• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Does Carolus totally rule, 1337 Haxx0rz!?

• Yes, he sure is the 1337!

Votes: 1 100,0%
  • My cat is more 1337 than he!

Votes: 0 0,0%

• Total voters
Chris - good show. If you're still feeling weak, with headaches and whatnot, page Bruce and he'll come over to handfeed you the milk and cookies a recovering guy needs.

Hmm, I'm not sure what I just implied, but now I feel all dirty. :)

driftwood

Originally posted by driftwood

Hmm, I'm not sure what I just implied, but now I feel all dirty. :)

driftwood
Don't feel bad. For some reason so do I... :D

Oh god, I hope that's not what I'm sure it is.

This has to be a violation of some kind of rule, really :mad:

Originally posted by Deaghaidh
Oh god, I hope that's not what I'm sure it is.

This has to be a violation of some kind of rule, really :mad:

Did I miss something on the picture? I didn't think there was anything objectionable. Sorry if I offended anyone (and sorry to Patric if I accidentally posted something offensive).

driftwood

Glad to hear the good news MrT.
I hope the rest will be smooth sailing for ya.

Originally posted by driftwood

Did I miss something on the picture? I didn't think there was anything objectionable. Sorry if I offended anyone (and sorry to Patric if I accidentally posted something offensive).

driftwood

DW: No, I'm pretty sure Deaghaidh is responding to my "those of you familiar with Optic Neutitis" line and knows what they're testing for.

*whines plaintively* "Bruce....I need another cookie" */whines plaintively* :D

Thanks everyone, and a special thank you to Patric for dropping by too. :)

Originally posted by alaexis
p.s. Where did you study Russian 20 years ago?
When we moved to Toronto I went to a private school called the Toronto French School which was a rather interesting place that was styled after the Brittish school system (form school, then O-Levels, then A-Levels) and had quite a broad course availability.

Keep in mind that his was in the mid-late 70's and that I was being "streamed" into the maths and sciences due to my aptitudes in both. The general directions I was thinking at the time were astrophysics or sub-atomic chemistry (a.k.a. particle physics) and the two largest investors in those sciences at the time were arguably the Americans and Russians, thus the majority of scientists would be writing and communicating in either either English or Russian....yes, I know that the French CERNES laboritory was in full swing, and the Germans scientists were also extremely close to the forefront of the field, but the principal nations were the USA and USSR.

The Toronto French School offered Russian as an elective language and I thought it best to take some schooling in it since I could imagine situations where it would be useful to be able to converse with Russians (there were some papers delivered by Russians, in Russian, in the international scientific community even then). Of course the three of four years that I took would not have been enough to discuss research-level projects in any depth in Russian, but it would allow me to communicate with possible counter-parts if the opportunity cropped up.

I think I mentioned in my "bio" when I was honoured with the AAR Writer of the Week that I had spent a wonderful time hitch-hiking through Europe to "find myself". I thank my lucky stars that I was able to go to Yugoslavia and Bulgaria at the time - Canadians could get visas to enter those countries whereas many could not - so I spent some time in both before they became the war-torn zones that they are now. I have vivid memories of the beauty of Sarajevo, Beograd, etc in the height of their beauty, and I spent a lot of time talking to the "peasants" as I hitch-hiked through the regions. I feel terrible, now, when I think what those poor people have been through and done to themselves.

Anyway, by the time I graduated from the Toronto French School I was 100% bilingual in English and French, I had 3-4 years of Russian, 4 years of Latin, and a year of Greek...I never got around to German, much to my later regret since it made for some interesting attempts at conversation when I was in Austria and Germany. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT

Just a reminder that we're getting close to the end of the month. Please make sure that you've given me links to any new AAR starts during August, and that if you've completed an AAR this month you've told me that (here) as well.

*** Please Read *** Important ***

Hi all.

Just a friendly reminder from your neighbourhood LibrAARian that we're almost at month end again and that I will be doing the monthly LibrAARy update soon.

