Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #8: The Global Resources

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vassalage is irreversible to make it a safe option for a victor to accept. Players should only accept when they are close too annihilation
Open borders and vision sharing are separate treaties for allies, so (should be) for vassals too.

Vassalage is irreversible to make it a safe option for a victor to accept. Players should only accept when they are close too annihilation
Open borders and vision sharing are separate treaties for allies, so (should be) for vassals too.

No chance for backstabbing vassal if he thinks he has a chance to free himself? That'a a bummer :p

What happens if the vassal becomes more powerful than his (now nominal) overlord?

Since it seems like there are actual vassal and casus belli mechanics, I assume that there is a "Request Independence" item in diplomatic negotiation and with a denial of that (either bargaining or just ultimatum) the vassal would gain a casus belli for Independence.

Depending on how the vassal mechanics end up working, you could even make a request for your liege to become your vassal instead, leading to a "Subjugation/Indepence" casus belli if denied. Not sure on historical precedence, but is a very unorthodox request

Edit: Totally missed the irreversible vassalage comment. Probably means a flat vassalage structure.

Also, how many levels of vassals do we have? Just one flat structure or multiple levels?

Last edited:
Not sure you can answer yet, but I wanted to ask if a player still doesn’t necessarily “share” an ally’s war? Coming from other 4X games this was perhaps the most surprising things about AoW3.

Edit: Totally missed the irreversible vassalage comment. Probably means a flat vassalage structure.
There is one layer of PvP vassalage.

Not sure you can answer yet, but I wanted to ask if a player still doesn’t necessarily “share” an ally’s war? Coming from other 4X games this was perhaps the most surprising things about AoW3.

We've got two types of alliances now. Defensive Pacts and full Alliances. With the first type you only get drawn in when your ally gets attacked. With the latter you follow your allies' aggression AoW3 style.

Make a switch for unbreakable vassals in title.rpk so we can mod it out? I can accurately predict that people will want to, even if i agree with this form.

Time allowing. We can make it so the Vassal survives as a freed faction if the Overlord gets taken out. They'll be opportunity post launch to see how this is received in practice and make additions. Same with the Alliance war join.

We can make it so the Vassal survives as a freed faction if the Overlord gets taken out.
I figured this may be one way for freedom. But then again, a powerful vassal might then keep away from its sovereign when he/she is under attack in the hopes that they get wiped out and the vassal becomes free.

That said, I still support it. If one were to vassal himself to someone, that one would have to be exceedingly outmatched in their war. To become a superpower from that stage would take a lot of misplays by other players, hence making needing to have a chance to swear loyalty to a new master more probable than becoming a major independent power with a less powerful master.