Age of Wonders: Planetfall – Dev Diary #23: Operations Part II - Covert Ops, Doctrines, Prototypes

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I do love the idea of an orbital layer...I agree though that it's hard to do "deeply." I was playing a lot of Beyond Earth a few months ago and remember being disappointed by how all satellites were geosynchronous. It felt too much like "fortifying" an area. More interesting would have been if they were in an actual orbit, and traversed the map, perhaps leaving themselves open to ground-to-air fire over hostile territory...

I wanted to take a sec on the operations system. I liked how in AoW3 casting points were shared between strategic/tactical---it made Druid viable, for instance, as their tactical spells were pretty meh, but flashy stuff wouldn't have been thematic. And AD was rewarded for not doing a lot of battle casting in the form of being able to use those casting points for summons.

...which doesn't necessarily mean that I dislike how things are shaping up in Planetfall. Science fiction generally goes in for flashier stuff than fantasy, so stuff happening mid-battle is more standard.

One thing to watch out for is overuse of tactical ops, where you just know going into every battle that you'll lose a unit to direct damage. Doing that in AoW3 cost you valuable casting points, but in Planetfall it won't, so I hope that self-sufficient tactlcal ops are costed or balanced appropriate to that.

Still excited!

About boosting/supporting allies or any other faction
What about the possibility to disrupt scanner etc for someone else units
Sabotage specific units or defenses (before your ally or someone else wants to attack your target )

Hell i can even think of possible fabricate claim for someone else to let him attack and use this opportunity to start your own conquest

One thing to watch out for is overuse of tactical ops, where you just know going into every battle that you'll lose a unit to direct damage. Doing that in AoW3 cost you valuable casting points, but in Planetfall it won't, so I hope that self-sufficient tactlcal ops are costed or balanced appropriate to that.

Lennart mentioned that tactical ops cost energy as well as tactical points. I can imagine that an operation named "Turn unit into smoking crater" can be balanced by making the energy cost significant. This means that if you go happy-go-zappy it would impact your strategic economy.

Am I right in guessing that the 'Fabricate CB' text we see in that screenshot is specific to the Dvar? I am interested to see what other fabricated CB's might be out there.

Am I right in guessing that the 'Fabricate CB' text we see in that screenshot is specific to the Dvar? I am interested to see what other fabricated CB's might be out there.

I think it's specific to the Amazons-I have a hard time seeing other factions using too much polluting as a pretence for war.

Yep there are a bunch of random lines available pending parties involved for some flavor.

Hey, you could always come back to adding an orbital layer to the game as DLC after release. Maybe with only a handful of available satellites that are almost like civ world wonders, the controller gets some serious benefits but they have huge upfront costs. Plus other factions could potentially launch assaults to try and take them over, as you originally suggested. You still get the ground combat, but on a different layer.

It could also go a different direction, similar to the surface/underground layers from AoW3. The orbital layer is generally then about surveillance and rapid deployment of your armies.

I am not sure how much (probably not alot tbh) it would add to the game, but having airfields as a strategic map item, from which you launch airstrikes (as opposed to having flying units in an army) was something I remember from Command and Conquer, which I thought worked very well.

Also, strategic map artillery. Very slow unit, can move maybe 1 hex per turn, but can fire on the strategic map. That'd be cool.

Frankly - no!
Why?

I suppose, you (all) watched the streams and especially the (tactical) battles in there. What was staggering in there (at least for me) was the amount of battle-important detail. An aspect practically not there in AoW 3 - terrain and obstacles, the ability to create and destroy them, explosions, stuff burning over a couple of rounds, overwatch, staggering, you name it.

Actual strategic weapons - that is, either an orbital layer with satellites and stuff or far-reaching land units firing on the strategic map - would just diminish the fun, obviously, being completely lackluster in comparison and actually spoiling things. Abstracting strategcal operations seems to be the right move for a game with such a wealth of detail in tactical combat, while a more detailed strategic layer would seem to be counterproductive in that regard.

Frankly - no!
Why?

I suppose, you (all) watched the streams and especially the (tactical) battles in there. What was staggering in there (at least for me) was the amount of battle-important detail. An aspect practically not there in AoW 3 - terrain and obstacles, the ability to create and destroy them, explosions, stuff burning over a couple of rounds, overwatch, staggering, you name it.

Actual strategic weapons - that is, either an orbital layer with satellites and stuff or far-reaching land units firing on the strategic map - would just diminish the fun, obviously, being completely lackluster in comparison and actually spoiling things. Abstracting strategcal operations seems to be the right move for a game with such a wealth of detail in tactical combat, while a more detailed strategic layer would seem to be counterproductive in that regard.

I've been thinking about this.

We know there are strategic operations that are equivalent to wrath of god/lightning storm spells from AoW3, in other words artillery by any other name, only with no counter and using resources (energy) as a limiter, i.e. no range limitation etc.

I would propose that some of these have a land unit/location that can be attacked as a counter.

A land unit presents range limitations and the possibility to counter attack it. Imho that would make the game richer.

I'm talking maybe 2 or 3 units tops, for a faction like the DVAR, who are supposed to represent that dwarven trope of fortify and expand slowly by bashing stuff.

What for? Opponent builds one. You destroy them. Without any finesse, though. If you had to destroy them in tactical combat, you' could just build them and fire anything to smithereens.