• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Does Carolus totally rule, 1337 Haxx0rz!?

• Yes, he sure is the 1337!

Votes: 1 100,0%
  • My cat is more 1337 than he!

Votes: 0 0,0%

• Total voters
It really depends on the story you want to tell, and the story you can tell. If you decide to tell a "character" story, will you be able to get inside the heads of Ethiopian or Omani characters? Something to consider. At any rate, I'm sure you would do a great job with either, so you should simply write whichever sounds more enjoyable. :)

i never read aars cuz people seem to get "TOO" into them and in a week get like 40 years done cuz they spend so much work on writing them. just one mans opinion:D

You might try Focusing on particular times when a lot is happening and just gloss over most of the time period. That way it is easier to complete a 400 year span.

Just so you know the reviews that have been done so far are Craig Ashley's From the Pope's Basement reviewed by Morlac, Peter Ebbesen's It Came From the Mountians reviewed by shawng, and MrT's Ghost-Frenchy AAR (I have no prayer of spelling that correctly without looking it up) reviewed by Secret Master.

I'll post here when we get some more posted.

Ok, thanks for the tips, all. I haven´t really decided which format / style I´ll be using yet, but I´m sure it´ll all work out in the end.:)

Wathombe: Thank you SO much, that was simply superb advice.
I did feel I´d like to try my hand at a more dialogue-oriented story, but as you said, as Ethiopia or Oman, it would likely be more of a challenge to do so, then as say, Sweden or Denmark.

So IF i decide to go with a more "personal" story, it will probably be with a European nation.

Ok, enough rambling from me. Again, thank you all very much.

Cheers,

Oleg

Yes I am sure anything you do will be fine.

Having tried various styles myself I can just say: do what you're most comfortable with because that will eventually turn out best. :)

New EU II AAR Posted At MGO Website - The Catholic King

Hia Guys,

Just a quick post to let you know that we have just started a new series of UEII AAR's.

The Catholic King - Europa Universalis II AAR - By Michael Rinschler - Part I

We are still looking for good EUI or EUII AAR's to posts on the MGO site. If any of you have any that you have not posted or have written one that I can use thats posted here, let me know and I will get it up on the MGO site asap.

We will shortlly be posting an interview with the dev team on HoI, I will let you know as soon as I get it posted on the MGO site. If anyone wants to start an EU/CK/HoI website, the offer for hosting is still very much open ;)

Cheers

Sulla

Your previous thread had some responses regarding AARs, and I sent you an e-mail which must have went missing. :)

LD

Since I'm now pretty much back in action, LD asked me if I minded if he unstickied this thread now to reduce the large number of stickies at the top of the forum. I certainly have no objection, but I wanted to give everyone one last big...

THANK YOU

...for having posted your good wishes here. I can tell you that when I was in the deepeest, darkest depths of my illness, this thread provided a great deal of comfort and morale support for me. It was an incredible feeling to know that I have friends such as all of you, spread out all across the world, who were crossing their fingers for me.

As to my current condition (sort of a "last update"), the meningitis-induced headaches are essentially gone as my body seems to have been able to deal with the "guilty" virus. I've discontinued my heavy dosages of Tylenol 3 which certainly helps me interms of being able to think coherently (and write verbosely :D).

The optic neuritis remains, and the prognosis there is that it will be quite a few (12-16) weeks before I find out how much of the (currently non-existent) vision in my right eye will return. The medical literature seems to suggest the likelihood that I should regain most of it and may only end up with slightly diminished colour or brightness. Here's hoping, and in the interim it really only hampers me in that I can't read for more than about 15 minutes at a time without getting tired - and needless to say, I don't want to risk eye strain since that would be truely crippling. Otherwise, it's just difficult to get a handle on things with my depth perception shot and I just have to be hyper-careful not to damage my one good eye before the other comes back into action.

I guess one effect that this will have is that it will be almost impossible for me to keep up with all of the AARs that are being written since the amount I can read has been cut at least in half. I will try tto do the best that I can, but please don't take it personally if I don't happen to be able to read your AAR on a regular basis. It's not for lack of interest or desire, but simply a case of being physically unable. Also, if you're specifically looking for my comments on something, you might want to PM me to let me know since it might be a little while before I next visit your thread.

At any rate, thank you all very, very much. You made a big difference in my recovery. Now if you'd all just stop writing for a week or two I could actually get caught up on things. ;)

Make sure you read with lots of available light, Chris. A large monitor would help, too.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone understands you won't be your usual self for a while yet. (mind you, judging from some of your responses not that much has really changed ;) :D )

Chris,

Do what you can. No one here is going to hold it against you if you aren't your usual verbose self for awhile. Keep us updated on your health too. There are many that are still praying and pulling for you.

Craig

P.S. Though I must agree with LD, you certainly haven't seemed to slowed down too much.:)

This thread is now closed. Please use the September update thread for any new starts or completions...

thanks. :)

Edit: P.S. to LD....you can cut this loose now if you like. I'll be able to find okay as I work away on the August updates.

Last edited:
***** Monthly LibrAARy updates for September... *****

Hi folks. Your LibrAARian respectfully requests that you continue to make his life easier by posting any new AAR starts in this thread with a link to the AAR. Also, if you finish an AAR please post a message to that effect here.

