• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Update: I will finish the next chapter, this week. Just had little time this week and last to write. Though summer starts next week, so I will have a lot more time to play and write.

Update: I will finish the next chapter, this week. Just had little time this week and last to write. Though summer starts next week, so I will have a lot more time to play and write.
:)

The reign of Tancred De Hautville - Chapter IV Wars, Laws, and a Coming of Age 1108-1110

Back to Iberia

q2hv8L8.png

With the internal revolt dealt with, it was not long before Tancred received a request for aid from his brother in law, Rey Blasco of Castile against his Muslim enemies. Given that Castile was one of Sicily’s few allies capable of aiding them against the Holy Roman Empire to the north, and the fact that Castile was fighting against the heathen Muslims. Tancred accepted his request for aid.

jci07v8.png

As Tancred and his forces were gathering and preparing to board Sicily’s fleet to sail to Iberia in January 1109, news reached Tancred that his brother Roger, who had been married to an Irish duchess, was gathering a force capable of invading Sicily, and claiming it as his own. Tancred resolved to help out Rey Blasco for as short amount of time as possible, before returning to Sicily to prepare for Roger’s invasion.

KEhj0cV.png
1jOn4iP.png

Tancred and his forces soon arrived in Iberia, and quickly set about moping up stray Muslim armies before baiting the Muslim forces into attacking their smaller army, thereby allowing the forces of Castile to come to their aid at the battle of Barbashtir. It was a strong victory for Sicily and her allies with only six thousand men lost for them, compared to well over ten-thousand Muslims. During this battle, Tancred learned the skill of organisation, as he was constantly forced to make quick decision with regard to where he was sending his men on the field of battle.

With this victory in hand, and believing that Rey Blasco could finish the war, Tancred make his excuses and returned to Sicily to prepare for Roger’s invasion. However, it quickly became apparent that Sicilian support was vital for Castile, as they would gradually be ground down by Muslim forces, while Castile did the same to them, neither side could achieve total dominance over the other. Years later, both sides would agree to a white peace, and a sense of quiet returned to the land at least for a time…

The passing of Laws and a Coming of Age

7k8X88b.png
ynNqlyQ.png
lLwB8IK.png

Having returned to Sicily, over the course of three months from July to September 1109, Tancred sought approval for three laws from the nobles of Sicily. In order to keep peace within the realm, to centralize his own power, and to make the nobles provide him more funds and men. These laws would quickly be passed, weakening the power of the nobles somewhat, but improving Tancred’s own power at a time when he needed it most as Roger’s invasion was due in 1110.

6YtYXba.png

Many months would pass until June 1110 when Sunni Muslims rose up in Sicily, while Tancred was gathering his forces to face this small threat, his son and heir William came of age.

r1NV9rP.png

William was in stark contrast to his father, a diplomat not a warrior. William would not have been heir to Sicily had his twin brother Boehemond not died in the cradle of smallpox. Known for his great understanding of diplomacy and foreign policy as well as his respect for the poor, his kindness, and his temperate nature as well as his ambitious nature. William’s only possible weakness was that he was too trusting in a world where backstabbing and betrayal were all too common. He had also be raised to believe in the Sicilian culture and as such would be the first De Huatville king to not follow Normand values. He was betrothed to an English princess giving Sicily another strong ally in the war torn medieval world.

Despite this Roger’s invasion was soon due, and Tancred still needed to remove this Sunni Uprising, before he could focus on the incoming threat…

---

One more chapter to go, before I need to play some more, you will get it tomorrow probably, since I only have five images for it, and most of it will be text. Enjoy this chapter and expect chapters much more frequently since I am now on summer holidays.

Last edited:
So how well are the Christians doing in Iberia against the Muslims? I imagine there's a lot of holy wars going on over there that Castile will drag you into.

It's probably a good thing Prince Boehemond died as a child. I can just imagine the chaos caused by a twin being the heir to the throne. Never know when the younger twin might just knock off the older one and take his place without anyone knowing. :p

So how well are the Christians doing in Iberia against the Muslims? I imagine there's a lot of holy wars going on over there that Castile will drag you into.

It's probably a good thing Prince Boehemond died as a child. I can just imagine the chaos caused by a twin being the heir to the throne. Never know when the younger twin might just knock off the older one and take his place without anyone knowing. :p

Castile, is doing rather well all things considered, the Muslims are losing ground. Though they always need my help to finish them off. Hence the white peace after years of petty warfare. As for Bohemond, your point is sound, though I suspect they would not have been so alike no one could tell them apart. :)

William is probably one of the best diplomats alive at this point... I think the crusades are going to make Sicily a powerhouse...

I will have to check on that, he should be in the top 10 at least. Sicily is powerful, though it might be difficult for me to get the Holy Land and actually hold it against the Muslims...

I will have to check on that, he should be in the top 10 at least. Sicily is powerful, though it might be difficult for me to get the Holy Land and actually hold it against the Muslims...

