• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Saxon125

Colonel
44 Badges
Jun 22, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
The Falk Chronicles (a hopefully funny/humorous chronicle of House Falk)

Greetings, readers and welcome to another AAR.

This AAR will be similar to the Pendragon Chronicles, so I will telling the story of House Falk, (who will be a custom dynasty) from the Charlemagne start starting in the Uppsala duchy in Sweden. The main difference from the Pendragon Chronicles is that I will be telling the story from my perspective, as the scheming manipulative puppeteer pulling the strings of the dynasty. It will also be a comedy AAR, so I will try to be funny and humorous (don't break out your pitchforks and torches.)
----

Objectives:

Form Sweeden

Form Scandinavia (optional)

To stay pagan for as long as possible, (though I am able to convert if needs must).

Convert to Fedualism
----

Rules:

No save scumming

no console abuse

I reserve the right to do any/all of the following to the dynasty going. Kinslaying, child murdering, assassination bribery and so on. Though I will not abuse the game mechanics.

----

Major DLC:

The Republic

Legacy of Rome

The Old Gods

Sons of Abraham

Charlemagne
----
Wish me luck folks and I hope I am able to write something funny.

Any help, with regard to the tribal mechanics would be appreciated. As a side note this AAR is on the 2.2.1 patch to make it easier to work on my Italian Boot AAR since they are both on the same patch.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The Falk Chronicles
Ragnar Falk
Chapter I Examining The Situation and Getting Ragnar Hitched: (769)

9dwUNlg.png

Well here he is King Ranger Falk, a master of intrigue but little else. For the sake of a creditable canon, we shall say that he killed the previous king and took his place. (Though Sigurdr Ring is still alive and well). But enough about that we need to examine what we can achieve with Ragnar at present.

1cRCFqa.png

As you can see Scandinavia is an area full of petty kings and chiefs, with no truly dominant power, (apart from Sjaelland and possibly us.) My plan for the time being is simple, grab land to expand Ragnar’s power base while keeping an eye on the Danes to prevent from becoming too powerful. While this sounds simple, I have to do this will keeping an eye on Ragnar’s vassals, as well as his council who will probably take any opportunity to blow him up in a manure explosion or some other elegant and refined way to die.

With that said let us have a look at my vassals and council, as well as the various other tabs to see our situation.

93tCI5x.png

Well Ragnar’s vassals hate him with a passion, and with the amount of land I will be grabbing there will soon be many men talking in hushed whispers and rubbing their hands with glee, as they think of a way to kill Ragnar. Perhaps falling off a balcony?

DvsnHAR.png

Ragnar’s council is no better, only the steward likes Ragnar, maybe he will defend the king with his body, as the other councilors try to shank their king to death. Or he may just wait until they are finished and take any coins off his copse…

8RuR7Yh.png

The current heir is the son of Sigurdr Ring, which is fine for the moment, since given the fact that Ragnar is lustful, and a hedonist, its possible he may have more kids then Sweyn II of Denmark. Gavelkind however is the real issue, bastards will not have a chance of inheriting so I had better be careful and make sure Ragnar does not take concubines and if the worst comes to worst I can always resort to child murdering. (See the rules section if you are against this.)

Laws are fine for the moment, though I will have to prioritize tribal organization and centralization, since I want Ragnar to be tribal for as short a time as possible.

UrCH11j.png

On the technology side, Ragnar’s lands are about as advanced as cavemen at present. A focus on shipbuilding, light infantry and military organization is needed, in the economy side, castle infrastructure, town infrastructure and keeps will be good to focus on. While, in culture legalism is the priority as a high level of that is needed to become feudal.

rYznRg6.png

Ragnar’s military is pretty good; with 3000 men we can easily subjugate our neighbors in order to consolidate his power. Might run into trouble if Sjaelland decides to knock on our door.

97rVHxR.png

And finally before we actually start playing, the religion tab, we start out with one holy site, but rather low religious authority, might take some time before I am able to become reformed Norse.

kczsXvu.png

But enough waffling, time to get Ragnar married, a quick scan through the marriage bar, revels many priestesses and one infant Norse noble child. I quickly decide to marry him to Gyda Inga, mostly because she is of the same faith, she is to be quite frank a awful seer, but I have seen less learning on Popes in my time playing CK2. We lose 100 prestige for marrying her but gain 100 thanks to the second option on the marriage event leaving Ragnar with 30 prestige.

Ki5Ac5O.png

Having fulfilled Ragnar’s ambition to get married. I decide to make him want to become King of the Swedes, next chapter it will be time to go to war…

---

Well this AAR is officially up and running, well over a month after I started the thread. Tell me what you think in the comments.

I was wondering when you'd start this AAR. I'm always hesitant to comment until an actual update is posted. Glad to see it start up. :)

Gydja isn't the most desirable wife Ragnar could find, but as long as she pumps out those babies she'll do. :p

I was wondering when you'd start this AAR. I'm always hesitant to comment until an actual update is posted. Glad to see it start up. :)

Gydja isn't the most desirable wife Ragnar could find, but as long as she pumps out those babies she'll do. :p

Yeah, I started the thread with enthusiasm, then realized I did not have much/any time to get it going. It was only today when I reinstalled CK2 that I thought 'I'd better start this otherwise I will just die' glad to have you along for the ride. As for Gydja her only purpose is to give Ragnar children.

The Falk Chronicles
Ragnar Falk
Chapter II Up a Certain Creek (769 – 772)

So we have Ragnar hitched, and that puts the issue of children to the side, at least for the time being. Of course Ranger or Inga could die horrible deaths but let us hope that will not happen.

