• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lautipus

First Lieutenant
26 Badges
May 8, 2017
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Semper Fi
  • Darkest Hour
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
A new Hungary
Started 12th of November 2017
Ended 10th of April 2018
Version: TFH 4.02
Scenario: The Road to war, 1936
Game end date 2nd of October 1946
Goal: "To make Hungary great again" or to be more specific, to make it a glorious nation that *SPOILER ALERT* has a navy
Style: a bit narrative, historical and unhistorical, sarcastic etc.

*NOTE: I will use no neutrality so that I can start a war, but it will make kinda sense in the context.*

Hope you enjoy it!.

1. Chapter: The crisis
January - May 1936
The year is 1936, the great depression has deeply influenced Hungary as a whole. Not to mention recent history in the last 20 years. From the communist uprising, to the occupation of Romania, the kingdom of Hungary went through some hard times. Since the Entente did not allow the comeback of Charles the fourth a regent was assigned, under whom the people will enjoy glory, our one and only admiral Miklós Horthy.
800px-Admiral_Horthy%2C_WW1_postcard.jpg

Let´s see what we have to work with.
oua4ps.jpg

The resources are good though low in numbers. Our greatest concern is the lowering of national unity which is due to unemployment. To lower it the prime minister Gyula Gömbös suggested to build some artilery "since the one we have was used by our fathers" as he said. The regent approved 2 divisions. Also the army needs some modernization.
11kza0i.jpg

Looks like the pizza's ingredients will be delivered on time. :D
rtgbyx.jpg

The work horse of our railway is the MAV 424.
2emiukg.jpg

Our engineers and research groups have been given the task to improve selected technologies. Since the country is in dire need for jobs we go for industry!
2labjft.jpg

As the decisions of our regent proved to be good to unite the Hungarians, a more effective industrial law comes into effect.
3sylt.jpg

Looks like that we are getting slowly out of this crisis. Our foreign minister informed us that Italy puppet Ethiopia on the 22nd of March.

In April we managed so salvage a major company from bankruptcy by nationalizing it. After solving this issue the prime minister Gömbös went to Germany.
2agu5wl.jpg

In the middle of May our troops received the much needed field artillery.
25i9jyo.jpg

The army appears to have a "field" day. ;)
hu%2B7%2Bartillery%2Bpavesi%2Btractor.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome back to AAR writing @Lautipus! I whish you best luck with creating a mavy worthy of the Admiral!;)

Yes, good luck with this one!

2. Chapter: The growth!
May-November 1936

After the first field guns being dispatched to the army, double the amount was in production.
27yrbe8.jpg

Our foreign minister reports about hostilities in Spain.
2d1lm61.jpg

Looks like that the red menace is still present.
s4z56x.jpg

Good news come as the prime minister returns from a business trip from Germany and Italy.
Gömbös: The situation in Spain is not good.
Horthy: Indeed, do you remember how it was after the war?
Gömbös: Bad times, very bad. On the other hand my regent, I bring good news. The Italians are interested to buy up to 200 MAV 424 locomotives in a 5 year period.
Horthy: That´s marvelous news.
Gömbös: They want some modifications, but this will provide jobs for around 2000 people.
Horthy:This aside, how is your health?
Gömbös: I will have a surgery in Viena, the date is not known. Can you sign this papers for the Italian trains?
Horthy: Gyula, please keep me up to date with your situation, ok? Where all do I sign?
Gömbös: I will my regent. Here, here and here, also we will have to extend the production.
Horthy: It is sure worth it.
Gömbös: It is, it is.​

fn8zgk.jpg

It was a good timing from our research groups and engineers.
2hrnxfl.jpg

Beside the Spanish civil war there was also something else going on.
e66c76.jpg

The people of Hungary are working at it´s finest.
28horxs.jpg

In October our prime minister succumbed to cancer. People from all corners of our country came to pay him respect. This really left a mark on the regent, he turned to solitude for some weeks.
maxresdefault.jpg

In November the admiral regent, was invited to Italy.
738px-Mikl%C3%B3s_Horthy_de_Nagyb%C3%A1nya-Pd-italy-334.jpg

As he finally was able to talk (there were no more military parades and show offs) to Vittorio Emanuele III.​
Horthy: Your army is very impressive king.
V. E. III: I´ve heard that your is not lacking behind.
Horthy: Yes I did improve the army in the last year. On the other hand I am really happy of your purchase of our trains.
V. E. III: What purchase Miklos?
Horthy: The one about 200 MAV 424, that Gömbös concluded with you.
V. E. III: I am sorry Horthy but there is no such deal.
Horthy mind: Was Gyula lying? What have I signed then? Wait, the army is holding exercises
Benito Mussolini came and said: So Horthy, are you enjoying the show? I´ve just heard that your army..........​

Position of the royal Army, that was supposed to hold exercises, on the day the regent went to Italy.
2nlwxso.jpg

A play on Austria to preempt German Anschluss and recreate Austria-Hungary? A smart play. And do I detect a personal interest you may have in the idea of A-H? :D

