0% Habitability Planets: Colonizing them is not Intuitive. Show difficulty as a high number, rather than low.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Crassadon

Private
30 Badges
Jul 19, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
A player didn't know they could colonize a 0% planet. . . They had a terrible time, and quit the game after 100 years. When I see the description "0%" I think that means that no one can succeed there: That the colony will be lost if we attempt to establish it. I thought the same thing as this player did, too.

Maybe the scale should start at 1, for the planet of your chosen type, and increase as the difficulty for colonization goes up:

So the player would read: "Oh, this planet has a difficulty rating of 85. Must be very difficult to set up cities there." Everyone likes seeing "#1," so when your chosen planet type is found, you'll know it's a good place, and you'll see a low number, and know it's a low difficulty to build a colony there. This would be more intuitive.

I've been playing Stellaris with my mate since the game was released. They love playing with the ring world start. However, using a space faring origin, means that every single planet has a 0% habitability rating. This has never been a problem, because they always form many migration treaties very quickly, so they've never noticed that Ring World Origin causes a 0% habitability rating on planets. They really never noticed that!! They had no idea.

This weekend, they had unfriendly AI around. The only close friendly one was another space faring race, and farther out there was another friendly AI who was too far away to form a migration treaty easily.

After 100 years, my mate quit the game.

They didn't know they could colonize 0% planets. Just like me, when they read 0%, they think that means they can't settle there at all.

Our whole weekend was wasted. My mate works 12 hour shifts. . . losing a weekend is a really sad thing for us. We played 100 years.

There has got to be a better way to show how difficult colonizing different planets is. I think using a difficulty rating, that goes up as the planet is more difficult to colonize, would be intuitive and easy to understand.

Reactions:
Glad to read that both of you keep learning about the game after so many time, the game is so complex! But it's no reason to rage quit and ask for a better signaling of an information that already is displayed fine and clear in tooltips for habitability and colonization. I mean, do you read tooltips at all? Do you really equip defense platforms with kinetics in pulsar systems? Don't you really seek to achieve max happiness on your worlds as a mean to increase production? ...

Tip:
Even if higher upkeep for low habitability is unbearable, you can always colonize with droids, or even before with base robots, provided you pay for the cost of enough biotics to run a Robot Assembly Factory (then prevent them to reproduce by planetary decision).

Reactions:
Personally 0% planets shouldn't be colonization, but the tech tree should react to the fact that you haven't colonized yet and increase weight for techs that can solve that problem. Glandular acclimation, Droid workers, terraforming (life seeded), Habitats should all get boosted weight if you haven't colonized anywhere yet and show up earlier when needed. Technology should react to your empire's situation, it already boosts military techs when your at war.

Shattered Ring got its own habitability in 3.0 maybe that's why you didn't notice it before now. I also think the origin should place archeology sites on the damaged segments that when cleared allows you to immediately repair and colonize it. (Using difficulty, resources, and time gates rather than a random late-game tech)