I'd advice to go for Jerusalem, then vassalize those holy orders and conquering Eqypt on the Shi'ites (since everyone hates 'em at this point) and then Africa. The Seljuks will give you hell though, 'tis true :(. Sicily is in a great position to utilize crusades, but not to conquer their Christian neighbours (who are probably under the HRE umbrella?)

Speaking of the Holy Land, what ever happened to that Irish king of Jerusalem? I can't remember if you've said he's still there or not.

Speaking of the Holy Land, what ever happened to that Irish king of Jerusalem? I can't remember if you've said he's still there or not.

I actually have no idea, I will check when I get round to installing HIP over the next few days.

Last edited:
I'd advice to go for Jerusalem, then vassalize those holy orders and conquering Eqypt on the Shi'ites (since everyone hates 'em at this point) and then Africa. The Seljuks will give you hell though, 'tis true :(. Sicily is in a great position to utilize crusades, but not to conquer their Christian neighbors (who are probably under the HRE umbrella?)

I will think about it, though it will be difficult as I have already said, though I like a challenge. As for the HRE, its giant and has France under its influence and is a veritable powerhouse. So expansion northwards would be suicide.

The reign of Tancred De Hautville - Chapter V The Irish Invasion 1110 - 1112

The Sunni Revolt

nNpBUJ0.png

The Sunni revolt was quickly put down after one battle, the leader Ghumer was executed, and Tancred returned to preparing to weather the Irish Invasion.

The Irish Invasion

x1C3YPY.png
KXp6AKI.png

1kfgK5S.png

It was in the year 1111, that Roger’s invasion began, however the invasion which had been greatly feared by Tancred ended up being laughable easy to defeat. Roger despite having more then enough ships to carry all his forces, sent them piecemeal, to Sicily and they were quickly destroyed one after the other in a succession of easy victories followed by picking off the weakened forces. By early 1112 the war was nearly over and Tancred sent a small force to Ireland to mop up the remaining adventures at the battle of Daire. (Forgot to take a image for it sorry.)

tEhTf13.png

With this final victory on Irish soil, the war was won and Roger was placed in Tancred’s custody awaiting trial. Both Sicily as a nation and Tancred as a king had proven their ability to hold their own against foreign threats. But were would Tancred go from here? Would he expand his holdings or further reinforce his hold on Sicily?

---

Yep, that is literally what happened with Roger and his forces. He had enough ships and sent them piecemeal. (Facepalm) though his forces were slightly smaller then mine so he could have won if I was unlucky. Sorry for the shortage of the chapter as well, just was not that much to work with. But yes, I need your wisdom readers, expansion or consolidation, voice your opinions in the comments...

Last edited:
Well I finally got round to the general fixing of the thread. All chapters text and images should be in the same place and same size as the current ones for the sake of keeping things neat. As a side note I have no more material to work with but I will reinstall HIP, and get back to Sicily within the next week or so. but if you want to read any other stuff that I am working on while you wait for the De Hautvilles to return, I do recommend you check out my new AAR The Falk Chronicles which will be running alongside this and we have another chapter out later this week.

Well who'd expect anyone with a name like Flaith Roger to be good at anything. :p

It all depends on how uppity your vassals are. If they're considering rebellion, consolidate; if they're loyal, expand.

Well who'd expect anyone with a name like Flaith Roger to be good at anything. :p

It all depends on how uppity your vassals are. If they're considering rebellion, consolidate; if they're loyal, expand.

HIP, has titles before the respective name, in this instance, flaith means Roger is an Irish Duke, I did not name him that...

Good advice, but I have no concrete idea were to expand too.. Africa maybe, or perhaps the holy land...

HIP, has titles before the respective name, in this instance, flaith means Roger is an Irish Duke, I did not name him that...

Good advice, but I have no concrete idea were to expand too.. Africa maybe, or perhaps the holy land...

Well that makes a lot more sense. I was wondering what kind of name Flaith was. Apparently it isn't a name at all. :p

Well since you're in Sicily, perhaps grabbing land in Tunisia or nearby would work. It's much easier to hold onto land that is nearby after all.

I now have material for chapter VI, and a world update for 1116. Expect those this weekend. (Was planning on doing one yesterday, but the internet broke.) Once next week rolls around, I will be focusing more on summer work. Though my AARS will still be updated, hopefully at least once a week. :)

I believe some people, wanted to know what happened to the Irish King, so here he is...

UZUh8VN.png
tJzRhYf.png

Yep, dead and at such a young age. :( This image was taken three years after he run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. He did have a daughter who took the throne, as you can see but she is an infant and the Holy Land will soon be lost, (hell when I checked over there at the end of the last session the Muslim were at war with her and they were at 96% war score.

Last edited:
One man´s death is another man´s bread, as we say in the Netherlands. (Meaning that Jerusalem is now, of course, awaiting your glorious conquest ;) )

We are going to war, but not in the Holy Land I will not be able to hold easily, North Africa however is another story... :)