• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Toio

Field Marshal
6 Badges
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • 500k Club
why is there a difference in religious stability for certain religions or even paganism. should they not be all the same, moslem was stable for moslem people the same as catholic was for catholic people. Why the difference?

why is there a difference in religious stability for certain religions or even paganism. should they not be all the same, moslem was stable for moslem people the same as catholic was for catholic people. Why the difference?

To make it interesting and achieve historical results? Every religion has it´s own advantages and disadvantages.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1225&d=1070902639

However as far as I read that chart from EU2 sunni and shiite both have a stability bonus so why do you ask them to have a stability bonus?

To make it interesting and achieve historical results? Every religion has it´s own advantages and disadvantages.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1225&d=1070902639

However as far as I read that chart from EU2 sunni and shiite both have a stability bonus so why do you ask them to have a stability bonus?

due to there religion it takes long to gain stab. why is that?
should'nt all religions be set at 50 and not 60, 70 or 80 for others?

due to there religion it takes long to gain stab. why is that?
should'nt all religions be set at 50 and not 60, 70 or 80 for others?

It does not take sunni nations longer to gain stability than catholic nations. And they gain it faster than reformed nations. But reformed gets a boost in technology.

The bonus in stability from religion is really small - if you are playing a nation and own only provinces with your own state religion it´s almost meaningless.

And pagan nations got the worst to simulate that no pagan nation historically managed to survive. It means that pagan nations will have it historically hard to achieve anything and make it more interesting for experienced players that find playing as Castille on very hard too easy.

Edit: But perhaps we should move this discussion to a seperate thread? Religion, it´s advantages and disadvantages should have it´s own thread and not be in the Ottomans thread.

Last edited:
AGCEEP Religions, game boni and penalties

This thread is for the discussion of religions in AGCEEP, their bonuses and penalties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered adding more religions to AGCEEP to simulate important historical differences? Now it is not quite accurate with Lutheranism ("Protestant" in game) representing Anglican church or Calvinism being identical with the church of Scotland. Not to mention the East Christianity or several important religions missed in Asia. Additionally you can modify their bonuses and penalties in details to simulate as much historical situation as possible.

PS Tested them in my own AGCEEP game and the results very pretty nice.

Last edited:
Have you considered adding more religions to AGCEEP to simulate important historical differences? Now it is not quite accurate with Lutheranism ("Protestant" in game) representing Anglican church or Calvinism being identical with the church of Scotland. Not to mention the East Christianity or several important religions missed in Asia. Additionally you can modify their bonuses and penalties in details to simulate as much historical situation as possible.

PS Tested them in my own AGCEEP game and the results very pretty nice.

If any religions are added it should not be just a duplicate of an existing one with only a different name. "Protestants" to me is sufficient for all subgroups that would belong to that group without adding a dozen new religions that are very similar.

IMO religions should follow the same rule of thumb as cultures - no "one-province" religions. And as FtG provinces can only have 1 religion religious minorities would be ignored.
So we don´t need to have a seperate religiion for e.g. the "Wiedertäufer of Münster" / Re-Baptists? of Munster or similar groups

If any religions are added it should not be just a duplicate of an existing one with only a different name. "Protestants" to me is sufficient for all subgroups that would belong to that group without adding a dozen new religions that are very similar.

IMO religions should follow the same rule of thumb as cultures - no "one-province" religions. And as FtG provinces can only have 1 religion religious minorities would be ignored.
So we don´t need to have a seperate religiion for e.g. the "Wiedertäufer of Münster" / Re-Baptists? of Munster or similar groups
I pretty sure that the Anglican Church or Oriental Christianity could be hardly named a minor issue or "one-province" religions.

a "secular" religion should be implemented. a religion which is not a political power and where stability within its natural borders is enhanced

I pretty sure that the Anglican Church or Oriental Christianity could be hardly named a minor issue or "one-province" religions.

The anglican church is somewhat of a mixture of remnants of the catholic church with parts of the protestants.
Having England turn from catholic to protestant under Henry VIII does achieve what it should from a gamist point of view - it alienates England from the pope and the spanish, makes it harder for them to have good relations to all catholics and makes it harder for them to rule catholic provinces.
What exactly would be the differences in the game between "protestant" and "anglican" that you suggest? Or would "anglican" simply be "english protestant"?
A rose by any other name smells just as sweet ;-)

The oriental christianity is another matter - do you refer to the indian churches or something else? If you mean the assyrian christian churches those are not exactly the dominant faith in their provinces in the games timeframe.

a "secular" religion should be implemented. a religion which is not a political power and where stability within its natural borders is enhanced

"secular religion"? Would that not be only fitting for the USA as the only state with no state religion in the game?

The anglican church is somewhat of a mixture of remnants of the catholic church with parts of the protestants.
Having England turn from catholic to protestant under Henry VIII does achieve what it should from a gamist point of view - it alienates England from the pope and the spanish, makes it harder for them to have good relations to all catholics and makes it harder for them to rule catholic provinces.
What exactly would be the differences in the game between "protestant" and "anglican" that you suggest? Or would "anglican" simply be "english protestant"?
A rose by any other name smells just as sweet ;-)
Every religion in game has the number of important bonuses and penalties. Using this system it is very easy to simulate the religion's impacts on the economical growth, trade and (political) stability. Defiantly the English church and society differed much from that in Lutheran Scandinavia or Germany. There are a lot of similar issues.

The oriental christianity is another matter - do you refer to the indian churches or something else? If you mean the assyrian christian churches those are not exactly the dominant faith in their provinces in the games timeframe.
Is it ok that Armenian and Ethiopian churches represented with "Orthodox"?

