• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Colonial Expansion, 1715-28

Sorry it's been so long since I updated, been out of town all week.

Storey: The Austrians really seem to like fighting me. It seems the more land I take from them the more they feel like attacking me and giving me more. Oh well...

jwolf: Coud be the BB. I'm surprised as well, generally once I get as big and as rich as I am now, other countires generally leave me alone.

Recent colonial wars with the English had lead many in Istanbul to investiagte the colonial situation more carefully than they had been in the last several years. For as long as anyone could remember these days, the colonies had been a wonderful place to send people the state considered "undesirables", criminals, the permanently unemployed, and perhaps most importantly, the troublesome nomadic tribes who could make life difficult for the settled people when their numbers weren't kept in check. However, these halcyon days were rapidly coming to an end. There was no longer virgin territory for the Ottoman government to claim, all neighboring provinces in the American and African colonies were in hostile English, French, or Omani hands.

The one exception to this rule was the tribal nation of the Iroquois, a native people of the Americans who managed to get their tribal confederacy recognized by the colonial powers as a state. By no means did the primitive Iroquois have the necessary military or economic strength to back their claim to statehood, but the Ottomans, English, and French each recognized the Iroquois when they felt it likely one of their more advanced neighbors would infringe upon Iroquois sovreignity and thereby gain additional lands and resources. So the Iroquois confederacy lived on in difficult circumstances, its existence depending above all else on its ability to play the neighboring states off against one another, all with the sobering realization that a determined invasion by any of the colonial powers could easily destroy their state. The English indeed had already mounted two armed invasion of Iroquois territory, which were only defeated thanks to inadequate planning on the English side. They had received covert assistance from both the French and Ottoman governments on each occasion, but neither side was willing to loan guns or artillery to the Iroquois, as a strong confederacy neighboring the sparsely populated colonies was definitely something all powers could agree was undesirable in the extreme.

Yet the Ottoman government, facing a renewed call for colonial missions from the people of Syria after a nomadic tribe had raided as far as the suburbs of Damascus. The Ottoman government decided after the Damascus incident that new lands would have to be opened in the New World, which would involve the destruction of the Iroquois confederacy. The Ottomans carefully assembled a fully equipped army, 22,000 men strong, to do the job that English colonial levies had failed to do. This force was to ensure that Iroquois lands could be effectively occupied and to ensure that neither the English nor the French would choose to intervene on the Iroquois side. The war itself was the easiest part, the well-armed and disciplined Ottoman troops requiring only 7 months in 1136-37/1724 to overrun and annex the Iroquois lands.

The Turkish government then resorted to scorched-earth tactics to drive the remaining Iroquois tribesmen to the virgin western territories, many of the Iroquois people took this route even as several Arab tribes were migrated in their entirity from Syria. Of the Iroquois who remained in their ancestral lands, most quickly assimilated into the new Arabic and Turkish speaking settlements, marrying with immigrant families and accepting Islam, nominally at first but becoming genuine converts as the years went by and the old traditions slowly forgotten (an event switches both Iroquois provinces to Turkish culture and Sunni religion). Other remnants fled southwards to English territory, where the English government gladly added the tribesmen to its local levies and found a new excuse to complain in internaional forums against the "brutish Turks" to which the Ottomans responded by trotting out the Cherokee remanants they settled in Roanoake colony, which the English attempted to argue was a "completely different" situation without much success. Ottoman colonial momentum set in once again and in addition to Turkifying the former lands of the Iroquois, the virgin territories of Irondekoit and Onodaga were settled by Turkish frontiersmen.

Turkcolony3.jpg

North America in 1726

Perserving the Empire, 1728-42

hurricanehunter: Hey, there are worse things to be, don't let it worry you.

jwolf: Illinois, that is pretty far out for me, I guess you're safe...

The next decade or so in Ottoman history was marked by an enormous increase in the number of internal revolts. Much of this instability was connected with the death of Ahmed III in 1143/1730, whereupon a great many of the cultural contacts fostered between Europe and the Ottoman lands were severed in a conservative reaction spearheaded by the partisans of the new Sultan Mahmud I. The fight between the supporters of Mahmud and the supporters of Ahmed grew to the intensity of a low-level civil war on several occasions in the first decade of Mahmud's reign as Sultan. While Mahmud held the reins of government other revolts occured in the outlying provinces, specfically in Hungary and the North African lands.

Hungary first erupted in religious revolt in 1145/1732 and almost five years of fighting rebel bands was required before the Hungarian rebels were silenced once more. Most observers of the time attributed the Hungarian revolts to a new religious movement sweeping across the Magyar lands, sad lands that had seen wars of foreign domination blacken their native soil for the better part of the last 200 years. The Austrians had ruled the land only to lose much of it to the Ottomans, the attempt to bring the land under Hungarian rule once more in the 1140s/1730s was a decisve failure, though the Ottoman government was able to make little headway into the countryside, where Ottoman governors were still resisted and there was little chance of a Turkish ruling elite managing a succesful seizure of power.

