Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #33: The Psi-fish NPC Faction

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow as silly as their name sounds, they are pretty scary. Though not really fish-like, more like medusas.
Odd how it seems even their strongest unit has just 1 attack type. Guess the bonds are the other attacks?

I did a quick search around shortly after I posted, just in case it was something really obscure that the D&D developers found that wasn't in my books, and what I found pretty clearly stated it was made of D&D.

Kinda surprises me that WOTC didn't trademark them along with beholders and mind flayers, but I guess they weren't well known enough to be worth the effort. (Beholders, incidentally, are still pretty much everywhere, they're just not called beholders.)
Actually they kinda did, which is why Paizo has been creating variant Aboleths they can make miniatures of for Pathfinder as they likely cannot do so for the regular ones. They are pretty big players in Pathfinder's Golarion, having ruled the planet's biggest empires from the shadows and then causing a meteor-strike extinction events just to cover their tracks when they were exposed.

Actually they kinda did, which is why Paizo has been creating variant Aboleths they can make miniatures of for Pathfinder as they likely cannot do so for the regular ones. They are pretty big players in Pathfinder's Golarion, having ruled the planet's biggest empires from the shadows and then causing a meteor-strike extinction events just to cover their tracks when they were exposed.
Different levels of IP. The exact appearance of the D&D aboleth comes under copyright (which is pretty much automatic), so Pathfinder and other games can use aboleths, but they can't look exactly the same as the WOTC aboleth.

Beholders and illithids/mind flayers have been registered for stronger IP protection, which limits how close someone else can come to either. However, even that offers some leeway: you can't call something a beholder, and I think the concept of a monster that shoots eye rays with each ray having a different effect might also be covered, but the general concept of a floating ball with several eyes on stalks and the ability to use magic attacks through its eyes is not. As a result, we can still get things like the AoW3 Watcher - it's far enough that it falls outside the trademark, and WOTC can't stop people from using the general concept.

Did I read that right? Planetfall will be released on 6/8/19? Thats June 8th not August 6th yeah?
Sadly, no. The 6/8/19 is written European-style, with the date first, then the month. I have to wait almost a week after my birthday to play. Oh, well, I've Imperator Rome, and Stellaris, and Hearts of Iron IV to keep me busy.