• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Battle Was Lost. October, 1943
The Battle Was Lost. October, 1943

And the next day it started. At first we thought that there were not that many of them, coming in two lines through a narrow pass between two hills, followed by infantry squads, just behind, but then the pass opened into a hilly plain and they split their formation into a wide one, at least twenty machines wide against our hastily dug-in trenches.

It took another hour to coordinate, but soon the plan of our command started to work - 4 divisions rammed into the backs of advancing Germans, and scattering their rearguard troops.

nPcEDyN.png

Time is what we do not have anymore. Gostivar, October 6, 1943

Our line somehow held for whole three days of unrelenting assault. We managed to hit and damage several tanks, but our losses were becoming unbearable. Lack of any serious trenches did not allow us to rotate our troops, as little as we had, or even get the ammunition and meal in, and the wounded out. The feeling of despair was growing beyond what we could bear, and then, on the morning of October 9, a retreat signal was sounded, and we hastily left for Florina. We counted nearly 800 lost in action.

The battle raged further, however. Without us in front of them, Germans gathered what has left and managed to launch an overwhelming counter-attack.

9qcGPv1.png

Churchill tanks of 9th Armoured firing from cover. October 9, 1943

This did not last long, however. In four hours after we withdrew, Germans surrendered in full. Their losses were heavy - more than half tanks burned or damaged, nearly 1200 men lost, 6500 surrendered, while joint forces had close to 400 in casualties.

We all hoped that the battle for Greece was won, when our Militia Corps reached Tirana on October 14, after pushing out Yugoslavian garrison in a short fight.

r6L8cDH.jpg

At an official ceremony in Tirana a lot of guys received their medals "For Battle Merit". And I got my Lieutenant star. October 16, 1943

Last edited:
However, after landing in Athens I found out that it was under Lithuanian government now, and I could produce some supplies now with factories there (when rebuilt) - the efficiency is quite low though, as I think I reached 7 or 8 available IC in total by the end of he update. My army is not that big, so around 1 IC-worth of supply production is sufficient to keep everyone happy and fed. But I cannot accumulate supplies at all.
Do you still have Athens (and Greece) under Lithuanian goverment? If so are you going to/can you rebuild their industry? Is the Lithuanian goverment in exile leaving London and moving to Athens? ;)

And how is the big picture? How is the war going for the Americans in France, the Brits in Italy and the Soviets (wherever they are)? the Japanese in... um, Asia?

Just had a look at this AAR now.

Really good job :)

Thank you, TehDarkMiner, and welcome to the AAR!

Do you still have Athens (and Greece) under Lithuanian goverment? If so are you going to/can you rebuild their industry? Is the Lithuanian goverment in exile leaving London and moving to Athens? ;)

And how is the big picture? How is the war going for the Americans in France, the Brits in Italy and the Soviets (wherever they are)? the Japanese in... um, Asia?

Yeah, we still hold Athens (and whole Peloponnese peninsula), but this is just a sector for which Lithuanian military command is responsible, United Kingdom does the same for the rest of Greece.

And since there are plans underway for Greek government to return within the next 6-8 months, Lithuanians will not move from London for the time being - will stay there until Lithuania is independent again. :)

As for Soviets and Western front - my next two updates will touch on that respectively. I have to write it still though, but at least the game was played until mid December already.

Hey Ilaarum, just popped in to say:

I reviewed your AAR for the AARlander!
Keep up the great work! :)

Last edited:
Congrats on being reviewed Ilaruum! and I just caught up with the rest of the story. The Balkans are giving you quite the bang for your buck aren't they? :laugh:

Congrats on being reviewed Ilaruum! and I just caught up with the rest of the story. The Balkans are giving you quite the bang for your buck aren't they? :laugh:

Welcome back, SPIRTO76!
Yeah, I really bit more then I can possibly chew :D But now I cannot leave just like that.. :)

Clear Skies, Still Sea. End of October, 1943
Clear Skies, Still Sea. End of October, 1943

The celebration of the victory did not take very long. However, we did not immediately returned to the front lines either, which was quite surprising, as the men were now eager to chase Yugoslavians and Romanians further north. While Brits and our volunteer corps were left to man the lines, we were ordered to board trains instead, and move to Thessaloniki. While most of the soldiers were only guessing our further destination, I had heard some discussions with higher rank officers about recent developments in the front, and had some guesses. My discussions with my brother after the war confirmed that I was right.