Cult of Reason - A religion that existed for less than 1 year and was "state religion" but did not actually spread through the majority of the population - and is only viable if France actually becomes a republic? And the Cult of the Supreme being something that was announced and ended within several months?

Better have revolutionary France have religion = "none" than creating a new religion for a few months.

Last edited:
Every religion in game has the number of important bonuses and penalties. Using this system it is very easy to simulate the religion's impacts on the economical growth, trade and (political) stability. Defiantly the English church and society differed much from that in Lutheran Scandinavia or Germany. There are a lot of similar issues.

Defiantly is a type I often make myself - definitely.
How would it differ? I don´t mean theological differences here. How in game terms would "anglican" differ from "protestantism in England"?

e.g.
Code:
protestant = {
	group = christian
	subgroup = protestant
	color = LightBlue
	allowed_conversion = {
		catholic
		counterreform
		reformed
	}
	aggressiveness = {
		pagan
	}
	conflict = {
		sunni
		shiite
	}
	heretic = {
		catholic
	}
	predominance = yes
	annex_same_penalty = yes
	tech_speed = 1.00
	stability_bonus = -3.00
	stability_cost = 50.00
	colonists = 1.00
	coastalprovince_bonus = yes
	diplomats = 1.00
	missionaries = 0.50
	missionary_placement_chance = 0.30
	missionary_sprite = 1
	production_efficiency = 0.10
	global_tax_modifier = 0.10
	slaves_effect = 1.00
}

Is it ok that Armenian and Ethiopian churches represented with "Orthodox"?

Why should the ethiopian church NOT be orthodox?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_church#Origins

Historically Byzanz and Ethiopia were allies from time to time and should enjoy good relations as long as Byzanz exists. Having the same religion means that relations with co-religionists are improved - which is good.
Creating a "coptic orthodox" church would further isolate Ethiopia.

The armenian church you mentioned: Of which state in the FtG timeframe would it be the state religion? In which province would it be the dominant religion?

Last edited:
Better have revolutionary France have religion = "none" than creating a new religion for a few months.

I don't think you can have no religion at all. The game would probably crash.

Also, as you speak of AGCEEP... why not have one of the Cults as a new religion if you want? Just because historically they did not last does not mean they can't in your particular game.

How would it differ? I don´t mean theological differences here. How in game terms would "anglican" differ from "protestantism in England"?
It is all discussable. We just need to use it to portrait the societies as much as close to reality. For example giving Anglican trade bonus would defiantly have much sense.
And European Protestantism is already split in two since the vanilla EU1 - "Reformed" (Calvinist, Puritan, Presbyterian etc) and "Protestant".

Historically Byzanz and Ethiopia were allies from time to time and should enjoy good relations as long as Byzanz exists. Having the same religion means that relations with co-religionists are improved - which is good.
It is very different from doctrinal and structural point of view from the churches connected to the canonical Patriarchy of Constantinople.

"Oriental Christianity" could be also added to all provinces with Armenian culture. May be it can also represent the Christians of Levant.

I don't think you can have no religion at all. The game would probably crash.

I vaguely remember that in EU2 provinces could have culture "none" and that years ago someone joked that all US provinces should have that culture. ;-)
In the case of those two exotic "state religions" "none" would actually make sense.

Also, as you speak of AGCEEP...

Of course do I speak of AGCEEP. This thread is in the AGCEEP subforum of FtG. If you had meant your suggestions for the vanilla / unmodded game then you should post in the main modding FtG forum.

why not have one of the Cults as a new religion if you want? Just because historically they did not last does not mean they can't in your particular game.

Because AGCEEP has it´s main focus on historical results. The mod encourages historical events to happen and to accurately simulate how history unfolded.
To include two "Religions" that together lasted for only 1 year and never were widely accepted because in a game they might survive due to player actions, would rather fall into alternative history or even fantasy.

Those two religions are only viable under the revolutionary republic. When Napoleon takes over and crowns himself emperor and marriages catholic austrian princesses then history would be impossible to happen with france having either of those two religions as state religion.

"secular religion"? Would that not be only fitting for the USA as the only state with no state religion in the game?

Venice, swiss and Genoa would be another 3, they did have a religion but it had no power, cardinals and priests where assigned only by each republic and not on the order of the papal states.

So, if the religion is powerless, then we need a "secular" religion or name it something else.

Last edited:
Defiantly is a type I often make myself - definitely.

e.g.
Code:
protestant = {
	group = christian
	subgroup = protestant
	color = LightBlue
	allowed_conversion = {
		catholic
		counterreform
		reformed
	}
	aggressiveness = {
		pagan
	}
	conflict = {
		sunni
		shiite
	}
	heretic = {
		catholic
	}
	predominance = yes
	annex_same_penalty = yes
	tech_speed = 1.00
	stability_bonus = -3.00
	stability_cost = 50.00
	colonists = 1.00
	coastalprovince_bonus = yes
	diplomats = 1.00
	missionaries = 0.50
	missionary_placement_chance = 0.30
	missionary_sprite = 1
	production_efficiency = 0.10
	global_tax_modifier = 0.10
	slaves_effect = 1.00
}

The armenian church you mentioned: Of which state in the FtG timeframe would it be the state religion? In which province would it be the dominant religion?

if we introduce anglican, it would have a greater stability cost as there where religious wars in England and also the conflict section would have catholic in it

A secular religion would have very low stbility costs as the government would ignore the state's reliogous peoples ideas, thus avoiding internal conflicts....example in Venice they had catholic religion but also greek orthodox church, armenian church, lurtheran church and even from 1610 a protestant church.
MAYBE Pagan is similar to secular .........maybe we can change something there