It appears that Horthy has accidentally authorised an invasion of Austria. He really should learn to check the papers before he signs.:confused: Although, it makes for some more comedy and aggressive gameplay for us readers to witness, so I wont be too harsh on him.:p

I believe I have to echo what @Bullfilter said, there is indeed a striking reason to think so.;)

A play on Austria to preempt German Anschluss and recreate Austria-Hungary? A smart play. And do I detect a personal interest you may have in the idea of A-H? :D
You may be right :p (you are), but to be honest, I have to grab the territory as much as I can, before Germany or Italy starts. To get IC, resources and everything else that a great power may need. Also Horthy was the last Admiral of the A-H navy so some kind of ideas to recreate the empire would make sense or not? :)

It appears that Horthy has accidentally authorised an invasion of Austria. He really should learn to check the papers before he signs.:confused: Although, it makes for some more comedy and aggressive gameplay for us readers to witness, so I wont be too harsh on him.:p

I believe I have to echo what @Bullfilter said, there is indeed a striking reason to think so.;)
Yes, but for an attack was also needed to have the authorization of the PM. But you will get to know more in the next update as the admiral returns home. :)
It was harder to make reasonable choice, but I am doing my best. I am glad that you are enjoying this AAR. :)

It´s true, I was actually kinda sad that A-H AAR went that good, there was no thrill :(

btw do you guys have any suggestions how to make the AAR better/more enjoyable?

btw do you guys have any suggestions how to make the AAR better/more enjoyable?
I’d just go with your own flow, what you’re comfortable with. Perhaps, using the style you started with, you could have Horthy (or some other characters from the Ministry) discuss the reasons for a decision later, if you don’t want to give it away in advance. It’s also up to you whether you want make decisions, surprise readers and hope for comments, or try to bring them into the discussion and invite ideas (you still decide of course). Just depends on what you want: you’re da boss! :D

I second Bullfilter's thoughts. Though I do not know your method, I think it a good habit for any writer to always delay and give a couple of days pass before a re-read your story updates...which I should add; I did NOT do in my first AARs.:)

3. Chapter: The plan
November 1936 - April 1937

Miklos Horthy was terrified about the fact that he has unknowingly authorized an attack on Austria. But still he didn´t finish his state visit earlier. He acted as if it was normal. Even though the press wanted his statement about the situation but he gave none.

The Imperial army attacks!
2a0kpx1.jpg

The battle of Vienna.
2142i6t.jpg

Mountain troops came in defense of the city, but it only prolonged the inevitable.
1so3r4.jpg
Horthy called up an immediate meeting with the chief of staff Gustav Henneyey. The meeting was held hour within the admiral arrival in Hungary.
Miklos: Gustav, what the hell is this? Who ordered the attack? Why I was not notified about this?
Gustav: Aaam sir, you did. You and Gömbös both signed it in August. It was classified above top secret. Weren´t you informed about the attack?
Miklos: No, Gömbös said that I am signing some trade agreements. Have we officially declared war?
Gustav: Yes, we sent our diplomat a cople of hours before our troops attacked.
Miklos: I order you to stop the offensive.
Gustav: But my regent, the people support your decision to attack. It was kinda weird though that you went to Italy.
Miklos: We have public support? Than I guess I can finish my last order.
Gustav: Order? But you are the supreme commander of Imperial forces?
Miklos: I mean my last order given to me as the admiral of the KuK Marine, form the kaiser and king himself.
Gustav: From Charles IV? What was the order, that´s so important? Isn´t it a bit late, I mean the empire has colapsed 18 years ago.
Miklos: Yes from him. He said to me, to take care of the people of empire, not to let them get hurt. And the more the time I spent with Hitler I have a bad feeling, all the rearmament thing...
Servant steps in to update the situation on the front. After ferocious battles Vienna has fallen.

2ica3xz.jpg

9sz11z.jpg

Horthy accepting the Austrian surrender.
Bar%C3%A1tok_Temploma%2C_Horthy_Mikl%C3%B3s_korm%C3%A1nyz%C3%B3._Fortepan_4598.jpg

Miklos: Congratulations Henneyey, you did a good job with Austria.
Gustav: Thank you my regent. I will go now if you excuse me.
Miklos: Of course Gustav, but one more thing, get plans ready for us to regain the sea.