As if the Hungarian revolts weren't enough, the Deys of Algeirs, Tripoli, and Tunis all chose this time to attempt a clean break with Ottoman rule, the subsequent pacification of the Maghrib kept the bulk of Ottoman forces busy throughout the first decade of rule by Mahmud I. Fortunately for the Ottomans, there were no major foreign wars to concern the empire with in a decade in which the bulk of the empire's manpower was spent guarding the home front.

God, I'm Ottoman too...

OTOH, it looks like the English are doing well. The US might actually form this time!

The Conquest of Crete and the Mediterranean Arms Race, 1743-60

catknight: the English are indeed doing impressively well, we might just see the USA (sort of) in this game. Been a while since the last update, sorry, Grad's school's started again and my free time has declined accordingly.

As the 1740s wore on, the enthusiasm of the revolters slowly waned and internal stability was restored to the Ottoman lands. The divan decided it was time to bring the ruling class together by the good old standby of beating up on foreign people. This time the hobbled republic of Venice, at one time the empire's chief rival for Mediterranean hegemony, was chosen as target after Ottoman travellers were harrassed in the Venetian lagoon. The war was short and the victory easy as the Ottoman forces reduced the Venetian strongholds of Crete and even Venice itself within a few short months. The Venetians fielded what little of an army they could but their organization and technology was woefully behind the present state-of-the-art(land 31 v. land 45) and Venice was forced to surrender Crete, the last outpost of their once mighty Mediterranean empire, to the Ottomans along with 230 ducats in indemnitites. This left Venice with only their Itlian holdings around the lagoon and their distant colony of the Bahamas to their credit.

After conquering Crete, the Ottomans settled in to a different competition with their rivals for Mediterranean power, the Spainards, the Austrians and the French. These four countries were the present contenders for empire in the Mediterranean, the Spanish having only recently relieved the Dutch of the island of Cyprus and thereby eliminating the Dutch toehold in the region. As the remainder of the known world was left in the metaphorical dust, the Spanish, French, Austrian, and Ottoman empires emptied thier treasuries and exploited their brainpower to the full in the race to possess the newest and finest weapons of destruction available in the world, the remaining nations in the Meditarranean basin could only watch helplessly as the competing empires military capabilities increased by leaps and bounds while the bulk of the region stagnated (land techs as of 1760--Austria 48, Ottomans 47, Spain 47, France 46, Netherlands (5th place) 35). The Ottomans were of course an Asian and African empire as well as a Mediterranean one, but their nearest competitors in these regions were even further backward militarily than the other Mediterranean nations, the Persians clocking in at a miserable 19 while Morocco led the African nations at 30.

Taking Dalmatia, 1760-90

Well, it seems to have been about five weeks since the last post, which is quite bad of me. Grad school started up again, and the 2 25-page papers due by December have been taking up a good chunk of my time. In the unlikely event that someone still cares, I'm going to rattle off the last two installments of this AAR in 30-year chunks, beginning now...

Following the conquest of Crete, the Ottoman war machine was once again feeling the weight of forward momentum. A good many conservatives occupied the highest posts of the bureaucracy by now and new war plans were slow in formulating, largely thanks to the divan's confidence that a breakthough in military technology was due in Ottoman lands shortly before it could be expected to affect Spain. The divan proved correct in this, and as soon as the breakthough to revolutionary (land 51) armies was made in Ottoman lands, the decision was made to attack the Dalmatian possessions of Spain, who were slightly behind in the technological arms race (land 49). The war turned out much easier than the conservative bureaucrats had anticipated, the Spanish having few local forces stationed in Dalmatia and proving either unwilling or unable to bring in troops from other areas of the Spanish empire. Dalmatia, Istria, Albania, and the Morea were occupied with little difficulty, while most of the actual fighting was confined to some scattered skirmishes in Roanoake and the Craibbean Sea. The Spanish finally yielded Dalmatia and Istria provinces in 1187/1773 and the Empire was at peace once more, with its control over the Adriatic coast confirmed at last.

The new provinces and their access to the sea brought immediate gains to the Empire, and the development of commerce and civilian infrastructure was much accelerated, even as research into new military technologies slackened in the aftermath of the easy victory. The war with the Spainards also set off a prolonged period of internal and external peace, which was good for the country despite its harmful effects on the largely inactive military. Only a few scattered revolts but largely unsupported separtists kept the army busy during the long peaceful years, the empire's economic development reaching new heights however, which a fresh building spurt in state-sponsored manufacturies in Mecca, Transkei, and Alexandria and a further colonization and development of the American colonies, all of which had attained full provinical status by the 1200th year of the Hijra. Towards the very end of the long peace came the first stirrings of possible trouble, as a new ideology of nationalism slowly began spreading to the four corners of the world, a development which was especially worrying for a multiethnic empire such as that of the Ottoman Turks.

zacharym87 said:
...as a new ideology of nationalism slowly began spreading to the four corners of the world, a development which was especially worrying for a multiethnic empire such as that of the Ottoman Turks.

This sounds like trouble. Do the Turks get nationalistic revolutions during this era?

It was nice to see your Ottomans were able to give another mathematics lesson to the Spanish: 51-49.