In case you're a newbie (or verteran) who doesn't have the faintest idea what that means...

Stickied at the top of the forum is the AARland, AARtiFAQs, OscAARs and the LibrAARy thread that has been very recently updated to a "new look" by Lord Durham and contains a fantastic collection of links to the various important resources that this forum has to offer to help you with many aspects of writing AARs, getting feedback, and so on.

Included in that thread is a complete LibrAARy listing of every AAR that has been written on the EU2 forum. It identifies the country, author, type of game, whether it is a completed AAR, as so on, and is useful if you'd like to read about a specific country, check out which ones have (and haven't) been played, check out what other AARs have been written by a particular author, look back at some of the survey results, and stuff like that. This portion of the thread is my responsibility to to keep updated, and to do that I very urgently need your help (otherwise it becomes too daunting a task to contemplate).

All I ask is that each author - newbie, vetern, or somewhere in between - who begins a new AAR during a month or who completes an AAR during a month just take a moment or two to let me know about it (I usually notice, but I don't actively keep track of it for the purpose of the LibrAARy). To "let me know", all you have to do is go to the current "Monthly Update" sticky and post the information. The Monthly Updates for August thread is the place to post me a note if you've started one this month, finished one this month, or notice an error in the existing librAARy listings that needs to be corrected.

The August Update thread will be closed in another couple of days, so if you want to see your AAR listed in the update, make sure you've told me about it by the 31st or you'll have to wait until the end of September. Pretty please...don't make me have to go and look to see who didn't bother to take the time (actually, Sharur - bless his soul - did it for me last month).

As I said before, most of you know that I've noticed your new AAR, or your completed AAR, but that doesn't mean that I've done the update for you in the LibrAARy because it takes much less time for me if I do them all at once at the end of the month and working from one collected thread like the Monthly Update thread.

It's very, very easy to do, takes only a minute of your time, and will prevent me from suffering a relapse that will put me right back in hospital (there's a threat! :D).

Thank you, in advance, for thinking of my fagile medical state and helping me out. :)

The LibrAARian.

Optic neuritis ???

Gooooooooooogle !

Optic Neuritis, ... bla bla bla, inflammation of the optic nerve, ... bla bla bla ... nerve fibers do not work properly ... bla bla bla ... many diseases and conditions may cause optic neuritis ... bla bla bla ... most of the time, however, we cannot discover a cause for optic neuritis. In those cases, we call the neuritis idiopathic.

Mmmmh, idiopathic ? A very very stupid bug, then ??? :D

Bla bla bla ... vision is blurred in one or both eyes. The vision is also dim, like somebody turned down the lights, and colors may appear to be washed out ...

Mmmmh, [wondering, wondering] I know people prone to serious hangovers causing the same effects :p[/wondering, wondering].

Bla bla bla ... Fortunately, most patients with optic neuritis improve without treatment.

Now, that's good news ! :D

Bon, ben y a plus qu'a souhaiter que tu fasses partie de cette catégorie de chanceux ! ;)
Bon retour parmis nous, et bon rétablissement ! :)

Cat

Good to hear you're on the rebound. That said, you most definitely don't want to do anything the doctors advise you not to do so. As redundant as that sounds, I've volunteered at hospitals and can assure you that when doctors tell you not do something, there's a very good reason.

For my next AAR...

Greetings all.

As some of you may or may not have noticed, I´ve started work on a Polish AAR (which there´s a link to in my sig:D ), and I´m about to start a second one as well, as Ethiopia or Oman.

Now, if you´ve read my AAR you will have noticed the style I´ve used for it, (can´t explain the style) which is pretty much a requisite for answering my following question.

The question is: For the next story, do you think I should keep to my current style, or perhaps try a more dialogue- oriented one?

Or any other kind of style you can think of. All suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you in advance,

Oleg

i like dialouge AARs better