Economical situation is marvelous less than half a year after the fall of Austria.
2rr77o4.jpg

Miklos Horthy writing in his own memoirs.
"I knew Gömbös had ambitions, but never expected him to declare war in such a way. May he rest in peace. Luckily there were almost no casualties. I never expected this but I may be the one to recreate Austria-Hungary. The previous day I dream about the years when I was in the navy. Now we have none, there is almost no glory left of what was the previous empire. Perhaps it´s time to bring it back.​

I’d just go with your own flow, what you’re comfortable with. Perhaps, using the style you started with, you could have Horthy (or some other characters from the Ministry) discuss the reasons for a decision later, if you don’t want to give it away in advance. It’s also up to you whether you want make decisions, surprise readers and hope for comments, or try to bring them into the discussion and invite ideas (you still decide of course). Just depends on what you want: you’re da boss! :D
Ok I will do as you say, I am good at improvising. Of course, there is no doubt about that I am in charge here! :D

I second Bullfilter's thoughts. Though I do not know your method, I think it a good habit for any writer to always delay and give a couple of days pass before a re-read your story updates...which I should add; I did NOT do in my first AARs.:)
Thank you for your pieces of advice. I am already doing something similar. :)

Austria fell rather quickly indeed!:) Now that Horthy is seeing the glory in Gömbös' plan, one can only guess which of the Balkan states stands next in line to be re-integrated. Perhaps it will be Yugoslavia, for Horthy might want those ports.

And I'll just have to go with the flow: do whatever you feel suits you best. I have learnt that I am far to fussy about the quality of my writing (whilst the result never reaches my ambition). I would like you not to make this mistake, but rather keep up your motivation high. With time you will find out what you personally think is good for an AAR, and then that's the only important opinion. If you enjoy what you create, we will do so as well!:)

Yes, a quick victory in Austria and that is some significant industrial capacity that is coming on line quite early! But with Austria out of the way (and out of Hitler’s clutches, for now anyway), your next target will not be so easy. Yugoslavia is large and has quite a strong army, as does Romania (on which you have some serious territorial claims). And the Czechs have significant forces too.

Has Horthy decided on a factional alignment for the new Empire? Will it be the Axis, one of the other two, or even neutrality? And do you think you will join in WW2 when it comes, or try to stay out, having achieved (you hope) the rebuilding of the old A-H?

Just curious - if answering any of those questions reveals top secret planning you don’t want to reveal, no worries ;)!

Austria fell rather quickly indeed!:) Now that Horthy is seeing the glory in Gömbös' plan, one can only guess which of the Balkan states stands next in line to be re-integrated. Perhaps it will be Yugoslavia, for Horthy might want those ports.

And I'll just have to go with the flow: do whatever you feel suits you best. I have learnt that I am far to fussy about the quality of my writing (whilst the result never reaches my ambition). I would like you not to make this mistake, but rather keep up your motivation high. With time you will find out what you personally think is good for an AAR, and then that's the only important opinion. If you enjoy what you create, we will do so as well!:)
Indeed it did, yes this is the logical enemy since I will have access to the open sea. :)
I have checked your Pacific Empire AAR, it was very good! I will try to keep some historical accuracy, like the Hungarian fear of Communism, but we shall see how the game will develop. I am enjoying this AAR, don´t worry about that :D

Yes, a quick victory in Austria and that is some significant industrial capacity that is coming on line quite early! But with Austria out of the way (and out of Hitler’s clutches, for now anyway), your next target will not be so easy. Yugoslavia is large and has quite a strong army, as does Romania (on which you have some serious territorial claims). And the Czechs have significant forces too.

Has Horthy decided on a factional alignment for the new Empire? Will it be the Axis, one of the other two, or even neutrality? And do you think you will join in WW2 when it comes, or try to stay out, having achieved (you hope) the rebuilding of the old A-H?

Just curious - if answering any of those questions reveals top secret planning you don’t want to reveal, no worries ;)!
Also the resources! But what I really need is leadership points. I am aware of that, I have to upgrade and expand my army. I think that Czechoslovakia has the strongest army out of my neighbors if we exclude Germany and Italy.
No he hasn´t decided. As I replied to @Macke11 I want to be kinda historical, like the fear of Communism by the Hungarians. But there are no limits and most importantly, we will see how the game will unfold.
Haha, no my goal is to make Hungary great again and build a navy!! :cool:
I think that I haven´t revealed any of my top secret plans! :p

So I have a question/pool for you guys, since Horthy is and Admiral and he should get a navy, which Capital ship should we research and hopefully get before the 1948? :p (as I can not buy the license of those), here are the options:
a) CA, will be likely that we can build more of them
b) BC, almost a BB but not as good
c) BB, probably will take forever to research and build this
d) SH BB, you´ve got to be kidding me!?

So I have a question/pool for you guys, since Horthy is and Admiral and he should get a navy, which Capital ship should we research and hopefully get before the 1948? :p (as I can not buy the license of those), here are the options:
a) CA, will be likely that we can build more of them
b) BC, almost a BB but not as good
c) BB, probably will take forever to research and build this
d) SH BB, you´ve got to be kidding me!?
I’d say CA: like with Germany after WW1, they are the equivalent of the ‘pocket battleship’. Maybe that and destroyers for the screens? I know you want the navy for Horthy and aesthetic purposes, but do you plan to actually use it for something important? Your other option (lacking leadership to develop a whole class of ships properly) is to get close enough to a major power to buy licenses off them and just concentrate (if at all) on a few key doctrines.

I’ve been forced into something similar with Turkey in my AAR, except for me it is more about armour and air units (having given up on a navy for now). Interestingly, I have been going through a similar set of decisions to you about the Balkans, but coming from the other direction!