E1P6TQu.png

Now it is time for some land grabbing, using the good old subjugation mechanic. The first target is Austergautland to the south. The current king Hjorvardr has about 1000 men so if things go south for us in a bad battle, Ragnar could be up a certain creek without a certain instrument. Still Ragnar’s needs land and so war is declared.

Now normally I would show you every battle screen that I have available, but considering that battling against other tribes in CK2 usually results in you running down a force dealing a small blow to them and rinsing and repeating I shall not do that due to the fact that I had about ten battle victory screens and this chapter already has enough images as it is.

41KvJFT.png

Interestingly enough Ragnar ends up fighting on the battle line, without me noticing and gets a battle focus. I pick winter terrain for the boost to supply in winter and a boost to attack in wintery provinces.

8UgZWQJ.png

As the war carries on casing down ever smaller tribal forces. Ragnar loses his wounded trait and gets a lovely scar across his eye. Surly the ladies will swoon before him even more now that has a manly scar?

d8esS0J.png

The war ends a few months later, and Ragnar gets some more counties and a dukedom, while at the same time, pissing off Hjorvardr for taking his land out from under him. Not that I care, (though I will have cause to eat my words later.)

rpKPRQ3.png

We take a quick break from war, to do something that everyone does in CK2, murder and plot. For Hjorvardr, only has one son, and while he is married (to a 16 year old) the chances of procreating are about as likely, as a fox being caught by a pack of one-legged hunting tortoises. Should he die, and then his son the land should pass to Ragnar by default. However, no one wants to jump on this plotting bandwagon and Ragnar cannot grease anyone’s palms, and so Ragnar’s plot power is limited to 90%.

WVSsd7y.png

Time to try and consolidate Ragnar’s power through the increase of tribal authority, which will allow the revocation of titles to further his own power. Or it would if it were not stopped in its tracks by very angry vassals. Only three votes, so far, and those are Ragnar’s…

mrUl3PO.png

We return to subjugation in January 770, going to war against Oddr of Vestergautland and we win the war, taking the dukedom of Vestergautland but no other lands (forgot to take a victory image, so you will have to take my world for it.) We can now add another vassal who hates us to the list.

XYjGbfa.png

Before the year is out Inga gets pregnant, Ragnar seems to be skilled when it comes to rolling the oats; he and Inga have been married for over a year, and they already have a kid on the way.

AUgkdtc.png
uA9n5m7.png

Seems like Ragnar hates Oddr more then a thought since he challenges him to Holmgang, and Oddr accepts the challenge. Ragnar’s chances of winning are apparently very good, and there is a great battle full of blood violence and insults, or there would be if the last event fired and I knew who won…

Gf47ZFb.png

But something more important happens then a victory in an ancient Nordic ritual, a son is born and Ragnar has an heir, he is named Ulfric, after everyone’s favourite racist Nord. Sigurdr Ring’s son is cast of out of the election for the next king and Ulfric receives 10 votes securing the succession. This is one of the few good things to happen this chapter, and it is about to get worse.

UEwRpmu.png
y71xNLP.png

I decide to order a Great Blot to improve vassal opinion, forget that Ragnar have no prisoners in the dungeon and so have to pay for thralls to be hung, given the fact that Ragnar has to pay fifty gold for the Blot and then fifty gold for the thralls, he is now in debt, the blot achieves nothing and there is no increase in votes for tribal authority and even my greasing of palms with titles does nothing.

So in summary, Ragnar is in debt, his vassals hate him and so he cannot pass any laws. He has enough men for more expansion but that would only make things worse. The only good thing that has happened is that the succession is secure but hey things can only get better right?

---

Yep we are not in a brilliant position right now, hopefully I can get us out of this hole...

Nothing like a bunch of angry vassals to keep you on your toes. Even though they should love conquest as vikings, I guess they don't approve of it when it's directed at them. :p

Ulfric Battleborn!! Surely he will become a great warrior leader if Ragnar manages to pass all these early beginning troubles.. is there a chance to raid someone near the border for some gold?

I am planning on tutoring Ulfric as a warrior, and the only viable target is Germany, which would force me to march through Denmark, pushing me further into debt...

Also welcome aboard. :)

Nothing like a bunch of angry vassals to keep you on your toes. Even though they should love conquest as vikings, I guess they don't approve of it when it's directed at them. :p

This is true, though most of their negative opinion comes from the short reign modifier, which is three times as big for Norse pagans. So they have -45 right off the bat. Furthermore an independence faction has formed, though with my forces I can put down, though it will grow bigger at this rate... Hopefully I can pacify my vassals and get out of debt, before they kill Ragnar or his son.

It really is so much fun when danger abounds, as in this case ! Will you be able to find any friends amidst so many foes ? May the Force be with you.... :D

It really is so much fun when danger abounds, as in this case ! Will you be able to find any friends amidst so many foes ? May the Force be with you.... :D

I will find out soon enough, once I get round to finishing the next two chapters of The Italian Boot, and then play this save again. :)

Well, we have a problem people as in the save has decided to flip me the middle finger and corrupt itself... :( yep that is another ARR dead in the water, before it got going. (that takes the count up to two.) Well, can't be helped, suppose it allows me to focus on the Italian Boot...

Aw, that sucks. :( Well since this one is so new, you could restart it if you wanted. Then again, your Sicily one is great and I wouldn't mind if you focused on that one.

Aw, that sucks. :( Well since this one is so new, you could restart it if you wanted. Then again, your Sicily one is great and I wouldn't mind if you focused on that one.

On the bright side the world update for 1116 is finally done and out, so you can read that. :)

Well, we have a problem people as in the save has decided to flip me the middle finger and corrupt itself... :( yep that is another ARR dead in the water, before it got going. (that takes the count up to two.) Well, can't be helped, suppose it allows me to focus on the Italian Boot...

Oh, poo ! A shame about the Falk. Good thing there's still Sicily :)