• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm playing as Austria and in 1569, the only Protestant nations are England and Prussia and they only became so by events. Elsewhere there is not a single Protestant or Reformed province. Only one province from my empire converted (Silesia, now converted back). It's almost as if the Reformation mod didn't get activated.

Did you play in one go or have you ever saved / loaded and continued to play?
The events that enabled protestantism and reformed did fire?

Did you play in one go or have you ever saved / loaded and continued to play?
The events that enabled protestantism and reformed did fire?
Yes, I saved / loaded.

And yes, the reformation events did fire.

BTW, I'm playing latest AGCEEP beta on latest FTG beta. This is my first long-term campaign using both. Did this happen in any of your games?

europerel.jpg

Yes, I saved / loaded.

And yes, the reformation events did fire.

BTW, I'm playing latest AGCEEP beta on latest FTG beta. This is my first long-term campaign using both. Did this happen in any of your games?

That no province except Silesia converted away from catholicism? No. However my current game is as Ottoman Empire and all of Germany has become sunni so in that game the provinces cannot convert (the events trigger only for christian provinces to convert to protestant or reformed, if they have been converted to another religion they don´t convert).

What about Scandinavia, Britain, the Baltic and France? In this campaign, the Huguenots revolted without any of its provinces being reformed. The Netherlands revolted too and it is still Catholic.

Well, I guess I can start a 1520 scenario and see what happens.

Weird, I remember playing as england and several countries (Dennmark, minor german states, huguenotes, scotland) became protestant or reformed.

Was the Reformation a small one, perhaps? Open your save and search for [SmallProtestant]; if it's set to "yes", then few provinces should convert. If it's not present at all, then something is wrong.

[SmallProtestant] is set to 'no'

tag = MUS
ai = {
flags = {
[LargeProtestant] = no
[LargeReformed] = no
[NormalProtestant] = no
[NormalReformed] = no
[qar_end] = no
[shiite] = yes
[SmallProtestant] = no
[SmallReformed] = no
}

Now I tried vanilla and the same thing happened. This time, [SmallProtestant] is totally absent from the save. I reckon this has to do with something introduced in the patch, so I will take this issue in the other forum.

[SmallProtestant] is set to 'no'

tag = MUS
ai = {
flags = {
[LargeProtestant] = no
[LargeReformed] = no
[NormalProtestant] = no
[NormalReformed] = no
[qar_end] = no
[shiite] = yes
[SmallProtestant] = no
[SmallReformed] = no
}
Something is definitely wrong, then. If all of the Protestant/Reformed flags are set to no, no conversions will fire.

In checking agceep_hugeevents.eue in agceep folder and hugeevents.txt / religiousevents.txt in ftg db folder I have seen that flag 4 in vanilla ftg differs from agceep.

In agceep it's about the edict of tolerance, in ftg vanilla it's about predominance_tolerance. What is it?

So:
  • flag 4 is edict of tolerance in agceep and predominance_tolerance in vanilla ftg
  • flag 5 is not used in agceep and edict of tolerance in vanilla ftg
  • flag 6 is not used in agceep and more tolerance in vanilla ftg

Could we in case implement these flags in agceep as they presumably are also pointing the global_flags.txt from ftg db folder?

there existed state religions in the states in USA.

The USA in the games timeframe would be the only secular and tolerant religious state - as they themselves stated, e.g. in their treaty with the Pasha of Tripoli:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli
At the federal level it was a pluralistic (better word then secular?) and tolerant religious nation.
But the federation consisted of states and the individual states could have a state religion.

Original 13 states with state church in the hole time fram of FtG:
Congregational - Connecticut

Original 13 states with no state church:
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Rhode Island

Original 13 states with a state church that ends in the time fram:
Maryland (1701/1776)
Virginia (1786)
Georgia (1789)
South Carolina(1790)
Massachusetts (1780/1833)
New York ?
North Carolina ?

None-secular without state church:
New Hampshire (Until 1877 the New Hampshire Constitution required members of the State legislature to be of the Protestant religion).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state_in_the_United_States

As there are no federation mechanism in FtG you need to choice between:
-State with vassals
-Some thing like Holy Roman Empire
-State without vassals
to represent USA.
And I think the current representation (state without vassals) is the best.
But if you should represent is historically right the individual states in USA should have different have different state religions: pluralism/secular, protestant (and reformed?) . In a similar way as the Holy Roman Empire gave there member states the choice to be Lutheran or Catholic after 1555.

