• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks. I thought steering trade with a merchant through the nodes multiplied the profit earned in the capital. Is that wrong? If I don't steer but collect in every node, wouldn't that be suboptimal compared to collecting in the capital?

Ming only has her tributaries left neighbouring him aside from Bahmanis,what's left of Jaunpur. Bengal tries to get out of paying but gets dow'd by Ming. I don't see a way to border Ming but aside from the rivalry, Ming is interested in making me a tributary. I guess now is the time to become tributary.

I guess I will expand to get Novgorod as a vassal? Not try to use crimea for the land in Russia? Because I'm either going to annex Crimea or punjab next.

I was thinking of attacking the shiites, Bahmanis, Shirvan and coptics now. Makuria, etc. And with attacking Russia, I guess I can take on Ethiopia for the gold mines?

Last edited:
I don't know the latest patch but I don't want to rely on stealing maps or CNs to be able to attack anywhere. Of course as you said I might use no Cbs to attack but...
Most of the time you can just wait Imperialism except for 1-2 crucial wars to open new fronts (Maldives is a common one for instance).

Just learned something. If you become a tributary, you can't annex vassals. At least for some reason my annexation got stopped.

It's a bug that was in 1.22 also. You can make and annex vassals, but you will lose any current annexation progress when becoming a tributary and have to start over.

The modifier expires after some time, but it's a nasty one. And you can readd, yes. Either convert before adding to TC, or don't convert at all.

I would convert TCs last for a One Faith. Not worth it to wait for missionaries.

It's worth noting that an Ottoman WC should be much easier on 1.23 with +5 advisors despite the nerfs.

Depends on your conversion rate / # of missionaries. As Copttomans/DotF/Religious I had 6-7 missionaries with enough strength to convert pretty much everything in 7-12 months. Sunnis in 1.22 with full piety/Religous should be pretty similar, no? In that situation, might as well convert first. Then again, I don't think I'm conquering quite as fast as you do :p.

In 1.23 though, I hear Muslim missionary strength has been severely nerfed, so converting all TC after the fact for OF is the right call.

Don't get expansion. This does not give explorators so it does not help removing TI. And it costs admin points.

I would convert TCs last for a One Faith. Not worth it to wait for missionaries.

It's worth noting that an Ottoman WC should be much easier on 1.23 with +5 advisors despite the nerfs.
I won't say easier. Since the lost of Persia cores and more dev, the Persia/timi area cost more time to chew through it.

Sorry about hijacking the thread but I don't see Chu or Shun in Ming. There are other possible vassals though. I still haven't been able to attack Ming because Ayut and Pasai need multiple wars.

I won't say easier. Since the lost of Persia cores and more dev, the Persia/timi area cost more time to chew through it.

Harder until that point but the extra +2/month is a huge buff. Can tank UD for the whole game and core however much more 24 adm/year allows.

Sorry about hijacking the thread but I don't see Chu or Shun in Ming. There are other possible vassals though. I still haven't been able to attack Ming because Ayut and Pasai need multiple wars.

You can release any tags in Ming as they all have the same religion and pretty much the same ideas and the same amount of cores.

I guess the plan is to make them core Ming provinces because I remember that there were more cores for vassal reconquest before this patch. I doubt they lost their cores in time though here so probably try to release Shun and Chu anyway.

I'm hoping to dow ming before 1650 but we will see. I guess it's not that important to take provinces north of Ming like Qirat but south east like Ayut, Pasai. I will probably pass over Brunei before breaking tributary with Ming. Khmer, Ayuthaya and Pasai left.

I'm only attacking Russia to have Novgorod core provinces at the moment in the west. Didn't even release Morocco from Spain and Portugal's union.

I guess the strategy is to leave Catholics and Protestants until after Ming is dealt with or between truces with Ming?

I took Exploration ideas because some of the map still isn't shown. I'm fighting wars for France to keep the alliance against Spain for a piece of land that isn't shown on my map.

Diplo points aren't a problem for now.

Only have Novgorod as vassals, with two more vassals possible, I guess I will try ally another power or two in the west.

Last edited:
Depends on your conversion rate / # of missionaries. As Copttomans/DotF/Religious I had 6-7 missionaries with enough strength to convert pretty much everything in 7-12 months. Sunnis in 1.22 with full piety/Religous should be pretty similar, no? In that situation, might as well convert first. Then again, I don't think I'm conquering quite as fast as you do :p.

In 1.23 though, I hear Muslim missionary strength has been severely nerfed, so converting all TC after the fact for OF is the right call.

Islamic one faith should be possible in 1.23, but not worth doing unless you're looking for a more challenging path. Unify Islam will take longer and having no mysticism boost for most of the game will make things slow. Subjects will convert as effectively as animist/totemist subjects (not very). You can cycle for inquisitors and spam cathedrals and get it done, but it will be unpleasant. Coptomans or a Catholic European start are the way to go for One Faith now IMO.

You can release any tags in Ming as they all have the same religion and pretty much the same ideas and the same amount of cores.

Miao takes religious. Many of them take humanist (won't convert for most faiths). Shun doesn't take either so will gradually convert.

I broke tribute with Ming and DoW'd them at around 1651 with their mandate at 0. They had star forts everywhere. My armies couldn't easily siege the forts without running into supply limit issues. Still with lots of cannons and a general with 4 stars in sieges, took some forts.

At first the war was going well, I had Ming lose 100k men to my 25k. Then suddenly their armies recovered and tanked my manpower along theirs. It turns out they had 93k mercs while I was trying to take down the level 6 forts. Defeated them in 3 years. With mercs, they drove my manpower to 0 along theirs.

I attacked a tributary, forced them to white peace. Now in 3 years, I will have to fight them again. My manpower can recover but I need the armies to attack in the west. Their mandate hit zero, can they implode? With Ayuthaya already around I had to core land myself, which led to Russia being fed to Novgorod.

Possible vassals; annexed by Spian with northern africa cores, Portugal; diplo annexed to Austria,Hungary. I need to deal with Ming fast to take on Spain-Austria alliance. Any tips?

I broke tribute with Ming and DoW'd them at around 1651 with their mandate at 0. They had star forts everywhere. My armies couldn't easily siege the forts without running into supply limit issues. Still with lots of cannons and a general with 4 stars in sieges, took some forts.

At first the war was going well, I had Ming lose 100k men to my 25k. Then suddenly their armies recovered and tanked my manpower along theirs. It turns out they had 93k mercs while I was trying to take down the level 6 forts. Defeated them in 3 years. With mercs, they drove my manpower to 0 along theirs.

I attacked a tributary, forced them to white peace. Now in 3 years, I will have to fight them again. My manpower can recover but I need the armies to attack in the west. Their mandate hit zero, can they implode? With Ayuthaya already around I had to core land myself, which led to Russia being fed to Novgorod.

Possible vassals; annexed by Spian with northern africa cores, Portugal; diplo annexed to Austria,Hungary. I need to deal with Ming fast to take on Spain-Austria alliance. Any tips?
Don't bet on Ming to implode It won't happen. If you able to full annex Ming by 1700, you can consider you did it fast, unless you truce break it.

Them not shrugging off a defeat that saw their army to go from 270k to around 100k and with no manpower, would be enough even if they didn't implode. That's why I wanted to ask if I overlooked something.