• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Saxon125

Colonel
44 Badges
Jun 22, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp

xQ7aRpI.png

The Italian Boot: (A Sicily HIP AAR)

So with my Pendragon Chronicles AAR finished, A new AAR will begin specifically as Robert de Hauteville in Sicily in the 1066 HIP start. This AAR will be written in third person from the perspective of someone looking on at the current character of the De Hauteville dynasty.
---
There are a few objectives in this AAR.

Create the Kingdom of Sicily (Completed)

Reclaim Sicily from the Muslims (Completed)

Protect the Papacy against the HRE

Gain some lands in Africa or Outremer (Completed)

---
As for major DLC I have the following.
---
Sons Of Abraham

The Old Gods

The Republic

Legacy Of Rome

Charlemagne (As of April 2015)

Some Music, Clothing and Unit DLC

---

Schedule: (As of the 7th October 2015)

Updates are uploaded on the weekend, though A2 schoolwork and real life woes may cause a delay in updates.
---
Index:

Robert de Hauteville 1066 - 1074

Chapter I The Invasion of the Balkans 1066 - 1068

Chapter II Hail To The King 1068 - 1070

Chapter III The Calm Before The Storm 1070 - 1074
---
Bohemond de Hauteville (the Lionheart) 1074 - 1096

Last edited:
Sounds interesting!
I have no knowledge of HIP, does the HRE also create an antipope Day 1 in it?

Sounds interesting!
I have no knowledge of HIP, does the HRE also create an antipope Day 1 in it?

The HRE does not usually create a antipope but not day one, it usually in the first few years.

subbed

Oooh! I did a nice long Sicily campaign once.
When I transferred to EU IV, I couldn't go thirty years before the Byzantines stepped on me :L

Lucky for me, I won't be converting to EUIV :)

Subbed. Good luck.

Cheers!

The Reign of Robert de Hauteville, Chapter I The Invasion of the Balkans 1066 - 1068

WX2zNbw.png

Duke Robert stood upon overlooking a hill overlooking the 8000 men he had gathered for his invasion of the kingdom of Epirus. In the sea beyond the beach lay 50 ships waiting to carry this mighty force to foreign soil. Standing next to Robert were Roger his brother and Amico his marshal, both were skilled leaders of men and had come with Robert to survey his forces before they embarked on the ships and sailed to war. These are good men and we have good leaders myself included but the Byzantines are a mighty foe, this war will be a challenge. Robert thought as he gazed over the beach. Roger seem to have read his mind for he spoke “you forget brother that the Byzantines are fighting against the kingdom of Persia who are attempted to invade the kingdom of Armenia, virtually all of the forces of the emperor will be tied down in the east allowing us to siege the lands of Epirus unhindered” “you forget Count Roger that the Byzantines have survived such invasions before and they have many men to call upon, not to mention they have the Varangian guard who are feared for their prowess in battle”. These were the words of Amico whose voice was calm and wise yet blunt. Robert had to admit that Amico was right, many nations had fought the Byzantine Empire, and they had all been beaten. Could 8000 men fight and win against the empire even if they were fighting another war? Robert doubted it.

“Enough both of you your opinions about the Byzantines are true in certain aspects but we are still going to carry out the invasion, he turned to Roger brother find Robert one of the army leaders and tell him to take half of our forces and sail to the county of Epirus on the morrow, once he has landed he is to march inland and begin seiging the castle but he is to wait for the remainder of our forces to arrive before attacking Byzantine forces unless he vastly outnumber them”. Roger nodded turned and walked down the hill towards the encampment. Once, he was out of sight Robert turned to Amico, “prepare the men to leave in the morning and find Roussel and Tancred they will serve as commanders alongside Robert” Amico nodded and left leaving Duke Robert standing atop the hill.

4ZvVo32.png

Robert, his fellow army leaders and 4000 men sailed to Epirus the next day leaving the remainder of Duke Roberts’s forces behind on the beach, days later the first blow against the Byzantine was struck at the battle of Paramythia. 4000 men were attacked as they landed in the county of Epirus by roughly 900 Byzantines. Robert’s forces however quickly rallied and cut down the Byzantine attackers slaying them all and only losing 48 men. By the end of November Duke Roberts’s forces had arrived and so brought the total number of men on Byzantine soil up to 8000 men.

oSTb4en.png

mKBDvCy.png

GMA2Qah.png

Over the next few months many battles like the battle of Larisa and sieges like the siege of Bouthroton pushed the war towards victory for Duke Robert. Yet despite all of this victory seemed to be slipping away from Robert. One night in his tent as brooding over maps he began to think. This war is lost; rumors are thick about the Emperors victories over the kingdom of Persia, soon his forces will march back east to attack us and we will be destroyed. I shall end this war with a white peace if I must I shall then return home and focus on my ambition to become king of Sicily. Following this realization Robert sent a message to his wife (who also served as his spymaster) she was to head to Constantinople to gather technology but also to keep an eye on the golden horn and the armies crossing it.

yCCJZq9.png

True to Robert fears a mighty host of 10000 men crossed the golden horn in January 1068. Robert quickly sent a message to the Byzantine emperor asking for a white peace. On the 2nd of February 1068, the Norman Balkan invasion ended. Many of Robert’s advisors admonished him for ending the war, yet Robert had done this for several reasons, firstly he know it would have been nigh impossible to beat the Byzantines in battle and second the peace allowed him to preserve the majority of his troops for a holy war against the Muslim heretics on the island of Sicily. One war may have ended but another would soon begin…

Well, that was lucky. I did not expect the Byzantines to give me a white peace. In fairness I did not know that Robert started the game at war with the Empire so I resolved to try and force a white peace and then focus my expansion in Italy.