But from a diplomatic prospective I assume that most of the leader of other parts of the world viewed USA as christian even if they at the federal level viewed them self as "secular". So to create the best historic diplomacy I think it should stay protestant.

How it was internally is impossible to re-create so I think what to create best historic diplomacy is what you decide in this case.

Moved from the download thread of AGCEEP 1.59b5:

I have a question. What are you doing by the lines you added to the AGCEEP\Scenarios\1419\Inc\1419_GlobalData.inc?
" defender = { PAP = catholic }
defender = { BYZ = orthodox }
defender = { MAM = sunni }
defender = { DAN = protestant }
defender = { IRA = shiite }
defender = { CHI = confucianism }
defender = { VIJ = hinduism }"
Protestantism is not activated in 1419. Does this works like guarantees with the late dates? Does Denmark automatically become the defender of the faith later?
Are you that sure that Vijayanagar, Irak and Mamluks deserves the title of the defender of the faith?
I tried to give all religions a DoF, to the most fitting existing nation for any given religion in 1419.

One of the reasons was that the AI often will claim that title once it has 1000 gold to waste, instead of investing in more armies or building manufactories or simply having a treasure to rob in case of a won war.

Most of them will be lost very soon. The DoF needs only to lose 1 war to lose the title.

VIJ seems the obvious choice for hinduism - it is bordering the expanding muslim nations to it´s north and is in constant fight with them until VIJ historically is destroyed by a muslim alliance.

Mamluks are the hosts of the Abbasid Caliphs since the mongols conquered Bagdad and the Caliphs fled and "acting for them" while claiming some special role for harbouring them. Having them be the sunni DoF makes sense. And until the Ottomans ought to take over the MAM have either already lost a war and the title or are going to lose vs. TUR.

IRA might be an odd choice for shiite but remember that the obvious choice, the Safavids, do not exist yet in 1419.

IRA might be an odd choice for shiite but remember that the obvious choice, the Safavids, do not exist yet in 1419.
Yes, it is. Such a title. Maybe no one, if not obvious?
Shah Muhammad was only a governor of Baghdad on behalf of the Qara Qoyunlu tribe. Why did not you choose Qara Qoyunlu? They should be an overlord of Baghdad. Shah Muhammad hardly can defend anyone (even himself).
And the Vijayanagara Empire. Can it defend Hindu kingdoms of the South-East Asia? It will get penalties, if it will not help them. Was that region in the Vijayanagari sphere of influence?

And Pope. Go to war himself to defend any Christian country? Definitely not the Pope's style.

And what about Denmark? How should it work? I asked before.

Last edited:
Yes, it is. Such a title. Maybe no one, if not obvious?
Shah Muhammad was only a governor of Baghdad on behalf of the Qara Qoyunlu tribe. Why did not you choose Qara Qoyunlu? They should be an overlord of Baghdad. Shah Muhammad hardly can defend anyone (even himself).
Actually I never noticed that QAR was shiite. I only looked at AKK Ak Koyounlu, saw that they are sunni and just assumed that the other sheep are too...
I agree, when QAR is shiite then they being DoF at the start of the game makes more sense than IRA and will be changed in the next upload.

And the Vijayanagara Empire. Can it defend Hindu kingdoms of the South-East Asia? It will get penalties, if it will not help them. Was that region in the Vijayanagari sphere of influence?

And Pope. Go to war himself to defend any Christian country? Definitely not the Pope's style.
In that time it actually was the pope´s style. While going to war personally was only for one
the Popes as the regent of the Papal States waged wars almost constantly to either get rid of Emperors who threatened the balance by trying to rule north and south of them, or trying to expand the Papal States.

Several times the Pope founded and joined holy leagues, e.g. including Venice to fight back the Ottomans who threatened to take over the whole of the Mediterranian Sea and even invaded southern Italy.

So having PAP start as DoF (catholic) and having them gain a Casus Belli on any state at war with a catholic state does make sense. If you haven´t noticed before, one of the special powers of the Pope is that all catholic states gain a casus belli on anyone who is at war with the pope, too.

And what about Denmark? How should it work? I asked before.
I haven´t played a testgame yet beyond Luther after changing the starting DoF. I assume that either it is meaningless (as in 1419 DAN is catholic and can´t be the protestant DoF) or it will start once DAN turns protestant. If someone else wants to try it out and tell me, would be helpful.