Advice needed for Life Seeded game

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you want maximum power then synthetic ascension is best, but you lose out on a lot of flavor that way. I'd probably want to keep Gaia habitability preference and instead go for World Shapers so I can terraform my planets. This would mean you don't get the full benefit out of genetic ascension since you don't profit from the best advanced trait. So by process of elmination I'd say Psionic ascenion, but that has the drawback of giving you a spiritualist faction.

I'm not an experienced player so I don't know exactly what you mean by this. Please explain. Thanks
He's either talking about Robust or Erudite, and given the context probably Robust.

(Fertile is not bad either, but 3.0 severely nerfed it.)

He's either talking about Robust or Erudite, and given the context probably Robust.

(Fertile is not bad either, but 3.0 severely nerfed it.)
but why wouldn't I profit from the best advanced trait (be it robust, erudite or fertile)? These are mutually exclusive with World Shapers (terraforming into Gaia planets)?

Thanks in advance

but why wouldn't I profit from the best advanced trait (be it robust, erudite or fertile)? These are mutually exclusive with World Shapers (terraforming into Gaia planets)?

Thanks in advance
Don't quote me, I'm just trying to guess which advanced trait would be considered "best" by some other guy.

Thanks in advance
Robust allows you to get 30% additional habitability which is wasted since you only live on Gaia worlds. It will also give you +5 % resources which is why I would say genetic is still a really good option. Also Erudite (gives you bonus science output and a nice trait for all leaders) is still available and probably the best of the advanced traits.

EDIT: how is the game going by the way? I am curious.

I'm not an experienced player so I don't know exactly what you mean by this. Please explain. Thanks

The most valuable advanced trait for a xenophobe is Robust for it's +30% Habitability, which with tech bonuses allows a normal species to have 70% Habitability on "bad" planets. But if you have Gaia preference that goes down to 50% and if you terraform everything into Gaia worlds, so the habitability bonus is wasted entirely. You still benefit from +5% production, but by then you have so many bonuses piled up it makes little difference. So in effect you are getting a weaker Venerable. Well, I suppose you could just make a species with Venerable instead of Robust then. But the point is that you won't get as much benefit from it as you would have with another origin.

Robust still gives you perfectly habitable Habitats without Voidborne, so you've got that going for you, which is nice.

My advice for a Life-Seeded start using some Habitats would be:

- If you have a bunch of 2-size Energy and Minerals deposits, build a Habitat over them, and move your Energy and Minerals to space.

- If you have a bunch of small Research deposits, build a Habitat over them, and build only Research districts (and a Habitation district which later becomes another Research district) on these habitats, plus one Holo Theater building.

- If you build a Habitat over a Rare resource deposit, you will be able to build a number of rare-resource-mining buildings equal to the deposit size. E.g. if you find a 2-size Exotic Gases deposit, you will be able to build 2 Gas Extractor buildings on a habitat. This is more useful for someone with the Voidborne perk because you'll often find 5-size rare deposits on a Precursor system, but you usally need Voidborne to have 5 building slots early.

- With Voidborne, the other great use for a Habitat is as a Refinery. What you do is build 2 habitation districts and 2 leisure districts, then make all the building slots into crystal / gas / mote refineries. Without Voidborne you might not have enough building slots for this to be profitable early, but later it's quite viable.

Habitats will grow pops if you have a ton of housing, but that hurts sometimes (e.g. personally I want 12 Researcher jobs rather than 6 jobs + pop growth), so I'll move pops into those Research habitats instead of trying to use that habitat to grow and research. With your Bio Ascension, though, you can plop a Clone Vat in those non-growth Habitats and grow there anyway, albeit at a high food cost.

If you have a spare Habitat building slot, you can plop a Hydroponics building, too.

Use your Starbases to offset that high food cost by plopping a Hydroponics building whenever you have a spare slot, which in my experience is quite often.

Now your Gaia homeworld can turn those Mining and Generator districts into Agriculture and Industry, with fewer Agriculture needed as you get more starbases upgraded.

With even just a handful of Habitats, you should be able to specialize your capital a bit, and 2 full Research Habitats ought to take you far enough that you can either get Gladular Acclimation to remove your Gaia preference and colonize whatever planets you find nearby, or Climate Restoration and then the World Shaper perk so you can spam Gaia planets.

Probably not an optimal usage of Robust but it does work.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
EDIT: how is the game going by the way? I am curious.
It's going quite well. Been a lot of fun with many interesting decisions to make. No wars so far (and I'm just past 2300) but that's actually a nice change as I'm coming off of a Fanatical Purifiers/Become the Crisis run. I wouldn't want every game to be like this, but I'd definitely recommend trying it.

My main advantage has been fast research. My home Gaia world is the best science planet I've ever had (at least by this point in the game). Pop growth was so good from the very start on this world that I could fill as many research jobs as I could create. About 75% of the buildings on the planet are the 3rd level research buildings (the one's that have 6 jobs).

Right now three major changes are about to occur:

1) I'm researching the tech that lets you terraform into Gaia worlds (and I have an un-used perk slot waiting). My leader has a trait for 25% reduced time for terra forming (plus I'll use the edit that uses gases). Until recently my homeworld and one other planet were my only ones. The other was an alpine I only had 10% habitability on, but I use it for adm and eventually many other roles. Then later I colonized a desert world which I turned into a resort colony (mainly for the 100% habitability). I'm gonna change it back for 250 influence (influence has been maxed out at 1000 for most of the game). My plan is to terra form every planet into a Gaia. I have the tech for being able to do it while the planet is inhabited. So this is going to be quite a breakthrough I believe.