Apparently, the governments of Allied countries were especially concerned with impressive gains Red Army was making recently in the East front, and the sudden change in Soviet official rhetoric, as Axis forces were pushed from Kiev and Red Army stepped into Bessarabia reaching the west coast of river Dniester.

GzXUHMR.jpg

"Rescue Europe from the fetters of fascist enslavement!" - this was not something that sounded great to the British government. And even less so to ours

In order to counter this advance and to ensure that their sphere of influence in Balkans, British have been in contacts for some time with the representatives of Bulgarian government. My brother was involved in these negotiations, undergoing for several days that October in Cairo.

However, Bulgarians were reluctant to commit to anything, saying that Germans were entrenched in Bulgaria and surrounding countries and did not intend to leave soon, at least until allied forces are reinforced and a full-pledged third front is opened there.

Besides, resistance movement, that was quite wide-spread at that time, was headed by Bulgarian Workers' Party, an outlawed communist party, which did not want direct involvement of Western countries.

In the end, an operation 'Thracian sword' was prepared, involving mainly Lithuanian Liberation Army, and it found approval among the people close to Tsar Boris III and Prime Minister Georgi Kioseivanov, even if opposed by a more moderate Foreign Minister Aleksander Nikolaiev.

nTeKLoB.png

Prime Minister Georgi Kioseivanov - once a secretary to Tsar Boris III, now a Prime Minister - a controversial personality, considered by many as pro-German enough to still any suspicions.

After multiple assurances of military, political and financial assistance were granted for war- and post-wartime cooperation, a 'go' was given for the operation in the beginning of October, and Marines sailed from Tirane through Dardanelles to Black Sea, to reach the Bulgarian shores.

h5wdY8N.jpg

Marines were to secure a beachhead at break of dawn on October 20, 1943

A part of the agreement with Bulgarian authorities, was that the attack would look like an independent landing by Allied forces, not in any way related to Bulgarian government, to avoid any possible repercussions from German forces, stationed all over Bulgaria, and Bulgarian armed forces fighting in Western, Eastern, Italian and Balkan fronts. On the other hand, we were to avoid any unnecessary military or civilian casualties as much as possible.

This was one of the reasons for landing in Burgas first, instead of Varna, which was protected by a full Bulgarian garrison. The landing was apparently quite uneventful, except for several air raids, possibly by Romanian bombers, sinking several small cargo ships with supplies for Marines.

x2Su64a.jpg

For several days British planes were dropping similar leaflets (mostly - in Bulgarian) all over Eastern Bulgaria. October 20-23, 1943

Last edited:
I just hope Bulgaria won't end up as another country in the Eastern Bloc, when now they've probably joined the Axis :sad:

I just hope Bulgaria won't end up as another country in the Eastern Bloc, when now they've probably joined the Axis :sad:

:O They have been in Axis for several years now, this is the chance to get them out of there :)

:O They have been in Axis for several years now, this is the chance to get them out of there :)

You haven't told us! :eek:

Otherwise, Bulgaria as a Lithuanian puppet would be interesting :D

You haven't told us! :eek:

Otherwise, Bulgaria as a Lithuanian puppet would be interesting :D

Well, it looks like you are losing your keen eye for details :S :D A big part of axis troops in Balkans were Bulgarian/under Bulgarian command - check 12-13 pages in particular ;)

Well, it looks like you are losing your keen eye for details :S :D A big part of axis troops in Balkans were Bulgarian/under Bulgarian command - check 12-13 pages in particular ;)

Aw, alright. It's just the updates are quite scarce and the amount of other updates I read in the meantime is... huge, so I naturally forget things :)

It says 1948 on the letter...but it's 1943! :eek:

That's what he said :D

I have now amended the pic a little, but I must admit this is my bad, Bookman Old Style font (which is not that clear when small) was the closest I could find to the Soviet original I copied the note from + a little bit of image compression, as the pic is 800+ pixels wide.. :)

This AAR is awesome. I remember being really excited by the GIE mechanic when HOI3 was announced, but in the 5(?) years since, it's never been really used.

The plucky Lions of Lithuania are amazing and I need to know if their homeland will ever be free.

Great AAR

Thanks to the AARlander which made me discover it !