Any hints and tips on how to improve writing. (Does it make sense?) or just general comments are much appreciated.

Last edited:
I love HIP mod, so I'll pay attention to this one.

I might've tried my luck against the Byzantine Army, since if they only have around 10,000 troops you'd have a slight advantage, particularly if you fight them in the mountains of Epirus as a defender. Not to mention your starting ruler is a great commander and I don't know who the Byzantines might have to equal him. Will you be coming back for Epirus once you kick the Muslims out of Sicily?

I can't play any Italian game in Crusader Kings II without trying for an early Italian Unification, so if you want a goal there's a fun one.

What's that trait on the right of Brilliant Strategist?

That's "master warrior", which gives you a slight martial boost and a bit of prestige and positive vassal opinion, as well as an edge in combat duels that HIP has.

I love HIP mod, so I'll pay attention to this one.

I might've tried my luck against the Byzantine Army, since if they only have around 10,000 troops you'd have a slight advantage, particularly if you fight them in the mountains of Epirus as a defender. Not to mention your starting ruler is a great commander and I don't know who the Byzantines might have to equal him. Will you be coming back for Epirus once you kick the Muslims out of Sicily?

I can't play any Italian game in Crusader Kings II without trying for an early Italian Unification, so if you want a goal there's a fun one.

I don't think I will be able to from Italia, but I might try for it if I can. I might return to Epirus if the Byzantines are going through a period of turmoil. But I'd rather focus on unifying Sicily right now.

Well, I've arrived safe and well. I'll be looking forward to this one, Saxon. It will be good to see expansion occur at a more leisurely pace. Hopefully this will keep you from burning out too quickly. :)

Looking forward to seeing some actual victories for the Normans.

Well, I've arrived safe and well. I'll be looking forward to this one, Saxon. It will be good to see expansion occur at a more leisurely pace. Hopefully this will keep you from burning out too quickly. :)

Looking forward to seeing some actual victories for the Normans.

Yes, I will try to expand less rapidly in this AAR, and there will be actual victories soon. :)

The Reign of Robert de Hauteville, Chapter II Hail To The King 1068 - 1070

Ly0pseH.png

Following the white peace against the Byzantines, Robert and his forces returned home. The council was sent to do their duties within the realm, yet each council member had weaknesses. Gulimand was known for his lust for women. Amico was known to be slothful and was considered by many to be an arbitrary man. Roger despite being a master of warfare was a craven individual. Sigelgaria was incredibly paranoid and Fraunk was a cruel man and a slow fool. Nevertheless these individuals would serve Robert well in his ambitions to create the kingdom of Sicily and oust the Muslims from the island.

ZTlSEW1.png

Yet despite all of this, Robert was an old man and his skill with the sword was failing, his fighting skills were no longer formidable but he still wielded his blade with great skill. It was also during this period of peace, that Robert took to training his son Boehemond in the art of swordplay which would greatly improve over the next year to the point where Boehemond would be able to hold his own in a fight.

cMzVjHj.png

SjIaaAM.png

In April 1069, Robert received word from his wife in Constantinople that she was pregnant. She would late give birth to a daughter named Fredesesende on the 4th November. During this year Robert was also trying to find a suitable bride for his son and heir Boehemond. A suitable match was found in Princess Emma the sister of the current King Phillip. A betrothal was duly arranged, despite the fact that Emma was several years older the Boehemond.

As autumn arrived and weather began to worsen, Robert met with his brother Roger in his office to discuss finances. “Roger how fares our treasury?” Robert spoke calmly as Roger was sifting through piles of paper on his desk with great speed and agitation. “Well brother at present we have well over 300 gold but you lack enough gold to create the Kingdom of Sicily, I suggest that we expel the Jews from our lands and take their gold to finance the creation of the kingdom what say you?” Robert thought for a moment, Jews occupy key positions in the realm their expulsion might cause serious internal problems but the money is needed sooner rather then later. I must crown myself kingdom consolidate my rule and worry about the repercussions later. “Very well brother spread the word, Jews are to be expelled from the realm they are be allowed to leave peacefully on the condition that they forfeit most of their gold”. “A wise decision brother, I will see to it at once” and with that Roger returned to his ledgers and paperwork not sparing a glance at his brother as he left the room.

jaDPHt8.png

EuzbeUs.png

Over the coming weeks Jews left in hundreds from the counties of the Italian boot, some fled to the Holy Roman Empire other to France either way they would not be seen in Sicily for many years. Robert crowned himself King of Sicily in November 1069, as the crowds cheered as the crown was placed upon his head. His thoughts turned to the Muslim Island of Sicily a land which should by rights be controlled by him. I will drive those Muslim savages from the island and claim it for my own, pray to whatever gods you believe in you Muslim dogs I am coming for you.

Last edited:
Forming the Kingdom of Sicily and expelling the Jewry in a matter of months certainly cements Robert's position as a controversial ruler. I'm interested to see how this approach will be translated onto the European stage.

Forming the Kingdom of Sicily and expelling the Jewry in a matter of months certainly cements Robert's position as a controversial ruler. I'm interested to see how this approach will be translated onto the European stage.

Interesting things occur with the Papacy next chapter my friend. But until I can get enough piety to holy war Sicily, It will be consolidation for the realm.

Subscribes!