2) I've finally got the fleet power to take out the drake guarding the relic world (from the rubicator event chain). I'm not sure if I should change it into an ecu or terraform it into a Gaia. What would you suggest?

3) I've finally finished the precursor chain which gives a repairable ring world. I still need the appropriate tech (+ 15,000 alloys). but I plan on doing this as soon as I can.

As for ascension perks, I went with bio-evolution because I didn't want to lose my Gaia world preference. From the beginning, I had always hoped to use World Shapers. Am I right in thinking that going synth would ruin this? Your pops do lose their Gaia world preference once use go synth, right? just wanna make sure that's correct.

I'm playing on a large galaxy with the maximum number of AIs. Fortunately I started on the outer part of the galaxy and I've only had two neighbors. One of them had the scion origin, so they've left me alone. The other was the hostile default human faction (forgot their name). Luckily they had other threats/targets and I managed to get a NA pact with them. Now I have such a tech lead that I feel relatively safe.

I researched the tech that pacifies the space ameba. This turned out really nice because I found one of their nurseries, but it was away from my territory and bordered a fanatical purifier. However the FP apparently didn't do the research which pacifies them, so I colonized the system (which had all three special resources) for lots of influence because of it's distance & the FP won't attack because there are several hostile ameba there. So the ameba are protecting my super valuable system.

It's been fun. I like war but I get lots of it in every other run. This has been unique. I need to start thinking about my eventual goals for 'winning the game.' It's far from over.

Robust still gives you perfectly habitable Habitats without Voidborne, so you've got that going for you, which is nice.

My advice for a Life-Seeded start using some Habitats would be:

- If you have a bunch of 2-size Energy and Minerals deposits, build a Habitat over them, and move your Energy and Minerals to space.

- If you have a bunch of small Research deposits, build a Habitat over them, and build only Research districts (and a Habitation district which later becomes another Research district) on these habitats, plus one Holo Theater building.

- If you build a Habitat over a Rare resource deposit, you will be able to build a number of rare-resource-mining buildings equal to the deposit size. E.g. if you find a 2-size Exotic Gases deposit, you will be able to build 2 Gas Extractor buildings on a habitat. This is more useful for someone with the Voidborne perk because you'll often find 5-size rare deposits on a Precursor system, but you usally need Voidborne to have 5 building slots early.

- With Voidborne, the other great use for a Habitat is as a Refinery. What you do is build 2 habitation districts and 2 leisure districts, then make all the building slots into crystal / gas / mote refineries. Without Voidborne you might not have enough building slots for this to be profitable early, but later it's quite viable.

Habitats will grow pops if you have a ton of housing, but that hurts sometimes (e.g. personally I want 12 Researcher jobs rather than 6 jobs + pop growth), so I'll move pops into those Research habitats instead of trying to use that habitat to grow and research. With your Bio Ascension, though, you can plop a Clone Vat in those non-growth Habitats and grow there anyway, albeit at a high food cost.

If you have a spare Habitat building slot, you can plop a Hydroponics building, too.

Use your Starbases to offset that high food cost by plopping a Hydroponics building whenever you have a spare slot, which in my experience is quite often.

Now your Gaia homeworld can turn those Mining and Generator districts into Agriculture and Industry, with fewer Agriculture needed as you get more starbases upgraded.

With even just a handful of Habitats, you should be able to specialize your capital a bit, and 2 full Research Habitats ought to take you far enough that you can either get Gladular Acclimation to remove your Gaia preference and colonize whatever planets you find nearby, or Climate Restoration and then the World Shaper perk so you can spam Gaia planets.

Probably not an optimal usage of Robust but it does work.
I'm unfamiliar with the rules concerning placement of habitats. How do the resources you build them above effect them? Thanks in advance

I'm unfamiliar with the rules concerning placement of habitats. How do the resources you build them above effect them? Thanks in advance
If you build on a Mineral deposit, you get mining districts (3 miners + 3 housing).

If you build on an Energy deposit, you get generator districts (3 techs + 3 housing).

If you build on a Physics / Society / Engineering deposit, you get the good stuff -- research districts (3 researchers + 3 housing). This is amazing. Two of these districts are equivalent to 3 research labs buildings. You get all your building slots, too -- put a Holo Theater in one of them, and whatever you can support with the rest (Luxury Housing for example, so you can grow without Habitation Districts).

There are no limits on the above districts, except the size of the station (4 -> 6 -> 8), so you can turn a 2 Energy deposit into 12 Technicians (4 districts * 3 workers per district) which is a lot more energy.

If you build on a rare resource deposit (exotic gas, rare crystals, volatile motes) you can build a number of extractor buildings equal to the number of rare resources, which at least triples the output (but costs you a building slot and a worker). This is amazing when you find a 5 Gas deposit somewhere, by turning the output into at least 15 (plus more with job / race / stability / etc. multipliers) if you have 5 building slots on your habitats. Early on you will not have that many slots, but later it's an amazing increase.

Note that each Habitat costs 5 Alloys to sustain, so you want your primary industrial planet to be set up before you build too many of them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Glad to hear you are doing good.

2) I don't think you can transform relic worlds into Gaia worlds. I would say make it into English Ecu since you then have your consumer goods and alloys taken care off.