August updates will be entered into the LibrAARy sometime in the next week or so, so you might want to check a little later to make sure I haven't missed anything you've written (either started or completed). If I have, let me know about it in this thread.

Thanks, in advance, for doing your part in making this an easier job for me to do.

MrT

BTW...I've been in touch with Patric and the current glitch in the way the LibrAARy displays (larger text font and black text colour for author names) is unintentional and will be fixed at some point in the not-too-distant future - as Patric says, "as soon as he figures out how to". Until then, please excuse the questionable formatting and difficulty in reading the authors' names. Hopefully this will be resolved fairly soon.

EDIT: Decided to paste the notes I included in the "Attention Please" thread...

Notes for newbies and veterans alike:

First off, if you haven't the faintest idea what the LibrAARy is, then you probably haven't checked out the AARland, AARtiFAQs, OscAARs and the LibrAARy thread recently.

Newbies and veterans should both have a look at this thread every so often because Lord Durham adds some very handy information there on a pretty regular basis. You often won't know it's been updated since each post in the thread has a specific "area" that it addresses, so the updates are usually editted into the appropriate existing post instead of added as a new one. This means that the thread doesn't get bumped to the top of the stickied ones, even though there's something new there for you to see.

The LibrAARy is posted in a series of "instalments" in the thread, too, beginning with the fourth post. It has AAR listings sorted by region, and then at the end there's a second listing sorted alphabetically by author. The LibrAARy is updated monthly, adding the new AAR starts into the listings, and making whatever corrections or added notations are required. You'll see some that are marked as "completed". That doesn't mean that the author has decided to finish writing it. It means that the AAR covers a complete 400-year Grand Campaign or, in the case of other scenarios or AARs where a more limited time period has been specified, means that the AAR does actually cover the game period it started out to cover.

In case you aren't sure what I need when you post a reply in the monthly update thread to tell me you've started an AAR, or you don't know how to do it, here's and example of what I would consider ideal:
Just starting a new AAR called Cyprus - The Last Crusade.
Country is Cyprus, and it's a GC game starting in 1419.
The beauty with the above post (a randomly selected AAR of Bismarck's) is that I don't have to go searching for any information. It tells me the country name and type of game (which isn't always obvious in some people's AARs without reading a few posts in depth...that's not a criticism, by the way, but it does slow me down when I'm doing the LibrAARy update). It also makes my life easier if you're doing something with an odd starting date...

The other perk is that it gives me a direct link to the AAR so I can just click on it and I'll be on page one so I can do a few rapid copy & pastes into my database and I'm done. If you're not sure how to create a link, here's how:

Go to the AAR Forum main page and click on the title of your AAR (don't click on "last page"...just click the title) to go to the begining of it. In the address line of your browser you'll now have the AAR's address. In the example above, it's:
Code:
[color=yellow]http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40007[/color]
Copy the address (highlight it and press <ctrl>+c) to your clipboard.
Now go to this month's update thread...for September you'll find it here but of course this will change every month. Thanks to LD, you'll always find it conveniently stickied at the top of the forum.

Now post your "reply" and start typing in the information I need. When you come to type the AAR's title, you need to paste in the link. To do this, you need to use the "url tags" and <ctrl>+v for the paste. I can't type it exactly to show you or it'll be hidden, so here's roughly what it should look like...
Just starting a new AAR called {url=http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40007}Cyprus - The Last Crusade{/url}.
...except that you need to substitute square brackets ( [ ] ) for the wavy brackets ( { } ) that you see in the above example.
Of course the threadid will be different for your AAR than it is for the example I've used.

If you already have the AAR linked in your sig (as many people will), then you don't have to re-link it in your "reply" in the update thread. You can just post;
Just starting a new AAR called "Cyprus - The Last Crusade" (see link in sig).

Now I know that it's pretty obvious that the country is Cyprus in the example I've used, but even so it doesn't hurt to give it to me again. In many titles, though, it isn't at all apparent. Also that starting date is a major bonus for me since then I won't have to go and do some reading to pick it out.

Anyway, if you folks wouldn't mind following that format as much as possible, it'd sure be a major time-saver for me.

Of course there are some exceptions to the above for people who are doing unusual projects like playing multiple countries, doing MP games or collaborative projects, etc. In that case, just give me a rough outline/idea as to what you're doing and I'll figure out how best to list it in the LibrAARy. I don't at all mind spending a little extra time trying to work out the "exceptions"...it's farting around trying to figure out the "normal" ones that I could use the help with.

By the way...for those of you who have already posted a link in the September updates thread, don't re-post it with the new format. Either go back and edit, or leave it as is and I'll figure it out. Otherwise I may accidentally end up with a double listing...

If you've completed an AAR (see definition of "completed" above) then let me know in the update thread too. For that, all I need is for you to tell me the title of the AAR...I don't need the link or anything.

If you start an AAR and the decide (for whatever reason...crash, bug, disinterest...) to abandon it after only a handful of instalments then it should probably not be listed in the LibrAARy. If you would be so good as to post something to that effect in the update thread that would be really appreciated (as Warspite did, for instance, when he abandoned a Spain AAR that he'd started last month since it wasn't working out the way he wanted).

Having now exhausted the possiblities for additional verbosity at the moment... *clicks "submit"*

Last edited: