname. And the localisation keys here are the same ones used in other areas. So if I add titles this way, by simply tagging on custom localisation keys, it will create issues with the regular "GetFirstName" stuff also including a title in it....

So I need some way of giving these people titles - even if they aren't useable ones - just so they register as a "titled" character in game, and are given the correct localisation treatment (at which point I can use custom localisation to determine which title they should be assigned).

I could maybe get around this by giving EVERYONE in the world a blank flavorization title, but it game files lay out very clearly that doing so will SIGNIFICANTLY impact performance.

Last edited:
Here's an example of what I'm talking about with the localisation key stuff. I can't edit "character_first_name" to show a title, because then EVERY first name in the game, called by events or other areas of the GUI, will have a title in it.

1599027878935.png
1599027912084.png

Fascinating and thanks for the insight so far Azarias59...it sounds like the physician being hardcoded means that regular minor title modifications are not possible then? At this time just a physician only? Also, how do you get the ingame ui to show like in your screenshots?

Fascinating and thanks for the insight so far Azarias59...it sounds like the physician being hardcoded means that regular minor title modifications are not possible then? At this time just a physician only? Also, how do you get the ingame ui to show like in your screenshots?

I deleted the localisation folder lol.

• 2Like
Reactions:
So blackninja responded to another post of mine and said he'd look into adding a character flag trigger to the flavorization titles in a future patch. Hopefully, it won't be too far away.

• 5Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
How is court physician hardcoded? I looked at how it's done only briefly, but I didn't find anything that would point out to it being hardcoded. The "title" itself is modelled as a relation and all the other things are most probably standard decisions/events etc. There is that big button for taking the decision, but I suppose that's just an example of scripted GUI (I haven't confirmed this, however).

Hi @blackninja9939 - I didn't see any patch notes for this in the 1.1 update. Do you have an idea as to when we can expect an addition? I feel as though we've lost functionality we used to have in CK2 with the minor_title and special_character_title systems :(

Last edited:
Reactions: